PDA

View Full Version : any curlies/wavies with a straight hair mom, or any straighties with a curly/wavy mom

TealDolphin
October 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
How did your mom take care of your hair when you were a kid?

Roseate
October 1st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Washed it with 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner. Combed with wide-tooth comb when wet. Airdried, sometimes a quick blast of blowdrier in winter. Brushed with hideous nylon-bristle brush in between washes, causing crazy poofy static! Cut it somewhere between chin and shoulder, in a bob with bangs.

I could have used MUCH more conditioner, and could definitely have done without the dry brushing, but it wasn't the worst routine ever. My mom cared for her own 3a hair in exactly the same way, she was just passing it on.

ETA: Oops, didn't read the title right! My mom is a curly and I'm a wurly, so I don't really count. Sari!

Kaijah
October 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
Yup, my mom's hair is pretty much my polar opposite - completely straight, very fine, prone to oiliness. Pretty much the only other curly in my family is one aunt on my father's side.

She mostly just kept it cut short (chin-to-shoulder), and treated it like her own hair: lots of shampoo, only a little conditioner on the tips. Why, oh why, did I have so much frizz, I wonder? :rolling:

Aleria
October 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM
I'm a wavy with a straight haired mom. She's pretty much the opposite hairtype of me - 1A, F, ii.
She cut my hair when I was younger and it usually turned out pretty well (except the lice incident... when I got a boy-cut ><). She always made me brush it, and if I didn't, well, it got cut. She liked putting it up and stuff when I was little.

However, I think I only got wavy around puberty and after the lice-cut, in my school pictures before that it's super straight and sleek, but still really thick. I know we still have some clippings from my first two haircuts, I should look at them and see what my texture was then :D

invisiblebabe
October 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM
My hair was straight up until I was 15. My mom has wavy/curly hair. When I was a kid, she washed it with shampoo and conditioner, combed it while it was wet, and let it air dry. She kept it between shoulder length and BSL until I decided for myself to grow it out ;) (it was classic length from ages 12 to 18).

swivelhop
October 1st, 2010, 09:26 PM
Best left forgotten?

LoversLullaby
October 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM
My mom's hair is straight and my hair's wavy/curly. She used to shampoo and condition the length and brush it when wet. She loved to do braids, pigtails, etc....
Actually, my hair was kind of cute when I was little. It was a bit poofy, but much less curly than it is now.

Rennire
October 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM
My mom is stick straight and I am on the curly side of wavy. I had short hair for most of my childhood =( She couldn't be bothered to fuss with it. Oh well, I'm making up for it now!

FrizzFighter
October 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
My Mom loved my thick tailbone length hair (she also had long hair but silky and straight). She would wash and condition my hair, then comb and braid it into one or two big braids. On weekends we both wore our hair loose. This was back in the 70's and everyone I knew had long natural hair. My grandmother hated what she called hippie hair and she wasn't gentle combing my hair at night when I stayed over. When my grandparents babysat me one weekend, my grandma took me to her hairdresser and had her cut my hair off to just above my shoulder. I was about ten so I didn't realize how traumatic this would be until after it was done. When my hair was really long it had a wave but it wasn't curly or frizzy. Cut short it went all sorts of directions. I hated it and my parents were mortified when they picked me up, which of course made me more self concious. Ah, childhood :(

Aevra
October 2nd, 2010, 12:08 AM
She told me how to wash, condition, brush and braid. Then she told me to do it myself and if I didn't take care of my hair and let it get tangles constantly, then she would have it cut off.

My hair was TBL and I didn't take care of it properly, so when I was 8 she took me to the hair salon and chopped it to my ear lobes. So how she took care of it was to tell me to, then cut it all off.

Katze
October 2nd, 2010, 03:21 AM
my mom treated my hair like she treats hers - rough brushing, those plastic ball-and-bristle brushes, brushing upside down...she never had hair longer than shoulder that I can remember.

My hair went wavy in my teens and I never knew what to do with it, so I blowdried and used the curling iron to make it straight and put lots of product and hairspray into it and redid it about twice a day. I also bleached. I was trying to go from my brown, wavy adult hair back to my straight, pale blonde childhood hair. Definitely had issues.

My mom still does not get that my hair is wavy, or understand things like WO or leave-in.

MinderMutsig
October 2nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
My mom has pretty much the same hair type as me so she didn't have trouble with my hair but my sister has crazy curly hair that she definitely struggled with.
She brushed it, often when wet and overconditioned it which left my sister walking around with a ball of fluff on her head for most of her childhood. It wasn't until puberty, when she started educating herself and take care of her own hair, that her wonderful curls were revealed.

As a child she hated her hair and wished she could have the same hair as me and my sister but she is really happy with it now.

Dragon
October 2nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
My Mum use brush mine really ruff working from scalp down. Ouch. Wash it once a week with shampoo and no conditioner as wasn't aloud to use conditioner till I was 12. After washing she would blow dry it on full heat when I was younger, Anouther Ouch. When I got older she made me go out side till it dryed.

