PDA

View Full Version : Homecoming, the hair sin.

angelfell
October 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
So last night was homecoming, and the only thing I spent money on was my hair. I had an old dress, jewelery etc. I can do some simple styles like straightening and curling, but I wanted an up-do, which I'm not very spectacular at. Soo, I went to a salon.. last minute, no appointment. And I showed the lady a picture of a nice little up-do that looked as simple as pinning curls to the back of my head. Yeah no. She made it WAY different. She TEASED the heck out of my hair to make it all big and then stuck 37 (I counted them when I took them out) bobby/hair pins in to plaster curls to the back. I hated it, but not so much because of the style, but because my hair felt like it was screaming for help! It was too late to wash it out and all, so I wore it.

When I got home, I took it all out and washed immediately, first with conditioner to ease out the tangles, then with shampoo all over because she caked it with so much hairspray, and then my 3-minute repair in-shower conditioner. I checked the drain, I didn't lose really much more than I normally do.. and when I got out, it still felt soft and all. So I think I got lucky. But I guess the point is I never would have ever cared about all that teasing, hairspray, and pins and curls before I joined LHC :). You people keep my knowledgeable XD.

I'm really going to try to find coconut oil today. I still feel like I owe my hair.

EDIT: I got the pics up so you can see the teasing :p right now my hair is soaking in coconut oil, which I made myself sick eating earlier :x but it's sooo good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/xwolfxboundx/harhar.png

ericthegreat
October 3rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
I'm sure just one night of aggressive styling didn't cause any real damage to your hair. I'm a hairstylist myself, and the everyday heatstyling and hairspraying that I see many clients and other hairstylists do to their hair still doesn't completely wreck their hair surprisingly enough. Believe it or not, hair is a lot stronger than we give it credit for. A healthy strand of hair is actually as strong as a strand of iron of the same thickness. I myself have clients who on a regular basis request for me to do blow out, flat-iron, curl, tease and spray their hair and their hair is still in relatively good condition. Your hair will be absolutely fine angelfell. :smile:

mellie89
October 3rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it too much. When I used to get my hair done for proms and homecomings, they would tease and hairspray and curl and pin the life out of my hair, but it always recovered. I hope you enjoyed your homecoming! :)

Chestershire
October 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
I guess it's not so horribly damaging. If you only do this for big events, there's not really a problem, I guess :) There are people who do those things like, everyday. Besides, your hair wants to be pretty sometimes too! If you treat it like it's porcelain, then what's the fun of having long hair?

Centaur
October 3rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
When I was in high school for some school dance I had my hair done into an up do at a hair salon. I hated the results (looked bad and nothing like what I showed her I wanted) and washed it out just like you did. I think that the hair stylist just wasn't that experienced with up dos. Maybe that is also the case with the stylist you visited.

Carolyn
October 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Doing something like that once in a while for a special occasion is no big deal IMO. You wanted a fun hairdo for one night and you took great care to wash it out. Your hair should be fine. It's not like you have your hair done like that every week. Don't sweat it.

spidermom
October 3rd, 2010, 01:43 PM
My hair is pretty fragile. I asked for a simple french twist for my son's wedding, and after all the teasing and tucking and spraying and curling was done, my hair felt trashed, especially the ends. I got a lot cut off the following month.

Dragon
October 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
I'm glad your hair is ok. My hair is also fragile so I have to always be carefull with it.

FrannyG
October 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
I had an experience like that several years ago, before LHC. I was a bridesmaid at my SIL's wedding and I had a rock-hard updo with curls that held over night (which is no easy feat with my fine, pin-straight hair). I beat you with the bobby pins though. I had 43. :) Even then, long before I was really concerned about hair care, I knew this was a damaging experience.

My hair survived though, and so will yours.

In any case, I agree with the others. It's no big deal to do this once in a while for special occasions.

However, I also know that we become uber-aware of these things once we become LHCers.

eri401
October 3rd, 2010, 04:50 PM
When I got married, I went to this great stylist here who takes really good care of the health of his customer's hair. However, my hair did not hold up all day! So, I can understand why all the product, heat, aggressive tugging and pinning is done...

angelfell
October 3rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Oohh good :D I'm so glad to hear that the one-time abuse shouldn't cause too much damage. I guess I just worry a lot because I have had some one-time experiences (such as perming and straightening way too rough) that have damaged my hair.. a lot. So now I'm all cautious XD. But regardless, I have coconut oil soaking in at the moment, so whatever may have been done to it hopefully can be pampered a little bit by that. I have yet to buy aloe to honey for the smt, I'm just having such a hard time finding the aloe!

Kristin
October 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Like the other posters said, I wouldn't worry too much about the damage. You should have fun with your hair and, so long as you care for it most days, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I buy Fruit of the Earth aloe gel from Amazon.

angelfell
October 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
I buy Fruit of the Earth aloe gel from Amazon.

I may just have to buy it online :/. I just hate leaving money in my bank and I have a credit card but don't want/like to use it (i pretty much have it just to establish credit). When I get my new hours and position, I will be out of work before banks close, so I will likely go to a new bank.

HereIGrowAgain
October 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Everyone already said everything about the hair, so I'll just say:

Your homecoming pictures are very cute!

Beatrix_Kiddo
October 3rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
My hair got more stressed than me in my wedding day. The curling iron, bobby pins, hairspray...God! My scalp hurt at the end of the night!