PDA

View Full Version : I don't think deep oiling is for me...

MinderMutsig
October 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
I've been using a drop of jojoba oil on the length of my hair as a leave-in after washing and really liked that but tonight I tried a deep oiling and I'm less than impressed.

I used the same jojoba oil and followed instruction from a youtube video that was linked somewhere on this forum. Massaged a little oil on my scalp, put some on the length, put my hair up and let it soak for a couple of hours before washing it. I don't think I've used too much since the oil level in my tiny bottle is pretty much the same as it was before applying it.

Unfortunately getting all the oily residue from my hair was pretty much impossible. First I tried my normal C-COW-C method which I've read here should work but my hair still felt greasy. I had to wash my hair with shampoo twice before it felt remotely clean again and my hair does not respond well to shampoo.

My head is a hot mess of flyaways, the rest of my hair hangs limp and my scalp itches.

Is oiling just not for me or do you think I did something wrong?

I'm sad, oiling your hair sounds so luxurious and pampering. Like something princesses do.

"Oh your hair is wonderful! How do you do that?!"
"I oil....:queen:"
"Oooohhhhhhh :flower: "

Itchy fluffy hair was not what I was going for... :(

Igor
October 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hmm. I wonder if jojoba is the right oil for a deep oiling like that? I don’t think its one of those oils that absorbs a lot? (Hoping someone else can explain or help further)

MinderMutsig
October 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Oh please let that be the problem!

*dreams of bragging about luxurious oiling*

Carolyn
October 1st, 2010, 06:33 PM
My first thought was the same. I would guess that jojoba is not the oil for you for heavy oilings. You could try coconut, camellia, or apricot kernel oil for example. A lot of us get really good results washing out the oil with a CO wash using a cheapie, runny drugstore conditioner like White Rain, VO5, or Suave. I leave mine on at least an hour. That may not be really necessary but that's what I like to do and it works for me. Don't give up yet.

my2cats1
October 1st, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that olive oil and cocounut oil are the most penetrating, so try one of those for deep oiling.

MinderMutsig
October 1st, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hmmm I have EVOO and pumpkin seed oil handy. Maybe I'll try one of those next time just to see if it makes a difference.
From experience it's going to take my hair a couple of weeks to get back to normal after something like this so it might be a while.

MinderMutsig
October 2nd, 2010, 04:17 AM
It's the day after and I just tried to finger comb my hair after taking my nightly updo down and it's even worse than I thought. Even with careful finger combing I can hear my hair breaking and tearing.

Not really sure what to do with it now to help it recover. :(

Katze
October 2nd, 2010, 04:20 AM
I can't do that kind of oiling either. One drop is fine, once a day.

Fine hair just gets weighed down so easily that heavy oiling is counterproductive. A little goes a long, long way. Or you can try leave-ins (I like Fox's or Goth Rosary) or misting.

Dragon
October 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM
May be try some other oils but use a little less. When I do a heavy oiling I use more oil then normal but not to much as I find it doesent come out eaisly. If I over do it, it takes 2 normal shampooing or 1 baby shampooing to get it out. I can usualy get it out with co washing if I dont use to much.

habioku
October 2nd, 2010, 04:36 AM
I'm pretty sure that olive oil and cocounut oil are the most penetrating, so try one of those for deep oiling.

I agree...I readed this in a scientific article...
I use olive oil for deep oiling and I'm very sadisfied with it.

katha
October 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
I'd go for coconut as well. I use that, sometimes olive oil, but that's really rather heavy so I'm not doing that often. Hard to get out.
I use shampoo, not conditioner. I'm paranoid like that. ^^

MinderMutsig
October 2nd, 2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'll go back to my normal routine of C-COW-C and a drop of oil after washing.

My hair doesn't respond well to oiling when it's dry so maybe that's where things went wrong. If I ever try this again I'll spray my hair until damp before applying the oil and I'll use even less oil. I did spray it a little water on it now but maybe not enough.

Any tips on what I can do with my hair now to make it manageable and prevent further damage or what I can do against the terrible itching?

stkl
October 2nd, 2010, 05:31 AM
to be honest ive tried deep oiling with lots of different types, olive, coconut, jojoba, argan,on both wet and dry hair. i think its a bit messy to do, Always breaks my out on my hair line, a nightmare to try and wash out, and once its dry i NEVER notice any difference. maybe my hair just doesnt like it?

what does work is leaving a deep conditioner (a pre-wash or normal one) over night under a swim cap. Lovely soft, shiny hair, no mess or spots and easy to rinse. but what is wierd is that the conditioners which i find work the best for me are the ones which contain lots of oils??!!!! i guess my hair is just wierd :s

Capybara
October 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM
When I do deep oilings, I only put the oil on my length and the parts of my scalp affected by psoraisis. I don't put it right on the hairline or around my ears, etc, pretty much only at the nape. Maybe some sort of hybrid deep oiling like this would work for you?

