PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Styles

SilverLocks
October 3rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
Show us your Halloween Hair. :pumpkin:

angelfell
October 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Ohhh, I'll have to definitely do this once I get my costume :D.

renarok
October 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking of temp. day glo orange pippi longstocking braids wired up to stand out sideways, but I'd have to be careful not to hit people...... probably bad idea

Peggy E.
October 4th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm thinking of temp. day glo orange pippi longstocking braids wired up to stand out sideways, but I'd have to be careful not to hit people...... probably bad idea

Yeah, that does sound like it might get you in trouble.... ;o)

Nuts. I'm not doing anything for halloween and definitely not a costume and hair thing. So I don't have a "come out and play" thing going for this month's style. :o(

SilverLocks
October 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Nuts. I'm not doing anything for halloween and definitely not a costume and hair thing. So I don't have a "come out and play" thing going for this month's style. :o(

Pssst, go check out the latest Hairstyle of the Month for October. Come out and play!

PrincessBob
October 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I put it together for the HP Lovecraft Film Festival, last Friday. This is Uzumaki (spiral) hair to compliment the snails and spirals in the lovecraftian Japanese horror movie… it also kind of simulates tentacles and goes will with costumes that have a nautical theme and give you a bit of that Innsmouth look, IYKWIM. :wink: :rollin: It is done on hair that has been center-parted. I start by separating out the sections from my ears forward. I twist each side, making a couple of flat cinnabuns using the hair forward of my ears (the right one wrapped clockwise, the left counter clockwise). Only half of the hair length is used in the buns (which are secured with Spin Pins—not elastics), leaving a "tail" coming off the back outside of each bun. The tails are split and rope braided (the right tails are twisted clockwise, wrapped counter clockwise—the left “tails” are twisted counterclockwise and wrapped clockwise). Then the hair is separated again (the hair that remained down) and the back 2 ½” of hair is left down. Both the sections are rope-braided (the right is separated into two “strands” twisted counter clockwise and wrapped clockwise, the left twisted clockwise and wrapped counterclockwise, so the “ropes” spin the opposite direction from the rope “tails” on the front buns of the same side. The remaining hair is made into a bun, I don't remember how I did mine, but you could easily make a flat cinnabun on the back.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5930&pictureid=84785 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5930&pictureid=84786

This is for my Hallowe’en costume as a Renaissance Princess. I always wanted to try hair taping (sewing milkmaid braids to my head with ribbons), but with my hair’s thickness, I found that my fat braids did not like to cooperate with my desires. I finally realized that if I split my hair into three sections, rather than two, I could use the side braids to tape and leave the third down the back. To make the braids more flat, I made four-stranded braids. These are not Box Braids, which are “over one, under one” or something like that—but four strand braids plaited in a similar manner to a three strand English braid ( Airmide described it as “over one, over two” when I was showing people how to do it at a meet-up). I made the braids, secured each with an elastic and wrapped the right one behind my head (clockwise) and around the front on the left side and pinned it. I wrapped the left one behind my head (counterclockwise) and pinned it. My ribbon was cut to four times the length of my braids (but I think I will need more when I do it for Hallowe’en, so I can get more “wraps” out if it) and threaded the gold ribbon onto my plastic yarn needle. Holding the center of the thread to the center of my forehead, I began stitching around the braid, through my scalp hair in the center of my forehead and pulled taut, moved down a plait (aka braid bump)or two and continued in the front-to-back, through-my-scalp-hair-around-the-braid motion. When I reached the back of my head, I unthreaded the ribbons and let it dangle. Then I threaded the same ribbon from the excess dangling down my forehead and re-did the same for the other side. I repeated the whole process using the red thread, but I went between the golden ribbon wraps, to ensure that both colors alternated all the way around. The excess at the back was then wrapped around the remaining braid (around the back, crisscross at the meeting point, around the front, crisscross at the meeting point) gold first and repeated with red, trying to crisscross the red in the spaces between the gold crisscrosses. Wrap around the tassel’s elastic and tie in a snug bow. Remove pins from front braids. Done!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5930&pictureid=84774 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5930&pictureid=84772
So much fun, but both took me forever (25+ minutes, though I'm sure it will be easier with practice) and taping is a bit of an arm killer. Try them if you get the chance, they look pretty nifty, IIDSSM.

