PDA

View Full Version : The frizz thread

girlcat36
March 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
This is all about the evil frizz. No one likes it, it ain't pretty, and lots of us have it.
Since my hair is super-frizzy, I miss the old LHC frizz thread and reading about others experiences with it.
While LHC was down, I discovered that mixing aloe gel, glycerin, and oil can make my hair nearly frizz free. Yay!

snoopy
March 11th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi girlcat36,
I completely understand frizz, some days it really gives me nightmares,
will glycerin and oil in your mix make hair look oily

girlcat36
March 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I use one drop glycerin, one drop avocado oil and a pea sized dollop of aloe vera gel mixed in my hand and applied to wet hair. My hair is really dry on the length, so it doesn't look oily.

cutastrophe
March 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
where do you buy glycerin? :confused:

Curlsgirl
March 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
The only thing I have found to get rid of frizz is AG re:coil. I love that stuff. If they quit making it I might shave my head LOL. Coconut oil helps too and I use it over the re:coil while my hair is still damp. The combination really eliminates my frizz. LOVE it! It's good to find something that works isn't it?

Stagecoach
March 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
where do you buy glycerin? :confused:

You local drug store or grocery should carry it in the lotions and skin care section.

darkwaves
March 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Frizz. Yep. Frizz.

Do you notice some place are worse than others? That's one reason I rarely wear my hair down at work -- there's something about the heating/dry air that sparks my hair into frizz. The worst place ever is my office.

allyall
March 11th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Frizz - before I found LHC and read Curly Girl, I thought frizzy rain hair was when my hair looked best! I guess that's what happens when you are brushing out your curls...they rebel to look better. Now I hate frizzy rain hair!

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Frizz used to be a HUGE problem for me until I got off the sulfates and cones and started treating my hair nicely. Once my hair was healthier my frizz issues virtually disappeared, imagine that! :rolleyes:

AutumnLeaves
March 12th, 2008, 03:19 AM
It seems that I always have frizz...unless I straighten with a curling iron or use rollers. I mist with EVOO and water and it helps a bit towards curling rather than frizzing. For me, other than first day curls (day of shampooing and conditioning), I always have frizz. Sigh...

Patchouli
March 12th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I always have frizz too :(
The only way I could calm it slightly was moussing my hair straight after washing but I'm trying to avoid those kind of products now and the frizz is back!
Will try leave in conditioner, then coconut oil and see what happens.

far_away
March 12th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Does anyone else with waves/curls find that when they weight their hair down with oils etc to eliminate frizz their hair stops waving? I find it a really difficult balance. Does anyone have any advice?

Curlsgirl
March 12th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Does anyone else with waves/curls find that when they weight their hair down with oils etc to eliminate frizz their hair stops waving? I find it a really difficult balance. Does anyone have any advice?

What I do is add the oil as my hair is still wet, only a bit towel blotted out of the shower. I use coconut oil and when I add it I actually "scrunch" it in like I do my AG re:coil and BWC leave-in. Last time I "scrunched it in while it was still really wet and then used the AG re:coil and let it dry completely and it was really nice. I am going to do this next time again. If you let the curls totally "set" before touching them it makes a huge difference. I was sacrificing a little curl for the oil before too when I added it while it was still not dry all the way.

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM
im a frizball most of the time.. my waves are untamable alot of the time... if i wet braid and let my hair down im a puff ball too.. i dont like to oil my hair exept for one drop of camellia when its absolutely neccisary... my hair doesnt like most oils. aloe makes my hair really knotted. oh how i long for sleek pin straight hair

harley mama
March 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I control frizz with a few drops of EO and jojoba scrunched into my soppy wet hair.
Although since I have shed so much the last few months, I don't have as much frizz as I use to. I really miss my frizz!

yzkaloha
March 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I have begun to use a mix of Shea Butter and Jojoba oil to tame my frizz and for the most part it works wonders to control frizz and give my curls definition. For the canopy, I use a bit of Aloe Vera Gel for a little added help.

Kittee
March 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I am frizz queen. Currently I'm trying out a new combo...

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=149897&catid=3562

after

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=86553&catid=10341
and
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=86554&catid=10327

So far I like it I think. I've only been using it for 2 weeks now. My ends seem softer too.

squiggyflop
March 12th, 2008, 07:35 AM
wow i guess its mostly curlys that get frizz... im a wavygirl but i still hav alot of frizz

far_away
March 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
What I do is add the oil as my hair is still wet, only a bit towel blotted out of the shower. I use coconut oil and when I add it I actually "scrunch" it in like I do my AG re:coil and BWC leave-in. Last time I "scrunched it in while it was still really wet and then used the AG re:coil and let it dry completely and it was really nice. I am going to do this next time again. If you let the curls totally "set" before touching them it makes a huge difference. I was sacrificing a little curl for the oil before too when I added it while it was still not dry all the way.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it at the next wash :)

auntdaisy
March 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I would love to wear my hair down more, but just can't stand the frizz I have most of the time. I need to get the ratio of aloe, glycerin and water down for a spray...I have either gotten too much aloe and end up with crunchy, plastic hair, or not enough, so it's virtually useless. Argh! Back to the lab!:cool:

Tapioca
March 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM
As far as the aloe, glycerin, and jojoba goes, try Kimberlily's de-frizz recipe. I've been using it for a few months, and it's really helping. I water it down in a mister for here-and-there misting and to detangle my daughter's hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

Xandergrammy
March 12th, 2008, 10:52 AM
It seems that I always have frizz...unless I straighten with a curling iron or use rollers. I mist with EVOO and water and it helps a bit towards curling rather than frizzing. For me, other than first day curls (day of shampooing and conditioning), I always have frizz. Sigh...

