PDA

View Full Version : Is it too weird?

motormuffin
October 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Is it too weird to see someone with grey hair with pigtails?

spidermom
October 3rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
To me, it would depend on how the pigtails are placed. Straight down behind the ears (Willy Nelson's former style) = fine. Coming off the side of the head = not fine.

Arianwen
October 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
No. Besides, weird is cool. Being "normal" is the epitome of boring.

MinderMutsig
October 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
To me, it would depend on how the pigtails are placed. Straight down behind the ears (Willy Nelson's former style) = fine. Coming off the side of the head = not fine. Unless you go around skipping like a schoolgirl. In that case pigtails coming off the side would be awesome. :eyebrows:

Dragon
October 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
I dont think its weird.

TiaKitty
October 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Weird is personal...

If I saw a set of grey pigtails, I'd think, Hmmm, that person may be interesting... and I like interesting... No, CRAVE interesting.

Besides, my Great Mammy wore grey pigtails. That's what I hope to emulate when I'm aged.

weatherwax
October 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Go for it. Weird? Yes, in a potentially fabulous punk sort of way. Or country, or . . . I'd say a lot depends on the clothes and energy of the person in question. To me, if your vibe says "rebel" at all, you can probably pull it off.

Igor
October 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Why would it? Is it another one of those once you go grey you need to cut it into a short poodle perm and spend all your time baking cookies and sitting in your rocking chair-things?

girlcat36
October 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
If I saw that, I would think--"she's awesome!"

Nat242
October 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Nope. I can't think of any hairstyle that would qualify as "too weird".

bellawave
October 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
No........

enfys
October 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
I think it would take a bit of attitude to do but I wouldn't think it was weird. I would think it was cool!

Angeletti
October 3rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
I don't think it would be weird at all, you should go for it : )

Elenna
October 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
It is hard enough to have long, gray hair in ordinary society.

Pigtails would cause difficulties in ordinary social interactions because they are too childish.

For some reason, braids seem different. I like two braids even if gray or white. Willie Nelson had braids which were uber cool? Maybe, it's because I like Naive Americans too.

Kind of going off track here!

smileycat
October 3rd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Counter-culture. I like it!

FrannyG
October 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Not at all.

swivelhop
October 3rd, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'd do it, anywhere I wasn't getting a paycheck from.:D

christine1989
October 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah, it is weird but weird is the in thing :).

Kathie
October 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
I think it would be cool! I like it when people defy societies expectations. We're hitting three of them with this style.

1. Sparkly gray hair. Rather than conforming to the oh, you have gray hair- you must dye it.
2. It must be long-ish to go in pig-tails. Long gray hair is, unfortunately, rare.
3. And finally, the pig-tails. I think that screams 'I'm going to do what I want and I don't care what you think' i.e., self confidence, which is cool.

Speedbump
October 3rd, 2010, 09:24 PM
Even if it's weird -- and I think that's really debatable -- it's not BAD weird. :D

Luckysock
October 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
No, it think it would be sweet. Though I agree with Spidermom that it is better to go with low-placed ponytails. I think high ponytails could look like a cry for attention... does that make sense?

pepperminttea
October 4th, 2010, 12:10 AM
No. But then, I have once tickled someone with the tassels of my twin braids, so I might be on the wrong side of weird already. :p

clkingtx
October 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I think it would be neat! It would get some looks out in public, but what doesn't?

30isthenewblack
October 4th, 2010, 12:39 AM
If I saw that, I would think--"she's awesome!"

Same! I'd probably check out the thickness of your braid. OT: GC, your hair looks great!

MonaMayfair
October 4th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I think it would look adorable!

TheStorm
October 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM
No, it's not too weird. If you want to wear pigtails you wear them and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

sophiamarie
October 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I don't think it would be weird. I love when I see someone embrace their gray and wear their hair as they wish!

Deborah
October 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Re: Is it too weird?

Of course not.

Anje
October 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Good weird.

