PDA

View Full Version : Being Known For Your Hair

WaitingSoLong
September 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Are you known for your hair?

Do you WANT to be known for your hair?

I think somewhere after waist length I started to become known for my hair. Meaning, I am "that lady with the long blonde hair" and I began to wonder, is that how I want to be known?

Now I seem to be "the lady who does those weird hairstyles" LOL, because I have yet to see another LHC style anywhere in the wild around here.

My husband and I were talking about growing old, and I pictured myself with floor length grey tresses and thought, when I die, people will say that lady with the really long hair died. Maybe I need to plan how it will be arranged in my coffin? Should my tombstone read "Rapunzel"?

But I am not sure if I want to be known for my hair, I mean, I am a whole person of course, but then again, it IS nice to have a distinguishing feature, it makes up for my face LOL. I could go get some tattoo on my face and be distinguished, but that is not my thing. There is something about the patience, the time and care involved in growing and maintaining long hair that more accurately says "This is me". I am patient. I don't need quick fixes. I am faithful and not prone to impulse actions.

And, Ok, I like the compliments, too.

UltraBella
September 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I am definitely known around here for my big mane of hair, I don't mind at all. It's flattering and everyone is always very kind.

capelli lunghi
September 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I don't know if I'm known for my hair.. although, I don't think I would mind it. I love my hair and I think it looks nice. It is something that I am happy with about myself physically.

I do think that people tend to distinguish others by their physical traits if they do not know someone well. Friends would probably more likely describe someone by their personality traits. So, as far as strangers recognizing you as "the one with the long hair".. Don't let it bother you. My friends know who I am.. and what really matters.. regardless of hair length.

My mom has always had long hair. She had had people she went to school with come up to her 20+ years later and recognize her because of her hair. We both thought that was neat!

EdG
September 29th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'm known for my hair.

It's not problematic except when people that I rarely meet instantly recognize me, and I have no idea who they are.
Ed

WaitingSoLong
September 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I'm known for my hair.

It's not problematic except when people that I rarely meet instantly recognize me, and I have no idea who they are.
Ed

LOL! That WOULD be a problem! Wow Ed, I have never run across you here before! Awesome hair!

Carolyn
September 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I don't mind being known for my hair at all. I kind of like it. We all have distinguishing physical traits. I think long hair is a good one to be known for.

Malibu Barbie
September 29th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Yep , I'm known as the lady with the long blonde hair. Sometimes I get tired of the whispers, "Oh my, look at that hair...."

Bene
September 29th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I don't think I'm known for my hair. I'm known for wearing buns and hairtoys that are unusual, in comparison to scrunchies and clips.

A few years ago, after a drastic hair cut (and horrendous DIY dye job), I ran into a friend from high school at a bar. After much hugging and gossiping, he was talking to the friend I was with who asked him to spill the beans about what kind of teenager I wasl. He kind of sighed and said "She had the most beautiful long hair". I totally laughed at that since my hair was only about BSL and always frizzy.

EdG
September 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
LOL! That WOULD be a problem! Wow Ed, I have never run across you here before! Awesome hair!Thanks! You have awesome hair WaitingSoLong! :)

Come to think of it, I would recognize a lot of LHCers in real life. :cheese:
Ed

kmoc123
September 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM
My hair is ONE of the things I am known for...I am proud of this!!!

boomtownrat
September 29th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I don't know if my hair is something I'm known for yet, but I imagine it will be as it grows longer. There aren't many people my age with silver hair! That doesn't bother me. It does kind of bother me when people act like it's some kind of affliction, but that hasn't happened much... yet.

McFearless
September 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I've always wanted to have a signature(im lame i know). Some people are known for certain features, or a perfume or style. I'd love to be known as the chick with the Hair.

Anje
September 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I think it's getting that way. I've got a rather unusual name, but ended up with another woman of the same name working in my lab this summer. Labmates suggested that I could be known as the "long-haired" one.

RadiantNeedle
September 29th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Hmm. I think that's one constant in my life, being known for my hair. I was generally ahead of the trends, doing things that would suddenly crop up on celebrities 6 months to a year later. I think that was a cause of a lot of frustration because I'd then feel like I needed to change my style so that people don't assume I just copied X Famous Person. Like most teens and early 20s I wanted to be 'unique!' and 'different!'. I suppose I was.. I taught people how to do various styles, was constantly asked if I was a hairdresser and had people come up and compliment me regularly.

I think the downside of this 'infamy' is the devastation I feel when I see how much hair I've lost and am still losing. My hair has become such an integral part of my identity, something that is the most obvious display of who I am. So, losing it feels like I'm losing myself.
Of course, this all sounds exceedingly vain, but I can't deny it's a harrowing thing and its compounding my social phobias to the point where I don't want to see people who knew me when my hair was thick and long and bright pink and in crazy styles and standing out. I feel so small and bland and unattractive now, where before it gave me so much more confidence.

So I dread that I might become known for being that woman who USED to have amazing hair...

Jadewtch
September 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't think I'm known for my hair because I'm always wearing it up and no one ever sees it. :scared: I wouldn't mind if they did though, because it's been a lot of work and patience to get it this long and I'm pretty proud of it. :D

Quixii
September 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I somewhat known from my hair. People definitely notice it, and sometimes I'll get referred to as "the young lady with the pretty hair." I don't know how much I'm only known for my hair, though.

