PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is pay day, so here is my question:

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Tomorrow is my first pay day since joining LHC, so of course I am going to be doing some hefty shopping for the hair :). I don't think I'm in need of a new shampoo and conditioner, however there are some other things I'd like to purchase, and if anyone has time to enlighten me I could use some help :p figuring out prices & the best types of places to buy these products.

Coconut Milk ; I have decided I can probably get it at WalMart, what's the average price?

Hair Toys ; In general, the sticks & clips and anything else for the hair that's decorative (but not very damaging). I've seen some delicate, beautiful sticks online for $80.. don't think I'm ready for that yet though :3.

Wide Toothed Comb ; Maybe Sally's Beauty Supply? Oh, and does anyone know if a so-called 'boar bristle brush' is bad for the hair? Probably.. but it makes mine shiny :x.

Jojoba Oil ; also peaked my interest. Never seen it anywhere before.

I may add more as I think of them. It's early :p.

swivelhop
September 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
OOOH time to shop vicariously! :D

I'm not sure on coconut milk, but coconut oil is 5-7 dollars a liter in the baking section.

The best cheap sticks I've found are acrylic knitting needles from hobby or craft stores. The are super smooth, strong, and have interesting designed swirled in. Claire's also sells sticks but they always break on me. Either option is the 3 to 10 dollar range.

I just bought jojoba oil for the first time ever. That stuff is hard to find, yet GNC had some.:confused: (why was I even in GNC?)

Wide tooth combs... meh. I think you have to order good ones. Kmart had 20 different wide/shower combs last time I went but all seamed plastic or wood.

Anje
September 30th, 2010, 07:29 AM
You can probably get coconut milk for under $1 per can. I don't know whether Walmart carries it, but be sure to check some grocery international sections if you have trouble. It tends to show up in Thai cooking, for example.

There are lots of hairsticks online that are way cheaper than the ones you saw (which I'm guessing were LongLocks sticks -- they're supposed to be great quality, but too expensive for my taste). You can find a lot on Etsy, and several members here make them. The Nightblooming shop there is one of the favorites around here, if I may plug a friend.

Sally would probably be a good place for a wide-tooth comb. Another place, if you have one nearby, is the Body Shop. They have wooden wide-tooth combs that a lot of us like. Boar bristle brushes are good for hair, in general. Keep yours!

Jojoba oil... maybe a health food store? It's a bit hard to find. Do consider getting some coconut oil (or sesame, walnut, grapeseed, avocado, ...) at the grocery store and try those, too. Jojoba's OK for some folks, but it's not the end-all and beat-all of hair oils.

paperwhite
September 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Do you have any coconut oil yet? That's a good investment, it lasts for a really, really long time. I'd say the jars go from $8-$12 depending on where you go.

HTH! :)

ETA: Oops! swivelhop beat me to it!

marisa
September 30th, 2010, 07:34 AM
For coconut milk at Wal-mart check the ethnic food aisle. I have found it in both the hispanic and thai sections. Usually around $2 a can.

I just saw some cute hair sticks & toys at Icing in the mall. Around $10, not bad.

Yes, Sally Beauty Supply is a great place for brushes & combs. They have a nice selection of BBB brushes.

Jojoba oil, I would try your local health food store.

Happy shopping!! :)

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Most of the places you all mentioned I can find in my area, which is great :). The only problem I have with shopping online is.. well, I DO have a credit card, but I hate to use it. My dad is in credit card debit and he told me to never get there XD. I could use my debit card, but I HATE my bank, and whenever I get paid I withdraw all my money immediately. But I suppose I could leave some in there just for some nice hair toys ^^

Coconut oil vs coconut milk.. hmm.. the oil sounds more moisturizing :p. Since the milk is cheap maybe I'll get both?

bumblebums
September 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Most of the places you all mentioned I can find in my area, which is great :). The only problem I have with shopping online is.. well, I DO have a credit card, but I hate to use it. My dad is in credit card debit and he told me to never get there XD. I could use my debit card, but I HATE my bank, and whenever I get paid I withdraw all my money immediately. But I suppose I could leave some in there just for some nice hair toys ^^

Coconut oil vs coconut milk.. hmm.. the oil sounds more moisturizing :p. Since the milk is cheap maybe I'll get both?