Don't feel bad, AutumnLeaves- I always have a certain amount of frizz too no matter what I do. I've been told to think of it as my "halo"!

birthmarkie
March 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I took pictures of my frizz up close today - not pretty. It's all baby hair, I think.

ETA: ...and I have straight hair... I know it is unusual.

curlylocks85
December 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I know all too well about frizz. However, since I changed my routine where I leave the conditioner in my hair after I shower, the frizz is barely there.

I think when it comes to curly/wavy hair if there is frizz it will always be there in some form, but if we find what our hair likes and desires there will be a lot less.

If there is a secret to fizzles hair, I hope it is discovered in my lifetime.

Quixii
December 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Ugh. Frizz! I'm so sick of it. I need to find the magical thing that makes it go away. >.<
I tried leaving in a bunch of V05 last night, and it seems to have helped some, but not completely. I had better success leaving in a ton of Aloe vera, though that still wasn't perfect.

Curlsgirl
December 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Quixii have you tried mixing coconut oil with the other products or layering coconut oil over them?

Quixii
December 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Quixii have you tried mixing coconut oil with the other products or layering coconut oil over them?
Leave-ins in general are a new thing for me. I don't own any coconut oil yet, and I still usually don't do any leave in. ^^; Thus far, I've tried Aloe vera gel, some brand's "curly hair gel", and now the V05. Each individually, and only once. ^^;

TheEndlessOcean
December 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I've always had trouble with frizz, but so far my best solution has been to leave in some conditioner, use a lot of gel, then some jojoba oil before it dries.

Debra83
December 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
mixed chicks have videos on their site that really helped me find the curl in my hair and not bring out the frizz.....and I'm not even a mixed chick!!! (see my album, not my sig pic!!!)

zule
December 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I have good luck with the very teeniest amount of jojoba oil on the crown and aloe vera at the ends. I get glycerin at the pharmacy and sometimes the pharmacist herself has it in back. It all depends on how big your drugstore is and their hair care section is.

You can get it in health food stores and some grocery stores--once again, depending on how large their hair care sections are.

My biggest problem comes from baby hair halo, not frizz. But no matter how non-frizzy it gets after a shampoo/conditioning, it still gets frizzy on a humid or rainy day. Still, I love the curls and waves of my hair, so I'll trade them for a little frizz.

prittykitty
December 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
My hair is huge big frizzy mess since I had to stop using leave in conditioners due to breakage from protein overload so what can I do? I use jojoba oil after I wash and condition but my hair is still very big and frizzy! Help!

GlassEyes
December 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM
My hair is huge big frizzy mess since I had to stop using leave in conditioners due to breakage from protein overload so what can I do? I use jojoba oil after I wash and condition but my hair is still very big and frizzy! Help!
Uh, use a leave-in without protein? Maybe try a regular conditioner that doesn't have any?

getoffmyskittle
December 14th, 2009, 06:50 AM
*raises hand*

It's absolutely insurmountable on day one. Generally I just regard it as part of the poof that follows washing. By day two, it's tameable with a couple drops of oil.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM
That's an old problem for me...castor oil as a leave-in every day solved my problem :cheese:

Quixii
December 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
While we're on the subjects of leave ins, how do you guys.. leave them in? Like, saturate your hair and then just let it get your back all oily? shudder:

coscass
December 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of my frizz. People just keep telling me to leave more conditioner in my hair and it'll go away, but haven't seen any good results so far :/

girlcat36
December 15th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Sometimes frizz is also a sign that you need to clarify. It's true for me, anyway.

GlassEyes
December 15th, 2009, 07:11 AM
While we're on the subjects of leave ins, how do you guys.. leave them in? Like, saturate your hair and then just let it get your back all oily? shudder:
I apply it to wet hair, and then twist it in a microfiber towel or tee-shirt until it's only a little bit damp, then leave it. Doesn't tend to make my clothes wet that way, but before that, yes, I just let it soak my back and neck. Not very comfortable.

prittykitty
December 24th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Uh, use a leave-in without protein? Maybe try a regular conditioner that doesn't have any?
I am using a protein free regular rinse out conditioner now, but my hair is still wild and frizzy. I can't find a leave in that is protein free.

Belisarius
December 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Does oiling count as a leave-in or as a replacement, can you do both? Should you do both?

prittykitty
December 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Does oiling count as a leave-in or as a replacement, can you do both? Should you do both?
Oiling gave me crunchy hard ends.

marobader
December 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I hate jill on my hair is there are eny think alse?