PDA

View Full Version : ways to damage hair

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 08:55 AM
So I've been thinking - it's either my hair has really sad terminal length or I am damaging it to the extent where it won't go past bsl. And this got me thinking - how exactly am I damaging it? What ways of damaging hair are out there?
Here's what I came up with:
1. Heat: flat iron, curling iron, blow dry.
2. Chemicals: perm, dye, bleach, hairspray and the styling stuff bunch, SLS, cones.
3. Physical: excessive combing/brushing, rolling on curlers.
4. Pressure: tight hairstyles, clip-ins, extensions, hairtoys.
5. Stuff you insert in your hair that is made of rough material: combs/brushes, hairtoys.
6. Sleeping with your hair loose and tossing too much.
7. Wearing your hair down all the time - it gets caught up in stuff and brushes against stuff.
8. Poor diet.
9. Stress.

EDITED: 10. Sun, wind, health conditions.

Please, help me advance the list!

EDITED I also like this classification by Anje:

I guess I would class damage sources something like this:

Chemical (bleach, peroxide, ammonia, chlorine, etc.)
Heat
Radiation (UV as the prime example -- weakens fabrics and hair over time. Gamma's not good for follicles, either, but if you're exposed to gamma radiation, you have other things to worry about.)
Illness and nutrient deficiency (usually cause weaking of the hair when it grows, or hair loss. I'll include medication side-effects in this category.)
Tension (leading to traction alopecia, for example)
Mechanical (this is a big list... Hair ties that are rough or rub the same place constantly, harsh toweling, rubbing on non-slippery pillows, chairs, backcombing, excessive friction from anything, sharp hair tools -- all damage the length. Blunt scissors and razors damage the ends. Cats that chew on braid tassels!)
Tangle-associated (another big list. Anything applied to hair that causes it to tangle more goes here, including products that are drying to your individual hair. So does wearing hair loose, windy days, washing by piling hair on head, etc. Some amount of this can be mitigated by careful detangling, but ultimately, I believe that tangled hair gets funny bends and weak points in it, causes more tangles, then eventually breaks. So preventing tangles is central.)

Xepher
October 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
H'mm, what about back-combing, detangling from the roots down, wrapping it up in a heavy towel after a shower, teasing the hair, rubbing it vigorously with a towel to dry it, and squeezing too hard when wringing it out? Those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head.

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM
Xepher, would you care to explain the difference between teasing the hair and back-combing? Thanks.

And you are right, rubbing with a towel used to be my major hair crime for many years.

Xepher
October 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hah, mine too :o As well as lots of back-combing (Which I still do some times, it feels so good!) and wearing it up in a big heavy towel, before I got a cap specifically for that.

Back-combing is just combing your hair back from your forehead, to the back of your head and down. I'm not actually sure -why- it's damaging, but someone said that it was.

Teasing is when you take a section of hair, usually around the top of the head, hold it up, and run a comb up and down that lock of hair til it kind of puffs out and stands up funny. 'Emo' kids do this to make their crazy hairstyles, and some women use it to make their hair appear thicker. As you can imagine, it's VERY damaging, because you're roughing up the hair shafts.

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Wearing hair loose in the sunshine.

Chanteuse87
October 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Hmm, I always thought that back combing and teasing were synonymous. Though going from your definition of back combing, it could potentially be damaging if you run into tangles halfway down and just rip through them. Much like detangling roots down.

Igor
October 1st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Don’t forget sun damage and being whipped in the wind

Back-combing is just combing your hair back from your forehead, to the back of your head and down. I'm not actually sure -why- it's damaging, but someone said that it was.
Backcombing and teasing is bad because it’s ruining the outer surface of the hair strand and exposing the insides to wear and tear. The surface is covered with this overlapping structure like fish scales or roof tiles. Combing against it will tear the structure up and eventually they will break off completely

Hmm, I always thought that back combing and teasing were synonymous. Though going from your definition of back combing, it could potentially be damaging if you run into tangles halfway down and just rip through them. Much like detangling roots down.
Yep, I think so too. Backcombing is the description of what you’re actually doing, teasing just sounds nicer and less damaging :shrug:

Xepher
October 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM
Don’t forget sun damage and being whipped in the wind

Backcombing and teasing is bad because it’s ruining the outer surface of the hair strand and exposing the insides to wear and tear. The surface is covered with this overlapping structure like fish scales or roof tiles. Combing against it will tear the structure up and eventually they will break off completely

Yep, I think so too. Backcombing is the description of what you’re actually doing, teasing just sounds nicer and less damaging :shrug:

Ah, maybe I just have the wrong idea about back-combing then. I always thought it was basically just combing your hair towards the back of your head instead of down the sides (From the roots down yes, which I know is bad), not combing against the hair shafts like that.

