PDA

View Full Version : Feel Like a Failure

AuntyClaus
September 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Went from 37" to 29" this month. Went to the Beauty School to get a trim, and was only contemplating 4" or so, just to get the damaged ends off.

Well, I made the mistake of telling the girl I wanted a "blunt cut--no taper", meaning in my mind that I didn't want her going ape and tapering my hair for me. She thought I meant I wanted the natural taper gone, so she cut it up to where it began tapering.

I hate losing my length (over a year's worth!), but I do like having a braid that's pretty much the same thickness to the end. And I do love the smooth feeling the cut ends have. Haven't had that since 2005.

In the meantime, I'm babying this with catnip tea soaks, and maybe the next 8" won't taper quite so drastically.

And maybe, I'll trust somebody to do the occasional half-inch trims if I can find the correct verbiage so they don't scalp me to 1/2" hair!

TinaDenali
September 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Oh, I feel for you!!

But, as you said - what a nice hemline you have now! I bet your ends look amazing and your braids look gorgeous!

I always tell myself when I get discouraged: hair grows :D

Dragon
September 30th, 2010, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry that happend? At least your hair is healthier now. You are coping better then I would have.

leslissocool
September 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM
OH no! that's horrible... But I have to agree that your hair will be healthier now... And it can give you a good start for the years to come! so much more thick in the ends... post some pictures!

AuntyClaus
September 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you all. :)

I think the main gripe was I wanted to find out my terminal length before I went to weed-whacking it. At 51, your terminals can be a lot shorter than they were at 16.

Then again, 37" was longer than it's ever been before in my life, so if that's it, then that's okay too. In the scheme of things, it's not as bad as a root canal.

I'll have to get some pics up sometime. Won't be tonight, though. Am imbibing. :D

Jessica Trapp
September 30th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Yow! That's quite a jump. Glad your hair feels healthier though.

hugs,
jes

Deborah
October 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
YOU are not a failure. Your hairdresser is! That is a different thing altogether.

I'm glad that your hair looks and feels better. She may have ACCIDENTALLY done a good thing for you. (No kudos to her, only to you for your patience and grace!) Good for you. :flower:

pepperminttea
October 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
Cripes, that must've been quite a shock! Glad that you don't mind the benefits too much though; and worst comes to worst, the old adage is still true - it will eventually grow back. :flower:

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 12:36 PM
Going by what you report that you said, I can see how the stylist misinterpreted. Losing that much length at once must have been a huge shock. Here's wishing you a super-fast, OMG-I-can't-believe-it growth spurt :magic:

2peasinapod
October 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. As Deborah said, you are not the failure; the hairdresser should have confirmed that you meant what she thought you did.

I'm glad you're happy with your hemline, and I hope your hair grows back really fast. :flower:

PrincessBob
October 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
I love that you are keeping a positive outlook on the current condition of the ends, now apply that positive outlook to yourself. You've already go a plan of how to deal with your hair for the next year! that's awesome. Me,I'm thinking about what hairstyle I should do today and if I want to wash yet. Practice some of those harder-to-do-on-longer-length-hair updos, there are plenty to choose from!

Sammich
October 1st, 2010, 01:16 PM
Going by what you report that you said, I can see how the stylist misinterpreted. Losing that much length at once must have been a huge shock. Here's wishing you a super-fast, OMG-I-can't-believe-it growth spurt :magic:
I agree.

At least your hair is very healthy now! ;) Woo! XD

Carolyn
October 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
It sounds like there should have been more discussion to exactly what you wanted done. But I agree with SM where she said she could see how there was a miscommunication. It's not all bad and it could be worse. You've said you like your new thicker hemline and no braid taper. Take really good care and baby your hair from now on. Small, more frequent trims should help too.