I second usig coconut oil or EVOO as well. My hair loves both :) Good luck!

ETA: I just read your past post. I'm not sure how this would turn out, but is it possible to mix oil and conditioner and put that on your head overnight? Wouldn't hurt to try :)

torrilin
October 2nd, 2010, 06:05 AM
Hmm. I wonder if jojoba is the right oil for a deep oiling like that? I don’t think its one of those oils that absorbs a lot? (Hoping someone else can explain or help further)

No, it's not super-penetrating. It *does* work well for a deep oiling on my hair, but I'm using a different method from the OP, and I think the results I'm looking for are a bit different.

I start with a sopping wet head (not damp, actively wet), and I gently work through as much jojoba as my wet hair will absorb as I finger comb it to detangle. No oil on my scalp. Then I do the usual and let my hair air dry. My hair tends to be really dry, and the jojoba oil seems to force my hair to absorb a lot more moisture from the water. Afterwards, the oil doesn't all absorb, but it'll happily come off with my regular washing routine.

End result after a deep oiling is I find more waves in my hair, and my ends are a lot softer and much less tangle prone. My hair has more volume and bounce. Definitely a nice change, since I've never had any volume before. Doesn't show up really until the wash *after* but... I'll take what I can get.

I haven't tried other oils yet, since I'm still getting used to what jojoba oil does for my hair with various techniques.

If I'm using jojoba oil on dry hair, it's definitely a few drops on the ends to help with detangling. More is not better on my hair when it's dry.

stkl
October 2nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
When I do deep oilings, I only put the oil on my length and the parts of my scalp affected by psoraisis. I don't put it right on the hairline or around my ears, etc, pretty much only at the nape. Maybe some sort of hybrid deep oiling like this would work for you?

Thats a really good idea, ill give it a try, thanks :)

Deborah
October 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
You might be over-thinking this. Some hair simply does not need any oil added to it. Yours is probably that type. In that case the solution is simple - just skip the oil. End of problem. :)

MinderMutsig
October 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
ETA: I just read your past post. I'm not sure how this would turn out, but is it possible to mix oil and conditioner and put that on your head overnight? Wouldn't hurt to try :) I'm a bit apprehensive to use a lot of oil on my hair again so soon but maybe I'll try this next time, thanks.

Igor
October 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I’m currently using coconut oil, olive oil and grape seed oil.
Olive oil strengthens the hair strand.
Grape seed oil is high in ceramides (According to a recent thread, the second highest in ceramides that was listed. The highest was safflower oil, which is extremely expensive)
Coconut oil is the best/deepest penetrating oil for hair and the only one proven to prevent protein loss. The only thing is, I can’t let it get on my scalp! I know other people can, but any contact with coconut oil on my skin makes me super itchy and consequently leads to breakouts :shrug:

little_cherry
October 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Jojoba oil is technically a wax, so it's not suitable for heavy oilings...however, coconut olive, argan and hemp seed oil are some oils I've tried that are wonderful for deep oilings!

spidermom
October 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've noticed that after a deep oiling, a lot of times my hair will still feel oily when it's wet, but it doesn't by the time it's dry. So next time try drying your hair before washing it again.

little_cherry
October 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I've noticed that after a deep oiling, a lot of times my hair will still feel oily when it's wet, but it doesn't by the time it's dry. So next time try drying your hair before washing it again.
so true! The hair must 'suck up' the excess or something as it is drying.

Fiferstone
October 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
I'm a finey, and I only do my deep-oiling (coconut oil) the night before washday. I've never tried Jojoba oil on my hair but if Little Cherry is right, then perhaps it's less good for a pre-wash deep oiling because it's more difficult to get out, and thus requires more aggressive surfacants than you want to use? I'm having very good luck with coconut oil, but unlike lots of people, I cannot apply oil to dry hair at all, unless I want stringy, piece-y looking limp hair :shrug:.

Capybara
October 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

I get this as well. Sometimes, even, my hair will still feel oily when it's dry, but I'll braid it/bun it and forget about it - by the end of the day, it'll feel perfectly normal :) I think it's just the extra moisture, I'm not sure, but it also takes longer to dry when I oil.

JulietCapulet
October 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
What about Almond oil? I use that all over my hair in between blow dries to keep it shiny. Should I use coconut oil instead?

McFearless
October 2nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
Olive oil is good for deep treatments. Better luck next time.