I think most people use coconut oil. Coconut milk goes moldy after a few weeks of opening the can, and I can't imagine using an entire can of it in the course of a month...

Quecraft sticks are very affordable--check out her Etsy shop. If you shop on Etsy, you can use PayPal. You can refill the account by credit card or from a bank account.

If you hate your bank so much, why not switch to another one? :) If you have access to a credit union, you will get better rates on most products, and they have decent ATM coverage because they form an alliance so that you can use any other CU or small bank ATM for free...

aenflex
September 30th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't spend a lot of money the 1st go around, just in case anything you buy doesn't work out. I spent 18 bucks on a BBB and it turned out my hair didn't respond well to BBB at all. Now I have an 18 dollar cat brush :)
I think you can purchase a pre-paid Visa or whatever, with cash, and use that to shop online? Good luck with your spree!

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 08:54 AM
If you hate your bank so much, why not switch to another one? :) If you have access to a credit union, you will get better rates on most products, and they have decent ATM coverage because they form an alliance so that you can use any other CU or small bank ATM for free...

I'd really like to, but bank hours are a BRAT, and I work 9:30-6 monday-friday. They're open (most of them) inside until like noon or 1pm on saturdays.. but.. I like to sleep in D:. So I just withdraw it all ASAP when I get paid XD.

Merewen
September 30th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I definitely suggest Etsy for hair sticks.

I had no luck at all finding combs at Sally's. They all had seams! I got my comb online as well. I found it here (http://www.hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm).

virgo75
September 30th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Shopping is always fun! :D

I'd agree with others about skipping the coconut milk and getting the oil instead. Even if it doesn't work as a leave-in, you could still use it for pre-shampoo oiling or to mix a little into your conditioner of choice for a deeper condition. I've used coconut milk, and I'm not sure what it's supposed to do, but it did nothing for me personally. :shrug:

If you have a Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe they should have jojoba oil.

Boar Bristle Brushes are supposed to be good for distributing oil along your hair. Something about the natural bristles picking up the oil and depositing wherever you brush. I wouldn't think that was bad for your hair unless you brush excessively.

I don't know much about hair toys, my hair is just about arm pit lenght so I'm just getting to the point of using them. :)

Have fun on your shopping spree. :flower:

mizsunshyne
September 30th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I am not sure, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't buy the coconut oil from the grocery store. You're supposed to get it at a health store or something. I think there's a difference between the goodness in the oil that goes in your hair and the stuff that you consume. I was actually thinking of picking up some at Wal-Mart, too. Where does everyone else buy theirs? At Wal-Mart, it's $7.

I bought my boar bristle brush from Sally's. It helps distribute the oils in your hair. It doesn't destroy it. You just have to make sure it's detangled before you use the brush. I use mine before I wash my hair because it gets really greasy.

Calaelen
September 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hi! Welcome to LHC! Everyone ahead of me has given most of the advice I would, so I'll keep it short and try not to repeat.

I do recommend coconut oil over the milk as it lasts much longer and gives way better results. The milk, is cheap, I get it for 99 cents a can at walmart, but it doesn't give a very noticable result to hair, I prefer to make Indian food with it yum yum.

Also, Sally's Beauty Supply is a great place to find a good comb. Just look for one that doesn't have a seam in the middle of it.

For some cute, and inexpensive, hair sticks, look at Sally's (I got one of my favourite pairs from there, just cheap plastic, but perfect length) and if you have either Claire's Or Ardene in your area, they both sell them cheap as well.

bumblebums
September 30th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't spend a lot of money the 1st go around, just in case anything you buy doesn't work out. I spent 18 bucks on a BBB and it turned out my hair didn't respond well to BBB at all. Now I have an 18 dollar cat brush :)

That was my experience with my BBB, too. Except mine is now a dog brush! But even my dog doesn't seem to like it all that much.

Calaelen
September 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I am not sure, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't buy the coconut oil from the grocery store. You're supposed to get it at a health store or something. I think there's a difference between the goodness in the oil that goes in your hair and the stuff that you consume. I was actually thinking of picking up some at Wal-Mart, too. Where does everyone else buy theirs? At Wal-Mart, it's $7. .

The difference between some grocery store coconut oil, and some you may find in a health store is the process they use to extract the oil. For the diet, skin, or scalp, cold pressed coconut oil is far superior, as none of the beneficial acids and vitamins are broken down with heat.

That said, it is possible to find cold pressed coconut oil in grocery stores, just read the label.

Another thing to note is that for the hair, it isn't as important what method of extraction is used, as for the most part the oil is going on only the length (unless you're going to use it for a dandruff treatment). For this purpose, it isn't as important to have cold pressed oil with all the nutrients, as it wont benefit your hair any more or less.

Beatrix_Kiddo
September 30th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Oils! You could try coconut and hazelnut oil. For toys? Mmm, harmless rubber bands. I bought some of them yesterday and they are really good

Intransigentia
September 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Ha! It's payday for me tomorrow too and I was having the same thought! (Except that I went shopping last payday so my hair already has plenty of toys and potions, just that they haven't all arrived yet.)

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
These are all such good suggestions :)! I'm taking them down on a notepad to take with me to the store. Is there any oil/treatment in particular that will make hair really shiny/soft just for maybe even a day? Since i have homecoming on Saturday, I specifically need my hair really nice just for that occasion, so even something temporary I will invest in this once :p.

bumblebums
September 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM
These are all such good suggestions :)! I'm taking them down on a notepad to take with me to the store. Is there any oil/treatment in particular that will make hair really shiny/soft just for maybe even a day? Since i have homecoming on Saturday, I specifically need my hair really nice just for that occasion, so even something temporary I will invest in this once :p.

Pick up some aloe vera gel (as close to 100% as possible) and honey so you can do an SMT.

BrightEyes7
September 30th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I second (or third or fourth or whatever) getting the coconut oil over the milk. I got mine for like $5 at wal-mart. It's in the cooking oil section. FYI- coconut oil is a solid and comes in a plastic or glass jar not a bottle. I didn't know that at first and kept missing it. Just scrap a little off with your nail and rub between palms to melt. You'll need less than you think. Apply to wet/damp hair. Oils help hold in moisture. They don't moisturize.

Also BBB, they distribute oil and make it shiny but don't use it daily and never on wet hair!!

Hairsticks, I couldn't use them until I had like BSL hair. So I don't know if it'll work for you. But I just saw some really cute ones at Claire's for $4.50 for a pair.

I got my wide tooth comb at Wal-Mart for like $2. It isn't as good quality as most people here use but it works for me!

For a deep conditioning to make your hair super soft and shiny may I suggest Aussie's 3 minute miracle. It is a deep conditioner and it works great. Smells great too!

Hope I helped!

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Pick up some aloe vera gel (as close to 100% as possible) and honey so you can do an SMT.

-writes- GOT IT! So i have cold pressed coconut oil, Etsy (online but i wrote it down anyways), comb without seams, 100% aloe vera (clear, right?), honey.. am I missing anything :p?

catysue
September 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM
For your first hair stick, I would suggest a Ketylo

http://www.ketylo.com/servlet/StoreFront

they are inexpensive, sturdy, beautiful and comfortable.

Amraann
September 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I am not sure what coconut MILK does BUT you can also find it on the Alcohol isle of your grocery store. It will be were the drink mixes are. (like the premade bloody Mary, margarita mixes)

Coconut oil can be bought at the grocery store. Sometimes it is not with cooking oil but in the Health food/ organic section.
Just make sure it says Organic on it and you will be fine. It is about 7$

I found Aloe (100%) drying to my hair but my husband LOVES it as a replacement for hair gel.
It may not have really dried my hair but it did make it stiff until I washed it out.

As for switching banks...

Most banks will let you apply for an account online.
You may have to run in during your lunch hour and show ID.
But all the rest can be done online and then you can get the form from your employer to change your direct deposit.

All you need to do is leave enough in your current account in order to use your card to fund the start up of your new account:)

Kome
September 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
If the boar brush is good for your hair then get it. Everyone's hair is different, so keep trying things and find out what's best for you. Hair toys... you can find some REALLY good hair toys on Etsy for decent prices. There is one company on there that has really expensive stuff, but I skip over them. Hehe.

Kome
September 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I am not sure, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't buy the coconut oil from the grocery store. You're supposed to get it at a health store or something. I think there's a difference between the goodness in the oil that goes in your hair and the stuff that you consume. I was actually thinking of picking up some at Wal-Mart, too. Where does everyone else buy theirs? At Wal-Mart, it's $7.

I bought my boar bristle brush from Sally's. It helps distribute the oils in your hair. It doesn't destroy it. You just have to make sure it's detangled before you use the brush. I use mine before I wash my hair because it gets really greasy.

I got my coconut oil in the african hair section at Walmart for $2.33. It's in a JAR hiding at the bottom of the shelves- at my store anyways. They have other ones, but they have a bunch of other crap in them and are like 6 or 7 dollars. The $2 one only had coconut oil and one other ingredient in it. :)

bumblebums
September 30th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I got my coconut oil in the african hair section at Walmart for $2.33. It's in a JAR hiding at the bottom of the shelves- at my store anyways. They have other ones, but they have a bunch of other crap in them and are like 6 or 7 dollars. The $2 one only had coconut oil and one other ingredient in it. :)

This is why people buy food-grade coconut oil. There is only one ingredient, and you know exactly what it does to your hair. Plus, you can make delicious vegan chocolate truffles with it if you buy the unrefined stuff. That was my problem the first time I bought it, I ate it all before I got a chance to use it on my hair and skin!

melikai
September 30th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Catysue said what I was going to suggest - Ketylo's are great hairsticks, a favourite around here, and inexpensive. They'll last much more than a cheap plastic stick from Claire's, and are only about $4 more. :)

PrincessBob
September 30th, 2010, 04:18 PM
jojoba oil is at Trader Joes from 6.50-8.50 a bottle.

Hylia
September 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Oh nice, this is the question I ask myself every paycheck too after joing LHC. What hair products shall I get with this paycheck :P

I`d say rather than getting coconut milk, you should try coconut oil, I use it every single day and hair and my body and it smells great and is a good moisturizer.

And for hair toys, clips and whatnot I would suggest going on etsy since they have so many cute hair stuff. This week i`ve been debating on a floral hair comb or twig hair clips.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57569134/northern-lights-a-lilac-rose-comb

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57288002/woodland-nymph-mossy-tiny-twig-hair-pins?ref=sr_gallery_18&ga_search_query=twig+hair&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

and I just bought 4 shampoo bars!

and for the jojoba oil, I don't really know if it is that great of a hair oil, I know it is expensive. But what I do to save money is I mix a cheap carrier oil like olive oil and put a couple of drops of essential oil to make it smell good. I find olive oil works really good on my hair. But then again everyone`s hair is different.

Shany
September 30th, 2010, 06:37 PM

For shopping online, you can create a paypal account and ''connect'' it to your bank account instead of using your credit card. But still, it doesn't solve your hate for your bank (sorry if this sentence doesn't make sense)... You are lucky to find all the places mentionned in your area, here I can't find any hairstick, nice hair toys and hair-friendly combs. Even 100% boar bristle brushes are very hard to find.

You can use coconut oil as a light leave-in and protect your ends, but you can't do that with milk.

JuneBride
September 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
On top of having a satin pillow, I then purchased some satin scrunchies...you might wanna look into some satin products, they don't seem to be expensive (not like silk) and they seem to offer enough "slip"

ETA:

I just stumbled on this quote from you...THANKS!!! I have been looking for some direction about hair sticks. I just hope I have enough hair to use one...

I didn't want to buy a super expensive one or set and then realize my hair isn't ready yet!

Jessica Trapp
September 30th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Mason Pearson hair combs.