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM
I goolged it, backcombing and teasing seem to be one and the same thing: THIS - http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/15/51/31/400_F_15513114_h8mrc753tTc1TXHN6tjU1aObQoDb3Vlb.jp g YIKES!
I don't understand how exactly sun is damaging? We humans aren't supposed to stay in a cave, are we? And the wind? How is it damaging? If hair gets caught up somewhere or is being brushed against smth because of the wind then it's damaging but usually it's just hair flipping out there on the loose - how is that damaging?

Centaur
October 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Add "medical" to your list, as hypothyroidism can cause the hair to shed and grow in dry and weak, making it easier to break. There are other medical conditions as well that can make the hair less strong and health and more prone to breakage.

Igor
October 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
I don't understand how exactly sun is damaging? We humans aren't supposed to stay in a cave, are we?
In the same way as sun damages an old painting for instance? It fades. Sunlight fades hair just like sunlight fades everything (Or darkens materials in some cases) And just like with everything else getting faded by the sun, its being broken down by the rays and losing its strength

And the wind? How is it damaging?
If hair gets caught up somewhere or is being brushed against smth because of the wind then it's damaging but usually it's just hair flipping out there on the loose - how is that damaging?
One word: Tangles. That’s just for starters of course, since the friction of hair “flipping out on the loose” will rub against other strands and anything else that gets in its way

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Right, health conditions. I think this is close to stress because illness is a kind of stress. Would also be nice to know how damaging are all those.
Like, I used to towel dry, to comb a lot and sometimes - when I was in a hurry or angry - rip through my hair (yikes), to sleep with my hair loose, wear it down all the time, use SLS shampoo, and my diet was probably not the best in the world. Longest I ever had my hair is bsl - could this be JUST damaging and NOT terminal length?.. Just wondering.

SilvraShadows
October 1st, 2010, 10:07 AM
If you have just begun to change your ways, you'll find out if your hair is at its terminal length... you have gorgeous hair, very lovely at the length it's at.

My son has tighter curls, and he wishes to grow it much longer. But he seems to only reach mid-back. Yet I don't think he is very careful with his hair either...

enfys
October 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Towels are fine is you blot, rather than rubbing. We have members with knee length hair who use towels to help dry every day.
Stress is bad for pretty much everything; hair, body, mind.
Ripping through your hair can cause breakage or pull out hairs or both.
Wearing the hair loose leads to friction and tangling for many.
I use SLS shampoo and cones and have hair past tailbone, as do many othe members here.
Your hair isn't essential; if the body is starved of nutrients it won't prioritise your hair over organs, bones and muscles.

If you think you are at terminal I'd guess it's a false terminal. Do you have any pics you could share?

SilvraShadows
October 1st, 2010, 10:12 AM
Right, health conditions. I think this is close to stress because illness is a kind of stress. Would also be nice to know how damaging are all those.

I'll add this... stress is awful. I might have a health problem on top of it, but I don't handle stress very well at all. I lose handfuls of hair when something awful happens or is about to happen. This has definitely affected the health of my hair... ii/iii to an i.

We all know thyroid problems create havoc, and I tend to think rheumatoid arthritis does too... this I know I have from childhood, and it is sneaking up on me.

xoxophelia
October 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Fine curly hair also tends to bemore fragile because of the shape of the shaft itself. Also, diet was already mentioned but if you aren't getting enough protein it definitely makes a huge difference. When I was vegetarian I would try to eat enough but with my activity levels I just couldn't cut it and my hair became much thinner and looked like it had a greater taper. Except for the older hair on the bottom left over from that, it is obvious I no longer have that issue.

