PDA

View Full Version : Bright colours for grey hair !

slz
October 1st, 2010, 06:15 AM
I thought about asking about it a few days ago then forgot about it somehow, then Spidermom on the rainbow hair thread reminded me : I wonder about bright - unatural (green, blue and the like) colours on greying hair. When, as in, at what %age of white, will it start to look good ? I was doing a root touchup last sunday when I thought it would be lots of fun to dye them green instead. I can't exactly tell my white %age since I dye, seeing the roots only isn't very telling. Also, it's only let's say the upper half of my hair that's greying, so basically it would be green on top, dark brown underneath ... no idea what it'd look like. Maybe it would look somehow "dirty" if you don't have enough white ?

Any of you salt n pepper people ever tried it ?

Anje
October 1st, 2010, 07:23 AM
I've always wanted to see someone with black, graying hair reach for the wild hair dyes, so they have what appears to be their normal colored hair, but with green/blue/pink/? streaks in it under closer inspection.

I'm less sure it would work with lighter hair colors, simply because dyeing brown hair green to highlight the grays would give a very strange overall color. If a person had sections of gray, though.... :)

Maybe I'll be able to convince my brother to do this in 10-15 years!

akka naeda
October 1st, 2010, 07:36 AM
I tried dying my streak purple and the colour didn't fix, came out everywhere and only lasted 1-2 weeks I think. I had the same problem with my brown hair - it needed to be bleached to get the colour to stay.
It's something I'd like to do - dye the whole lot:), but I'm also worried that the colour might stain, leaving the presently bright white hairs a murky grey.

Recently though, I saw a lady with pixie S&P hair with brightly coloured bits (strands, streaks?), and a few years ago I saw someone with totally white brightly coloured hair. You can tell, there's a difference between them and the bleached hair that younger people have. I think the colour intensity isn't quite so extreme.

Having typed this I'm seriously considering getting my blue and green dye out.........

Gabriel
October 1st, 2010, 08:58 AM
I knew someone who had what seemed to be her natural grey/white hair coloured green. The rest of her hair was black and just these strands were a deep forest green. They weren't like highlights or streaks either. It was actually throughout her head, a strand here and there.

Very subtle and delicate but still impressive. The green was very pigmented, so it wasn't a murky green.

I keep thinking I'd like to try that somehow, now that I've been getting more grey/white hair.

KittyLost
October 1st, 2010, 09:03 AM
There is an older lady who comes into my work and asks me where I buy my unnatural colour hair dye from because she is getting bored of dying her whites purple!

She has like shoulder length grey hair with streaks of white which she gets her daughter to do purple :)

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
I dyed my hair with Punky Rose-Red this past spring, and the color gradually faded out over about 6-8 weeks. I still have the faintest trace of pink in my lower length. It was a lot of fun, the product was conditioning, and I will definitely do it again sometime.

(if you haven't seen, the results are in one of my albums)

NotLostYet
October 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM
The purple I did a couple days ago didn't take very much on my handful of gray hairs. It took really well on the last tiny vestiges of bleached hair (to be really vibrant blue-violet), and gave my virgin hair a violet cast. Inside it mostly just looks a little darker, but out in the sun is when it looks really purple.

It may not have taken very well on the gray hairs because I didn't use the dye straight - I diluted it with conditioner so that it wouldn't be so strong on the 99% that isn't gray yet :D

I have a couple natural white streaks that I've had since I was a teenager and they took the dye really well and much darker than the grays - no idea why the difference. My grays look like really bright, slightly lavendar highlights now - but then, they are only a few inches long :D

I'm waiting til the weekend to take some pictures (outside and inside) to put up. Hopefully by then the residue will have washed out and it will be more how it is going to look for the next ~3 months.

slz
October 1st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Yes spidermom I had seen your pink dye - beautiful and exactly the kind of thing I'd like - however it seems to me that your hair (not including white) is quite light, right ? Maybe not blonde, but lighter than mine, light-middle brown at most ?
If I were doing another job I'd just go ahead and dye my roots green from now on. I wouldn't mind about the two toned and such, it'd be interesting to have half green / half auburnish dark brown after a while .... maybe not, but I'd love to try anyway :D. Or maybe I'll try next time I'm on holiday, to get an idea of what it'd look like, just with 1 or 2 months worth of roots. And then back to henndigo before going back to work >< .
NotLostYet : yes please take pics !!

