PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday I Loved My Hair - Today I Hate It!

HairFaerie
October 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Anyone else suffer from hair bi-polarism?

Yesterday, I washed, conditioned & gently blow dried it (as I always do) and it came out so nice! It felt long and thick and it laid just right everywhere. No weird flippy things sticking out the back, no "wings" on the sides. I started to think "Oh, yay! Finally, it's growing past that awkward stage"!

Now, today...it had to go and prove me wrong!

I did the exact same routine I usually do, (same shampoo & conditioner, same way of gently blow drying, etc.) But today I have wings and flippy things! Also the way it wants to part on the side looks hideous.

I don't understand how it can do that! You would think if you do the same thing, it would look the same every day...NO! That's not the case! It's frustrating! :mad:

OK, just had to get that off my chest! :)

2peasinapod
October 4th, 2010, 04:46 PM
OMG! I remember that stage well! Especially the wings :(. Most days, I just put a scarf over my hair and tried to forget about it. I certainly didn't want to do that again!

Sorry, but I think the best advice is just to grow through it. On the plus side, my "wings" turned out to be waves when they got some length - maybe yours will, too! In any case, I hope you get a growth spurt and can put this behind you soon. :flower:

Kaileida
October 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Haha, seconding what was said above- those will grow into waves :)

ericthegreat
October 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I totally understand what your going thro. You would think that pin straight hair wouldn't be tempermental, but my hair definitely has a mind of its own. It falls however it wants to and sometimes it wants to part over in places I don't want it to part over.
Like you, one day I'll wake up to great hair that looks very shiny and swingy. But then the next day, my hair will be very flat at the roots, look a lot duller and less shiny, and I feel like hiding it all under a giant hat. I know I don't change anything in my routine, I use the same conditioner every time I CO so I know its not that. I've just accepted that we will all get good hair days and bad hair days. The good thing about longer hair is that even on a bad hair day, you can always fix it up into a neat ponytail or bun or other updo.

HairFaerie
October 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I agree, those "wings" will grow into waves. As my hair gets longer, the waves get more and more apparent. The last time I had BSL, I had waves.

I just find it so odd that one day hair can do one thing and the next day, it does something totally different even though you did the exact same thing (as Eric said)!

I know once it grows out, I will probably still have the same problem, just different because it will be longer!

*Sigh*

I guess it's just "one of those things".

renarok
October 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM
this too shall pass.

WaitingSoLong
October 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I agree with everything Eric said. One of my goals for 2010 was to find a hair care routine. I know it has to be a cycle that includes ACV rinses and deep conditioning treatments with the occasional clarify. But I have not found that niche that lets my hair function at full potential ALL the time. I have ruled OUT some things, but nothing so far gives me consistent results. On my bad days, I am very tempted to cut it all off. Of course, I never do.

I keep a hair journal, of when I do things so I can see how often. That way, if I am having a bad day, I can look and say "Oh, I haven't clarified in a month" or something. But sometimes there is just no "cure" and I just stuff my hair in some bun and cover it with a scarf. Like today. LOL.

Edited to say my avatar is a good hair day. I need to take some pics of my bad hair days, too, because believe me, my hair only looks like that once a month, if I am lucky!

ericthegreat
October 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with everything Eric said. One of my goals for 2010 was to find a hair care routine. I know it has to be a cycle that includes ACV rinses and deep conditioning treatments with the occasional clarify. But I have not found that niche that lets my hair function at full potential ALL the time. I have ruled OUT some things, but nothing so far gives me consistent results. On my bad days, I am very tempted to cut it all off. Of course, I never do.

I keep a hair journal, of when I do things so I can see how often. That way, if I am having a bad day, I can look and say "Oh, I haven't clarified in a month" or something. But sometimes there is just no "cure" and I just stuff my hair in some bun and cover it with a scarf. Like today. LOL.

Edited to say my avatar is a good hair day. I need to take some pics of my bad hair days, too, because believe me, my hair only looks like that once a month, if I am lucky!

Yep. Don't be fooled by my pictures guys, I ONLY take photos when I am having a great hair day. I usually take photos right after washing out a coconut oil treatment or other conditioning treatment, that's why my hair is ultra shiny in all my pics. My hair is not that shiny and certainly not that bouncy on a regular normal day! On a normal day, my hair will usually just hang there and it feels plastered to my head. When my hair is really bad I don't dare wear it down if I'm going out, I will twist it up in a low bun before going out.

FrizzFighter
October 4th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I can relate. My hair has a different personality every other day!

BelleBot
October 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I can very much relate. Some days it feels like it's shrunk in length and I hate it! Others it feels lovely and long and healthy and I love it.
Today I'm rather liking my hair as it's nice and soft and shiny. However the nice ringlets/waves I put into it have all dropped out which is annoying. And yesterday I couldn't stand my hair as the length felt all coated and waxy and nasty and wouldn't dry. But this morning it was heavenly.

Very much a love/hate relationship at times :p

~Bluemoon~
October 4th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I've definitely gone through similar issues too. One day my routine works fine, then another day no matter what I do my hair wont cooperate. Sometimes I think it could be the weather. The weather around where I live can really fluctuate.

HereIGrowAgain
October 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm in the same boat, at the exact same length. Last week my hair was planning a revolt, and so I beat it into submission by wearing tichels the last part of the work week and all weekend. Today, I used *gasp* product. Gel and hairspray. It turned out super-cute, so maybe the look will work for you? Ok, so I started by putting gel throughout. Then I slicked the sides to behind my ears. Then I combed a section from the crown, forward, and then lifted that up and slightly to one side, to make a slight poofy pin-back-the-bangs effect. I secured with one plain bobby pin, and one fancy-dancy sparkly pin over the plain one, crossed to secure. Then, I took the blowdryer to the back of the head and blew it dry (on low of course), pushing my fingers from the base of my neck up, so that everything in the back stuck out. Once it was about halfway dry, I started putting hairspray in it, and continued to dry in the same manner. Once it was all dry in the back (the front air dried after a while), I sprayed more hairspray to get it to stay. It was the first time in a while I've gotten compliments on my hair. Yuck to growing out shorties!

It was like this, (http://www.short-hairstyles.com/zoom/s97.jpg) except the bangs were pulled back and pinned towards the side, and more of it was tucked behind the ears. Basically, it's a way to deal with the swoopy ways my hair wants to go in, and make it look like I meant to do that.

Have you been over to the super-shorties thread? There's a few of us with the same issues over there! :)

yvsa
October 5th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Ooh the wings:confused:. I can totally relate to this. My hair is wavy and sometimes my wings lay nice but more often it is like; some day I'll fly away:p. This is actually the reason I've never made it to grow my hair out.