PDA

View Full Version : any tips for getting good pictures of my hair?

TealDolphin
October 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
I usually just put the camera on the 10 second timer, turn around in front of it (back of head facing camera) and let it snap.

Also, do you think flash or no flash is better?

cupcakes
October 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hey sounds like your system would work ok but for everyone else then...
1. In absence of an Assistant, use a tripod. This allows you to frame the shot while looking through the lens before you stand in front of it. Consider using a door, tree or some solid object to frame first as it is easier to position oneself as a subject with a reference object.
2. Use the timer. This gives you time to move around and the camera time to focus and select exposure.
3. Have adequate light. Indoors this usually means using flash. Flash is calibrated to be the same color as sunlight (I.e. White). Shine in the hair such as with freshly oiled or serumed hair will show poorly in flash photos. The best light for natural color reproduction (and is very flattering to skin) is window light. Window light is the brightness near a window but not in a beam of sunlight. Most of the time window light is not bright enough for sharp photos with average cameras. Get really close to a big window. Finally direct sunlight is the easiest way to get a sharp, well exposed photo with accurate color reproduction. Sunlight is usually unflattering to squinty, shadow casting faces so I would reccommend sunlight for documentary and not glamour photos. Sunlight is of course not available on demand however! For glamour photos consider twilight or dawn, open shade, or window light. Remember pros always use tripods and with a digital camera you can practice endlessly til you get it right with no cost :)

Beatrix_Kiddo
October 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Remember to adjust white balance (if your camera has it). You avoid under or over exposed pictures in that way and colours are close to reality

mariika
October 4th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I usually just put the camera on the 10 second timer, turn around in front of it (back of head facing camera) and let it snap.

Also, do you think flash or no flash is better?

Exactly my routine. I do with flash, with hair pictures flash works better for me. (And hair looks shinier :D) I don't do tricks here (actually photography is one of my hobbies so I would know how to make hair look better in a picture BUT -->) - I want my hair look in pictures like it actually looks I reality (or at least very close to that).

Merewen
October 4th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I use a hand mirror to see what is in the camera's screen. Not professional, but hey, I get my whole head in the picture that way.

pepperminttea
October 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Almost exactly what I do, except I have my camera on a gorillapod (a small, flexible tripod) so I know more or less where the frame is. I leave the flash on, but all of mine are taken inside; if you're blessed with a sunny day and take photos outside, the sunlight will do the flash's job. :)

angelfell
October 4th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I have someone else take the picture :p. If you use flash make sure the background lighting is appropriate, or else your hair will end up like mine in the sig pic.. the top of your head looks a different color :p.

podo
October 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I make my DH take pics - the first few times he was like "you want me to take pictures of your hair?!" and now he says "ok *click* how's this". :D

I'm about to set up a tripod and see how I can do them myself, since I want more pics when he might be gone.

mariika
October 4th, 2010, 08:50 AM
if you're blessed with a sunny day and take photos outside, the sunlight will do the flash's job. :)
Hair looks quite differently that way. I wouldn't recommend that.