PDA

View Full Version : Do you get teased for what you put in your hair?

XcaliburGirl
October 3rd, 2010, 07:44 AM
I get teased by my family for what I put in my hair (soap, vinegar, honey, oil). It's all in fun, in fact sometimes I tell them just for the shock value, but sometimes it's a little much. Hey, if regular shampoo and conditioner worked for me, I'd be fine sticking with the normal stuff.

Anyone else get a little teasing? "Ok, what did you try putting in your hair this time? :rolleyes:"

Carolyn
October 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
No never because I never tell anyone what I put in my hair. Don't ask, don't tell KWIM?

hmmm
October 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
No - I even buy a bottle of vinegar solely for the bathroom. Why is that odd, exactly? :D

enfys
October 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
Nope. It's a means to an end and those who know what I use like the end result enough to not tease me for it.

The closest I got to teasing was the times I'd use the last of the honey and my dad would blame me if the meal he was cooking was ruined...regardless of if he wanted to use honey!

I don't get any teasing now it's just me and DH who know what's in the bathroom.

PineappleJello
October 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Whenever I do ACV rinses my sister in law tells me that I'm pickling my hair. Maybe it wouldn't bother me if I didn't find her voice so annoying and if she didn't repeat it every few minutes.

Then she tells me that I have to be careful about what I'm putting in my hair.

pepperminttea
October 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
Just little jibes from my family, nothing serious; no-one else sees what I put in it, really. When I made my first SMT recently my mother was very skeptical, and just said "Honey?!" in an incredulous tone when I reached for the bottle of it. My middle brother does the same thing, when I was oiling my braid tassel he said "What're you putting on your hair now?!" He's also very confused as to why there's a bag of brown sugar on the bathroom windowsill. :p

nellreno
October 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Not particularly. Really the only people who know what I do with my hair is my mom and a couple friends. Ailing hair has become more mainstream recently, and my friends and mom know about my scalp and thinning issues so they kinda understand why I use shampoo bars and baby my hair like this.

One friend has similar scalp issues, though worse than mine, so she uses alternatives to commercial products just like I do.

serious
October 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM
It's just my DH and my DD who know what I put on my hair and they love the result of my experiments, so no teasing for me. :)

Calaelen
October 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
My husband calls me Salad Head when I do a hair treatment, and I'm often teased about the Hask Placenta treatment I tried. So yep, you're not alone.

Qwackie
October 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, pretty much. That's why I never put anything other then honey in my hair.

kabelaced
October 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
People thought I was weird for putting henna in my hair.

They don't see all of the other crazy stuff I put in it, too. ;) But it doesn't matter to me if they care or not, since I like the results I'm getting!

Katurday
October 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
No, they think I'm some sort of mad scientist genious on the pursuit of Hair-vana.
I think they'd be upset if the products were expensive. ;)

chelseamichelle
October 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Yes, all the time, it's quite annoying!

They just don't understand :shrug:

Chestershire
October 3rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
no teasing, but more reactions like: wth would you put that in your hair -___-?

growing2shine
October 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Well... I don't exactly get teased. But my mom and little brother do laugh at me everytime I do a hair treatment etc. But thats okay with me... I am sort of the weird person in my family anyways. :p

Carina
October 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah for sure.My girls think that I am crazy to put sticky honey in my hair and to wash with a schampo bar.But the one thing that makes them go "icky" is my acv rinse.LOL !!!!!But my hair loves it !!!!

weatherwax
October 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Well . . . I tried ktani's idea of using cocoa powder as a dry shampoo . . . and my husband has been calling me Cocoa Puff for a week straight.

DD (3.5 yrs) thinks this is HILARIOUS.

little_cherry
October 3rd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I don't exactly get teased...they're more intrigued by what I do. I have a few things I keep in the fridge and they don't seem to mind at all.

I love my family! :D

Dragon
October 3rd, 2010, 01:02 PM
Never as I dont tell them what I put in my hair. The only thing they know about is that I oil my hair.