MissManda
September 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I had quite long hair when I was a child and I was very proud to be known for my hair because so many people (except my grandmother) liked it. Now that my hair has started to creep past waist-length and that I no longer have wispy ends (yay for self-trimming!), my friends are starting to make the "Your hair is so long!" and "I want long hair like yours!" comments, which makes me feel wonderful because I know I'm getting my hair back. :D

pepperminttea
September 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I don't think I am, but I do wear my hair up the vast majority of the time. The thing I'm known for is probably my weight, sadly, but in the future, who knows; there's worse things than being "the fat long-haired one." :D

Jules diamond
September 30th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I'm not quite long enough yet to be known for mine, but if I ever was, I hope it would all be nice things.

Aleria
September 30th, 2010, 12:15 AM
All of my TA's and professors in small classes this semester learned my name very fast. While it's possible this is simply just because I tend to offer my opinions and ask questions often, I wouldn't be the least surprised if they remembered me as "The one with the turquoise (or green, as most people tend to see it) streaks"
My length isn't all that special though.

Dragon
September 30th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I would like to be knowen by my hair instead of being knowen by the way I dress.

FrannyG
September 30th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Obviously I'm not known for my hair, as it's not unusually long yet, although I suppose it is longer than the hair of most women of my age in real life.

Given my hair type and thickness, I don't think I'll ever be known for my hair, even if I reach my ultimate goal length of tailbone.

I think I'll only ever be known for my hair on the internet. :)

BelleBot
September 30th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I've always been known for my hair as it's always been long.
I've been known as the girl with really long hair.
The girl with long pink hair.
The girl with lots of pretty things sticking out of her hair (most recent because of my updos and hairtoys)

When I cut my hair to BSL I stopped being known as the girl with long hair which kind of saddened me. I'm never going short again!

tarn
September 30th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I am generally known as 'the one married to DH' I guess it is because he is more of 'the life of the party' personality type. being known for my hair would be a definate upgrade :beercheer:

MerryKat
September 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
When my eldest son was enrolled at school we went to the first parents meeting and I was astounded when one of the teachers came up behind me and greeted me with - "There is only one person with hair like that!" I had not seen her in over 18 years and she still recognised my hair!

So I guess, I can say Yes, I am known for and by my hair.

CrisDee
September 30th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I've been known for a long time as the girl with the pretty red hair - even when it was chemically dyed. I can't wait until it gets long again - with it now 100% henna, I can't even imagine how pretty it'll be :) But by that time, I might choose to keep it up, and keep the "pretty" only for me!

Maddy25
September 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I've never been known for the length of my hair, but for the colours. I always had some sort of funky coloured hair in college, and I would change it often so one week I could have pink hair and the next black hair. I was very well known for that and teachers used to joke about it a lot.

akka naeda
September 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I have been at various times
"DD's mum/your sister/Mrs Naeda's daughter/
the one with the shaved head
the one with the purple/blue/green streaks
the one with red (they meant henna in sunlight) and purple hair
the one with really long hair
the one who wears her hair up all the time"

I also get
"I always recognise you because you have such a long plait, and while it's the same colour as xyz's your hair is longer and thicker."

breezefaerie
September 30th, 2010, 07:36 AM
-I am generally known as 'the one married to DH' I guess it is because he is more of 'the life of the party' personality type. being known for my hair would be a definate upgrade

Me too. Everyone seems to know my partner. :)
I'm content in the background though.

excentricat
September 30th, 2010, 07:47 AM
I have so many friends and co-workers with bsl hair that I have a lot of growing to do before I can be known for my hair length. I wouldn't mind being known as the girl with the pretty hair styles though, all I ever see are pony tails or half through pony-buns.

Braidmaid
September 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Because I'm growing my hair, and it grows rather fast, and because I wear headcoverings a lot, I'm known for my hair. Mostly though, I hear that I'm my own person, and I'm not afraid to be different. I like that.

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Nope, but I'd like to be. My hair has never been really long, or really extraordinary in the sense that it's always been rather plain :). Of course I'd like to change that. Rather, I'm known for my eyes, because sometimes they look green, sometimes blue, sometimes grey. If you look at the photos in my album I think you can see this XD. Silly eyes.

JenniferNoel
September 30th, 2010, 08:10 AM
People tend to remember me by my "agouti hair" - I have a funky tendency to end up with horizontal stripes of various colors. Right now, it's dark at the ends, then a bright, 2-inch red-orange stripe towards the top-middle, then dark burgundy above that. I intend to continue harvesting horizontal stripes.

Rennire
September 30th, 2010, 08:12 AM
In my family I'm known for my long hair and to everyone else I'm known as the girl who does fancy things to her hair/thinks she is some kind of princess. =P I don't mind one bit!

enfys
September 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Yup, I'm known for my hair.

People who I only met once will do a squinty look at me for a second then go "the one with the hair!" when they try to figure out what they know me from. I prefer wearing more elaborate styles when I'm going out and obviously beer goggles are kind to my hair.