It will take a long time though to see changes. It has been two years for me and it is still a long road from that (it takes awhile for your body to recover so that adds time as well).

bumblebums
October 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Swimming in a chlorinated pool. For some people, salt water can be a problem (although salt water usually comes with sunshine, so we have a confound).

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
So I've been thinking - it's either my hair has really sad terminal length or I am damaging it to the extent where it won't go past bsl. And this got me thinking - how exactly am I damaging it? What ways of damaging hair are out there?
Here's what I came up with:
1. Heat: flat iron, curling iron, blow dry.
2. Chemicals: perm, dye, bleach, hairspray and the styling stuff bunch, SLS, cones.
3. Physical: excessive combing/brushing, rolling on curlers.
4. Pressure: tight hairstyles, clip-ins, extensions, hairtoys.
5. Stuff you insert in your hair that is made of rough material: combs/brushes, hairtoys.
6. Sleeping with your hair loose and tossing too much.
7. Wearing your hair down all the time - it gets caught up in stuff and brushes against stuff.
8. Poor diet.
9. Stress.

EDITED: 10. Sun, wind, health conditions.

Please, help me advance the list!

1. Heat: flat iron, curling iron, blow dry. Can be mitigated by lower heat settings and using a protectant.
2. Chemicals: perm, dye, bleach, hairspray and the styling stuff bunch, SLS, cones. These do not damage hair.
3. Physical: excessive combing/brushing, rolling on curlers. It is how combing and brushing is done, not whether it is done.
4. Pressure: tight hairstyles, clip-ins, extensions, hairtoys. Yes, if the pressure is pulling at the roots or the extensions are put in with an non hair friendly method and hairtoys have rough edges and places that catch and tear hair.
5. Stuff you insert in your hair that is made of rough material: combs/brushes, hairtoys. Yes.
6. Sleeping with your hair loose and tossing too much. No. However, sleeping on rough material can cause friction. I sleep in satin acetate sheets and pillow cases with my hair loose and have no damage.
7. Wearing your hair down all the time - it gets caught up in stuff and brushes against stuff. No. I and others wear hair down all of the time or most of it and it is about being careful, not wearing hair loose.
8. Poor diet. That can contribute to weak hair not damage.
9. Stress. That can cause hair loss not damage.
10. Sun, wind, health conditions. Sun and wind can damage hair. It depends on the amount of exposure. It is called "weathering" in general.
11. Not clarifying or stopping use of a product that builds-up until the build-up is washed out. It can lead to dry, brittle hair.
12. Dull scissors used to trim hair.
13. Razor cuts done improperly. When done properly they are not damaging.
14. Using products with a pH below 3.5 excessively (not diluting vinegar for example)
15. Not reading product directions on conventional chemical processing products and guessing on timing and amounts
16. Twisting hair excessively, creating friction.
17. Roughly towel drying hair. This can damage fragile wet cuticles that tangle causing more mechanical damage from friction.
18. Raking ones hands through one's hair roughly. This can cause the same mechanical damage as abusing combing and brushing.
19. Ripping though a tangle with anything instead of gently separating hair.
20. Not detangling before washing hair and washing hair roughly creating tangles.
21. Not pre-treating before conventional colouring and lightening with coconut and argan oil to help minimize damage from processing
22. Not washing or rinsing hair after swimming in a pool or seawater.

Unnamed
October 1st, 2010, 11:31 AM
On brushing/combing too much or with non-smooth items I'd add that for some individuals even gentle brushing is too damaging. Forget excessive or not done gently, but just brushing period. Every single hair that was long enough to be caught by a brush when I stopped brushing (6 years ago to the day about now!) is *broken*. Every. Single. Hair. And those hairs split. My hair doesn't have any issues with combs, just brushes.

Due to the brush damage my hair is presently shedding out as fast as or a bit faster than it's growing. I first reached 48.5-49" about 2.25-2.5 years ago. It made it (slowly) up to 52" in there, but, erm, lost length. Did have yet another health related shed in there which probably didn't help. *Waits* for damage to all shed out... Mum's hair is essentially at what looks to me to be an artificial terminal around hip to tailbone (varies) due to brushing.