Dragon
October 2nd, 2010, 04:02 AM
For got to say my Hair is a little curly. My Mums is to but not as curly as mine.

tabby28
October 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
My mum was a straight/wavyand I'm a curly - she didnt know what to do with it at all. She favoured short hair all her life so cut mine that way too - but with my curl it produced some great looks :D

She usually let it be completely wild though - which was good because it didnt upset the curl. But when we had to go to family do's my nan or granny (both straighties too) would brush my hair out resulting in awesome frizz.

Generally my childhood pics are pretty funny :D Didnt bother me one bit as a kid but my teen years were difficult until I got the hang of doing it myself!

I think if I'd had a curly mum I might have started to love my curls a bit sooner rather than crave impossible hairstyles for straight hair that I cannot achieve...

sakuraemily
October 2nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
shampooed my hair around once a month. did WO the rest of the time. oiling every alternate day with coconut oil.
she kept my hair chin length as long as it was in her control.
and it used to be healthier.
oh and she has wavy hair and i have straight

Capybara
October 2nd, 2010, 06:54 AM
My mom has *very* curly, coarse hair. Mine, on the other hand, is straight and errs on the fine side of medium. The only similarity is that I inherited her thickness.

When I was little, she would wash it once to twice a week, in the kitchen sink, with shampoo and conditioner - the brands changed all the time, but it was usually some form of Outrageous brand shampoo. We'd then put it up in a towel to dry for a few minutes, then let it down and air dry. She only let me brush my hair when it was dry (funny, because I did absolutelyeverything I could to get out of brushing my hair. I've always loved doing unique styles, but hated brushing. My hair was constantly a tangled mess - ouch!), but when she brushed it, I usually had tears streaming down my face - low pain tolerance combined with baby dreads from my lack of attention :lol:

I guess the routine was pretty good, except the brushing. I had waist length or longer hair all throughout my childhood.

Siava
October 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
TealDolphin, my daughter and myself are the only curlies in our family. We've no idea where this comes from, but here we are.

My mom encouraged me to blowdry and straighten constantly. Little did she (or I) know that I was ruining my hair and making it worse. DD is grateful her mom is a curly because although our textures are different, I can help. Thank goodness for this site because not one day has she gone to school with a head full of frizz. She does love to straighten, but when she wears her curls they are luxurious due to what I've learned here and have passed on.

Gabriel
October 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
My mom is a curly, curly head. I was more of a 1a when I was younger and she loved (and still does!) my hair. Of course I always wanted curly hair growing up because that was mostly what was around me naturally on everyone else.

I had hip to tailbone length hair until I was in my early 20's when I cut it to shoulder and then progressively shorter.

I don't remember the washing routine she used, but I've always used conditioner. Also, brushing sessions were never painful. I don't have any negative hair memories with my mom growing up. She was really great with my hair. I have more horror hair memories of stuff I inflicted on myself!

There was even a chewing gum incident and lice incident and neither of them brings to mind anything traumatic, just what seemed to be hours of sitting patiently while she combed through my hair gently.

She would braid my hair a lot and I always had lots of bright kiddie hair toys like bows and stuff. I do remember the special occassions when she would curl my hair because I always loved curly hair. The hours either spent with a curling iron (very very rare) and mostly various curler sets she would try.

Ah the amusement of watching the curls fall out!

Quixotica
October 2nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
My mom has stick-straight hair, but very thick. She was always very rough with my hair, dragging combs through it and what - not (My hair was VERY curly when I was younger and knotted very easily).

I got my curlies/wavies from my dad, who would often take over my hair care and was much, much more gentle! :)

growing2shine
October 2nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
My hair is straight and both my mom and my dad has curly hair.:hmm:

When I was little my mom cut my hair into a short bob and then she would leave it untill it would get to long for her to manage. She washed my hair every 2. day with shampoo and sometimes when it got a little past my shoulders she would use conditioner or 2-in-1 if it tangled to much. And my mom never put my hair up or anything, she would just let it hang.:silly: (On every single picture from my early childhood my hair was a big mess.:lol:)

But I was very young when I started putting my hair up, and I loved those colourfull scrunchies!:inlove:

Presto
October 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
My mom always blew out her hair, and it would never hold a curl from curling irons. Her hair is brown-black, medium to coarse. She considered it straight, lately she has been going more natural and probably has 2a/b or so in reality.

She treated my hair just like hers. Hair is hair! And my sister's is medium brown colored and more fine but also very straight, 1b/c or so. Majority rules, you know, why didn't my hair play along?

As a child my hair was blond, fine, and probably 3c. I rarely saw it because she used straight shampoo only or at most a 2 in 1 on me and blew dried every time so we wouldn't "catch cold". Blow dry with a brush.
Nylon bristle brushes, fine tooth combs, used when dry and then after washing while blowdrying.
My hair was a fuzzy mess, always. She took me for perms to "bring out the curl".
In high school I discovered air drying left my hair much nicer, but still didn't get any conditioner until I moved out.