Before I met DH's family for the first time, they all asked his grandmother what I was like. She informed them "pretty with very long brown hair". Thanks NIL (Nana in Law).

sally_neuf
September 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
When I was at school, my hair was between BSL and waist, and when I have bumped into one of my former highschool classmates they recognize my hair like "Ohh wow.. your hair is so short.. will you ever gorw it again? you had beautiful long hair!" (This was when I had a pixie)

Yes, yes they encourage me :D I can not go without drawing attention, and when I have my long long hair is going to be twice as fun :cheese:

Caldonia Sun
September 30th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I probably am recognized at places I frequent because of my hair. It's not that it's so long (APL) but the color is silvery white and I wear it down often. I know I'm known for it at church and possibly in my neighborhood because I walk every day.

LaurelSpring
September 30th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I'd like to be known for my hair. Im working on it. Now that its waist I feel its a bit more noteworthy. Of course, posting an LHC worthy picture on Facebook might have helped. :eyebrows:

Theobroma
September 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM
When I was a child I was the only kid in the class with waist-length braids, so I really stood out!

It's been closer to waist length all my adult life, but that's still unusually long by most standards. Some time ago I sent an email to someone I'd lost track of about twenty years ago and got a reply along the lines of "Oh, it's you! Do you still have your beautiful long hair?"

I guess that counts for being known for my hair... :)

cmnt831
September 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I can't say that I'm known for my hair, nor do I want to be. I've gotten compliments on it, but that's about it. I can't imagine a world in which people know me or refer to me by my hair, even though I love it myself. :D

Katurday
September 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'm known as the loudmouth girl with far too many opinions. I don't think my hair has the chance to make an impression, my mouth is already taking that slot.

Calaelen
September 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
In my area I'm known for my hair as well, and I like that I am one of very few in my area with very long hair.

In my close circles though, my hair is not my distinguishing feature at all, I am known for my personality, my quirky often dirty sense of humour, my collections, my knowledge, my singing, or my fashion sense, which is definitely unique.

Ludde
September 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I am pretty known. For many reasons. For many years. The hair is just another thing that is a tad off and socially non-smooth.

Sagi1982
September 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yes. I'm known as "the big with the black braid". :D
I'm tall, fat and mostly sporting a braid, so this suits me.

Liss
October 1st, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm not known for my hair.

I wish I was, becuase that would imply that my hair is stunningly noteworthy.

Oh well, with some patience and care things might change with time.

slz
October 1st, 2010, 06:21 AM
At my length you definitely are - I'm "the prof. with the long hair". It used to be that, and the dogs (had an army of pugs with me everywhere I went, hehehe).
I don't mind, since my hair is something I'm rather proud of, so no false modesty here.

luxepiggy
October 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Indeed! (^(oo)^)v

It's gotten to the point where I've sort of internalized it, so if I'm having a meeting with someone who doesn't know what I look like, I tell them to look for an "Asian girl with really long hair & stilettos." Seems to work pretty well, nobody's missed me yet!

I figure if I'm not going to be known for my hair, I'm still going to end up being known for my shoes, or my jewelry, or what have you. I like the fact that my hair is intrinsically part of me, so nobody else can copy that part of my look the way they might copy my clothes or other things (^(oo)^)v

punkcatknitter
October 1st, 2010, 08:09 AM
When I was a little girl I was known for my hair. It was always waist or longer so I was the girl with the long blonde hair.

Right now I think I'm probably the shy girl (girl who doesn't talk much, the girl with the anxiety disorder, ect) or the girl who loves kids.

I can't wait to be the girl with the long hair again.

kabelaced
October 1st, 2010, 08:13 AM
Back in high school when my hair was about BSL, a lot of people knew me as the "girl with the long hair." Some of my friends still talk about it! :P My color (before henna) was also kind of unique, so people more often say something about that than the length.

I feel kind of weird to be known as the "long haired girl" or something. I'm me, and my hair is a part of me, not...the defining factor of me. I'd like that to be the things I say and do, not the way that I look.

KittyLost
October 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm not known for the length of my hair but of the unnatural colours in it.

It's nice but when I get rid of them I feel sad when people tell me that without my colours I'm not "me" :(

It's strange how people link your hair to your personality or identity.

WaitingSoLong
October 1st, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'd like to be known for my hair. Im working on it. Now that its waist I feel its a bit more noteworthy. Of course, posting an LHC worthy picture on Facebook might have helped. :eyebrows:

I posted an LHC pic on my FB page once and got negative comments. Not about my hair, but that I would take pictures of JUST my hair. Apparently that is weird to most people. Then it gets all gossipy til my son comes to me one day and said "hey mom, I hear you have a lot of pictures of your hair on FB". I was like... a lot? I have ONE? I mean, my hair is in all my pics because it's attached to me but I only had ONE hair only pic. SIGH. I took the pic off FB.
It is envy. It just has to be ;)
I continue to find it fascinating how one's perspective of long hair changes. When I first started growing my hair long again, I had an old picture of myself I wanted to look like again. Now that length hair seems so short to me now. And even now, I do not consider myself to have really long hair, just long hair. KNEE is really long hair. To me. I also recall when I fist started growing again, when I hit about BSL I started getting the "your hair is getting so long" coments. After hip length they changed to "you hair is beautiful". I prefer THAT. :D

WaitingSoLong
October 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM
It's strange how people link your hair to your personality or identity.

And I do this to myself as well. I think it has officially become part of who I am and unless I go completely bald, I will never cut it off.

JamieLeigh
October 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
I've always been known for being "the one with the long hair". Actually just this past Monday, someone I hadn't seen in awhile saw me from behind at my kids' parent-teacher conference thing, and I had my hair loose. I heard "Hey Jamie!!!" Lol...I'd rather be known for this than for whatever else unflattering and superficial the world could come up with. ;)

kitschy
October 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
Last night I went to a meeting. I missed the first meeting and last night was the second one, so the group had met without me the previous week

Not all of us in the group were well acquainted but knew each other by sight and possibly first name - so when I missed the first meeting and the attendees were doing introductions and noting the missing members, they mentioned me.

One of the members said, "I'm not sure who she is."

Another of the members said, "She is the one with hair on steroids."

That comment got back to me last night and I had to LOL! Hair on steroids - yep that pretty much sums it up! :silly:

RoseRedDead
October 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM
I am definitely starting to be known for my hair... :D I like it.

sibiryachka
October 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks to this thread, I now have a commercial jingle from a 1974 Breck cream rinse commercial stuck in my head: "Be 'the girl with the hair' "... Aaaaand I have totally dated myself.

LittleOrca
October 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
I am known for my hair to some, but not everyone. I don't have a lot of close friends as my time does not really allow me to have any outside a computer. It is might convenient to talk to friends from all over the world when you are doing homework. ;)

My classmates, at least the ones from last year, know about my hair but they also know so many other things about me that I am not sure any of them automatically leaps to the conclusion "Lady with the hair." More of them probably go "Lady with the harp" or "Lady with the tail." The new classmates for this year had no idea, as I have only worm my hair up, so they might think of me as "That lady who had that heart thingie in her head (heart braid)" or
"The lady with the different styles," but until the last day they wont have a clue ;)

BrightEyes7
October 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah... I think I am.

Every time I go see any one (friends, family,etc) and I'm wearing my hair down thats all they talk about. How long my hair is. I kinda like it! :o

Little_Bird
October 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
I am completely known for my hair and for my love for long hair. I am teased by most people to cut my hair off. I hate that.

At school I know there's a guy who looks at me with this face, and he seems to have labeled me as "Little Pony". Little does he know that I actually collect them.

I don't care. I love my hair more than most people love theirs.. you know the feeling right?...

halo_tightens
October 1st, 2010, 01:08 PM
When I was a little girl I was known for my hair. It was always waist or longer so I was the girl with the long blonde hair.

Right now I think I'm probably the shy girl (girl who doesn't talk much, the girl with the anxiety disorder, ect) or the girl who loves kids.

I can't wait to be the girl with the long hair again.

My classmates, at least the ones from last year, know about my hair but they also know so many other things about me that I am not sure any of them automatically leaps to the conclusion "Lady with the hair." More of them probably go "Lady with the harp" or "Lady with the tail." The new classmates for this year had no idea, as I have only worm my hair up, so they might think of me as "That lady who had that heart thingie in her head (heart braid)" or
"The lady with the different styles," but until the last day they wont have a clue ;)

Sorry, heading off-topic for just a sec... :D

I'm suddenly reminded of the South Park episode where the "goth kids" get tired of being mistaken for "vampire kids" and go back to a mainstream appearance. Stripped of their "goth" identity, they're then called (something like) "the fat girl, the big-nosed kid, the midget, and the kid with pockmarks on his face," by another kid.

Yes, it's irrelevant-- unless some of us (like me...) might be intentionally cultivating nicer identifying characteritics than the ones we were born with! :whistle:

luxepiggy
October 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
Sorry, heading off-topic for just a sec... :D

I'm suddenly reminded of the South Park episode where the "goth kids" get tired of being mistaken for "vampire kids" and go back to a mainstream appearance. Stripped of their "goth" identity, they're then called (something like) "the fat girl, the big-nosed kid, the midget, and the kid with pockmarks on his face," by another kid.

Yes, it's irrelevant-- unless some of us (like me...) might be intentionally cultivating nicer identifying characteritics than the ones we were born with! :whistle:

I much prefer being the Girl with Long Hair vs. the Really Short Girl, or the Girl Who's Always Overdressed (^(oo)^)v

Actually I believe I wore my hair up during my university orientation week (it was really hot weather) and I was apparently known as the Girl Who Always Wears Stilettos . . . every once in a while I'd meet someone in class junior or even senior year, and they'd go "oh! you're the girl in stilettos right?" :rolleyes:

Chestershire
October 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
I guess people always do that. If it's not the hair, then it is 'with the big nose', or 'the different style of clothing' people always talk that way about people they don't know personally, I think

Capybara
October 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
I am, although it's not my defining feature/characteristic. I'm known for my hair, among other things :)

little_cherry
October 1st, 2010, 05:17 PM
Nah..not well known for anything, really.

Maybe well known for being a wall flower...lol.

nemileo
October 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
punkcatknitter (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=29846) , they just don`t know you! ;) I bet you are an amazing girl!