Sundial
October 5th, 2010, 12:39 AM
PrincessBob you look great!! <3 Love your detailed how-to too! Got to wait till my hair gets long enough before I can try out stuff like that :p

PrincessBob
October 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Not for Halloween, but it was a novelty hairdo, from early September:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5930&pictureid=85221
I bunned my hair about half way, then pinned it with the remainder pointing up and spread it over the sides and back to look like a thinner bob of my normal hair. I pretty much hate how it looks on me, and much prefer my long hair, but it was worth it when my friend freaked out, thinking I had had a psychotic break involving scissors. :lol:

LittleRainbow
October 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I am thinking about being the grudge. Not really a hairstyle (leaving it down) but one of my friends said they had peanutbutter the actress hair to make it look dirty... heeh shudder:
And there's also the small problem that her hair is black

Do you have any other ideas about my halloween hair??:p

PrincessBob
October 25th, 2010, 01:44 PM
It's less than a week away! What are else are you awesome Longhairs planning?

rhosyn_du
October 25th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Oh, man. I have no idea what I'm doing with my hair. I've got a fabulous pirate costume, but I don't know what to do with my hair.

Anyone have suggestions for pirate-y styles for not-quite-TBL har?

nowxisxforever
October 25th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Oh, man. I have no idea what I'm doing with my hair. I've got a fabulous pirate costume, but I don't know what to do with my hair.

Down, with braids/rope braids here and there, or perhaps rag curls, or get your hair allll braided up so you've got kind of a Caribbean look going on?

Nat242
October 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I need some hair help! I'm going to my first Halloween party this Saturday; I'm borrowing a "Queen of Hearts" costume my sister has. What could I do with my hair? My first thought was victory rolls at the front, but I'm hopeless at them. Then I thought...crown braid! But sadly, my crown braids are very unreliable. They work about 20&#37; of the time.

Any ideas?

PrincessBob
October 27th, 2010, 05:42 PM
What about LilOrca's Heart Braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56412), with a tiny crown pinned over the right side of your fringe?

Immera
October 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I didn't really do anything to my hair for Halloween, but I did significant other's sock buns so he could dress as Princess Leia. His hair reaches his mid-back, but its also thinning, especially on top.

We got quite a bit of attention, a 6-foot bearded Leia.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6544&pictureid=87088

Quixii
November 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Here's how I wore it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/DSCN1837.jpg
The outfit was all white with a gold and white corset. DBF's mom made sure he get a picture of my hair when he was taking pictures of the costume, because she thought it was so pretty. :D

PrincessBob
November 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM
We got quite a bit of attention, a 6-foot bearded Leia.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6544&pictureid=87088
If I could get my six foot bearded significant other in that outfit I would take a picture, too. Are those tabi socks or white toe socks?

Maddy25
November 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/mzcostume1.jpg

Padme :)

Eirelin
October 1st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Resurrecting for Halloween of 2011.

As I mentioned a month or so ago, I am going to be wearing a gold Star Trek minidress (original series) and have been scouring the Internet for ideas on my hair. I have mostly decided upon trying a big updo with lots of curls, a bit like these:

(smaller curls)
http://www.hji.co.uk/image/1969-updo-blonde-qhs3518.html

http://www.hji.co.uk/image/1969-updo-curls-qhs143.html

http://www.hji.co.uk/image/1968-updo-curls-qhs974.html

(without the little tendrils at the bottom)
http://www.hji.co.uk/image/1968-volume-wig-qhs1386.html

Although I would really like something like this:

http://www.hji.co.uk/image/1966-plaits-updo-qhs3708.html

The biggest problem is, of course, the fact that I just don't have that much hair, length or volume. I have looked into extensions but didn't have any clue how to use them or where to find the right ones or the right color... or the money to pay for them!

