PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cut

atlantaz3
October 4th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I've waited out the two week rule so many times, this time I'm going for it. I made my appointment a few weeks ago and will get layers on Friday. I'm ready for a change. I've been trying to get to waist length for two years and it's just not going to happen for me. The most length I've had in two years is 26 inches and that is with only three 1/2 trims a year. I don't think it's breaking because lately all I see are really long shed hair and not alot of split ends. I'm frustrated because my hair is too thick and too short for the updos I see here that I want to try! I want to keep as much length as possible and probably start layers about ear lenght. I really like this pic of Carrie Underwood http://www.beautifulhairstyles.com/prom/down/carrieunderwood.html
and Megyn Price
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0697044/
and know that I will spend the rest of my morning with hot rollers - it's time. Wish me luck - I'm taking the day off from work for this!

myotislucifugus
October 4th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Rock on! Good luck, I'm sure it will turn out gorgeous!

spitfire511
October 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Good luck!! I don't have your length but do have layers and am having fun with them - :-) post pics!

Fairlight63
October 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
You have beautiful hair now. I bet that you will have beautiful hair with the layers also. Go for it if that is what you want to try.

MsBubbles
October 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Have fun! Let us know how it goes!

I just always assumed that those styles on celebs like Carrie Underwood (where they have those spirally waves coming out the bottom of their hair) were extensions. That is to say, that's how I think they achieve that look: through extensions.

Arianwen
October 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
It's your choice but I want to say, I like your hair the way it is now. If you get layers you might have trouble with up-dos, too.

Deborah
October 4th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I think your hair is just beautiful the way it is right now. I think you should leave it alone, and let it (slowly) grow longer.

The choice is yours, of course: I'm just tossing in my opinion. I would not take scissors to that lovely hair!

spidermom
October 4th, 2010, 11:20 AM
The examples you posted look a lot curlier than your hair, which means your layers aren't going to do that without curlers. Are you ready for that?

I so understand the need for something new, though. I'm so sick of my old lady buns and how my hair goes all over the place and tangles when it's down.

Angelica
October 4th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Your hair is beautiful and I would give anything to have hair like you. Personally I don't like layers, but then my hair is very fine and thin :(

Carrie Underwood's hair looks lovely and speaking from my point of view, I couldn't cope with all the messing that hairstyle would take. I have said bye bye to rollers and never want to return.

It is your hair of course and I wish you luck and hope that you will be happy with the result. I guess you are feeling a bit bored with your hair now. It happens to all of us I think at some time. So good luck and I look forward to seeing photographs of the new you.

Oskimosa
October 4th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I did it, and I'm loving it! Good luck :)

KristiLe
October 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Everyone needs a change once in a while! :)

pennylane
October 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I have a few long layers on the front only, i cut them myself, very little , I think they look nice :) they soften and give movement to hair!

Good luck!:blossom:

DrkAngel
October 4th, 2010, 03:41 PM
i say go for it! layers are fun, just a pain to grow out :p

ericthegreat
October 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I definitely understand your need for a change. All one length hair really doesn't suit a lot of people to be honest. You have to have the right hair type (preferably straight) and also the right kind of face shape to pull it off. Also if your hair is naturally thick, all one length hair often leads to that triangle head look. Layers are just what you need atlantaz. I would start off only with longer layers first, perhaps say the top layers are 3 or 4 inches shorter than the bottom length of your hair. Try out longer layers first, and then if you still want the layers to be shorter you can always go back to cut them shorter.

WaitingSoLong
October 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Oh I was hoping there was an update to this! Pictures?

atlantaz3
October 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
My siggie pic is my hair that has beeb straightened to an inch of it's life! My under layers are very wavy which I'm hoping will work to my advantage with cutting in layers. I did try layers in just the last few inches and it drove me crazy I just wanted one length again. I admit to second fifth thoughts but I need a change. Too many stressors in my life right now and I want something totally frivolous to focus on for a little while. Appt is Friday I will post pic after.
Yes I realize the celeb pics are extensions hair stylist on sight ten minute not real life hair. But I would rather go to my hairdresser with an idea than give them free reign!

kwaniesiam
October 4th, 2010, 07:23 PM
I think long layers will be very flattering on you. Good luck, looking forward to pictures :)

swivelhop
October 4th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I second erikthegreat. My exp: Long layers (past collarbone) make thick hair easier in updos, and more natural/flowing when down. Layers up to ears I couldn't handle won't stay up!
Its your hair find a way you enjoy it.

Peggy E.
October 4th, 2010, 08:12 PM
The important thing is that you are happy with your hair and your decision. As you said, you put lots of thought into this, over quite a period of time, so it's not like you got up this morning, grabbed a pair of scissors and hacked away!

Layers seem to be something you either love or hate - and hoping you're on the "love" register!

Best of luck to you and I'll bet your hair is gorgeous no matter how you decide to wear it.

LaurelSpring
October 4th, 2010, 08:39 PM
The only way to really know if you will like it is to do it. I had layers for many years and at the time it was the right thing for me. Now I am growing them out and they arent working for me, so its all in your own timing and preference.

Dragon
October 5th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Your hair does look good now. But its your choice. Good luck :)

UltraBella
October 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Congrats on your appointment !! I can't wait to see the pics !!!!!!!!!!!! Is it Friday yet ?? Goodness, we have to wait several more days.
I am one of those gals who *love* my layers. Can't imagine my hair without them. I only like long, blended layers on myself though, no choppy short ones.
I was feeling like I needed a change too, I just gave myself bangs 20 minutes ago :)

Chrissy
October 5th, 2010, 04:41 AM
You have beautiful hair. I hope it turns out just how you want it. You are brave! :) Hair dressers scare me.

MsBubbles
October 5th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Yes I realize the celeb pics are extensions hair stylist on sight ten minute not real life hair. But I would rather go to my hairdresser with an idea than give them free reign!

I guess what I was wondering, or what I meant, was that these extensions come already spirally-waved. Like they were prepared before the sale and installation with a perm or something harsh to get them to be relatively maintenance-free regarding the curls. That is, I was under the impression that people didn't have to curl those like they would their own hair each day. But I have no idea. Anybody familiar with extensions who can answer that? It's not important to this thread, though.

I'm excited! Look forward to the updates, AtlantaZ3...

atlantaz3
October 9th, 2010, 06:08 AM
I did it! My stylist knows me. She took 2 inches off the bottom which feels short right now. The shortest layers are just below my chin with a lot of blended layers the rest of the way down. No bangs. The Carrie Underwood style I liked - she told me it was mostly curled extensions and not a real life style! My hubbie likes and told me it's more youthful looking - which got a raspberry.
I like it and I know I needed a "good" trim for crunchy ends so I'm not too upset over the two inches. The real test will be my next wash and style. I keep trying to brush those missing inches. I'll upload pictures soon.:cheese:

GlennaGirl
October 9th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Parking it here to wait for pics. :)

Shellby
October 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the pics! I love your before hair and I am sure I will love the after. After my last cut I was brushing my non existent length, too. LOL Amazing how 2 inches off feels like 2 feet is missing.

Dragon
October 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
So glad you are happy with it :)