HintOfMint
October 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM
One of my friends finds it hysterical that I use coconut oil, because it is such an old-fashioned Indian thing to do.

FrannyG
October 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
I usually do deep oilings and deep treatments (including mayonnaise) when I'm home alone, so really, no, I don't get teased.

I don't think I would get teased by my family anyway, to be honest. We all have our eccentricities and oddball hobbies. :)

I wouldn't dream of talking about what I put in my hair with friends or acquaintances outside of my home though.

Unofficial_Rose
October 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
They didn't bat an eyelid at the olive oil, coconut oil, honey and vinegar.

But for some reason the coconut milk kind of weirded them out. :spitting:

ScarlettAdelle
October 3rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
My family's quit asking what I'm doing now as I'm so often doing something they consider strange! My strangeness is not confined to my hair though, I use granulated sugar to exfoliate & have a bunch of various oils that the rest of my family believe belong in the kitchen under my bathroom sink. Mostly what they stare at me for is coming out of the bathroom with socks tied in my hair :D they thought it was hilarious until I took it down & it looked gorgeous! I guess the joke's on them! XD

hmmm
October 3rd, 2010, 11:55 PM
One of my friends finds it hysterical that I use coconut oil, because it is such an old-fashioned Indian thing to do.

:spitting:

Neneka
October 4th, 2010, 10:20 AM
My boyfriend is now starting to tease me. He thinks that any shampoo I buy from anywhere is safe and everything is so well researched that I am mental if I don't just use regular shampoo. And... He thinks that I don't need conditioner. Blaah! I use shampoo bar with eggs and beer in it. I use vinegar and olive oil. He thinks that there is something wrong with me. He also thinks that I shouldn't use henndigo because chemical colours are more secure to use even if I got so bad split ends that my hair is not gaining length.

ArienEllariel
October 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Not yet really but I have gotten odd looks. Unfortunately, some relatives are coming to stay with us this week and they'll be sharing my bathroom. I just know that I'll get asked why I have honey and ACV in the shower and why there is a tub of coconut oil in the bathroom. -.- I may even get teased by my uncle.. cause he's like that.

Lianna
October 4th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Not ''teasing'', I guess, but my BF thinks I'm a little weird sometimes and laughs. :D Then we laugh together. :D :D

MandyBeth
October 4th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Anyone else get a little teasing? "Ok, what did you try putting in your hair this time? :rolleyes:"

Well, given as the 3 y/o niece runs around and tells EVERYONE she has lemony kitty hair and I am the one to share the info with her mom, it's a running joke now. DF's family has the 3c-4b hair, so really, nothing can be that odd because they are used to the hair that doesn't behave because EEEP! it's dry, and it wants moisture NOW. DF knows if he says anything, I will start in on his "dirty" locs.

In my family, snort, I'm not dying it various shades of non-natural colors, what can I do that's odder than walking around with hair that looked almost exactly like a peacock feather in coloring - do not ask how long THAT took to get in. Oh, I put oil, lemon juice and catnip tea on my hair now, so? It's a normal color, it can't be that weird.

Whenever I do ACV rinses my sister in law tells me that I'm pickling my hair. Maybe it wouldn't bother me if I didn't find her voice so annoying and if she didn't repeat it every few minutes.

Then she tells me that I have to be careful about what I'm putting in my hair.

Oh, yup, brothers like that also when I was using vinegar. Yup, pickling my hair, darn right, I'm preserving it! Yup, that's what I'm doing, thanks for noticing.

Luckysock
October 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM
My husband calls me Salad Head when I do a hair treatment, and I'm often teased about the Hask Placenta treatment I tried. So yep, you're not alone.

Ha, yes. My DH has started calling me 'his bruschetta' cause of my olive oil treatments. I also get teased at length about the honey in the shower...