I still have 3c in my underlayer and at my temples, but my crown is flat 3a, and the rest 3b-ish, so I'm going with 3a/b

annibell
October 2nd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I'm a very curly with stright thin haired mom. I am the only one in the entire family with very thick really curly long hair. She had no idea of caring for my type of hair. Shampoo but no conditioner. This was in the 60's . My baby sitters would iron my hair for me. or braid it or rat it. I was nicknamed bushwoman and my long wild hair was the subject of teasing. The worst was going to salons to get a trim and an inch offbecame 6 inches. Everyone always wanted me to cut my hair short. Tears. I fought that! So I had long bushy curly hair.
My Grandma would brush it for an hour for me every weekend and give me a head massage.This was really the best . I was very thankful that i got older and I was initiated into proper curly hair care by some very expert women who showed me how to get rid of the wild frizz and the dryness. And love my long curly hair! And hate haircuts!

ScarlettAdelle
October 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
I have curly curly hair (father was half black) and was raised by my English and Native American grandmother who has super fine, oily, stick straight hair.

She used to scrub my hair & scalp with shampoo every day, only condition it a little and then attempt to blowdry it straight or weigh it down with hot rollers at the ends. That or just put it in "french braids" which were by no stretch of the imagination french braids, but instead braids that started at about crown level & then were tied in a hairband with the other hair at the nape of my neck & then braided from there. They looked just about as strange as they sound, and I hated them, but she loved em and made me wear them all the time.

No wonder I have such a complex about big, frizzy hair, and never let anyone else play with my hair. It was EVERYWHERE and I always hated it.

girlcat36
October 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
My mom had straight hair, and I am a 3a/b. It was most unfortunate. She had literally NO IDEA what to do with it, so it was cut into a boy short pixie. Everyone thought I was a boy! Don't think I'll ever get over that.
If it was allowed to grow to shoulder length(a rarity), she would attack it with plastic bristle brushes. She never put my hair up, or in braids; guess she didn't know how.

I was given a hair dryer as 12th birthday present. My hair was usually blown out in a very short bob. Hideous. But I used that dryer everyday.
One time when I was sixteen I had spent the weekend at a friends house swimming in their pool, and I guess there was no access to a hair dryer, so I came home with a full on set of natural curls.
My mother was horrified, and yelled, "What the hell did they do to your hair?!"
Um, somehow she managed to block out in her memory banks that I was actually born with curls.

My own 3a daughter was fortunate to have a mom who understood curls. I didn't know as much as I know now, unfortunately, but it was enough to allow her to have TBL curls.

white line
October 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM
My mom has curly hair and I have straight. She always wears her hair short (long for her is collar bone in back). I did have waist-length hair til I was 5/6, then off it went. She hated combing it out. I was above shoulder-length til jr year in high school and could finally grow it out. Has been long ever since.

HintOfMint
October 9th, 2010, 05:05 PM
It's not so much the curl pattern that distinguishes us, but the texture and thickness. She has very fine silky hair that she keeps short, and mine is thick, wavy, and mixed textures with a heavy dose of coarseness. She felt that conditioner just weighs hair down and makes it dirty and flat again. She also felt that a "moisturizing shampoo" was an oxymoron. Not great hair guidance for a girl whose hair NEEDS conditioner badly.
And since she kept it short, she could vigorously rub-dry her hair with a towel and not worry about damage.
She also was a subscriber to vigorous brushing with a plastic bristled brush. Won't lie though, it felt good. So damaging, but so good.
Put it all together and what do you get?
Coarse wavy unconditioned hair being rubbed dry with a towel and then with subsequent tangles being ripped through by a plastic bristled brush.

She did give me coconut oil though, and head massages. It balances out, I think.

looling
October 9th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I'm a curly with a straight hair mom! And that wasn't helpful at all. No advice or care was given to her curly daughter :( I grew up disliking my curls so much and had to find suitable methods through the hard way. It was tough...

Jules diamond
October 10th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I'm a wavy and my mom is a curly. My mom didn't do too much with my hair besides cut it and it was always too short to work with my hair type.

Nocturnal
October 11th, 2010, 01:49 AM
I think it's pretty common when a curly mom is as clueless to curly haircare just as a straight haired mom.

Dragon
October 11th, 2010, 02:42 AM
I hate it when Mums know how to but just dont care. My Mum use to brush my SL hair from roots down when I was a kid. I discovered when I was 15 that she new how to brush hair properly. Back than I had apl hair which she had to help me with for a short time after having sugery on my finger and I did not feel any pain when she brushed it. How mean is that. My scalp has always been very sensitive and it would heart like crazy:( I bet she new using a hair dryer on full heat also heart:(