I'd estimate by the taper there that it (the brush damage) thinned my hair by about a third to half, maybe? And it's a faster general taper there, too, of what was/is left. The health (stress, diet, thyroid, and iron...bah, especially those last two!) related sheds have been about 1/4 to 1/2 my hair.

On other things:

I don't think SLS or cones are (ETA: gah, AREN'T...typo) absolutely damaging--and some people's hair is easier to detangle with them and so for some they can actually be a way to minimize damage.

And another reason wind might be damaging beyond tangles and friction on clothing: Ever gotten a wind-burn on your skin? If your hair isn't covered I'd think it might get the same 'burn' (so friction from the wind/air itself).

MClass
October 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM
Wait so you have noticed a change in your hair since you are no longer a vegetarian?
I am a vegetarian myself so I was curious.
I believe I get plenty of protein though as even green veggies contain it....

Fine curly hair also tends to bemore fragile because of the shape of the shaft itself. Also, diet was already mentioned but if you aren't getting enough protein it definitely makes a huge difference. When I was vegetarian I would try to eat enough but with my activity levels I just couldn't cut it and my hair became much thinner and looked like it had a greater taper. Except for the older hair on the bottom left over from that, it is obvious I no longer have that issue.

It will take a long time though to see changes. It has been two years for me and it is still a long road from that (it takes awhile for your body to recover so that adds time as well).

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 11:40 AM
On brushing/combing too much or with non-smooth items I'd add that for some individuals even gentle brushing is too damaging. Forget excessive or not done gently, but just brushing period. Every single hair that was long enough to be caught by a brush when I stopped brushing (6 years ago to the day about now!) is *broken*. Every. Single. Hair. And those hairs split. My hair doesn't have any issues with combs, just brushes.

Due to the brush damage my hair is presently shedding out as fast as or a bit faster than it's growing. I first reached 48.5-49" about 2.25-2.5 years ago. It made it (slowly) up to 52" in there, but, erm, lost length. Did have yet another health related shed in there which probably didn't help. *Waits* for damage to all shed out... Mum's hair is essentially at what looks to me to be an artificial terminal around hip to tailbone (varies) due to brushing.

I'd estimate by the taper there that it (the brush damage) thinned my hair by about a third to half, maybe? And it's a faster general taper there, too, of what was/is left. The health (stress, diet, thyroid, and iron...bah, especially those last two!) related sheds have been about 1/4 to 1/2 my hair.

On other things:

I don't think SLS or cones are absolutely damaging--and some people's hair is easier to detangle with them and so for some they can actually be a way to minimize damage.

And another reason wind might be damaging beyond tangles and friction on clothing: Ever gotten a wind-burn on your skin? If your hair isn't covered I'd think it might get the same 'burn' (so friction from the wind/air itself).

SLS and cones are not damaging. Excessive amounts of just about anything can cause problems. It is about formulations, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/09/debunking-silicone-myth-in-hair-care.html.

SilvraShadows
October 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
I know many who do dye their hair and are just fine with it, healthy and all, but I wasn't the lucky one.

I dyed my hair for nine years and although I had great results... each time I dyed it I would shed volumes. I know it was from the chemical bath playing havoc on my scalp. Plus it would not grow long for me anymore. The herbal hennas I used never caused these problems.

Near the end of those nine years it began breaking off at the roots and was damaged bottom line. I took care of my hair then as well as I do now, but the only difference was the dyes I was using.

For some it is not damaging, but for others (including myself) dye is very damaging.

eta... I misread a post above...

But I wanted to add this, Unnamed has a very good point about brushing. I notice we have the similar hair types too, so perhaps I should put away my brush for a few years and see if there is a turn about. Although I never brush down the length, I only brush my scalp when bending over and I use a MP because I find it gentlest with my hair type.

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
I would have to politely argue that dyes don't damage the hair. I know many who do dye their hair and are just fine with it, healthy and all, but I wasn't the lucky one.

I dyed my hair for nine years and although I had great results... each time I dyed it I would shed volumes. I know it was from the chemical bath playing havoc on my scalp. Plus it would not grow long for me anymore. The herbal hennas I used never caused these problems.

Near the end of those nine years it began breaking off at the roots and was damaged bottom line. I took care of my hair then as well as I do now, but the only difference was the dyes I was using.