Intransigentia
October 5th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Conversation last night:
BF: Hey, what are you doing?
Me: I'm mixing up a potion for my hair.
BF: (pause) ooookay then (backs away slowly)

swivelhop
October 6th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I routinely wander around with my huge long handled comb stuck in my hair. It looks like an axe holding a half-up. I've even asked my roomate 'have you seen my comb' while this monster is sticking out of my head.

Misery
October 6th, 2010, 01:42 AM
My house mates sometimes joke about how I should try putting what ever food they're currently holding in my hair, and it's always amusing when it's something I've actually tried.

My father also likes to joke about the "animals"I put in my hair (Hairsticks with animal motifs).

It's all in fun though.

Barniie
October 6th, 2010, 01:59 AM
The other day I just casually leaned over to one of my best friends and said 'Oh yeah, feel my hair, I used honey!'

She flipped out.
:)

She hates her thick coarse tight wavy hair, and knows NOTHING about caring for it, but gets knots about the size of four fists in her hair. She really gets annoyed at me when i complain about my fine, limp blonde hair :)

Neneka
October 6th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Sometimes it's fun but if someone is trying to pressure me to change my routines it's not that fun anymore...

Kris Dove
October 6th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Yep, the hubby teases me about it, and my obsession with my hair(LHC inspires me to try out new things!), but it's all in fun. :)

_Oasis_
October 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Not really teased, but my mother found it disgusting when I put mayo in my hair. She also flipped out when I said something about CO washing, saying it would make my hair dirty and flat. She argues with me about a lot of things to do with hair, oh well.

christine1989
October 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM
People are suprised by what I put in my hair but usually they are intrigued and interested in trying it themselves (I have gotten countless people hooked on coconut oil ;)). I do get snickers from what gets stuck in my hair though. It seems to be a magnet for the dust and lint that float around in the air. People at school are always stopping me to say there is a ball of dust in my hair.

nowxisxforever
October 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Not really. Everyone already knows I'm off my rocker. They're not surprised. :D

vampodrama
October 10th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Not teased really, but they kinda can't wait when my hair falls out completely due to all that weird stuff I put in it....

Cholera
October 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM
My mom tends to tell me that "[I'm] gonna put the whole kitchen on [my] hair." She's good about it, though.. Unless I use one of the good Hass avocados, then there's hell to pay! xD

xoLegallyAubrey
October 10th, 2010, 07:49 AM
I get teased for only using baby products >:o Damn sensitive scalp and body..

baaaad_kitty
October 10th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Oh yes! haha My friends know I use baking soda and vinegar and put random oils and whatnot into my hair. They comment on my hair and make fun of me, but they do also say my hair is nice and have a lot of questions on hair care. So there. They can make fun all they want, they still ask me about caring for their hair.

Choctaw
October 10th, 2010, 11:26 AM
My mom watched me mix up a henna/alma treatment last night in awe (dirt, red tea smelling like curry, castor oil, honey, rosewater glycerin). She saw me outside in the sun today and asked "Is your head sweating?" cool ... my first henna treatment worked :)

desertgirl
October 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I don't get teased for my hair treatments exactly... I think they would tease if they thought that would change what I do with my hair (they don't get it). But they do make comments. When I S&D they say, "You are driving me crazy, just get a trim!"
My mom was amusing when I persisted in my BS & ACV routine; she said, "You're not in Africa anymore; here we have shampoo." I kindly let her know that they have shampoo in Africa too, but my scalp and hair prefer the BS & ACV routine.