I used to go by as "The girl with the hair", but it was not because of the length, but because of the altitude... I use to have short hair witch I continued wearing stright up in the air even though it was far to long. And the back coumbing ended up in very large dread locks as time went by. I looked very, very crazy. But when I got rid of my dreads I missed being the "hairy" girl though. I hope I can hear that one day again, but this time because of healthy and long hair :) You all diserve the credit though, because you all have very, very pretty hair. I am looking for beautiful hair every day, and it could be weeks between spottings of beautiful hair at the bus.

charalito
October 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM
I've always been known for my hair because strawberry blonde is rare in Mexico, so I'm used to it. In highschool I was voted best hair of my class and it really boosted my ego :)

Now I want to be the girl with the long long exotic reddish hair :)

punkcatknitter
October 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM
punkcatknitter (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=29846) , they just don`t know you! ;) I bet you are an amazing girl!

Thank you so much!

The people that know me well just call me weird. :D

luxepiggy
October 1st, 2010, 06:51 PM
I've always been known for my hair because strawberry blonde is rare in Mexico, so I'm used to it. In highschool I was voted best hair of my class and it really boosted my ego :)

Now I want to be the girl with the long long exotic reddish hair :)

Even though I've never seen your hair, that just sounds too cool!! :cheese:

JesusFreak88
October 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I'm called Repunzel by this one girl at my school. It is awsome.

Cupofmilk
October 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
I used to be when my hair was properly long ie TB+. Currently, I have average ish long hair if that makes sense and on LHC terms I have short long hair.
I spent a lot of time in hospitals over the last 3 years and people always ask about my hair.

ScarlettAdelle
October 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
I'd love to be "the girl with the super long hair".. I assume that because I tend to wear it curly when it's down I don't get as many comments on it anymore. I believe in a year or so I'll again be "the girl with the long hair" and working my way to "the girl with the really long hair" and eventually to "that girl with the super long hair." My ultimate goal will be to be able to cosplay as Arwen convincably and without a wig, so "the girl with the lord of the rings hair" will also be appreciated :P

In hair school, when I was surrounded by girls with pixie cuts and a line bobs I was "the girl with the rediculously long hair she refuses to cut" but that's ok, because a few people I went to that school with are trying to grow their hair out and get to watch me comb mine as karma.

cuddledumplin
October 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Well, I was known for my hair even when it was short, so it's inevitable to me.

Alcenaia
October 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Are you known for your hair? Do you WANT to be known for your hair?
There is something about the patience, the time and care involved in growing and maintaining long hair that more accurately says "This is me". I am patient. I don't need quick fixes. I am faithful and not prone to impulse actions.

I'm known for my hair and I don't mind it. Occasionally there are creepies, but by and large it's compliments and interest.

These are all good thoughts. :nod:

jaine
October 2nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
This is probably the one thing that makes me hesitate about growing my hair long... At work I want to be known as the one who can fix any databae issue on the planet and the one who can solve any programming problem. I do NOT want to be known as the "girl with the hair."

And being known as "the girl with the pretty hair" would NOT make it any better for me. I still wouldn't want that at work. Socially maybe it would be ok but definitely not at work.

Even at shoulder length I'm wearing it up every day because I don't want to be known as "the girl with the big hair." It's kind of massive and thick and my supervisor comments on that when I wear it down. I'd much rather see him commenting on how quickly I fixed a bug.

Beatrice
October 2nd, 2010, 05:22 PM
Even at shoulder length I'm wearing it up every day because I don't want to be known as "the girl with the big hair." It's kind of massive and thick and my supervisor comments on that when I wear it down. I'd much rather see him commenting on how quickly I fixed a bug.

I know what you mean. A classmate and I were discussing our odd interests the other day, and decided we might just have to pretend to be normal for a few years, until we're well situated in our legal careers.

I'm not a proper long-hair yet, but I AM getting to be known as the girl who always wears her hair up, which is great! The other day I was out with a group, and I realized that my slightly-damp hair was not wanting to stay up. I worried out loud that I might have to take it down, and one of the guys expressed dismay that I might lose my trademark! :D

kmouse43
October 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
My hair is now past BSL and on its way to waist. I work with my hubby on appliance repairs and I go on calls with him 3 days a week. I also answer the phone to schedule appts, etc.
Well one day this lady called up and said, "The other day I had your technician here and he had this nice lady with long dark hair with him...." Obviously she didn't know that was me, but it made my day to hear her identify me by my long hair! It was also good to know I was considered nice too. I sometimes do not feel my hair is long, so what she said is exactly what I have been wanting to hear! Yay!!!! :cheese:

Stagecoach
October 2nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
I have too many weird things to be known for any one!

I wear skirts and dresses all the time, so I'm often known by that.
I have long hair, so folks know me by that.
I have political stickers on my car and often wear lapel pins for my latest candidate, so lots know me by that!

annibell
October 2nd, 2010, 08:05 PM
My hair is doing its own thing is for sure. I am known by my hair. My deaf friends use a big-curly sign as my nick name. I am proud of my long wild hair. After years of hair conformity in my youth, My long hair is one of my individualities.

Crackaleen
October 2nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
I think I'm known for my hair, particularly at work among my coworkers. I don't particularly mind.

Amraann
October 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM
When I was a child my hair was almost to my knees.
So I was definitely known for that.

Many years passed before I grew it long again. And now even though it is not to my knees.
TB
I am again known as the one with the long red hair. (of course it was blond when I was a child, I dye it red)

I am also known for other things so that one definition does not bother me.

JulietCapulet
October 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
All through high school and college...yes I was known for my very long thick shiny black hair. If I cut it...even people I never talk to before would ask me why I did such a thing?? The most popular girl in high school who I never spoke to before asked me once after I cut my hair why I had decided to do it. I was so shocked!

Now I don't think I am because I live in South FL where ever other girl has thick black hispanic hair like mine. But it's nice to see so much beautiful hair all the time because it is so inspiring!!

christine1989
October 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Even at waist length in high school I was never known for the length of my hair but there were numerous blonde Christines in my same year so I always ended up in classes with multiple Christines and Christinas. I became known as "Christine with the brown hair" when being referred to in class. For some reason I have never met anyone else with my name who is not blonde.

TeddyK
October 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
I am known for my hair at least at work since I am the only guy with long hair, I am the guy with the big red ponytail. And I suppose among friends I am also known for my hair, but in addition to other things. I guess I am alright with it since I do like my hair and it is understandable.

Cirafly24
October 3rd, 2010, 02:13 AM
I am not known for my hair. In fact, people never seem to notice it no matter what length, style, or color it is. There are other things about me that people tend to notice first. Foremost being my reserve. It's like a force field or something.

bte
October 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
I wasn't sure about the answer to this, but two days ago, I had a phone call from someone wanting information. She said -"Oh, are you the man with the ponytail I see walking the dog?".

So, yes!

Nera
October 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I am definitely known for my hair... Like most long haired curlies!

Nera
October 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Oh and I like it a lot btw(:

09robiha
October 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
I am the girl with the long curly red hair. Thats how people describe me to other people. Its annoying. Its like I have no other qualites.

girlcat36
October 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
I have been known in my circles as having 'unfortunate hair'.
An aquaintence once saw me and my sister together, and said, "I see who got the good hair in the family!" Uh, and it wasn't me.

My hair is in much better condition since joining LHC, and I hope to be known as the girl with the really long curly hair someday! :D

My hair is thin and frizzy, so gaining length would be the only way for it not to be 'unremarkable'.

restourceful
October 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM
Girlcat, I personally think your hair is gorgeous! Ringlets get me evey time. :crush:

My silver seems to be my calling card these days as far as hair goes. I'm only known by the length of my hair by my family since no one else sees it down for the most part. I wear it up outside of the house 99% of the time. In school I was the skinny-red-haired-freckle-faced girl. I'm glad that phase has passed, though I wouldn't mind having some of the skinny back.:cheese:

Lizlee
October 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
I have been known in my circles as having 'unfortunate hair'.
An aquaintence once saw me and my sister together, and said, "I see who got the good hair in the family!" Uh, and it wasn't me.

My hair is in much better condition since joining LHC, and I hope to be known as the girl with the really long curly hair someday! :D

My hair is thin and frizzy, so gaining length would be the only way for it not to be 'unremarkable'.

Girlcat, I think your hair looks beautiful and thanks to this site and all the cool people from the long hair community, your hair will become even better!
As for me, I love being known for my hair, atleast I am known for something. I am proud of it.

Emerald88
October 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Restourceful - your hair is amazingly beautiful! I love long silver hair and it is so rare to see. I don't know anyone (in real life, not the web, lol) who has hair longer than mine. I am definately known for it and everyone thinks I am crazy for not cutting it. On the one hand, the attention is nice sometimes, but on the other hand, the endless comments are sometimes annoying. Especially if they are about why you won't cut or when do you plan to, etc.

restourceful
October 3rd, 2010, 04:58 PM
Emerald88, thank you! :smooch::flowers:

noelgirl
October 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm known for my hair in some circles, although probably as much for the texture as for the length. Just last night, we had some friends over, and we got to talking about hair and my roommate commented that my hair is "so thick it could choke someone." Interesting way to put it, but it sounded like a compliment, lol.

WaitingSoLong
October 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I am amazed that so many people are *encouraged* to cut their long hair. I know this is it's own topic that has been discussed many times before on LHC but no one has EVER asked me when/if I am going to cut my hair. In fact, everyone is appalled if I mention it, and once when I had my hair up my MIL asked me fearfully if my hair "was all gone". There are some that do not seem to like my hair, but they don't say so. They are just the ones who NEVER EVER compliment my hair, even when I wear the really crazy up-do's. Not even a stylist has ever suggested I cut my hair.

When I go to the airport to pick someone up, I wear my hair down because then I am easy to spot. My face/figure is unremarkable, as are my clothes, so my hair is my only (good) outstanding feature. I am not sure I was known for anything before I grew my hair long. Maybe being skinny, tho I am not THAT skinny, but I guess thinner than average in my area. I have had many people compliment my figure, in an indirect way, tho I was never happy with it myself. I am pretty flat chested (tmi? lol) so my hair is a good distraction from that, because I feel that is all people used to notice. "The pretty girl with no boobs". ROFL. Can I say that?

HairFaerie
October 4th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I was known for my hair in grade school. It was tailbone length and I was the only girl with it that long.

As I got older and wore it short, I became known as "That *****ed up chick".

I think I would like to be known for my hair again (when it gets long).

With my luck, I will be known as "That *****ed up chick with the long hair"....

