PDA

View Full Version : Please confirm or debunk this hair myth

marla
May 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The mainstream hair industry tells us that if you don't cut off your raggedy damaged ends, the damage will travel up the hair shaft. Is this true? I have like 2 inches at the bottom that look REALLY BAD. I want to get rid of it but not until I have gained a few more inches. Is this counterproductive? I can live with it a few more months but I don't want to wait if pretty soon my bad 2 inches is going to turn into bad 4 inches.

Amara
May 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
If they are bad enough that they are tangling, you very well might end up damaging more of your hair as you try to do normal things like finger comb or put your hair up.

If you're able to keep them untangled and moisturized, I imagine that the damage wouldn't travel much, or if it did it would be pretty slow. How about instead of waiting to gain a few inches before you chop your 2 inches, trim just 1/2 inch, wait for an inch to grow, trim another 1/2 inch...

Riot Crrl
May 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Like almost every adage about hair, it has the potential to be true and the potential to be false.

Some describe splits splitting inches and inches up their hair, and I believe them. I've never had that happen myself. My hair would never have the symmetry to split that evenly, lol. If mine is going to break off, it just breaks off where it wants to.

Tap Dancer
May 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think that can be true for splits. It's best to snip those as you find them.

Nightshade
May 24th, 2008, 06:43 PM
In my case, anyway, it was true. My hair was too damaged, and all the damage bred tangles, which bred more spits. It wasn't until I started treating my hair nice and skimming a bit off the bottom each month that my hair grew. Well, that isn't true, it was always growing, I could tell because I dye my hair and had roots, but at that point it stopped breaking off faster than it was growing. The clean ends tangled less and reduced the amount of damage and breakage :)

marla
May 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I've decided to take off an inch. Wasn't there a thread somewhere about how to cut your own hair? I won't go to a salon ever again.

Accolady
May 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Marla,

Just a mention, merely cutting hair won't help if one does not
change the habits that created the bad ends in the first place.

Not saying you haven't, just thought I would mention it for
others.

I've seen some pretty bad hair in the area where I live.
Trimming chunks of bad hair typically results in shorter bad hair.
There are times I hear women talking about chopping off their
hair to make it 'healthier', but I am not sure how they would take
it if I just approached them with a hair sermon, LOL.

A good trim combined with good hair habits is a good thing.

:-) Karen Marie

marla
May 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Hi Marla,

Just a mention, merely cutting hair won't help if one does not
change the habits that created the bad ends in the first place.

others.

I've seen some pretty bad hair in the area where I live.
Trimming chunks of bad hair typically results in shorter bad hair.
There are times I hear women talking about chopping off their
hair to make it 'healthier', but I am not sure how they would take
it if I just approached them with a hair sermon, LOL.

A good trim combined with good hair habits is a good thing.

:-) Karen Marie

I know that. Since I joined this forum I have eliminated blow frying, eliminated chemical dyes, reduced shampoos, been cognizant of dangerous hair-pulling styles, etc. You're preaching to the choir. :)

TheSpottedCow
May 24th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with others that it can. I had bad ends that broke off as fast as they grew from bleach, but the damage didnt really travel up faster than my hair grew, so it always lingered at the bottom few inches. However, I have known people whose splits move up faster than that. And now my dye is grown out, so I have virgin hair with some natural dryness and splits at the end, and those do not move up at all.

Id say it depends on the quality and treatment of the rest of your hair. Even if you stopped treating it badly, the residual damage can make it weak. If I were you I would try to grow it, but if you see any signs that the splits are moving up or the hair appears to not be growing, just go for the trim.

Accolady
May 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM
others.

Hi Marla,

There are often lurkers on boards, just wanted to mention
care and cutting.

Glad you have learned well and are on your way to whatever
length you desire. :)

zaftig2k
May 24th, 2008, 11:10 PM
The mainstream hair industry tells us that if you don't cut off your raggedy damaged ends, the damage will travel up the hair shaft. Is this true? .

It is true for some and not others. Hair is not the same. If you have damaged, weak or fine hair, then damage can travel up the hair shaft. However, if your hair is genetically strong (never colored or permed) then it is possible that a little damage on the ends could stay just that. It is truly individual, and needs to be assessed on an individual basis.

CurlyOne
May 24th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I tried growing my hair out a long time ago before I learned how to properly care for it. I was raking through it with my brush, and really just killing it. The bottom 3 inches were all splits so in my case, yes, they will travel up. To keep it from happening I had to totally change how I cared for my hair.

Irishred
May 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Not sure if the damage travel as much as it can be the cause of addition damage if not for preventative measures.

For me, I S&D about once a week and have started back to regular trims. I oil, condition, comb gently, don't use color, perms or much heat. Splits get missed or something may cause some like a tie or clip and even with gentle treatment, will split more and more up the shaft. I also get single strand little knots near the ends. All this makes additional tangles and make it harder to get 'regular' tangles out which ads up to addition damage and possible more up the length.

Electronika
May 24th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I think its a matter of personal preference. I cut mine when it was damaged and there was a layer (yes, one) I just found it was bothering me so much that it was worth it in the end to have piece of mind.

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think it depends on the type of hair.

Gladtobemom
May 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM
For me, splits can definitely travel upward. Snipping off the splits and searching my hair for those in-line white dots where the hair has sort of exploded helps lots.

I've learned that when my hair gets tangly, I need to clarify and deep condition. Then it goes back to normal.

What's incredible is that I just don't find many splits anymore. I credit LHC, I'm much kinder to my hair now.

missmanytoes
May 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Marla,

Here is that link you wanted.

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Leisa
May 25th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I've learned that when my hair gets tangly, I need to clarify and deep condition. Then it goes back to normal.

What's incredible is that I just don't find many splits anymore. I credit LHC, I'm much kinder to my hair now.
[/quote]

I agree Gladtobemom:)
Now that I'm treating my hair better, split ends are not really an issue. I've found that conditioning my hair with oil has made my ends more soft and less tangly. And of course not letting residue build up on the hair which dries it out.

But about the question asked, do they travel up the hair, I don't know? I do think that if you have hair that looks really bad you should cut it off. Why keep hair that looks bad? I think its best to start growing ones hair with healthy hair.:)

marla
May 25th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Marla,

Here is that link you wanted.

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

Thank you!

marla
May 25th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Why keep hair that looks bad? I think its best to start growing ones hair with healthy hair.:)

I know isn't it ridiculous for me to cling to this messy 2 inches! I guess I'm hoping I can improve the condition but I think its a lost cause. Its the remnants of a disastrous salon straightening job and chemical dye.

wintersun99
May 25th, 2008, 06:02 PM