Kristin
October 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Yes and no. DBF mostly hates the effects of things I put in my hair (smelly henna, stains on bathroom floor), but does tease when he sees me making an SMT because he is convinced that aloe is for sunburns and honey is a food. I made the mistake of talking about a bad henna experience at work and have a friend who likes to call me "mud head" now. I generally try to stay quiet about "weird" stuff that goes in my hair, but sometimes, I go ahead and tell people because the proof is in the pudding and my hair usually looks pretty darn good. Also, I don't mind getting a laugh at my own expense. ;)

Speckla
October 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Sometimes. My husband teases me for saying, "No, no that goes in the bathroom under the sink." And I'm talking about food items when we're putting away groceries.:cheese: honey, oil, and such, vinegar....

anthonyswife
October 10th, 2010, 08:43 PM
My husband teases me slightly, but I don't mind it much. It probably is pretty weird to most people what I put in my hair. Recently I bought a big bottle of lemon juice, and my husband asked "Why do we have lemon juice?" "For my hair." "Oh, of course." XD

Then when I want to try a new conditioner, it's "Why do you need to buy stuff when you put all that honey and stuff in your hair?" lol :)

Speckla
October 10th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I buy conditioner to delute the honey and other products.

triumphator!
October 10th, 2010, 11:24 PM
My ex boyfriend asks me "so what have you put on your head lately?" every now and then.

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I used to put cocktail pins in my hair, you know the kind you stick in drinks? I collected them and liked to have my collection in my hair. After me and my mother had been on a two day cruise to Germany I had collected allot of them from the bar. I looked like a more colorful version of pinhead. I was teased a bit about that. And even today my old teachers comment that they remember me wandering around with dozens of cocktail pins in my hair. :D

Mangachan
October 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I keep telling myself not to tell people what I use on my hair. but when I told some people that I brush through my hair in the shower with lots of conditioner on it, they still made a big deal out of it.

piper31
October 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Yes, I do. Especially BS and ACV...I get called a "hippie". I tell them its better than using commercial shampoo which has lots of strange chemicals in it. I'd rather be a "hippie" with healthy hair and scalp than "normal" with itchy scalp and chemicals soaking into my pores.

Cheeks1206
October 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yeah, a little bit. DH calls me a hippie and sometimes when I mention washing my hair he makes cracks about washing it with tree bark and dirt. It doesn't bother me and I know it's all in good fun. :shrug:

Cheeks1206
October 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I keep telling myself not to tell people what I use on my hair. but when I told some people that I brush through my hair in the shower with lots of conditioner on it, they still made a big deal out of it.

Why? Is it the brushing or the conditioner that bothers people? I feel like I might be a little obtuse for not understanding, but isn't that they way you're supposed to comb hair in the shower? Especially curly hair?

Whatever. Just brush them off because you know you're doing good by your hair.:cheese:

CaityBear
October 12th, 2010, 09:13 PM
My dad usually playfully teases me if I have henna sitting in my hair or some other treatment. Otherwise not usually. Though he usually worries about what I keep in the fridge if it's an unknown thing. Sometimes I mix up hair or skin things and it sits in the fridge for a bit so he usually has to ask if it's edible. lol

Kyaatje
October 13th, 2010, 06:12 AM
DH is used to me putting things in my hair that he considers to be food :-)

and I have a colleague how is just like me and we ignore the rest so we are discussing the benefits of mayo, yoghurt, banana, oils, different kinds of fruits and vegies and so oin to the horror of the rest LOL

Mangachan
October 13th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Why? Is it the brushing or the conditioner that bothers people? I feel like I might be a little obtuse for not understanding, but isn't that they way you're supposed to comb hair in the shower? Especially curly hair?

Whatever. Just brush them off because you know you're doing good by your hair.:cheese:

Yes, you have it correct. That is in fact the way you're supposed to comb curly hair. Alot of people are still in the mindset that all hair is supposed to be combed dry twice a day. Really, it was both things that were strange to them.

The reason it came up was because they have hair like mine and they were complaining about how they couldn't take care of it that way, it was too hard to manage, etc,. Of course it's hard to handle if you're trying to tear through it dry from root to tip with a rat tailed comb. lol

Spike
October 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Conversation last night:
BF: Hey, what are you doing?
Me: I'm mixing up a potion for my hair.
BF: (pause) ooookay then (backs away slowly)

:spitting:
Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! I and my hair WILL CRUSH YOU ALL!!!

Except for you LHC members. :grouphug: