PDA

View Full Version : hair under the microscope

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Pictures of hair under the microscope: http://www.hairdressersus.com/under%20the%20microscope.asp
They also give causes for particular types of damage as seen in pictures. Very graphic, I'd say.
Just wanted to share.

TinaDenali
October 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
Eeeps! That poor hair!!

But, I know my hair used to look like this... back when I bleached it all the time AND back-combed it... ahh!!

Chestershire
October 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM
wow, the damaged hair looks really bad! I think I'm gonna be even nicer for it now! :|

Ravenne
October 1st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Very cool! Good to see all those pictures together. It really gives you an idea of what your hair can look like if you don't watch it. Lol. Only problem I have with it is this...

Try to use a product containing Dimethiconol which has split-end repairing properties.

That is in the split ends section. Right before that it says there's no cure except cutting them off, which is true. And then they say that. I can imagine that'd be confusing to someone who's just learning. Maybe a better phrasing would be "split-end concealing." :shrug: I dunno. Very interesting article though.

mellie
October 1st, 2010, 04:56 PM
Very cool, I like the pics!

I totally thought the same thing, Ravenne!

Jadewtch
October 1st, 2010, 05:01 PM
That is definitely some motivation for better hair care there!

little_cherry
October 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM
This post reminds me of this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) article...

"Try to use a product containing Dimethiconol which has split-end repairing properties."
That is in the split ends section. Right before that it says there's no cure except cutting them off, which is true. And then they say that. I can imagine that'd be confusing to someone who's just learning. Maybe a better phrasing would be "split-end concealing." :shrug: I dunno. Very interesting article though.
Dimethiconal doesn't repair ends really...it just masks the damage by coating it with cones.. Once you stop using cones, the coating goes away and the damage is still there. Nothing really fixes split ends except for S&D. Catnip rinses are known to prevent them, though!

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 05:28 PM
Now I want a haircut something fierce, just knowing those monsters are lurking in my mane.

jeanniet
October 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
I have a microscope. There is no way I am using it to look at my hair! :D

Capybara
October 1st, 2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for sharing, mariika! Eeep - I agree with spidermom, my first thought was to grab my S&D scissors and do an extended mission.

Interesting, it says that the hair on males grows more quickly than the hair on females. I wonder whether that holds true for male/female LHC members?

LittleOrca
October 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM

I was about to comment on that. There is no split-end repair, just split end disguise. :)

Lianna
October 1st, 2010, 09:51 PM
I wonder how I could prevent knots. I've never seen split ends, but saw 2 knots in my bangs.

beez1717
October 2nd, 2010, 12:46 AM
this just got me to wonder: how do you get rid of tangles without ripping them apart?

Dragon
October 2nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
Very interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

swivelhop
October 2nd, 2010, 01:11 AM
this just got me to wonder: how do you get rid of tangles without ripping them apart?

I just 'untie/unravel' them, one hair at a time.

mariika
October 2nd, 2010, 07:00 AM
That is definitely some motivation for better hair care there!
True! Motivates me a great deal!

Now I want a haircut something fierce, just knowing those monsters are lurking in my mane.
HAHAHAH)))

I have a microscope. There is no way I am using it to look at my hair! :D
)))))))))) Wise.

Interesting, it says that the hair on males grows more quickly than the hair on females. I wonder whether that holds true for male/female LHC members?
Now I officially hate all the male race. :smack:

OMG, don't even say that word!! Yikes!

I just 'untie/unravel' them, one hair at a time.
Yes, you gently pull a hair out of the tangle, if it easily gets out you keep pulling until you get it out, if it's stuck, you leave it alone and pull a different hair. 99% cases this detangles the whole tangle without a single broken hair. But usually there is a hair or two in the tangle that are severely damaged or have a fairy knot on them.

lajsa
October 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I remember we looked at hair in the microscope at school when I was younger. My group looked at mine, because I worked with my more shortish-haired friend. It looked... a bit like the extremely raised cuticle example, I'm afraid. :o Well, that was before my LHC knowledge, obviously.

EleanorRigby
October 3rd, 2010, 10:49 PM
omg, amazing pictures, is impressing the way that damaged hair looks under the microscope, i hope mine looks better :p

ilovelonghair
October 4th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Scary! I had my hair under the microscope once and projected on a wall...... that was when I had a perm and hair dye. I came back after henna-ing and the henna-ed hair was projected on the wall: it was all smooth.
I like to repeat that test, but just with shed hair of course!