So, then I started looking at hairpieces, which were more reasonably priced and easier to use, but still too expensive and not the right look, especially if I wanted to try the braided ponytail. I did see a ponytail that included a cone base with a skinny triple braid around it, but that wasn't right, either.

So, I got tired of looking and bought myself a 28" ponytail with a claw clip and drawstring. I am hoping to try wrapping curls all over the back of my head or, if possible, try braiding part of it all around the base, like the last photo.

If nothing else, I could just do the ponytail if it ended up being a bad hair day.

Okay, now for the rest of you! Halloween styles?

Elistariel
October 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
I have no idea. Halloween is on a Monday this year and I have to work. So something secure as I do have to run up and down stairs some. I don't have anywhere to go, so no costumes have been purchased. I have a renaissance-type costume from years back. Two of my friends and I are going to the zoo the Saturday (or Sunday) before. - Depending on the weather. So if we do anything to celebrate Halloween then it'll probably have to be a style I can wear a hood or toboggan with.

redkdawg
October 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM

I watched part of the Crimson Pirate (with Burt Lancaster) last night. One of the pirates had a braid that looped at the bottom. Hanging off that loop was a gold ring. I could not figure out how the hair person hid the end.

Any way - multiple braids with gold rings/jewelry? (it would be fun to see)

bluequeequeg
October 3rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
Halloween is my favorite! This year I have an insect costume -- its hood is an integral part, so my hair won't really be showing. I thought about doing a fauxhawk underneath and spraying it green, but it seems like it's gonna be too much work for something that won't show.

My other option (in case this costume turns out not to be train viable (it's got extra arms)) is going as Amy Pond from Dr. Who, in which case my hair is just down and clipped to the side a little.

bluequeequeg
October 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
[quote=redkdawg;1806804]I watched part of the Crimson Pirate (with Burt Lancaster) last night. One of the pirates had a braid that looped at the bottom. Hanging off that loop was a gold ring. I could not figure out how the hair person hid the end.

Maybe just tucked the ends back into the weave of the braid? That's probably what I'd do. It'd be pretty easy if you left the tail a little long, because when you wove it back into the braid, the ends wouldn't be by the end anymore, so even if some were still poking out, they wouldn't be where you'd expect.

jacqueline101
October 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm wearing my old everyday hair.

tigereye
October 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Seeing as I'm now apparently going to a patry with my friends, I'm going to have to thing of something, and quick. Now, we're the kind of people who get up to nonsense all the time (ie. human pyramids, ladder races, the boat race etc) and most of the girls always have their hair bunned, or pinned back in some way, shape, or form, because hair down usually ends up covered in something (usually some other guy's beer, but hey, I heard beer is good for hair ;) ) I'm going to do a crown braid, I think, with some white clip-in extentions braided in, and the clips hidden under the braid (nice contrast from my dark, redd-ish brown hair). Maybe get some costume spider webs and spiders and sew them onto the braid...

I am planning on being some sort of spider-fairy. If I have time, I'm going to make wings that look kind of spider-webby, and see through, with little spiders on them, and wear an old LBD that I accidentally tore up the hem of once when I caught it at something before. Paint spider webs on my nails, and hopefully think up some decent make-up to do. White out my already pale skin maybe, and have something major and dark going on around my eyes. Maybe a dark lipstick too. Ooh, can't wait.

ETA, Oh and I will be getting out the coloured contact lenses again. Mine actually look quite real, but I switch them up to make my otherwise interdetminate-coloured eyes look totally different colours (One violet lens, and one dark blue, makes my eyes look hazel and bright blue, respectively). My sister had to do a double take last time I wore them, because her son actually does have different coloured eyes, and the same colours as mine look with contacts. She didn't know where that gene came from, so genuinely thought I had different coloured eyes until I told her they were contacts.
Seeing as one of my eyes are going to look bright blue, I may as well put some blue in my hair, and on my face too.