For some it is not damaging, but for others (including myself) dye is very damaging.

Dye with peroxide is damaging. However, some people have hair that can withstand more damage than others, http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip8888001.htm.

It also depends on the dye and method of application and timing.

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
Do you have any pics you could share?
Length now:
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dscn4125tr_1.jpg?w=250
But it shrinks a lot:
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/dscn3926tr_1.jpg?w=250
Longest ever (a year ago, I trimmed it quite a couple of times since but now it's about the same length or just a tad shorter):
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_1276e_1.jpg?w=250

I lose handfuls of hair when something awful happens.
Don't be stressed! I don't seem to loose any extra hair when I'm stressed...

8. Poor diet. That can contribute to weak hair not damage.
Isn't weak hair prone to damage? Technically, sure, diet is not damaging hair, but it's a damaging practice - to eat poorly. That kinda thing.

Ever gotten a wind-burn on your skin?
Erm, no? What is that? o.O

Wait so you have noticed a change in your hair since you are no longer a vegetarian?
I am a vegetarian myself so I was curious.
I believe I get plenty of protein though as even green veggies contain it....
That's what she said... Maybe I should eat more meat then...

SilvraShadows
October 1st, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ah! ktani, you are too fast... I change my post! :o

angelfell
October 1st, 2010, 12:05 PM
There's a LOT of things, which is why it is so important to try to take good care of the hair :). This kind of falls under sun but tanning beds will do the trick, unfortunately for me :(

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Length now:
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dscn4125tr_1.jpg?w=250
But it shrinks a lot:
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/dscn3926tr_1.jpg?w=250
Longest ever (a year ago, I trimmed it quite a couple of times since but now it's about the same length or just a tad shorter):
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/img_1276e_1.jpg?w=250

Don't be stressed! I don't seem to loose any extra hair when I'm stressed...

Isn't weak hair prone to damage? Technically, sure, diet is not damaging hair, but it's a damaging practice - to eat poorly. That kinda thing.

Erm, no? What is that? o.O

That's what she said... Maybe I should eat more meat then...

Weak hair would definitely be more easily damaged, yes.

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Ah! ktani, you are too fast... I change my post! :o

I get where you are coming from. Some people seem to have indestructible hair. That is mostly a blessing of genetics. Good hair care takes care of the rest.

little_cherry
October 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
Using rubber bands on hair and ripping them out.

Ripping braids out instead of taking them out slowly.

I agree that cones and sulfates aren't damaging to the hair. There are many sulfate and cone users here with beautiful hair.

mariika
October 1st, 2010, 12:16 PM
I don't understand, why then SLS shampoo is bad? (If SLS isn't damaging? Isn't SLS a way too strong cleansing element? Doesn't it rob hair of its natural coating?)

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
I don't understand, why then SLS shampoo is bad? (If SLS isn't damaging? Isn't SLS a way too strong cleansing element? Doesn't it rob hair of its natural coating?)

It depends on how much is used in a shampoo. There are equally harsh cleansers in non sulfate shampoos. It is about how a shampoo is formulated.

Few shampoos these days use SLS as the main cleanser. It is known to be an irritant and it can be drying. Non sulfate shampoos can be both irritating and drying too. That is not the same as damaging hair. As for SLS denaturing protein, soap does and any detergent natural or not can too. Sulfates are not evil. That is hype.

Can sulfate shampoo break hair? (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/06/myth-or-fact-sulfate-shampoo-breaks.html)
"Cuticle wear is more related to hair care practices than SLS use."

Unnamed
October 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM
SLS and cones are not damaging. Excessive amounts of just about anything can cause problems. It is about formulations, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/09/debunking-silicone-myth-in-hair-care.html.

Ugg, that was supposed to be 'aren't' instead of 'are'....let me go fix that... And now I wish I could do this, soo sick from messing so horribly...ugg. :puke:

The only reason I can see them being damaging would be for those who shed more with sulfate shampoos or break out from certain ingredients, but that's more in with health issues as far as I'm concerned.

