PDA

View Full Version : my scalp hurts?

Vuvuzela
October 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
So. This is a more or less awkward problem. My scalp hurts...like right on my crown basically where my part ends. Mainly it hurts when I swish my hair or touch it or brush my hair or basically anything that actually causes my hair to move...It's a little weird. And I don't understand it...anybody?

ScarlettAdelle
October 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Sounds like mine when I've had it in rollers for hours & take it down, or when it's been in a ponytail all day & I let it down, it's like each follicle is going "PORQUEEEE?!" I think it's due mostly to the different directions your hair is being pulled, like how at the end of a part, part of your scalp is being pulled to each side & back. It could also be due to the weight of your hair working with gravity to make you miserable :D It does that sometimes.

If I tilt my head back & massage my scalp it tends to go away after a while

Carolyn
October 3rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I get that now and then when my hair hasn't been washed for 3 or 4 days. I've learned that washing it and a good but gentle scalp massage solves the problem.

Arianwen
October 3rd, 2010, 07:48 AM
So. This is a more or less awkward problem. My scalp hurts...like right on my crown basically where my part ends. Mainly it hurts when I swish my hair or touch it or brush my hair or basically anything that actually causes my hair to move...It's a little weird. And I don't understand it...anybody?

Been there, done that.

Gumball
October 3rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
If it really only happens when you move around their hair in the area, which also happens when you touch the scalp in the area as a byproduct, that can happen because of the muscles that attach to the base of the hair follicles. They can get used to leaning in one direction. A way to see that in action is when people talk about having to train their hair to part differently, since they find their hair has an easy time going in one direction, but not in another. The muscles are just used to that.

The soreness can often come because of a similar situation in how your elbow can get sore from holding a phone up to your ear for a long time, and then having to straighten your arm afterward. It didn't hurt your arm/elbow to hold the phone up, but it got used to the position, and was a tad sore when you tried to straighten it again. That can happen with your hair, too. It gets used to resting in one position, and the muscles supporting it get sore when you try to move it. I've noticed it after a few days, too, and have seen it in others after wearing a style for a while they normally don't wear.