AnqeIicDemise
October 10th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I decided to dress up as Empress Sabina. All I need to find right now is something to use as a coronet.

Neddy
October 10th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I have a lot of halloween events that require costumes, and for one I'm going as Medusa, so I'll just wear my hair down and curly (like most days), maybe with a half up pinned thing going on in the back, and pinning a bunch of rubber snakes in my hair. Simple but effective!

WaitingSoLong
October 11th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I have a function THIS FRIDAY, we are suppose to scare kids on a hay ride. I have no clue what I am going to wear/do yet.

Also, my cousin is actually having a halloween party. I dressed "goth" last year, me and my daughter were "twins". Gee, I should really post the picture. Hmm...gotta figure out how to upload from my album. I don't like photobucket much. I would love to do something with my hair but I haven't a clue WHAT to do.

I like ths spiders idea, just being a spider lady...but I am not sure blonde can pull it off. I could be a "good witch".

Animae
October 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking of flat ironing my hair for halloween. I'm probably going as a vampire.

PrincessBob
October 12th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I'm going as Elphaba, wicked witch of the west, complete with flying monkey, which means probably a single fat braid, or if I'm feeling brave, down.

racrane
October 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I'm not doing Halloween because I'll be in a show. But I can post my picture of me playing Cinderella. It's a fun costume and hairdo and kinda Halloween-ish.

Eirelin
October 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Well, Halloween has turned into a fairly major thing for me, albeit on a really small budget (boy, I really do wish I could sew; that would really help). So, I have been trying for a while now to come up with a good 60's hairstyle to go with the classic Star Trek dress I got (yeah, the cheap one, not the good one). I posted in the "Mane" forum a request for some advice and opinions, which was very helpful, particularly as I wanted to avoid heat, backcombing, etc.

So, I did get the 28" fake ponytail in Light Ginger, but ginger?! HAH! It is basically blonde with a few strawberry strands, and I am a redhead! It is not even close enough to get away with it in the dark. So, dilemma time. I refused to just give up and not even use it, so, after scouring the Internet for several days, I bought some Roux Bashful Blonde Temporary Rinse. I have found some good reviews (and a couple of not-so-good ones) and, since it will only be on the bangs and the whole root area, as the length is in a bun under the fake ponytail, it should hopefully do the trick.

This is where I need some feedback and advice. I really was interested in a style like this:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_star-trek-babes-celeste-yarnell-as-lt-landon-in-the-apple.jpg

But I found out that the ponytail has to be MUCH, MUCH longer. This is what I came up with (remember that I have not tried the blonde rinse yet):
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_DSCN6999.jpg http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_DSCN6998.jpg http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_DSCN6997.jpg

I wish I had a female friend near. I had 2 move away within the past 9 months, and it gets very frustrating.

Also, it needs to be a little higher up on the head. and I still haven't decided upon side-swept bangs or just combed back with the rest of the hair.

Anywhere
October 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure about halloween yet, but I'm going to a party next weekend that's Harry Potter themed. I'm going as Bellatrix, and I'm trying to figure out how to get those intense curls and volume. Trying out different techniques this weekend, I'll most likely post pics in my blog or something.

Arrow
October 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I'm not doing Halloween because I'll be in a show. But I can post my picture of me playing Cinderella. It's a fun costume and hairdo and kinda Halloween-ish.

I'm going to be in a show too, "Calamity Jane". I'm in the chorus, but I have no idea what to do with my hair. Probably a straight ponytail down the back and then a bun for the ball scene.

Kayla Nyx
October 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
is woven Bun :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8314&pictureid=116192

Liave Ekeli
October 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
This year will be my first time actually dressing up and doing something for Halloween (it's not that common a celebration up here, though it has gained some momentum in recent years). I still have no idea what we're actually going to end up doing - probably either check out a party or just have a stroll about the city...any excuse to dress up is good enough for me.

I'm going as an Assassin's Creed inspired courtesan/carnevale goer - so far I've got the long skirt, the corset, and I'm planning to fix myself a mask and get a hold of some fabric to drape the skirt and corset with, to make it look a bit more renaissance-y.

As for the hair, I still haven't decided. I figure I'm going to try for a bit more opulence than my everyday buns, so attempt to get a bit more volume in there and do some smaller accent braids. Maybe some flowers, ribbons or other as well... Plus I've got lots of pretty hairtoys, so the decoration part won't be a problem ;)

Xi
October 17th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Eirelin -- I think that looks great! I imagine the ensemble of hairdo + costume will achieve the look you're going for. The hairpiece actually blends in pretty well already, to my eye.

Cool costume! :thumbsup:

Anywhere
October 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Not really halloween hair, but halloween party hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=116940

ETA: Whoops! Didn't realize I had it in a private album. Heh.

Eirelin
October 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Eirelin -- I think that looks great! I imagine the ensemble of hairdo + costume will achieve the look you're going for. The hairpiece actually blends in pretty well already, to my eye.

Cool costume! :thumbsup:

Thank you (sorry it took so long to respond; this is my busiest time of the year so I haven't been able to hang around much).

We did a Halloween thing at a bar and I got to wear the costume (and at some point in the evening, I lost the heel of my shoe?!?). I did put my hair up in a tight bun, removed the claw from the fake ponytail, split it into 3 sections with 2 parts in English braids. One braid was wrapped around the base of it (since the ponytail creates a bun) and pinned down. The second braid was wrapped in the opposite direction, over the ponytail in the back, and then pinned underneath both the ponytail and itself. This made a sort of a cool braid-wrapped bun with the long ponytail coming out underneath. I didn't get any pictures, but I will get some posted. I did some research on the late 60's makeup and checked out a lot of the girls on the old Star Trek, so I had 3 tons of eye makeup on plus false eyelashes (first time I ever tried them!). It was a hit! I even got 3 votes for the costume contest, which was amazing! Of course, a girl in a skimpy outfit won, as usual, but it was so cool to actually get votes for the first time in my life.

Photos to come! We will be dressing up again this weekend and I will egt them then.

cmg
October 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
This year will be my first time actually dressing up and doing something for Halloween (it's not that common a celebration up here, though it has gained some momentum in recent years). I still have no idea what we're actually going to end up doing - probably either check out a party or just have a stroll about the city...any excuse to dress up is good enough for me.
Same here! I have been asked to redecorate a cinema and its cafeteria for halloween. I don't really have a clue what halloween stands for but its very exciting anyway. A collegue will go as Morticia Addams and there will be Halloweenish styled foodstuffs. The kiosk will sell only black candys and of course skull-shaped things and such. I dont know yet how I will style myself. I really have to embrace myself not to henndigo my hair black or anything stupid like that. :rolleyes: Ive been googling goth style for ideas. :pumpkin:

missdelarocha
October 24th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Eirelin, thought that was your hair until I read it wasn't! I think it'll be even better after the rinse! Imagine how long her hair/hair piece was lol.

Good luck! Please post photos so we can see how it went :].

GeoJ
October 26th, 2011, 07:26 AM
On Saturday I did my hair in Princess Leia buns, I didn't take photos, though. Since I lost so much of thickness in the last couple of years I can't do them properly as cinnabuns anymore, I had to do rolled sock buns instead. :(

I'm not sure yet what I will actually do for Halloween. ETA (The Leia buns were for a costume party I went to on Saturday).

ElusiveMuse
October 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I am hoping to talk my husband into going to a Ren Faire this weekend so I'll be wearing my hair down. I may get it braided like I did for my last Ren Faire, but only if they have people there to do it because I cannot braid my own hair.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2woamhk.jpg

MandyBeth
October 27th, 2011, 09:11 AM
One costume event, going as Harley Quinn, so hair covered.

Another, going as Living Dead Girl and that's a wig

So my hair is going to be spoiled rotten and oiled for several days :)

Sagi1982
October 27th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I have some styles in my album. :cool:

Kyaatje
October 29th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Am sitting at work now in Halloween witchy outfit.
Hair down but I've braided some wooden buttons and some feathery thingies in my hair.
Now I'm a woodland witch LOL

Eirelin
October 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Ah, finally!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382242_303700729642318_100000071796284_1393847_107 6675249_n.jpg

In addition to the blondish rinse, I also used some of that blonde highlight spray, which is actually pretty awful, but after spraying it on, I brushed it lightly with a soft brush, and it really did help blend things in.

Sorry it isn't a better picture. I'm going to try to pin my roommate down long enough to get just the hair.

Ugh. Look at that double chin.

PrincessBob
October 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Ah, finally!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382242_303700729642318_100000071796284_1393847_107 6675249_n.jpg

:wolf whistle: :eyebrows:
The geek in me just had a victory dance. That is awesome! Your hair looks amazing, too.

teela1978
October 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I have a lot of halloween events that require costumes, and for one I'm going as Medusa, so I'll just wear my hair down and curly (like most days), maybe with a half up pinned thing going on in the back, and pinning a bunch of rubber snakes in my hair. Simple but effective!

I'm contemplating medusa this year for a possible event on Monday. I was thinking of doubled over braids with some eyes and forked tounges at the ends! Haven't quite figured it all out yet....

eresh
October 30th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Here's how I wore it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/young_artist/DSCN1837.jpg
The outfit was all white with a gold and white corset. DBF's mom made sure he get a picture of my hair when he was taking pictures of the costume, because she thought it was so pretty. :D

Your hair IS pretty, pretty stunning!!

We don'treally celebrate Halloween here, so I love seeing all your halloween outfits :-D

Dogmatix
November 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM
Not exactly "halloween hair" but here's what I wore for work on halloween. Usually I dress up but couldn't get organized this year. The sun was rising so there's a little extra color in my hair. :pumpkin:

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/4962/img3141n.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/img3141n.jpg/)
(click to embiggen)

SteelRose
November 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I am hoping to talk my husband into going to a Ren Faire this weekend so I'll be wearing my hair down. I may get it braided like I did for my last Ren Faire, but only if they have people there to do it because I cannot braid my own hair.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2woamhk.jpg
I always get the braiders to do my hair at Renn fairs! I can't do the super complicated updo on myself, but I LOVE having them done! That is fantastic btw.

Eirelin
November 9th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I went to one this weekend, hoping to hang out and watch the braiding, but Ellen (from Pandora's locks) wasn't there! I spoke to several people who knew her and had also expected her.

I had done a quick half-up, twin lace Dutch pinned back into a coil, and got several compliments on it, then took it down for about an hour, and then put it back up into a full twin lace Dutch, with the center portion just going into a plain English, and then pinned the whole thing back up into a coil (basically a rose bun) at the nape. Unfortunately, I had lost my elastics and all but 2 bobby pins, so I asked one of the musicians packing up (the only female around) if it looked okay. She tucked a little here and there and said it really looked nice, and we got to talking about hair, braiding, music, playing music for weddings, etc., and I gave her one of my business cards. Then we talked about Ellen (Pandora's Locks), and I explained that I had wanted to be there to meet her. So, it turns out that this musician also knows Ellen and got another card from me to give to her. She also laughed and said that she could testify that I could make a pretty braid in a very short period of time with only 2 bobby pins!

So, I will keep my fingers crossed!

SteelRose
November 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Good luck Eirelin! I hope it works out well for you!

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I had done a quick half-up, twin lace Dutch pinned back into a coil, and got several compliments on it, then took it down for about an hour, and then put it back up into a full twin lace Dutch, with the center portion just going into a plain English, and then pinned the whole thing back up into a coil (basically a rose bun) at the nape....
:disgust::shocked:
I guess I have a lot to learn about hairdos. I havent the faintiest what youre saying! :D Im sure it looked good whatever it was. You have really beautiful hair judging from your avatar. *Off to learn more on LHC*

Eirelin
November 9th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Oops! I guess I didn't think of that.