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Ugg, that was supposed to be 'aren't' instead of 'are'....let me go fix that... And now I wish I could do this, soo sick from messing so horribly...ugg. :puke:

The only reason I can see them being damaging would be for those who shed more with sulfate shampoos or break out from certain ingredients, but that's more in with health issues as far as I'm concerned.

I think that is a two fold issue: 1. formulation 2. sensitivity or allergic reaction. That to me is still not damage.

Health issues (thyroid for example) would apply to using any product.

Unnamed
October 1st, 2010, 01:11 PM
I think that is a two fold issue: 1. formulation 2. sensitivity or allergic reaction. That to me is still not damage.

Health issues (thyroid for example) would apply to using any product.

As I posted, I said they aren't (that is they are NOT) damaging in and of themselves.

The other was mentioned in the sense that the OP was also asking about, which includes other types of 'damage'--not necessarily physical damage that might cause breakage, but also 'damage' in the sense that it might thin the length in other ways, including causing one's hair to be thinner to start with or cause periodic or extra shedding. I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't have tried to be clearer.

Anje
October 1st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I would argue that anything that dries hair out significantly predisposes it to damage, even if dryness itself is fixable. The hair loses elasticity and flexibility, may tangle more, and breaks more readily when handled.

Therefore, some of these things, like SLS, cones, proteins, humectants, etc. can cause hair to become dry more easily for some people, which in turn sets their hair up for damage. The only other specific harm I can think that silicones cause is that they encourage fairy knots in a lot of people, and the kinking of the knot weakens the hair and causes it to snag other hairs.

I suspect that a lot of people avoid SLS because they find it harsh on their scalps, not so much their hair. Detergents, especially if the shampoo is too concentrated for the person's cleasing needs, can be drying and irritating. In my case, regular shampooing seems to lead to an oilier scalp. Other people get itchy or scabby scalps when using SLS. Other people require SLS to prevent scalp conditions.

Anje
October 1st, 2010, 01:34 PM
I guess I would class damage sources something like this:

Chemical (bleach, peroxide, ammonia, chlorine, etc.)
Heat
Radiation (UV as the prime example -- weakens fabrics and hair over time. Gamma's not good for follicles, either, but if you're exposed to gamma radiation, you have other things to worry about.)
Illness and nutrient deficiency (usually cause weaking of the hair when it grows, or hair loss. I'll include medication side-effects in this category.)
Tension (leading to traction alopecia, for example)
Mechanical (this is a big list... Hair ties that are rough or rub the same place constantly, harsh toweling, rubbing on non-slippery pillows, chairs, backcombing, excessive friction from anything, sharp hair tools -- all damage the length. Blunt scissors and razors damage the ends. Cats that chew on braid tassels!)
Tangle-associated (another big list. Anything applied to hair that causes it to tangle more goes here, including products that are drying to your individual hair. So does wearing hair loose, windy days, washing by piling hair on head, etc. Some amount of this can be mitigated by careful detangling, but ultimately, I believe that tangled hair gets funny bends and weak points in it, causes more tangles, then eventually breaks. So preventing tangles is central.)

enfys
October 1st, 2010, 02:08 PM

I don't know why this tickled me so much, but I think it's because I can imagine an irradiated LHCer being concerned about what it would do to their hair first and foremost :lol:

Marriika, thanks for posting those pics. You are way to curly for me to recognise if you are at a genuine terminal or a damage one, but hopefully a curly expert can come along to help. From what you have said I would guess damage is a culprit, which is great news for you. You have amazing boingy curls too!

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 02:19 PM
As I posted, I said they aren't (that is they are NOT) damaging in and of themselves.

The other was mentioned in the sense that the OP was also asking about, which includes other types of 'damage'--not necessarily physical damage that might cause breakage, but also 'damage' in the sense that it might thin the length in other ways, including causing one's hair to be thinner to start with or cause periodic or extra shedding. I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't have tried to be clearer.

No worries. I often struggle to make things clearer. I will reread a post of mine and go "What was I saying?" lol. It happens.

Yes, certain things can predispose hair to damage. Hair is damaged according to some sources, every time it is touched. It depends on how damage is being defined.

bumblebums
October 1st, 2010, 02:21 PM
I don't know why this tickled me so much, but I think it's because I can imagine an irradiated LHCer being concerned about what it would do to their hair first and foremost :lol:

Marriika, thanks for posting those pics. You are way to curly for me to recognise if you are at a genuine terminal or a damage one, but hopefully a curly expert can come along to help. From what you have said I would guess damage is a culprit, which is great news for you. You have amazing boingy curls too!

