PDA

View Full Version : Questions for fine/thin hair people

wahmof9
September 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM
What are your all time favorite products?

Favorite routine?

I am fined haired and I have tried tons of products. Many recommendations here do not work for people with fine/thin hair so instead of reinventing the wheel....I decided to ask for what works. And what does not work?

phistash
September 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
My hair is not fine, but it is technically thin (I say technically because it doesn't look thin, and people often say that my hair is "big"). I also have a very oily scalp, so the CWC (condition-wash-condition) method works really well for me. I apply conditioner to the bottom half of my hair, let it sit a minute or two, then, without rinsing it out, apply shampoo to my roots. I rinse everything out and reapply the conditioner to my ends, letting it sit again. Rinse.

This helps keeps my hair soft, without weighing down my roots, which get greasy within two days. I use all-natural shampoos, and switch types/brands every few weeks, to avoid buildup. I oil my ends overnight once every week or so.

I've found that wearing my hair up in a Ficcare clip or in a bun on the day that I wash keeps it much cleaner than when it is down (seriously- when down, my hair gets very dirty). That way, I can wear it down on the second day, and either up again or wrapped on the third day. If I wear it up 2 days in a row, then on the third day, it might be clean enough to wear down.

I'm planning on getting a satin or silk pillowcase, as I have problems with breakage, and I'm trying to eliminate that. I've also stopped using hair elastics of any sort, as they inevitably tangle in my hair and cause breakage.

So: learn how to be gentle with your hair. There is a lot of advice on these boards on using wide-tooth combs with no seams, braiding, and other ways of protecting your hair. Good luck, and remember that everyone is different, so you may have to try several things before you find a routine that works for you.

Lisa R
September 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I have fine and thin-medium type hair. My hair really likes cones and sulphates. I have recently started using Jojoba oil and my hair really loves it. The day before I want to wash my hair I lather it in Jojoba oil and put it up all day and when I wash it the next day it feels so nice and soft and healthy. For my shampoo and condioner I used to use Pantene Colour therapy cause it was really moisturising for my hair even though my hair wasn't coloured. I have now swapped to Garnier Fructus Triple Nourishment (Triple Nutrition). My hair really likes it.

I used to trim regularly but have restrained myself to trim only once this year. My next trim will be in Feb next year. I generally keep my hair up everyday cause when I do have it down I get the urge to trim it! I thought my hair grew pretty slow but now that I'm not cutting it every few months I have seen so much growth already.

It can be hard being a fine haired, thin haired person. I watch a few of our other LHC members hair tutorials and see their lovely thick hair and wish that was mine but unfortunately I'll never have thick hair like that. I am slowly accepting my hair for what it is and finding nice styles for it.

Hope some of this info has helped somewhat?!

Kirin
September 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I have fine thin hair that gets oily very very quickly, and I find that much of the advice on the community boards just was not for me. One must be presentable after all, and you can't hide oil or, as I call it, "the unwashed crust" with thin hair.

Here's what works for me:

Any shampoo where the detergent is Cocobetaine, which is a non sulphate detergent. You can find a lot of these in ethnic hair supply stores. I found one recently, a baby shampoo, called "baby don't bald". Its the best simplest shampoo I've ever used, and I do NOT need conditioner with it. I use it daily.

Afterward I will use "Africa's Best" leave in conditioner, just a bit, or some aloe vera gel to give some body. A comb, and thats about it. Occassionally I use velcro rollers for fancy occassions.

Jessica Trapp
September 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I CWC approximately twice a week. I use Nioxin shampoo and a variety of conditioners. My hair loves cones, but proteins make it dry and brittle. I use Paul Mitchell's The Detangler as a leave-in. I don't brush--have a mason pearson comb that I *love.* I don't blow dry, but occasionally use hot rollers. I wear a sleep cap.

:) jes

MsBubbles
September 30th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Totally baby fine hair here (and not in a good way). Some thoughts:

- Coconut oil is a big no-no. It's too heavy and pulls my hair out.
- Stretching washes beyond 48 hours is a big oil spill. Scalp washes fix that without drying out my ends.
- Cones are great. No cones was a disaster.
- Camellia oil works well...it's very lightweight. I can dilute w/water and spray it on to my ends and not end up with rats' tails.
- Rainwater turns my hair to grease
- Updos work better on 2nd day hair. Freshly-washed hair is just too flyaway.

wahmof9
October 1st, 2010, 01:27 AM
My hair is not fine, but it is technically thin (I say technically because it doesn't look thin, and people often say that my hair is "big"). I also have a very oily scalp, so the CWC (condition-wash-condition) method works really well for me. I apply conditioner to the bottom half of my hair, let it sit a minute or two, then, without rinsing it out, apply shampoo to my roots. I rinse everything out and reapply the conditioner to my ends, letting it sit again. Rinse.

This helps keeps my hair soft, without weighing down my roots, which get greasy within two days. I use all-natural shampoos, and switch types/brands every few weeks, to avoid buildup. I oil my ends overnight once every week or so.

I've found that wearing my hair up in a Ficcare clip or in a bun on the day that I wash keeps it much cleaner than when it is down (seriously- when down, my hair gets very dirty). That way, I can wear it down on the second day, and either up again or wrapped on the third day. If I wear it up 2 days in a row, then on the third day, it might be clean enough to wear down.

I'm planning on getting a satin or silk pillowcase, as I have problems with breakage, and I'm trying to eliminate that. I've also stopped using hair elastics of any sort, as they inevitably tangle in my hair and cause breakage.

So: learn how to be gentle with your hair. There is a lot of advice on these boards on using wide-tooth combs with no seams, braiding, and other ways of protecting your hair. Good luck, and remember that everyone is different, so you may have to try several things before you find a routine that works for you.

What products do you like?

wahmof9
October 1st, 2010, 01:29 AM
I have fine and thin-medium type hair. My hair really likes cones and sulphates. I have recently started using Jojoba oil and my hair really loves it. The day before I want to wash my hair I lather it in Jojoba oil and put it up all day and when I wash it the next day it feels so nice and soft and healthy. For my shampoo and condioner I used to use Pantene Colour therapy cause it was really moisturising for my hair even though my hair wasn't coloured. I have now swapped to Garnier Fructus Triple Nourishment (Triple Nutrition). My hair really likes it.

I used to trim regularly but have restrained myself to trim only once this year. My next trim will be in Feb next year. I generally keep my hair up everyday cause when I do have it down I get the urge to trim it! I thought my hair grew pretty slow but now that I'm not cutting it every few months I have seen so much growth already.

It can be hard being a fine haired, thin haired person. I watch a few of our other LHC members hair tutorials and see their lovely thick hair and wish that was mine but unfortunately I'll never have thick hair like that. I am slowly accepting my hair for what it is and finding nice styles for it.

Hope some of this info has helped somewhat?!
Very thank you!

Do your ends get dry?

wahmof9
October 1st, 2010, 01:31 AM
Totally baby fine hair here (and not in a good way). Some thoughts:

- Coconut oil is a big no-no. It's too heavy and pulls my hair out.
- Stretching washes beyond 48 hours is a big oil spill. Scalp washes fix that without drying out my ends.
- Cones are great. No cones was a disaster.
- Camellia oil works well...it's very lightweight. I can dilute w/water and spray it on to my ends and not end up with rats' tails.
- Rainwater turns my hair to grease
- Updos work better on 2nd day hair. Freshly-washed hair is just too flyaway.
Your hair is beautiful and I pray mine can grow that long...what are your favorite shampoos and such?

FrannyG
October 1st, 2010, 03:07 AM
My hair is extremely fine. What works for me is as a routine is COing with Suave Naturals conditioners, using a very diluted ACV rinse as the last step before I get out of a shower, and then using just a couple of drops of jojoba oil on my ends.

I make sure to wear my hair up on top of my head when I go to bed, and I swear by a satin pillowcase.

I deep oil with coconut oil from time to time before COing, and it works well for me. However, coconut oil is far too heavy for me to use as a daily oil.

I need to CO every 2-3 days, because my hair is far too fine to properly handle scalp oils.

I never comb my hair until it's dry. I may finger comb my hair when it's just about dry.

Hope something in there helps.

Dolly
October 1st, 2010, 06:00 AM
Baby fine here.....called "cat hair" by one of my stylists.....

I use CV shampoo bars, which seem to "pump up" the hair shaft, for lack of a better word.....makes the strands feel thicker and have more texture. I follow with a coney conditioner ( love Tresseme) and then a white vinegar rinse.....I clarify as needed, which lately has been about every 2-3 weeks.....

I do at least a scalp wash daily because I work out daily and sweat A LOT. I do a deep overnight oiling with coconut oil 1-2 times per week.....

Quahatundightu
October 1st, 2010, 06:41 AM
Very very fine hair for me...

I am a wurly so I am always trying to get my hair to go a bit curlier...

I do mostly WC or CWC with very occasional CO (I switch around all the time, my hair seems to like change) I mix cones and non-cones. Mostly my conditioner is non-cone.

I use catnip once or twice a week - absolutely love the stuff, it makes my hair stronger and shinier as well as moisturised without being greasy. If there was one thing I would recommend that you try, it would be catnip!

The only oil I can use is Jojoba, I put a teeny tiny bit on my ends every now and then

MsBubbles
October 1st, 2010, 06:41 AM
Your hair is beautiful and I pray mine can grow that long...what are your favorite shampoos and such?

Thanks! It's a bit gnarly on the ends though and I'm growing out highlights/peroxide. I use a very diluted Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying shampoo most days. Once every 2 weeks I use an outright clarifying paint-stripper type drugstore shampoo to get it really clean if it's particularly greasy.

Still looking for the perfect conditioner! Until now I was using Sunsilk Hydra TLC but they changed it all and now I can't find it. I also used to use the Giovanni 50-50 hydrating conditioner when going no-cones, but now I can't find any of that, either!! Grrr.

Going to try some Biolage Conditioning balm next because so many people here rave about it. I like to use a coney serum if using a cone-free conditioner. Can't get a comb through my hair otherwise.

SMTs work really well.

phistash
October 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM
What products do you like?

I use Mane n' Tail conditioner, but that has a lot of protein, and many people don't like it. It works for my hair, though. I switch to a Burt's Bees conditioner when the protein buildup gets too much even for my hair. For shampoo, I alternate between two different types of Burt's Bees, and Yes to Carrots. I've tried all sorts of homemade recipes, including beer rinses, lavendar concoctions, and so on, but my hair grease is tough, and I simply can't get it clean without using shampoo. I don't necessarily need cones, though.

I can clean with baking soda (diluted in water), that works very well to clarify, and remove any product buildup. However, if I use baking soda, it is essential to counteract it with a vinegar rinse. I've found that if I boil water, and pour that over a tablespoon of honey to dissolve it, and then add that to diluted vinegar, it works very well as a conditioner. I do this baking soda/vinegar with honey routine once every couple of months, but it is a bit of extra work, so sometimes I am lazy.

I don't use any leave-in products.

You are getting some highly varied responses! For instance, using conditioner only or water only doesn't work for me at all. Shampoo bars also don't work for me. Good luck figuring out a routine. It took me ages.

Denebi
October 1st, 2010, 06:53 AM
- I use normal shampoo and moisture conditioners. I tried different natural cosmetics shampoos, but I seem to get buildup from it and greasy hair. Cones don't work on my head that good, too, the hair gets greasy very fast.

- after washing I put my hair in an updo to keep it save while drying. After a while I open the updo, do some gentle finger combing and put it back in an updo. When it is more or less dry, I comb it with a tangle teezer. It's the most gentle tool I ever used for combing (and I tried a lot!)

- When I wear my hair open, it's a bit flyaway, tangly and gets greasy fast. I like camelia oil, but also coconut oil. However, I don't use the coconut when I wear them open, I use it only for braids or updos.

wahmof9
October 1st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks ladies for all that great input...I am taking notes :)

Silver Strands
October 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
My hair seems to do better with cones. It might have to do with the fact that i'm older and hormones make the hair drier and more frizzy.

But I also like natural products. They make my hair soft but if the humidity gets too high poof and frizz will appear. Plus i'll have more snarls.

My favorite products are Garnier Fructis Length and Strength shampoo & condtioner (super thick), and Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter shampoo & condtioner. (Soft and silky and super cheap).
I like to use a drop or 2 of jojoba oil and a drop of conditioner mixed with about a half teaspoon of water as a leave in.

I CO occasionally to stretch out CWC or SC.
I usually wash every other day. I f I CO wash in between I will CWC/SC once or twice a week.

I find I get build-up quicker from oils, butters,etc. and rarely from cones.
Plus it's much easier combing when using cones.
I could run my fingers through my hair a dozen times with a cone free product and get a tangle every time.
With cones, I comb less and I don't have to keep messing with my hair. It stays tangle free and looking good all day.

MClass
October 1st, 2010, 12:04 PM
My hair is soooooo THIN that a lot of things on these boards do not apply to me as well :mad:

Add that to the fact that I am growing out my color and going natural and it is simply a disaster.

Wearing my hair back everyday is not an option for me, I need my hair to hide my chins and acne scars!

I have to wash my hair everyday because it gets oily, unless I am doing a hair back on day 2.

Sorry I didnt offer any help did I? But it is just nice to know other people understant my constant frustration!

Drarra
October 1st, 2010, 03:52 PM
I'm another person with baby fine hair.

Like many others here have mentioned, I have trouble stretching my washes because my scalp gets so greasy. I stretched to every other day using dry shampoo, which I LOVE.

I like coconut oil (although I can't say I love it) as a pre-wash oil treatment. Once a week is really enough, otherwise my hair gets limp. I can't use it as a leave-in; it's simply too heavy for my hair (ditto with olive oil). My best leave-in results have come from a coney oil. (I've used products similar to the faux-Moroccan oil at Sally's. I might try that one next.)

My hair loves protein. I'm currently using Tigi Superstar Sulfate-Free shampoo (I picked up a huge bottle at Ulta last winter for cheap!) and Phyto Organics Babassu Mud conditioner. The conditioner is the thickest I've ever used, and I leave it on my hair until the end of my shower. My hair is so soft and amazing after using it.

HTH you find a routine that works for your hair. Good luck!

ImperfectBrat
October 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
I switched to COing a couple weeks ago because my hair just does not like 'poo at all. So 2 or 3 times per week I will CO with VO5 Blackberry Sage on my scalp and Tresemme Moisture Rich conditioner on the length.

For rinses, I usually do an ACV rinse but I am others now and then to switch it up.

For oils I use Flax seed or Triple Moon. Now and then I use a big dose of coconut but thats usually only before I clarify.

Dvips
October 1st, 2010, 05:02 PM
Things that have worked for me (straight-to-wavy fine & thin, between waist and classic):

1) COing with White Rain Sunflower conditioner (H2O solutbule 'cones, I believe). COing also working with Nature Gate's Organics Lemongrass & (something) conditioner (no 'cones).
My CO: Use conditioner once for cleaning, leave in 1-5 minutes, rinse well, then use conditioner again for conditioning, leave in 1-3 minutes, then rinse really well.

2) Using Morrocco Method shampoos & conditioner (only the Chi conditioner though, no leave in), but also using a non-'cone conditioner on the length.

3) Only detangling (with a seamless medium-wide toothed comb) when wet or damp. Not brushing at all.

4) Heavy oiling with pretty much any oil that my CO or MM could get out - usually coconut or jojoba.

5) Henna worked well, but only when I wanted red hair ;)

6) Damp bunning.

7) Satin pillowcases.

8 ) Stretching out washes to 3 - 5 days (just wearing it in a slicked back bun if it got too oily).

HTH!

charalito
October 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have fine and straight hair and wear it down 75% of the time. What works for me is WO washes every 2-3 days with a BS/ACV or borax/citric acid wash every 10 days. Coconut oil on ends as a prewash treatment or whenever I go swimming (to prevent chlorine damage, and silicone caps are a must). I sleep with a losely wrapped silk scarf (still waiting for the silk pillowcase to arrive) and microtrim every full moon.

As I said, my hair is down for work, but I put it up whenever I'm home or driving.

Schmoomunitions
October 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
I have thin hair that cant really be left down or it floats around and gets tangly. I still color my hair, I always will, its the only way I have any thickness. But I only dye my roots and use 10% peroxide and oil beforehand.
I try to brush as little as possible because it flattens my hair. But I brush it alot right before i shampoo. I finally have my scalp oil calmed down and I only need to shampoo twice a week but I am oily looking by then. I also use dry shampoo powder on those days which sorta helps a little, at least I smell nicer.
I used to henna which gave me great thickness but it wears out quickly on me and was very drying when I did it so often .
My favorite shampoo that got me able to wash much less is Burts Bees raspberry and brazil nut. After I rinse and while drying my hair feels yucky and dry but it is soooooo nice when it dries and I could go an extra day without washing. I condition my ends after every wash.. And mostly CWC.

I also pull the front of my hair in a barrette and since it is so flat I rat it a little before I pin it, I know thats bad but I dont care , my head looks misshapen if I dont!

Silk pillowcases definitely help

wahmof9
October 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
I am going to try some of the products suggested here...refining my "routine"...it has taken me about 1 1/2 year.

Thanks for sharing ladies.

melikai
October 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
My hair is fine, but not thin. I CWC 1-2 times a week, as needed. I find I can't do things like heavy oilings, unless I want to then shampoo or CO about 8 times to get the excess oil out. Sort of negates the point!

I really like Camellia oil, and Avocado oil. I just ordered some Coconut oil to try for the first time. I apply a couple of drops to the last few inches of my hair, dry.

I switch shampoos a fair amount. I like Aubrey Organics and Logona shampoos. I need a really good conditioner - my favourite is Nature's Baby Organics Lavender conditioner.

I also use Kimberlily's Defrizz spray, usually right before oiling.

I also use a BBB to distribute sebum and massage my scalp, prior to washing.

Shellby
October 2nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
So nice to get some input from others with fine hair. I have such a greasy scalp that I really can't stretch to more than every other day washings. I may try a few of the products you all are touting. I love powder. It is the only way I can get to every other day washings. Just tried CWC. I love the way my hair felt. Will continue to find the right routine....

kwaniesiam
October 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
My hair is babyfine and very thin. I've had success with shampoo bars and the Morocco Method.

smileycat
October 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Wow, lots of different answers! Another fine-hair here, and my hair hates cones, CO, CWC and SMT.

Right now I am using a shampoo bar followed with a fairy dilute chamomile-infused white vinegar rinse with a shot of AO conditioner mixed in (flavor depending on my mood). I dip my ends in the vinegar mix, pour the rest through my hair, then add a little more conditioner to my ends and let it sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing well. Nightblooming's Triple Moon oil (just two drops) works well as a leave-in for me. Oh, and my hair likes the AO protein conditioners, though I don't use protein every time I wash.

Good luck. I really do think it is try and try again until you find what your hair likes.

DrkAngel
October 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM
Interesting how we all got similar hair types and we still can't get a routine or even a single ingredient that works for all of us fine-haired heads. So much for being unique... frustrating? Naaaah. Mine is fine, curly and perpetually tangled. I just detangled one strand and I'm sitting still but the hairs have already found a way to curl up and form knots with each other.

I've found what works best for my hair is LOTS of moisture, some protein every once in a while but not too much or it will frizz up like crazy, and jojoba oil for my ends. Cones weight it down and make it wiry, so I don't use any. ANY. I've been COing for about 3 years now (whew! that went by fast!) and I only use shampoo with very mild surfactants once every 3 or 4 months to clarify or whenever I feel it need it. Because it is so fine and I'm currently living in a high humidity zone, I tend not to use any styling products as I like the soft natural feel and any leave-ins weight it down.

All in all, giving up shampoo and avoiding cones made such a huge difference to my hair. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what works for everyone else and maybe get a few ideas to try myself.

DrkAngel
October 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
oops. double post. lost my connection :shrug:

jackiesjottings
October 3rd, 2010, 12:18 PM
I really like Urtekran shampoos, and Jasons conditioners. I find my hair feels as if it has more body if I never comb it wet too, it seems to dry a bit bouncier somehow. Plus I braid it at night.

GoldLady
October 3rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
It's taken me forever to get a routine that finally makes me love my fine hair. It's currently longer than its ever been and I'm actually happy about it!
:cheese:

I use Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern Shampoo, Giovanni Smooth as Silk Conditioner on my canopy and L'Oreal Mega Moisture on my length.

I use Orofluido oil (best oil ever, I have enabled others to become addicted as well) all over after washing and between washings which I do about twice a week.

Satin pillowcases, damp bunning, comb only, no dryers or brushes.

:pumpkin: Happy Fall!

Anne~
October 3rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
Believe it or not my hair is fine.

Here is my routine.

1) Hair One hair cleanser and conditioner with Jojoba from Sally Beauty Supply to wash and condition. (its like WEN but cost less and I think it works better)
2) Giovanni Direct Leave-In after I wash. It makes my hair easier to comb. I comb with a big wide tooth comb.

I let it air dry and then use Jojoba Oil in the winter and Coconut Oil in the summer.

Mousse or gel to control the frizzies.

I wash my hair usually twice a week or when it gets dirty (we farm). I never brush only comb after I wash it and do not comb again till I wash again.

A satin cap when I sleep.

Laululintu
October 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
My hair isn't thin, but the bulk of it is fairly fine. It loves to tangle at every possible opportunity, too. Oh joy of joys :p Braids and updos are my boon companions ;)

At the moment I'm trying to wean myself off sulphate laden shampoos. The hydrating shampoo from MOP's C-system works rather well, as does the moisturising shampoo from the Body Shop's new rainforest themed line. However, I really need to be extra vigilant about using an acidic rinse when shampooing with either of those. The same rule applies for COing, as otherwise there's always a tiny bit of product left behind which in turn attracts buildup. I usually CWC, and CO occasionally.

SLS shampoos work well, but for some reason my canopy and my scalp are much happier without them at the moment. Most cones turn my hair into plastic and then to straw when used repeatedly.

As far as conditioners go, I love Biolage's conditioning balm! I also really like the hair butter from the new Body Shop line, the C-system hydrating conditioner and Extreme Moisture treatment from MOP, the triple nutrition nutri-repair conditioner from Garnier (which, to my surprise, is cone-free) and the old cone-free version of Aussie's Miracle moist conditioner.

As a general rule, I do well with hydrating products, moderate amounts of protein (I don't use special protein treatments, but I don't have to avoid products containing protein), acidic rinses, SMTs, natural leave-ins (oils, butters and aloe) and minimal heat styling. I don't brush my hair when it's wet, try to detangle it before getting it wet and use satin pillow cases most of the time. However, I'm not precious when it comes to my routine, and more often than not, my hair is subject to a fair bit of benign neglect. For example, I let my hairdresser use sulphates, cones, colour and heat on it, as I only get my hair done a few times a year.

girlcat36
October 3rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
My hair is curly, thin and fine.
I must use shampoo, so I Beauty Without Cruelty Daily shampoo. I wash 2-3 times a week. I condition with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner. I also like Biolage Conditioning
Balm, but its pricey.
I don't use any product for my curls; product is too heavy on my baby-fine hair.
I am cone and sulfate free, and even so I end up with build up on my hair, so once a month I use Joico chelating shampoo.
A silk(real silk) pillowcase is a must.

Babyfine
October 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
fine/thin wavy wurly here.
I shampoo 2X a week with Nioxin step 3 cleanser and use the Scalp treatment on the canopy. From the ears down I use Mane and Tail conditioner or Aubrey's honey suckle rose.
Then I spray in Morrocco method's volumizer mist/and put in a tiny bit lof Giovanni direct leave in just on the length and then put in a teeny tiny bit of styling mousse or gel. I switch those up a lot. I put in about a dime size of the gel or quarter size of mousse.
Some gels I like are Devacurl's Angel-$$$ but a little goes a long way the way I do it.
HE totally twisted mousse-less expensive good product.
I use much less styling product than most people with my length -just enought to tame friz and define waves.
Then I air dry most days/some days I blow dry with a diffuser if in a hurry. the diffuser gives me volume.
Satin pillowcase is a must for me.
I wear my hair up a lot/skipping the mousse/gel and just using the leave-in those days.
I get scalp build-up very easily so the only things on my scalp are the Nioxin. But my fragile length needs protein/moisture. I finally figured out the right combo to care for my hair.

angelfell
October 4th, 2010, 09:46 AM
I am fine haired in the sense that I do not have a whole lot of hair, but each individual strand is pretty thick/heavy. I find that any Garnier Fructis product works fairly well with my hair. Paul Mitchell products are way too heavy and leave my hair very greasy.

mellie89
October 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
My hair is fine but not thin.

I S&C every 2-3 days. I like to use sulfates (usually SLES). Cones worked beautifully on my hair when it was 100% virgin, but they do not get along with my fried ends. I'm currently liking the Suave Professionals series, which is cone-free. The shampoo has SLES. The key for reducing frizz for me is to not comb, part, detangle, or otherwise touch my hair while it's drying.

I'm heat-free, but I never found blow drying to be too particularly damaging. Maybe just slightly drying.

I like jojoba oil, but not coconut (makes me shed a lot). I just use a few drops on the ends as a pre-wash treatment.

I wear my hair down a lot. I use a Body Shop brush with wooden quills for detangling. My hair hates combs, wooden or otherwise (riiip! shred!) and BBBs.

I use a satin pillowcase and have noticed a huge decrease in tangles when I wake up.

Angelica
October 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM
My hair is super fine, silky and poker straight. I wear it up all the time, but unfortunately that has caused some breakage and stress to the hair. I am not absolutely convinced that wearing hair up all the time is good for it. But my hair looks better up as it would get so knotty otherwise. I used to have a bad problem with static, but have now stopped using hair spray, instead I use a Jason's hairspray, it's not like the stuff I used to use. My hair is still soft and without stiffness and stickiness that it used to have. I do prefer a leave in conditioner as I do find it hard to comb sometimes because it is now quite long.

I have not really found a shampoo that I really like yet and wash out conditioner is a bind.

I did a little self-trimming yesterday and it is much better for it.

I sleep with it plaited to keep it tidy. I have silk pillows but have not noticed any improvement using them, except that the pillows are lovely and soft.

Lots of hairstyles do not work on me. Sometimes I get bored, but I have resisted the urge to cut the whole lot off because I know I will not be happy if the length is gone. French braids are my favourite style.

virgo75
October 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I have extremely fine, curly hair.

I haven't settled on products 100% but I do have some criteria:
1)shampoo at least 2-3 times per week with a clear shampoo.
My scalp hates anything thick or creamy so CO washing and moisturizing shampoos are OUT. If I had to pick 1 favorite shampoo it would be Aveda Brilliant because it's clear, cleans without stripping, makes my hair slightly less frizzy, and smells lovely.

2)Condition after every shampoo w/ a liquidy conditioner.
I don't think my hair really benefits from heavier or thicker conditioners because all the thick, yummy conditioners that everyone else likes either don't do squat for my hair, or they cause buildup and tangles. I don't really have a favorite conditioner, but again, I do like the Aveda Brilliant Conditioner. I'm out at the moment so I'm using other things.

3)Use a chelating shampoo at least once per month.
This is new for me and I just figured out that I have really hard water. Using a chelating shampoo made a HUGE difference in my hair - how it absorbs conditioner, how the ends feel, and the amount of tangling(much less now). I use ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo that can be found in the ethnic hair care section. It works just fine, but when it runs out I may try another brand.

I can't really use hair styling products because they either sit on my hair or make it dry. Or both. Instead I just leave something conditioning in my hair - conditioner, oil, or a butter.

wahmof9
October 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Lots of great info...off to research :D

MClass
October 8th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Believe it or not my hair is fine.

Here is my routine.

1) Hair One hair cleanser and conditioner with Jojoba from Sally Beauty Supply to wash and condition. (its like WEN but cost less and I think it works better)
2) Giovanni Direct Leave-In after I wash. It makes my hair easier to comb. I comb with a big wide tooth comb.

I let it air dry and then use Jojoba Oil in the winter and Coconut Oil in the summer.

Mousse or gel to control the frizzies.

I wash my hair usually twice a week or when it gets dirty (we farm). I never brush only comb after I wash it and do not comb again till I wash again.

A satin cap when I sleep.

Question: If you only comb between washes, does that mean you wear it up? Because I try to not brush and my hair looks stringy.

rags
October 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Question: If you only comb between washes, does that mean you wear it up? Because I try to not brush and my hair looks stringy.

I'm not Anne, but your hair is 1a. I'm not sure what hers is, but it looks to be in the curly range from her siggy. Lots of curlies don't brush.

breezefaerie
October 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Another fine and thin here. My hair is almost poker straight, not quite though. I have to CWC or scalp wash every day or my hair will get so stringy and piecey that my scalp shows through.
I love CWC as my cleaning method and am very careful to not condition any hair above my ears. I do oil very lightly each night with Vatika oil and heavy oil once a week. My hair is finally getting long enough to do more than one updo but I do wear it down about once a week.
My hair also likes cones in small amounts, so I do a coney leave-in or make my second C in CWC a coney one about twice a week.
I also henna which my hair loves and use a silk pillowcase.
I am subscribed to this thread to get more hints!

cubedcoley
October 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
oooo! What a fun thread! I have been here for about 7 weeks and started with CO, which I loved for about 7-10 days, then it was too heavy, even without cones. So, I found a shampoo bar from Whole Foods. I figured I would try it to decide what I thought prior to looking into Chagrin Valley bars. I know I was probably worked through the "greasies" after giving up regular wash, so I waited on use of the bar. However, after about 3 more weeks of cone free CO, I tend to get greasy hair even when I did a dilute ACV rinse.

SO!!!!! Here is my routine: about 3 times per week I put cheap conditioner (currently Suave Pomegranate splash) with no cones on the ends only, followed by a scalp wash with my shampoo bar. I, then, rinse everything out. Lastly, I rinse with dilute ACV/water. My hair is the absolute thickest it has ever been, and though I am posted as a f/m, I think I defined my hair a little wrong: when I put a strand between my fingers, I cannot feel it.

anyway, HAPPY FINE HAIR-ING IT! :thumbsup:

Cybelle
January 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM
My hair is on the thinner side and I found that heavy oiling was not for me. I also wash about 2 times a week. Coconut oil is working really well I just put in a very small amount to my length after a wash and it never leaves my hair looking oily. The up thing about thinner hair is it's light in an up-do and the ends are easy to fit into buns. As far as products go that is completely a self preference thing. I like using baby shampoo but sometimes experiment with other shampoos. I don't think I could ever go cone free my hair likes it too much.:rolleyes:

cubedcoley
January 30th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Can any of you fine-haired folk to tell me if you are oil shampooing it? My CV bars don't work with the coconut oil and my hair hates sulphates!! I have to condition even with the oil shampoo due to severe winter static! Do any of you fine haired find similar problems? I really loved oil shampoo the 2 or 3 times I got it to work but a consistent shampoo and recipe continue to elude me!!

Vorvolaka
January 31st, 2011, 03:31 AM
Can any of you fine-haired folk to tell me if you are oil shampooing it? My CV bars don't work with the coconut oil and my hair hates sulphates!! I have to condition even with the oil shampoo due to severe winter static! Do any of you fine haired find similar problems? I really loved oil shampoo the 2 or 3 times I got it to work but a consistent shampoo and recipe continue to elude me!!

I use the oil shampoo method. Conditioner weighs my hair down, this method doesn't. I do use sulphates though. I'm not sure if I've came across a non-sulphate shampoo being used in the thread.

I have stuck to roughly a 2:1 ratio (shampoo to coconut oil) throughout and always had good results. It seems to be enough to keep me at optimal but to never reach saturation. I'll occassionally do a heavy oiling and just wash out with shampoo.

haibane
January 31st, 2011, 05:38 AM
I use the oil shampoo method. Conditioner weighs my hair down, this method doesn't. I do use sulphates though. I'm not sure if I've came across a non-sulphate shampoo being used in the thread.

I have stuck to roughly a 2:1 ratio (shampoo to coconut oil) throughout and always had good results. It seems to be enough to keep me at optimal but to never reach saturation. I'll occassionally do a heavy oiling and just wash out with shampoo.
What shampoo are you using? I've tried it with Head&Shoulders and it's less drying than shampoo without the oil, but still not optimal.

I just started doing heavy scalp pre-oilings with a castor/coconut oil mix, and that seems to wash out fine with oil shampoo.

Lilli
January 31st, 2011, 06:34 AM
If I want wavy, thick hair, I use a shampoo bar, ACV rinse, and don't comb while wet. This will be tangly but look like those "sexy bedroom hair" styles.

If I want shiny, sleek hair, I use a cheap, no-cone S & C like Suave and comb while wet. This will be nice to run my hands through.

Cones and protein are bad for me. Cones build up and make me dry very quickly, and protein makes brittle tangles.

Vorvolaka
January 31st, 2011, 06:51 AM
What shampoo are you using? I've tried it with Head&Shoulders and it's less drying than shampoo without the oil, but still not optimal.

I just started doing heavy scalp pre-oilings with a castor/coconut oil mix, and that seems to wash out fine with oil shampoo.

I alternate between a mild shampoo and a slightly harsher shampoo. My mild ones are Aussie Aussome Volume or Simple Gentle Care. I use whatever one I have to hand although, long term, the Aussie is working out better that the Simple. My harsher shampoo is Herbal Essences Fresh Balance Clarifying shampoo.

I've found that when I stick to one shampoo, my hair is great initially but then starts to look and feel a bit 'off'. This not only happens with the oil shampoo mehtod but also my old CWC method. Mixing it up works best for me.

girlcat36
January 31st, 2011, 07:07 AM
I use oil shampoo, right now Prell is the shampoo. I'm walking a fine line with the oil shampoo, my hair is fine, thin, and curly. Trying to keep the curls without poofy frizz and not weigh down my hair is difficult.
I am using VO5 Blackberry Sage Tea conditioner as a leave-in, but it is watered down by half to make it even thinner.

Butter Bean
January 31st, 2011, 07:37 AM
I can't offer any advice because I am just getting started, but I am learning a lot here. Thanks everyone for the input.

rags
January 31st, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'm using the oil shampoo, and have been at saturation since the beginning of December. It doesn't weigh down my fine hair like conditioners can. I use the Redken, though (it's pricy). About once every two or three weeks I use the Degunkify (with oil in, not to clarify) mixed with just a tiny bit of Redken. This seems to take care of my "over saturation" problems.

Annalouise
January 31st, 2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you Wamof:) for starting this thread. It is really helpful for me a fine, thin hair who is trying to find what works and what doesn't. Since I've tended to experiment a lot and mostly fail at my experiments I can say what doesn't work for me if that is helpful: proteins, herbs, too much oil, no shampoo, water only, and not clarifying.

I need to wash my hair and head with some form of shampoo or soap. I need to condition my hair or it will dry out and the tangles will be out of control. And I think I need a leave in but haven't found one yet.:)

And I'm still not sure if I like oils. Despite using them I don't think they really add any moisture to my hair. They seem to just coat it. Overtime, regular oiling has not made my hair more moisturized.

haibane
January 31st, 2011, 10:26 AM
I alternate between a mild shampoo and a slightly harsher shampoo. My mild ones are Aussie Aussome Volume or Simple Gentle Care. I use whatever one I have to hand although, long term, the Aussie is working out better that the Simple. My harsher shampoo is Herbal Essences Fresh Balance Clarifying shampoo.

I've found that when I stick to one shampoo, my hair is great initially but then starts to look and feel a bit 'off'. This not only happens with the oil shampoo mehtod but also my old CWC method. Mixing it up works best for me.
Thank you! I switch up shampoos a lot too, my hair and my scalp just seem to like variety, but Head&Shoulders is the one that's worked best as an oil shampoo so far.

NouvelleNymphe2
January 31st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hello to all the fine haired gals, and thanks for this thread! I'm a fello finey so I'll share some of my moves:). My hair (and skin) seem to enjoy white vinegar rinses. I do them quite often. I mostly CO, but need to clarify twice a week. I would like to get down to once a week (and then see if I can keep minimizing from there). I don't like the poo, but I will get greasy and stringy if I stop all together. I like Aubrey Luxurious Camomile conditioner. I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Hauschka's Jojoba and Marsh Mallow conditioner (expensive and didn't penetrate well for me). I switched to pharmacy/grocery store brands, and wow:happydance:! I really like: 1.) Garnier Fructis Nutri-Repair Triple Nutrition (after buying saw there are lots of posts about this one) and 2.) Garnier Ultra Doux Avocato Oil. Other things, trying to comb only when dry, wear hair up most of the time, no chemicals (duh) *rolls eyes at own stupidity* :rolleyes:, little to no heat. My hair is all natural (no chems), but it is quite dry so it really drinks up oils. Currently using Camellia and Avocado. I use an organic Argan shampoo to clarify and it is really quite lovely. Perhaps I'll try Argan oil in the future. My next thing will be a satin or silk pillowcase. Can anyone suggest a place to buy such a pillowcase at a reasonable price?

Vorvolaka
January 31st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Thank you! I switch up shampoos a lot too, my hair and my scalp just seem to like variety, but Head&Shoulders is the one that's worked best as an oil shampoo so far.

You're welcome! I've not tried H&S with oil yet. I may give it a go.

ddiana1979
January 31st, 2011, 01:05 PM
Can anyone suggest a place to buy such a pillowcase at a reasonable price?

Dharma Trading Co. has high quality, but inexpensive 100% silk pillowcases (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml). I have two, and I'm extremely pleased with them.

rags
February 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
A second for Dharma Trading. I am on my second set from them, and I've been quite happy with them! (only because I managed to put the first set in the laundry with Clorox 2. Which turned them an interesting shade of blue.......:rolleyes: )

MartineG
February 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone, I took notes of a lot of your products/tips and will try it on my hair.

Yamainu
March 1st, 2011, 08:09 AM
I always used to use cones (Garnier Long and Strong was my favorites), but the last few months I've been using no cones. I've tried it before without it working, but it seems to be fine this time, so maybe it was a product thing (I'm currently using suave proffesionals). Lately though my hair's been kinda "velcro-y", and so I'm gonna try a deep oil and clarify (and maybe a club soda chelating? - Just read about those) and see if that helps. If not, back to cones!

I've always been one of those people who needs to switch up products. Does it matter if you switch back and forth from cones to no cones?

CarpeDM
March 1st, 2011, 08:13 AM
Well I love a slew of products for my fine hair, too many I think to list, but at the moment cassia is my favorite for plumping up my hair and giving it a little oomph..

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 08:45 AM
I have very thin/oily/frizzy hair. I was using treseme but now using WEN. So far it has tamed my frizz but the exsessive shedding is still there. the dermatologist wont make the effort to find whats causing it. I did find that I'm clueless with my hair since the shedding started. I have just totally given up on the fact that no matter what i do my hair wont stop shedding. I take a multivitamin every day for hair skin and nails, i only co-wash with WEN 2-3 times a week. I stoped using the scalp oil from WEN because i think it was clogging my pores that and last night more started falling out. So i freaked and washed it out straight away. But for now until i get a call back from the dermatolgoist i have to grin and bear the awful sight.

AspenSong
March 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM
What I've found works for my hair as a routine....

CO Washing with VO5 Conditioner - My hair is so much different and better since going no sulfates and no cones.

I only wash every 3 days about.

I condition with VO5, Natures Gate or the Sunflower Market store brand (it's great and thick!)

My everyday oils that I use a bit of everyday and right after I wash, are Jojoba and Grapeseed oil. Just a bit on the ends and on the hair at my nape that's tangled easily.

My heavy oilings. I've been using Coconut oil...but I'm thinking of exploring some new oils.
I also like to mix up a coconut oil, honey, conditioner and aloe treatment now and then and let it sit on my hair under a warm towel for the day.

I do a baking soda and ACV rinse every few weeks, or just when I feel my hair needs it. I'll rinse with ACV off and on normally, when I wash my hair. I experience no dryness from this myself.

I sleep with my hair in a satin sleepcap, on a satin pillowcase. I Rarely have a tangle in the morning anymore. And if I do, my Tangle Teezer takes care of it! ;)

Every 4 months or so, I've been doing a Cassia treatment on my hair....just for conditioning and ooomph.

Other than that...I just keep it up. Occasionally damp bun it after a shower and some oil....which seems to be great because my hair seems to absorb every drop of oil when I do that!

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 08:52 AM
I just ordered my silk pillowcase from Dharma today! I cant wait to get it and try it out. Right now i'm using a satin sleep cap and it is doing nothing but creating a mess of hair when i wake up and take it off. I mean yea i can not worry about laying on my hair and my hair isnt long enough for a bun or pony tail that and its too thin with shedding. but im hoping the silk pillowcase will be loads better!

eccentricquirks
March 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
Satin pillow cases help a lot. So do sleep-dos. I used to braid when my hair was longer, and will go back to that when it is long enough to do so.

BabyRay33
March 1st, 2011, 09:24 AM
I know I am new, but I think I have learned a lot about how to treat my fine thin hair.

No blowdrying at all.

My hair doesn't mind cones, and since I swim, I think that they protect my hair from the chemicals a bit.

I use coconut oil on the ends after swimming, after I shower, but on days where I do not shower, I have this Olive Oil moisture treatment I found in the "ethnic" hair section, and I put that on my dry ends. That really helps keep them from drying out.

I also on weekends use a Placenta protein treatment as a leave in, and this softens my hair to the point where it is the softest it is all week.

And then I repeat this cycle every week. Since I started growing my hair out from collarbone in November, I am now at APL.

So its working for me, maybe it helps someone else!

Babyfine
March 1st, 2011, 09:45 AM
shampoo/conditioon Nioxin step 3 cleanser and scalp therapy about 2-3X a week. Use a heavier conditioner sometimes from ears down(Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose).
My hair is fine fragile and color-treated with a demi color so the ends need more moisture.
The rest of the time either CO with V05 kiwi lime or camomile cond or just lightly mist when dry with distilled water, or with Morrocco's volumizer mist.
Air dry 99% of time using a clipping at roots method with small claw clips for volume. Use small amount of Aubreys gel for volume, wave definition.
Sometimes dry with a diffuser, if I'm in a hurry.
Deep treatment every couple of weeks or so with Aubrey's blue green algae mask, sometimes with Hask's henna and placenta.
That's about it.
wanting to try Cassia, haven't done it yet.

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM
I know I am new, but I think I have learned a lot about how to treat my fine thin hair.

No blowdrying at all.

My hair doesn't mind cones, and since I swim, I think that they protect my hair from the chemicals a bit.

I use coconut oil on the ends after swimming, after I shower, but on days where I do not shower, I have this Olive Oil moisture treatment I found in the "ethnic" hair section, and I put that on my dry ends. That really helps keep them from drying out.

I also on weekends use a Placenta protein treatment as a leave in, and this softens my hair to the point where it is the softest it is all week.

And then I repeat this cycle every week. Since I started growing my hair out from collarbone in November, I am now at APL.

So its working for me, maybe it helps someone else!

So were suppose to use the oil on our ends not on our scalp?

Annalouise
March 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have very thin/oily/frizzy hair. I was using treseme but now using WEN. So far it has tamed my frizz but the exsessive shedding is still there. the dermatologist wont make the effort to find whats causing it. I did find that I'm clueless with my hair since the shedding started. I have just totally given up on the fact that no matter what i do my hair wont stop shedding. I take a multivitamin every day for hair skin and nails, i only co-wash with WEN 2-3 times a week. I stoped using the scalp oil from WEN because i think it was clogging my pores that and last night more started falling out. So i freaked and washed it out straight away. But for now until i get a call back from the dermatolgoist i have to grin and bear the awful sight.

Many people report that when they use herbs to wash their hair the shedding decreases substantially. You might be sensitive to a chemical or a soap. If you are washing your hair regularily you shouldn't have clogged pores (which can lead to hair loss).:)
Herbs are a bit tricky though and they are not for everyone. I am using yucca presently and it works very well. Aritha can be drying, but some people say that shikakai is less trying then aritha. You can look on the Indian hair thread in the mane forum to find more information about washing with herbs.:)

So were suppose to use the oil on our ends not on our scalp?

You can do both. When you oil your scalp it needs to be washed off the next morning or a few hours later. Not left on the scalp for days which sometimes people do with the length.:)

Delila
March 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM
How'd I miss this thread?

My hair's quite fine and fragile.

I've done a lot of experimenting over the years, if you're totally obsessed, check out my blog, here and in the archives. :)

Herbal cleansing worked quite well for me, my hair and scalp both loved it. Morrocco Method also worked well. I didn't stick with either because I find that shampoos and conditioners work about as well, and are much less hassle. (Also, I got tired of the odor of the Morrocco Method products. Not bad, just tired of them.)

Herb-wise, I've been quite happy with using cassia obovata as a treatment product, but my recent dedication to this practice is something of an anomaly. I tend to forget about it, and do it twice a year or so. :rolleyes:

In general terms, dilute shampoo on my scalp and conditioning the ends works quite well for me.

In recent years, I've been doing a kind of extended experiment, to see how well I get along with George Michael products, and so far, so good. I have also been experimenting with the occasional use of a chelating shampoo, since I think the water in my area is difficult, and so far, so good on that one too.

Basically what works for me is to shampoo my scalp, and condition my length. My scalp doesn't seem to like it much when I get conditioner on my scalp, but I've never bothered to find out which ingredients are problematic.

Oh! ETA: Forgot that I've also been using camellia oil on my hair lately, with good results. My hair doesn't like a lot of other oils, but camellia japonica seems fine.

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Many people report that when they use herbs to wash their hair the shedding decreases substantially. You might be sensitive to a chemical or a soap. If you are washing your hair regularily you shouldn't have clogged pores (which can lead to hair loss).:)
Herbs are a bit tricky though and they are not for everyone. I am using yucca presently and it works very well. Aritha can be drying, but some people say that shikakai is less trying then aritha. You can look on the Indian hair thread in the mane forum to find more information about washing with herbs.:)

You can do both. When you oil your scalp it needs to be washed off the next morning or a few hours later. Not left on the scalp for days which sometimes people do with the length.:)

Thank you i will go look at it. I think its much easier to maintain straight hair than it is curly hair cause honestly i prefer straight hair right about now. I was using an all herb co-wash from Jessicurls after a while it didnt work for me anymore and had to stop it wasnt cleaning my hair right. Then i went to main n tale with dove conditioner and same thing happend with that one. So after reading these threads its so much easier to do all of these things but with curly hair its much more frustrating. :(

if i do the scalp treatment again im only going to leave it in for couple of hours and then wash it out if i leave it in longer my hair stays oily till the next day and doesnt make for a good look.

however, i was searching for caster oil and coconut oil or any kind of oil really mentioned and i can only find it in creme form and in the section for women of color. :( how can i know if i have the right stuff or not lol. Links directly to the products would be good :)

Uni&Corn
March 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have fine hair, and as far as products go I make my own! I mix coconut oil with aloe vera gel and use that as a leave-in after showers. I use less than a pea-size amount (otherwise my hair gets super greasy because of the fineness), and it moisturizes my ends and makes the length really soft.

Yamainu
March 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
however, i was searching for caster oil and coconut oil or any kind of oil really mentioned and i can only find it in creme form and in the section for women of color. :( how can i know if i have the right stuff or not lol. Links directly to the products would be good :)

Coconut oil will be in the cooking oils section of most grocery stores, and I finally tracked down castor oil at my local wallgreens (pharmacy) in the digestive health section - it was on the bottom shelf, underneath the constipation medications. :D

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 12:51 PM
Coconut oil will be in the cooking oils section of most grocery stores, and I finally tracked down castor oil at my local wallgreens (pharmacy) in the digestive health section - it was on the bottom shelf, underneath the constipation medications. :D

Thank you! :) and many others.

Anyway i can only use this on my scalp for treatments, if i put it on the rest of my hair as women of straigth hair do for added moisture my hair will die lol go limp and become oily, clump up etc.

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM
I found this oil at walgreens and was hoping to get some opinions on it. :)

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/profectiv-mega-growth-anti-breakage-strengthener-growth-oil/ID=prod3460024-product

it may not be for me but the name and description sounds promising lol

summerjade
March 1st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the good information. My hair is medium thickness but is fine. My scalp gets itchy and the ends dry. Due to my uncomfortable scalp I wash every other day usually. My routines vary from shampoo to shampoo. I sometimes use the COC , sometimes I sleep overnight in jojoba oil and shampoo and cond. the next morning. I always put in a leave in on the ends of some kind, a drop of oil or maybe a leave in cone sometimes.. My hair likes variation. I sometimes use a bar shampoo , an ACV rinse with condish applied over that, leave couple minutes and rinse it all out. This makes my hair shiny with lots of volume. Then I will put just a little leave in , but not too much as it will go flat. I use chemical color as that makes my hair thicker, but only on the roots as it grows. I wear my hair up at home or when doing something that I need to protect from. I wear it down a lot of the time also. It depends on my mood. I like to use forks and ficarre's and barrets and flexi-8's. I also like to french braid and the fishtail braid when I wear it up.

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM
what is CWC, AVC, and COC?

Yamainu
March 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Condition Wash Condition is where you put conditioner on the ends of your hair (usually around ear down) and (without rinsing it out) shampoo just your scalp. The conditioner protects the older, more fragile ends, while still letting your roots get nice and clean. Rinse it all out, and condition as usual.

I don't know about AVC, but ACV it apple cider vinegar, which some gals use (diluted) as a conditioning rinse.

And COC is a variation of conditioner only, washing the hair with one conditioner (usually a watery, cheap one), and then conditioning the hair as normal with another conditioner.

WickedLady
March 1st, 2011, 04:17 PM
Condition Wash Condition is where you put conditioner on the ends of your hair (usually around ear down) and (without rinsing it out) shampoo just your scalp. The conditioner protects the older, more fragile ends, while still letting your roots get nice and clean. Rinse it all out, and condition as usual.

I don't know about AVC, but ACV it apple cider vinegar, which some gals use (diluted) as a conditioning rinse.

And COC is a variation of conditioner only, washing the hair with one conditioner (usually a watery, cheap one), and then conditioning the hair as normal with another conditioner.

I might just try that instead of spending hundreds of dollars on WEN imean yea it is great and has all these herbs but spendy. Any you recommend?

eccentricquirks
March 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM
You can wash with any light conditioner. The key is light. I've heard of people using VO5 Kiwi Lime with good results, and I've used White Rain Volume and Suave Clarifying conditioners with some success. Be aware that no matter what conditioner you use for the COC wash portion, you'll need to clarify on a regular basis to keep your scalp from junking up and your hair from weighing down.

Personally, I'm doing Shampoo only (my hair is too short right now to put up) with a drop or two of Africa's Best Oil (http://www.walgreens.com/store/store/product/product_details.jsp?id=prod11827) to keep the fly aways down.