PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar rinses

Mexibeach
September 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I did my first vinegar rinse yesterday and it left my hair feeling fabulously soft - but completely flat. When I wash with S&C with cones, my hair is completely flat - which would be fine if it were longer. At this incredibly annoying length (just about shoulder) I find it really does need some waves (which I have naturally). Will I be cursed to use S&C with cones until I get some length back? I am in unknown territory with my hair this length; it's never been this short. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone have a solution? Would it work to perhaps add a wee bit of coconut oil to the ends after a vinegar rinse? btw, I used 3 tbsp white vinegar to 1 c cold water for the rinse....

aenflex
September 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
When I used ACV I rinsed after the poo and before the conditioner. Not sure if this would make a difference in the flatness, though. My hair is never flat :(

dreamy10
September 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I would dilute your rinse ratio further. It is very powerful, only takes a little.

pepperminttea
September 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'd try a different dilution ratio, too. The strange thing is, ACV rinses do the opposite for me; my hair feels lighter and fluffier, if anything it has more movement; but I'm not a cone user, which makes a lot of difference for me. What's your hair like without cones, out of interest?

FrannyG
September 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I agree that your dilution sounds quite strong. I only use about 4 tablespoons per 8 cup/2 litre pitcher of water, with good results.

Denebi
September 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
The vinegar rinse flattens the cuticle of the hair which is rough from the shampoo use. So, the result is that the hair is very smooth and shiny. And obviously, it does not add any volume to the hair. You can apply coconut oil after rinsing, but I don't think it will help much.

So, if you have desirable results with s&c and cones, why don't you continue with it? It's not that cones harm the hair. Some people (also some users here) have quite a good working routine with cones and nevertheless long and healthy hair.

Roscata
September 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Does anyone know if vinegar rinses are ok to use for Henna?

I read somewhere that I could use vinegar to remove the henna, now I'm scared it will damage my red.

Sanyia
September 30th, 2010, 07:16 PM
As they said, dilute the ACV more and you should be ok! I use a condiment squeeze bottle (I think it's 12 oz) and only a teaspoon of ACV.

Mexibeach
October 1st, 2010, 09:34 AM
I'd try a different dilution ratio, too. The strange thing is, ACV rinses do the opposite for me; my hair feels lighter and fluffier, if anything it has more movement; but I'm not a cone user, which makes a lot of difference for me. What's your hair like without cones, out of interest?

Well, at this length, without cones my hair is flat as well. Until I get back to nearly BSL, I think I am stuck using cones. I will keep trying every so often for a couple of weeks - but it is still quite flat right now. Grrrrr. I am using Aveeno Nourishing Shampoo & Conditioner right now and it works well - when I use that and air dry and finger straighten my hair, I get quite a bit of bounce and waves. I think I will perhaps try 1tbsp to 1 cup of cold water for my rinses this time... perhaps it was just to powerful. I am looking forward to getting back to my regular hair routine when I get more length back - my hair seems to HATE this length as much as I hate seeing it in the mirror. LOL One good thing with the wee bit of length I've gotten back over the last month or so is that it isn't as oily as it was right after the cut. Man, I'll NEVER allow someone to cut my hair again. What a process this has been!!! and will continue to be I'm sure...:rolleyes:

Chestershire
October 1st, 2010, 11:05 AM
how many times a week/ (month) do use rinse your hair with vinegar rinses? I'd like to try it sometime, but I'm a real vinegar rinse rookie :'3

Mexibeach
October 1st, 2010, 11:13 AM
how many times a week/ (month) do use rinse your hair with vinegar rinses? I'd like to try it sometime, but I'm a real vinegar rinse rookie :'3

This was my first one!! :o