Here is a post I did before here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1796384#post1796384) with some pictures:

Twin Dutch going into a braided bun or something like that works really well with my layers. If you work your way down the sides, not far above your ears, the top/middle can go straight down, so you don't have the center part, which I hate.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_09-12-2011_FrenchLace_Classic_1-1.jpg

Here is the lower kind, closer to the ears. Sorry, it's fuzzy and I slept in it, so all the little bits are popping out. Ordinarily, they are all tucked in, often using a latch hook, which works WONDERFULLY, especially on the crown braids.

These pictures also show how it looks without the center part down the back, and my bangs also have a side part.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_09-26-2011_Side_Twin_Dutch_into_braided_wrap_bun_B.jpg http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_09-26-2011_Side_Twin_Dutch_into_braided_wrap_bun_A.jpg

Oh! And here is a much nicer one. A shorter tail can be tucked in, too.
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/th_09-15-2011_Twin_Dutch_to_English_4A.jpg

At first it was kind of like the first picture, but only as a half-up. Then when I put it back up again, it was more like pictures 1-3, although probably kind of messy because I did it without a mirror, my big comb, or proper pins and in a hurry, too.

As a half-up, only the front and sides went into the braids (I am assuming you do know how to lace braid or at least Dutch or French braid). When I put it all up, the sides continued all the way down, and then I gathered the hair down the center and just did a plain 3-strand braid. Tie off each braid (except, as I said, I had lost my elastics, so they were not tied off). Take the plain center braid and coil it up into a tiny flat bun; pin it up. Take one of side braids, coil it in the opposite direction around the first braid; pin it up. Take the last braid, coil it around the bun, and pin it up.

Did that help at all?

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Thank you so much! :beerchug: And the braids are beautiful! They give me something to look forward to when my hair has grown long enough again.

Kattillac
February 5th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Here's the thick sectioned yarn Braids I had done for Halloween 2011
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303280_10150456523008825_690043824_10286163_154711 9835_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/386930_10150456523118825_690043824_10286165_121154 6276_n.jpg

Here they are cut && finished with costume
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/316777_10150456536248825_690043824_10286247_190322 5600_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297966_10150456537868825_690043824_10286284_131657 2443_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/375933_10150456538873825_690043824_10286305_722692 545_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303187_10150456539223825_690043824_10286312_895024 627_n.jpg

Kattillac
February 5th, 2012, 01:16 PM
&& Heres some more detailed pics and pics at other angles and places.(Celebrating Halloween in New Hampshire)
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/386183_10150456537983825_690043824_10286287_623580 687_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392073_10150456538253825_690043824_10286291_107671 9446_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388001_10150456538383825_690043824_10286294_125469 7246_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/307822_10150456538503825_690043824_10286296_160116 7294_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309804_10150456539083825_690043824_10286309_179386 6755_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/406420_10150672798908825_690043824_11091980_210641 3330_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/389193_10150459095193825_690043824_10309890_180861 3789_n.jpg
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308211_10150459099508825_690043824_10310008_142421 3850_n.jpg

As you can see I'm pretty obsessed with Halloween :D My fav holiday!

bo-peep
May 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Awesome hair - a ton of work but SO worth it! You look like you belong in a Rob Zombie video (yeah-yeah!!).

Eirelin
July 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have a question. I am looking to be Wilma Flintstone this year and the bun is, of course, no problem, but can anyone tell me how to get that front curl without teasing?? I have been looking for tutorials all over the place, but every one I see involves teasing it, and I certainly don't want to do that.

spirals
July 15th, 2012, 05:37 PM
I would just do a cinnabun in front, but not coiled tightly at all, and use bobby pins as needed. Let me see if I can do it and post a pic. Be back.

spirals
July 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM
OK, I tried really hard, but my layers are too short. You could probably do it, though. Start a victory roll with a big bang area section. Roll toward the forehead, then smoosh it down and pin it in different places to get the right shape. That's all I have.