It's really hard to know at this point. If you absolutely baby your hair for several years, don't cut it except to cut off splits, and it stays at the same length still, then we can talk again about terminal length. Taper is not necessarily evidence of it, contrary to popular opinion. Have a look here:

http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html

ktani
October 1st, 2010, 02:25 PM
I would argue that anything that dries hair out significantly predisposes it to damage, even if dryness itself is fixable. The hair loses elasticity and flexibility, may tangle more, and breaks more readily when handled.

Therefore, some of these things, like SLS, cones, proteins, humectants, etc. can cause hair to become dry more easily for some people, which in turn sets their hair up for damage. The only other specific harm I can think that silicones cause is that they encourage fairy knots in a lot of people, and the kinking of the knot weakens the hair and causes it to snag other hairs.

I suspect that a lot of people avoid SLS because they find it harsh on their scalps, not so much their hair. Detergents, especially if the shampoo is too concentrated for the person's cleasing needs, can be drying and irritating. In my case, regular shampooing seems to lead to an oilier scalp. Other people get itchy or scabby scalps when using SLS. Other people require SLS to prevent scalp conditions.

I have had fairy knots with and without cones. Cones are not damaging in and of themselves. There is nothing in research literature I have found to back that up, nor regarding SLS.

IcarusBride
October 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM
I'm convinced that the dead skin on my scalp that is difficult to ex-foliate somehow prevents my hair from growing. However I think this is a phobia, not the truth!

Qwackie
October 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Combing while wet. I do that a lot. D:

JenniferNoel
October 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Here's what kills my hair pretty bad.
-Wet combing
-Buildup (things get a little snappy)
-Curious, hungry cats
-The microwave (what I mean is, my hair can't tolerate heat)

Dragon
October 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Ironing it.

ScarlettAdelle
October 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Excluding things that have already been said:
Dreadlocking, tight braiding, extenstions (even keratinized ones), excessive protein/strength treatments, teasing with hairspray already in *cringe*, pulling while drying or wet, sharp edges on tools/toys,

The one I'm guilty of:
My dog deciding she's going to wait 'till I fall asleep and rolling/biting/licking in my hair... It hurts me as well as my hair, even if it is adorable

Igor
October 1st, 2010, 09:06 PM
I'm convinced that the dead skin on my scalp that is difficult to ex-foliate somehow prevents my hair from growing. However I think this is a phobia, not the truth!

Yea, I’m pretty sure all skin has a layer of dead cells to protect it from losing moisture

mariika
October 2nd, 2010, 07:35 AM
Therefore, some of these things, like SLS, cones, proteins, humectants, etc. can cause hair to become dry more easily for some people, which in turn sets their hair up for damage.
YES, that is what I was talking about!

I suspect that a lot of people avoid SLS because they find it harsh on their scalps, not so much their hair.
SLS makes my hair very dry, nothing about scalp though.

but if you're exposed to gamma radiation, you have other things to worry about
RIGHT :alien::radar::face:

LOL :D

Thanks! My hair is a tad past or around bsl when wet, technically it's around 60 cms which makes it on the smaller margin of human hair length - its between 60 and 120 cms. So I could very well have reached my terminal length :(

It's really hard to know at this point. If you absolutely baby your hair for several years, don't cut it except to cut off splits, and it stays at the same length still, then we can talk again about terminal length. Taper is not necessarily evidence of it, contrary to popular opinion. Have a look here:

http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html
Thanks for the link, I liked that article. I agree that it's difficult to say now but when I was in my early teens (before my first chop at the age of 15) I NEVER had my hair cut or trimmed on a regular basis, only once every so often. And it never went past apl... Some food for thought.

Combing while wet. I do that a lot. D:
That's superdamaging!

-Curious, hungry cats
That's serious:))))))

Ironing it.
Especially using a real iron :D

excessive protein/strength treatments
Yes, much easily gets too much.

teasing with hairspray already in *cringe*
CRINGE:tmi::brains: