PDA

View Full Version : Play

Corvus1
September 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I love the feeling of having someone brush, style (not cut), and play with my hair. I don't have REAL long hair, like shoulder length, but I still love it! Like, I wouldn't mind it if like my future wife would play with it. I would especially love it if she put it in tons of ponytails on my head. :D

McFearless
September 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hehe I love the feeling of people playing with my hair too:D

HintOfMint
September 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM
It's one of the greater pleasures in life to have someone play with one's hair. I personally love it. My mom would comb and massage gobs of coconut oil through my hair as a pre-wash soak. :)

A new friend has plans to play with my hair one of these days, so I'm pretty excited about that. Granted, her products and methods may not be LHC friendly, but I figure a wild night for my hair every once in a while can't be too bad.

NotLostYet
September 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
sorry - I have to disagree. Twice in my life I have cut off all my long hair because guys refused to respect my personal space and would 'play' with my hair - once when I knew who the guy was and once when I didn't (people would touch and play with my hair when I was at my desk at work). I guess they just assumed that since I kept my hair long I wanted it touched. It skeeves me the hell out.

I like to think I'm older and wiser now and would tell them to get lost before sacrificing my hair :D

So I guess it's cool and all - to each their own, just ask permission first ;)

Corvus1
September 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Ha ha, True. good point. :cheese: but in their defense, Long hair is irresistible. (for the most part! ;))

GoddesJourney
September 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I love it when my husband pulls out the brush. It's really cute and it feels amazing on my scalp. I have a really nice wooden paddle brush, so it's like a massage. I've had him braid it for me a couple of times. He's not very good at it, but I'd happily wear his braid anyday, just because he made it for me. It's kind of like putting your kid's fingerpaintings up on the fridge or in your office. It doesn't have to be the most beautiful or professional thing, it just has to make you really happy.

ETA:

...I guess they just assumed that since I kept my hair long I wanted it touched...

Maybe. Honestly, I think a lot of people just aren't that considerate. It's not that they necessarily think that you want it touched. They probably are just thinking about how they want to touch it and the thought never entered their mind about whether you might be okay with that. Really, that's a common thing.

What's funny is when they do it to check to see if it's real, as if you were some questionable house plant. It's just funny to me, because it's like, "hey there, are those implants?" In another context, that would be obviously a horrible plan, but with hair people just assume that because it's "dead", game on. Ahh, people, people...

Shellby
September 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I really enjoy when someone plays with my hair. My hubby used to brush my hair the last time it was long. That was way back when we were first married. This is where I miss not having any daughters. My nieces used to love to brush my hair when they were little. Now they are all grown up with their own families. *sigh* Maybe Hubby will break out the brush for me again...

jera
September 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM
Count me in too ! I love having my hair combed and stroked by someone else. ;)

pepperminttea
September 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I love it, as long as it's someone I trust, and they're very gentle (though even then my scalp generally aches a little afterward). Strangers... just no.

I've had him braid it for me a couple of times. He's not very good at it, but I'd happily wear his braid anyday, just because he made it for me. It's kind of like putting your kid's fingerpaintings up on the fridge or in your office. It doesn't have to be the most beautiful or professional thing, it just has to make you really happy.

This is the sweetest thing I've read all day. :crush:

NotLostYet
September 30th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Maybe. Honestly, I think a lot of people just aren't that considerate. It's not that they necessarily think that you want it touched. They probably are just thinking about how they want to touch it and the thought never entered their mind about whether you might be okay with that. Really, that's a common thing.

What's funny is when they do it to check to see if it's real, as if you were some questionable house plant. It's just funny to me, because it's like, "hey there, are those implants?" In another context, that would be obviously a horrible plan, but with hair people just assume that because it's "dead", game on. Ahh, people, people...

Actually, I think it's the same with pretty much anything that falls outside of the everyday. A common complaint from pregnant women is that suddenly strangers think it's ok to come up and touch their stomach, particularly without asking. But like you said, in another context it would be wildly inappropriate.

In my case the people had been specifically asked to not touch me. It wasn't a neutral activity. It was within a wider scope of harassment.

