PDA

View Full Version : Post partum shedding = extremely sensitive scalp?

Gypsygirl
October 4th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Love this post partum shedding...LOL...but I'm not freaking out about it at this point. This, too, shall pass...right? The one thing that is worrying me is my scalp- it's insanely sensitive at the moment! I can't use most of the products it used to love anymore, in fact, I've been using my daughter's baby shampoo because it's the only one that doesn't make my scalp hurt or itch. It's nowhere near perfect, but at least I get through the day without rubbing or scratching like crazy. Is this normal? I mean, does this have anything to do with the shedding at all or should I ask my doctor about this?

JayLee
October 4th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I too am going through the big post-baby shedding. It is scary! But I am not having the itchy scalp problem you are having. Maybe it would be worth getting it checked if it is bothering you that much.

weatherwax
October 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
FWIW, I did not have itching/burning scalp during The Big PostPartum Shed . . .

It's probably no big thing, but--that sounds really miserable! I think a visit to the dermatologist is justified. Could be a sensitivity to something in (or something about) most hair products, or it could be something called trichodynia (aka non-allergic scalp pain, sometimes it's related to hair loss), or something else entirely. None of it serious, but why suffer?

I hope your scalp stops driving you crazy soon. And congrats on your baby!

Lisa R
October 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I feel your pain! Not that I had an itchy scalp but the shedding. Ahhh! I lost so much hair I was worried what would be left. Thank goodness I stopped shedding after about 5-6months post partum. Congratulations on your bubby! I know you are using your baby shamppo. Some baby shampoo out there is nearly full of everything that adults use. I would try a nice natural shampoo first. Not sure if you can get this but in Australia we have Gaia and Avaado which are lovely natural Shampoo's. Check what you might've been eating that might be different. Hormonal changes could possibly be a factor. Maybe even the water might have changed a little? I wish you all the best with finding some answer.

jayde9
October 5th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I too went through post partum shedding. When my daughter turned 4 months, my hair started sheddign everywhere. Hated washing it,cause It was everywhere in the shower. Would find it all over the laundry, carpet, etc. My hair contined to shed till she was about 7 months, so about 3.5 months of it. My hair really thinned out, which it was pretty thin to begin with. I wear it up alot because the ends are so scraggly and thin, but do not want to cut it just yet. So its been about 3 months now since the excessive shedding stopped and I have so much new regrowth. I have about 1.5 inch hairs all down my part and around my face. I have the wings at my temples. Its horrible, but I am really glad it is growing back in, but makes it hard to have a cute hairstyle. So hang in there ladies, it gets better and will stop. I can remember when I would sit in silence wondering if I was going to go bald.