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM
My hair color used to be a mid-range (not dark) golden blonde shade. Now it has so much silver and white that the overall effect is much lighter. I was pleased by how well it took the dye. My white hairs were blazing magenta at first.

sherigayle
October 1st, 2010, 01:26 PM
I've done purple and pink on my white hairs and it comes out great. If you don't use a harsh shampoo the color will last a pretty long time. I've have pics in my album.

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 01:31 PM
I've done purple and pink on my white hairs and it comes out great. If you don't use a harsh shampoo the color will last a pretty long time. I've have pics in my album.

Nice pictures.

I heard some DJs talking on the radio recently, and they were talking about "ridiculous" colors on hair, and one of them said "If your age does not end in the word "teen", then you have no business dyeing your hair anything but a natural color, and even then be careful. Husbands don't like change. If a man marries a blonde, it's because he wants to be with a blonde. So leave your hair color alone!"

I laughed. I think my husband would agree. But I hate to miss out on having a little fun.

NotLostYet
October 1st, 2010, 02:55 PM
Nice pictures.

I heard some DJs talking on the radio recently, and they were talking about "ridiculous" colors on hair, and one of them said "If your age does not end in the word "teen", then you have no business dyeing your hair anything but a natural color, and even then be careful. Husbands don't like change. If a man marries a blonde, it's because he wants to be with a blonde. So leave your hair color alone!"

I laughed. I think my husband would agree. But I hate to miss out on having a little fun.

Wow, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. My husband loved when he saw my now-purple hair, but then my husband married me not my hair ;)

Actually, I used to live in a city where it was pretty common for women who were turning salt'n'pepper to get magenta 'highlights' through their hair as a way of doing something fun without trying to cover the gray. The idea was that they had earned the right to a little frivolous hair :D

luxepiggy
January 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I am SO going to do this when I start to go grey. What a great idea. It'll be like built-in hair tinsel!! (^(oo)^)v

iverson
December 21st, 2015, 10:09 AM
Hello,I registered on this forum to view the galleries for users who put bright colors on grey hair, but I don't have permission. Please give me permission :3

Entangled
December 21st, 2015, 10:18 AM
Hello,I registered on this forum to view the galleries for users who put bright colors on grey hair, but I don't have permission. Please give me permission :3

You have to have twenty five quality posts before you can view albums.

Sterlyn
December 21st, 2015, 10:24 AM
Hi Iverson Welcome to the forum :)

I am the only person on this forum that I can think of that is currently using crazy colors on naturally silver/white hair at least that I've seen pics posted anyway. I posted most of the pics on these 2 threads. You'll have to page through the other posts to find my pics.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938&page=9&p=3139793#post3139793 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938&page=9&p=3139793#post3139793)

and here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=133676

Since these are on a thread and not my albums should you should be able to see them. Hope that helps.

Anje
December 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM

You have to have twenty five quality posts before you can view albums.

As a moderator, this. Permission to view public albums comes after 25 posts pending administrative approval. Private albums are only viewable by the friends that user has specified.

iverson
December 21st, 2015, 11:58 PM
Oh, I see. Thank you very much, Sterlyn! I have checked those threads and I was shocked of your hair it's so beautiful! So it means that the bright part of my hair getting white is that I can dye it without bleaching in bright colors ^_^

Sterlyn
December 22nd, 2015, 07:34 PM
Oh, I see. Thank you very much, Sterlyn! I have checked those threads and I was shocked of your hair it's so beautiful! So it means that the bright part of my hair getting white is that I can dye it without bleaching in bright colors ^_^

Your welcome :)

lunasea
December 22nd, 2015, 08:06 PM
As a moderator, this. Permission to view public albums comes after 25 posts pending administrative approval. Private albums are only viewable by the friends that user has specified.

I'm confused, I have way more than 25 posts but still don't see any albums. Maybe they're all private or do I have to ask for administrative approval?

Entangled
December 22nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
I'm confused, I have way more than 25 posts but still don't see any albums. Maybe they're all private or do I have to ask for administrative approval?

It's possible, since the thread was from 2010, that the albums in question may have been deleted.

lunasea
December 22nd, 2015, 08:50 PM
Ah DUH! Didn't look at the dates. Thank you! I was hoping to see pics since my hair is starting to gray...

Entangled
December 23rd, 2015, 08:07 AM
Ah DUH! Didn't look at the dates. Thank you! I was hoping to see pics since my hair is starting to gray...

No problem! I thought it would be neat, too. When my hair greys, I'd love to use bright colors.