It's sort of like the conversation about foot massages in Pulp Fiction. In the right context, sure, it can be nice, but there very much needs to be the right context or it goes far beyond rude into an invasion of personal boundaries - which is why I can't really say it's nice. It all depends on who is doing the playing. It's still just a body part - and I would be equally non-committal if someone said "well, I just love to tickle knees, don't you all just love to tickle knees?" Surely you get at least one person saying, "now hang on, surely the answer to that depends on context otherwise it's just material for an indiscriminate ******'s collection."

Neneka
September 30th, 2010, 01:56 AM
It was very cute when my friends' boyfriend braided her hair and she was so proud of it even though it was very messy! I wish my boyfriend would braid my hair but he doesn't like braids at all and he would maybe tear my hair off if I let him brush it.

People touched my hair more when it was very short and they wanted to know how it felt... I have myself touched once someones hair (I don't usually touch people very much. No hugs for me!). My flatmate had an Italian friend who had very very curly and very very thick hair. I had never seen that kind of hair on anyone! I asked after a while if she would let me to touch it. I asked carefully because I thought that people propably want to touch her hair all the time.

Soraine
September 30th, 2010, 02:01 AM
I don't really mind others such as friends and people i know touching my hair. I understand the fascination and I'm ok with it. Plus, it feels really good! Of course, strangers don't come up to me and touch my hair in a creepy sort of way without even asking, like some of you have experienced. I think it might have something to do with our cultural difference, since I do live in an Asian society. We're more reserved about openly complimenting someone we don't know or have not spoken to. This goes for touching people as well.

Dragon
September 30th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Im going to have to disagree sorry. People are always eaither to ruff or they give me the worst knots.

RachelRain
September 30th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I like when my boyfriend brushes my hair for me, but I have to brush it first to get the snarls out or he ends up making my scalp hurt. But oh, sweet Jesus, he's magic when he finally gets that brush in his hands. :D

I don't really like when other people touch my hair, though. But then, I don't like to be touched, either, so I'm not surprised. I've got a pretty large personal space bubble. :)

Merewen
September 30th, 2010, 10:15 AM
In the context of the person having permission, I LOVE it. DH doesn't play with it very often, but he is so gentle when he does! Every so often I have him do my nighttime braid just because.

ArienEllariel
September 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I like my hair played with so long as the person doing the playing is gentle. I never appreciate friends who intentionally rub my hair into a rats nest/tangle the dickens out of it on purpose because they're just "playing". These are usually the short haired people I know. -.- that being said, I love it when people gently brush my hair or put it up in french braids, etc. It feels soooo good. :)

tinti
September 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I love it when people play with my hair. Especially my mum and aunts. But I have to brush it myself, or else they'll rip out my hair, that's how it feels anyway.

Thinthondiel
September 30th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I love it when people play with my hair - my sister, my niece, friends, hairdressers (yes, even them ;))... it just feels so nice.

Vijikanth
September 30th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I love it when someone puts some really cool style on it. infact I was thrilled when once my cousin sister brushed my hair for some time and put a barrette just for fun. She once braided it too. I felt the importance my hair receives. But ironically she always suggested I looked cool with short hair. She keeps requesting me to go short again. I'm seriously confused. This happens with another female relative too. She envies my thick hair..Loves to play with it..but suggests me to cut it short..Only ladies here should explain the mixed up reaction on male long hair..:(

Corvus1
September 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
As long as they don't cut it. ;)

Corvus1
September 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I love it when someone puts some really cool style on it. infact I was thrilled when once my cousin sister brushed my hair for some time and put a barrette just for fun. She once braided it too. I felt the importance my hair receives. But ironically she always suggested I looked cool with short hair. She keeps requesting me to go short again. I'm seriously confused. This happens with another female relative too. She envies my thick hair..Loves to play with it..but suggests me to cut it short..Only ladies here should explain the mixed up reaction on male long hair..:(
She is probably jealous. Something tells me she want to cut it as a Ponytail.... so she play with the pony.:eyebrows:

Chestershire
October 1st, 2010, 03:23 PM
I have mixed feelings about that. It feels nice, but I'm thinking like 'oohh, noooo, you're gunna break iittt..' :p