Carrie Ingalls
October 5th, 2010, 02:33 PM

I would say that I am know for my hair, but because I wear it up a lot often people are not aware of its true length. I don't really think of my hair defining me, but to others it probably does. My sister is also known for her long (mid calf length) curly hair. Our mother is largely responsible for our length because she never made us get our hair cut. But, she has voiced that she worries a little that other people may know us for our hair and not for who we really are.

I don't really mind being known for my hair, I think I am also known for other things too (origami, cookies,...etc). I do feel bad though when someone remembers my name and I have no idea what theirs is (or even where I know them from :o).

This is somewhat related, since my hair has never been significantly cut (see my "big chop" photo in my history album) I do some times ask myself "will I regret having not had short hair?" I'm not sure I really have an answer, but I know that for now it will stay long. It is kind of like asking how I truly define myself, what really matters. Saying I don't define myself by my hair is one thing while I still have it, but what if it were gone, would I still say that?

My husband and I were talking about growing old, and I pictured myself with floor length grey tresses and thought, when I die, people will say that lady with the really long hair died.
This line really jumped out at me, and I have been thought about it several time since I read it...hmm I want to steal this line and use it in my sig or something.

natt i nord
October 5th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Well, I think I am. :D For some reason I'm quite known at my school anyway, and as my hair is red, which is quite rare here, I think I might be known as 'the girl with the red hair'. My mother once told me, she told someone something about me and that girl she was talking to said 'Ah, I know who you mean, that girl with red hair?' So I think, yes, I am :D
But it doesn't bother me.

RachelRain
October 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I thought I responded to this but don't seem to see a post anywhere. Oh well.

I'm not known for it, as in addressed that way or described that way, but if I go out in public with it up, most people are surprised because it's usually down - especially when we go out somewhere.

There are worse things to be renowned for. I would take it in a heartbeat and run with it, because usually it's a sort of compliment. And even if it's not - change your own mindset to *make* it a compliment.

mwedzi
October 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Within the first week of starting my new job, 2 people from the internets emailed me and said they recognized me at metro stop from my Fotki and YouTube. It was flattering and odd.

MissMB
October 6th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Unfortunately I'd say about 60% of the people I know are dying for me to cut it off. But every time I see someone I know (if my hair is down) they comment on how much longer it has gotten. I have no idea if I'm known for it or not, probably not.

luxepiggy
October 6th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Ran into someone today who hasn't seen me since junior high, and he said "oh, you still do the sticks thing with your hair!" (^(oo)^)v

Chrissy
October 6th, 2010, 03:56 AM

I think somewhere after waist length I started to become known for my hair. Meaning, I am "that lady with the long blonde hair" and I began to wonder, is that how I want to be known?

Now I seem to be "the lady who does those weird hairstyles" LOL, because I have yet to see another LHC style anywhere in the wild around here.

My husband and I were talking about growing old, and I pictured myself with floor length grey tresses and thought, when I die, people will say that lady with the really long hair died. Maybe I need to plan how it will be arranged in my coffin? Should my tombstone read "Rapunzel"?

But I am not sure if I want to be known for my hair, I mean, I am a whole person of course, but then again, it IS nice to have a distinguishing feature, it makes up for my face LOL. I could go get some tattoo on my face and be distinguished, but that is not my thing. There is something about the patience, the time and care involved in growing and maintaining long hair that more accurately says "This is me". I am patient. I don't need quick fixes. I am faithful and not prone to impulse actions.

I can't wait to get to the point that people notice how long my hair is. I'm sure those close to you know you as you and not the lady with the long hair. :) I can't wait to turn heads with my hair. Some days I wonder if I'll ever get there.

jackiesjottings
October 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I was known for my hair when it was really long before, but I don't know if I am known for my hair now it is really long again though. But if I was known as little Jackie with the long hair, like I once was, I would be very happy :)) My hair has always been my one and only vanity.

rags
October 6th, 2010, 06:53 AM
My hair was down to my tailbone for most of my adult life, but I was never really known for it. I think because it's fine and thin. I doubt I'll ever be known for my hair, and that's okay. Everyone knows me as "the lady in the long skirts". :p

sakuraemily
October 6th, 2010, 06:59 AM
i'd love to be known for my hair. i get a few compliments nowadays.
i think tailbone length layers will look gorgeous when my hair grows that long.

LouLaLa
October 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Im becoming known for it (even though its only BSL) because I always do elaborate styles with it!

I think its very sweet but there are downsides too, such as my rant on the other thread about getting told to cut it for charity and having people want to touch it!

I suppose its nice to be known for something, although im also known for my fashion sense, a colleague said the office would combust if i ever turned up in jeans and a top :p (I hope she never sees me at weekends when im off duty!) but she also said she looks forward to seeing what Ill come up with next, so its all just fun isnt it and if it brings joy then great :)

All in all I suppose it makes people happy and with long hair while there are people who are negative I think real long hair (not extensions etc) is so rare that it does draw attention as most people dont have the patience to grow it.

MimiKeki
October 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I would love to be known as 'the girl with the long dark hair'.. That would be lovely.
Hair longer than waist is unknown in my city, and I rarely see waistlength here.. That is also a factor in being known for your hair - the people who surround you, and their hair.

When I reach tailbone, I will be so proud to wear it down. Egotistic, I know.. I just want to enjoy it, and feel free.