Sanyia
October 4th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I think it's awesome

VenusHalley
October 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM
One would need the attitude and poise to pull it off, though. That is often the difference between good weird and bad weird.

boomtownrat
October 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM
I think weird is good -- well, except for the "puts off dangerous vibes" kind of weird. Anyway, if I saw someone with silver/grey/white pigtails, I'd be jealous because my hair won't be long enough to do that for quite a while yet and it is one of the things I plan to do with my hair eventually. If I were feeling outgoing (which is not all that often), I would compliment someone on such a hairstyle.

There used to be stickers and t-shirts that said, "Why be normal?" I took it to heart. If silver pigtails are what you want to do with your hair, I say do it!

Sagi1982
October 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM
A few weeks ago I saw a silverhaired lady with braided pigtails to the hips, fixed with red elastics (she wore also a red sweater).
It looked fantastic!!
(And boomtownrat is right! Its always good to be a little bit weird! ;-))

MaiCarInMtl
October 5th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I think the "lower" pigtails are safer but who says you can't do ones higher up? It might be a little harder to pull off but carefully chosen hair toys might help pull it off even more!

It's your hair, do what you want!

Qwackie
October 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM
To me, it would depend on how the pigtails are placed. Straight down behind the ears (Willy Nelson's former style) = fine. Coming off the side of the head = not fine.

Yeah, I agree.

BrightEyes7
October 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
OMG... I totally saw a silver haired at McDonald's yesterday with pigtails. I like them low or low and braided. Or twin french braids.

This lady had just low pigtails and her hair was 1a and probably about BSL. It looked so cute!

ETA: So yeah I would totally rock the pigtails if I were you!

jera
October 5th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I've never seen a grey haired woman wear pigtails where I live, but I do see a very cute little old lady who goes to the same grocery store I do. She wears her long white hair in double braids, and wears jeans and carries an eco bag. :D I think she's adorable. Such an individual. It makes me smile every time I see her. I envy that kind of confidence and freedom. :)

Naphthylamine
October 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
My grandmother also wore low pigtails. Her hair was thin but she had always kept it around BSL until she died.

marzipanthecat
October 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I don't think I'd find it odd at all.

But I don't think I'm a good guide to what is normal.

I'm trying very hard to apply my grandfather's philosophy to as much of my life as possible: "Is what that person is doing/looking like hurting anyone or anything? No? Then let them get on with themselves."

But back to the original question: No, I do not think grey pigtails are weird.

RachelRain
October 5th, 2010, 04:57 PM
No, I don't think it's weird, I think it's awesome. And honestly, whether it was or not I don't see how it matters - if it's your hair (or whoever's got the grey hair and doing pigtails), you should be able to do what you want with it and the hell with everyone else's outlook on it.

:shrug: Normal - and on the flip, weirdness - is completely relative. Embrace the weird. Just my opinion.

akuamoonmaui
October 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I have a hard time with the look. I think because in college there was a nurse at the on-campus clinic and she had short, gray pigtails. It was just creepy.

pennylane
October 5th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Is it too weird to see someone with grey hair with pigtails?

Pigtails with any color hair, if you are older than 12 years old , i do not like to see.

let's rephrase

If i'm alone in my house, cleaning and washing etc , and not a soul is out there to see me, ok.... i'd might have pigtails ... but why pigtails if a ponytail is more comfortable? .... anyway

My two cents. :)

Jadewtch
October 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
It all depends on how it's styled. Some Cindy Brady (brady bunch tv) style thing would definitely be weird to me.

CaliforniaAnne
October 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Not weird at all. One of my favorite old ladies has worn her hair in pigtails her whole life and still does. I think she's always beautiful! :)

adiapalic
October 5th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I think it would be awesome. When I have gray hair... I'm gonna shamelessly rock some pigtails. :rockerdud

CurlyGirlCa
October 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM
There used to be stickers and t-shirts that said, "Why be normal?" I took it to heart. If silver pigtails are what you want to do with your hair, I say do it!

I used to have a fridge magnet that said 'why be normal'. I wonder what happened to it?

bte
October 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Cool, not weird, and certainly not boring!

invisiblebabe
October 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Is it stylish or fashionable? No. :P Stacy and Clinton from What Not To Wear would probably call the fashion police. Haha.