TinaDenali
October 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
I'd love to be known as having long and lovely hair. My hair is not quite long enough for that, but I'm still waiting :D

slythwolf
October 6th, 2010, 04:19 PM
All the other women on my team at work have shoulder length or shorter hair and wear it down. I am therefore "the girl with the bun". XD

2peasinapod
October 6th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Lucky posters who are known for their hair! I want to be known for mine, but right now I seem to be known for the scarves and hats I wear to cover my bad hair days!

Capybara
October 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I am, although it's not my defining feature/characteristic. I'm known for my hair, among other things :)

Funny story: Today, an acquaintice asked me a question, saying "Capybara, do you know how to (blahblahblah)?" Before I could answer, another person in our group (who I had not met before) said, "Who's Capybara?" To which the person adjacent to him replied, "The lady with the 8-foot long hair!"

Not quite - I've given up measuring until November, however I'm relatively sure I'm nowhere near 8 feet - but it sure was funny! :cheese:

candlesandfish
October 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
When I used to wear it down I was, I suppose I still am though people don't recognise me from the back as much now it's always in a bun. They'll get to recognise it though...I'm the only person on campus who wears these elaborate looking hairstyles :)

baaaad_kitty
October 7th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Sigh. When I was in grade school (what do you guys call it? grammar school? middle school?) I was known for my hair. It was down to my hips and my maid would fix it in a different way all the time. They called me Pocahontas LOL since that movie was just out then. Correction. Chinese Pocahontas hihi

Vermelha
October 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I was always known for my BIG, lush hair...it wasn't so much that it was long back then, it was just thick and huge. I wear it like that to make up for my hair being sparse. I love having full, lush hair, even moreso than having long hair.

liagibba
October 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I can't wait to be known for my hair! I think it'll happen when I get to waist and start doing really crazy cool looking buns :)

Cowgirl16
October 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I am known for my mane. At work I am referred to as "the one with the long braid" quite frequently. I don't mind it... I could be known for a lot worse!:D

shawty
October 15th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I've often been known for my hair, but not for it being long. I've had a mohawk a few times. =)
pics:
http://dailybooth.com/MayanDarko/5807291
http://dailybooth.com/MayanDarko/842290
http://dailybooth.com/MayanDarko/1582066

HintOfMint
October 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't say I'm known for my hair, but it does garner attention and it is one of my more striking characteristics.
However, on humid days, mine frizzes out more than anyone's. I'll be sitting in class with what can only be described as a very angry animal on my head. No one else has hair that big on humid days and yes, I checked, and yes, people notice.:p

Naturel
October 16th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I am generally known as 'the one married to DH' I guess it is because he is more of 'the life of the party' personality type. being known for my hair would be a definate upgrade :beercheer:

You're funy dear :lol:

<3OnHerSleeve
October 16th, 2010, 02:58 AM
After being known for my hair being shaved off for a while, then being bullied when it grew back because my hair... has a lot of body shall we say and being short went out sideways :P The kids used to say I should take my wig back to the 70s (idiots, 70s was more of a long, straight hair era) :P
I would love to be known as the girl with the long hair. I love the nympth, mermaid look and it would suit me as my hair was beautiful when I was 10- midback length. If I ever get it waist length I don't think I could ever cut it off ever again.

MoniChaos
October 16th, 2010, 03:07 AM
All the other women on my team at work have shoulder length or shorter hair and wear it down. I am therefore "the girl with the bun". XD

yay, so am I :D

zombi
October 16th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I've always been known for my hair -- for its length when I was little, then its crazy colours and/or wild styles through high school and university. Right now I feel like my hair is not long really, so maybe for the first time it's not an identifier! I think people focus more on my tattoos.

Henrietta
October 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
The truth is that people ALWAYS remember other people as "the one who /characteristic feature/." The one that laughs loud, the one that is always late, the one with weird name, the one that is short, the one that is always happy...
And it does not mean that they don't see other things. You are not "the one with long hair" for them. You are you. They see you as a hole person, they see more of your characteristics. The hair is just the most characteristic thing, so they can associate you with it. It's like with... kinds of pizza. One is called "Pepperoni" but it has some cheese, paprika and other things in it.
Personally I am not known for my hair. It's just BSL and no one at uni has seen it yet. They won't see it until I am at waist, at least. And I think I would like to be known for it. But if it means that people will want to touch it, see it down - no.

Chamomile betty
October 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
My hair has always been part of my personality. In the late 80's and mid 90's it was short and very white blond. Marilyn Monroe was my influence from 7th grade through my early twenties. So I was always know for being very blond during that time.

I've always had a lot of hair and as it gets long my updos get bigger. So now I am know for my updos. I visited a friend of mine's church and a lady from the back I worked with said she recognized me from my updo lol.

So one way or anthor hair has has been an important part of my style and personality over the years.

bluesnowflake
October 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm sort of known as " the girl with the really long hair who does the elaborate styles". I like the compliments, and it's nice to be unique, but it is kind of frustrating to just be "the long-haired girl". I mean, I have a personality, too!

DreadfulWoman
October 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I am, and I mostly think it's pretty neat. I mean, it's better than being known for something that I don't like about myself. It can be kind of weird sometimes, though. There's a guy at my work who always calls me "Locks," and all I can think is that he must not know my real name.