However, if you are a bit eccentric, you could probably pull it off anyway ;) At a former job I had, I regularly saw a patient who often wore her ~APL hair in grey pigtails, and she was an awesome lady!

Colorblond
October 6th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Absolutely not. Hair is not gender or age specific.

MsEvans
October 6th, 2010, 02:14 AM
Weird, no. Who's to say what is weird and normal? I must add that I am not a big fan of pigtails on anyone grown, but to each his own.

Kat
October 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Why would it? Is it another one of those once you go grey you need to cut it into a short poodle perm and spend all your time baking cookies and sitting in your rocking chair-things?
Like Elenna said...two braids is considered a little kid style (my mom even says one braid is child-ish). You know, Laura Ingalls in the Little House on the Prairie show and all that. I worry about it too, and I'm only 27. (It doesn't help that I look about 16, and I'd rather look like a grown-up, so then I REALLY worry. But, most people tell me they like the way I look with two braids rather than one, and my hair doesn't "fuzz" out as much and look crappy in two as it does when I wear it in one)

princessp
October 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
No, I would also think you're awesome for wearing them!

girlcat36
October 6th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Like Elenna said...two braids is considered a little kid style (my mom even says one braid is child-ish). You know, Laura Ingalls in the Little House on the Prairie show and all that. I worry about it too, and I'm only 27. (It doesn't help that I look about 16, and I'd rather look like a grown-up, so then I REALLY worry. But, most people tell me they like the way I look with two braids rather than one, and my hair doesn't "fuzz" out as much and look crappy in two as it does when I wear it in one)

I frequently wear two braids, and very rarely wear one! A single braid is pretty is cr@ppy on me too. Everytime I wear a single, it reminds of WHY I don't usually wear one!

Kat
October 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
The thing I don't like about a single, besides the messy look (the sides of my hair pull out and I look extremely unkempt) is that you can't tell, from the front, that I have long hair. It looks like it's really short, which is not really an attractive look on me. (Really, every time I have my hair down and look at myself in the mirror--which is rarely--I am amazed by how different I look. Even with the two braids you can at least tell I have hair longer than, say, Mary Martin in Peter Pan. I think I just don't look feminine enough to pull off short hair)

FrizzFighter
October 7th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I think it looks great. It shows individuality/personal style. One of my grandmas (the cool one) frequently wore two side braids and her hair was long and gray. Sometimes she would even coil her braids like Princess Leia. She looked awesome. If someone is going to begrudge someone else based on hairstyle, they are judgemental and it's not worth caring what they think. IMHO :)

Sooze
October 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Not weird - I think someone already posted about native Americans wearing their hair like this, and if anyone can remember Mae Zetterling (sp?) in Roald Dahls "Witches" she looked very attractive (and dignified) with grey braids.

linda g
October 8th, 2010, 04:29 AM
I promised a girl in my Zumba class I'd wear pigtails like her next week, so I'll let you know! ;)

Calaelen
October 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I'm another who would just think, this person is awesome, and confident, someone I'd like to get to know. I think conforming to stupid social rules that came from who knows where eliminates a lot of self expression. :)

picklepie
October 8th, 2010, 09:50 AM
It sounds playful, and there's a fine line between playful and undignified-- a line I enjoy walking on a regular basis, myself....

LocustSpawning
October 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I agree with this, completely.

BrightEyes7
October 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I used to have a fridge magnet that said 'why be normal'. I wonder what happened to it?

Boomtownrat stole it and made it into a shirt! :D

Brianna
October 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
A lot of things may be weird, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do them. :)

tigr
October 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
IF you have exactly the right attitude, then you can carry it off. But most of us with long gray hair have to work extra hard at not looking like a crazy cat lady. And I would hate it if someone saw my "childish" hair and thought that I was in my "second childhood."

papillion
October 9th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Everything is seen as weird by somebody. But equally, those same things will certainly be seen as normal by someone else.

As long as you're happy, who cares what anyone else thinks?

DreadfulWoman
October 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
It would definitely catch my attention, but more for the awesomeness of it than for the weirdness ^_^