PDA

View Full Version : omg

talecon
September 29th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm sitting here browsing through colors because I'm really wanting to dye my hair right now
this is my super colorful hair picture I took today
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs663.snc4/60331_1388763278817_1224147355_30841622_8055337_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs002.snc4/33470_1388763478822_1224147355_30841623_4784244_n. jpg

and I'm debating whether to dye it or leave it be. I love dying my hair so the fact that I've left it be this long is quite an accomplishment

but anyway, I'm googling and I come across this
http://sachiniti.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/hair-dye-not-so-innocent-girl-looks-alien/

the most severe reaction to hair dye I've ever seen :run:

McFearless
September 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Oh my gosh that poor girl:(

I don't think you should dye your hair. Your virgin hair is so shiny and healthy

beachwaves
September 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Your natural color is super pretty....don't do it!

Hotrox
September 29th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm agreeing with the others - look what a lovely colour and shine your virgin roots have :)

ETA: OMG, that poor girls face. Just awful.

Nae
September 29th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Holy awful allergic reaction Batman!! That was crazy!

P.S. I love your hair color as is! (Of course, you would be cute with just about any color.)

talecon
September 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM
hmm now from hearing your nice comments about my virgin hair I'm really unsure
This is what I was thinking about doing to it
http://www.4hairstyles.com/long/streaked/51.htm

opinions?

yellowchariot
September 29th, 2010, 07:55 PM
IMPO, I think your hair looks amazing just the way it is! It looks very healthy and has a very cool color tone! :thumbsup:

talecon
September 29th, 2010, 07:57 PM
my hair is naturally curly though and its not like I'm going to straighten my hair every day

<mod snip - picture removed>

talecon
September 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
IMPO, I think your hair looks amazing just the way it is! It looks very healthy and has a very cool color tone! :thumbsup:

Thnx I suppose I could carry out plan B which is to henna my ends darker and continue to leave the roots untouched

McFearless
September 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Thnx I suppose I could carry out plan B which is to henna my ends darker and continue to leave the roots untouched
I like that idea!

NotLostYet
September 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM
you could always get a depositing dye - like manic panic or the like - in a dark/black color and just touch up the ends as needed instead of trying to match the roots.

Alex Lou
September 30th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I vote for the dark with blond streaks. I love that look. :D You could be conservative and just streak the bangs.

ilovelonghair
September 30th, 2010, 01:53 AM

Great idea! And you get the benefit of a gloss.

you could always get a depositing dye - like manic panic or the like - in a dark/black color and just touch up the ends as needed instead of trying to match the roots.

I am going to use Manic Panic soon on my hair to just do something crazy, my friend uses it and is really happy with the product :)

Dragon
September 30th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I also agree that your natural colour looks great.

Nae
September 30th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I would say keep your regular color but I have to admit I have a friend with bangs done like that, with the blonde under her regular dark color and it makes her look really pop! I think doing the bangs would be a great compromise.

talecon
September 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM

I was thinking about doing this but I'm wondering how long it would take for the black manic panic to fade. I'm not the type to keep my hair all black forever. would all the black fade?

I vote for the dark with blond streaks. I love that look. :D You could be conservative and just streak the bangs.

I'm not very conservative :pinktongue:

I would say keep your regular color but I have to admit I have a friend with bangs done like that, with the blonde under her regular dark color and it makes her look really pop! I think doing the bangs would be a great compromise.

hmm that could be a thought. Is color oops really less damaging than bleach?

I was talking with my mom yesterday and mentioned what I wanted to do to my hair and she was also urging me not to dye it though she really liked the picture of what I wanted to do to it as well. This is the first time since I've been 10 years old that my hair is growing in fully natural. And when the sun bleaches it, my curls turn copper and blond. With my dark roots. When I was young it always looked like a bad dye job so my mother dyed it all dark brown. It was kinda like learning that my natural color wasn't pretty. So I've dyed it ever since - 17 years so far. I'tried leaving my hair be for a while but once my head is filled with copper curls I start thinking I look like bozo the clown so like my mom, I end up dyeing it darker.
Since discovering LHC I noticed loads of people growing out their natural color and I'm inspired to do so but I often wonder if I'll even like it.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/25/l_2f514c354bcacc7b5f4749dc8dff4554.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/66/l_97afae5c76839f885c362f66b40880b7.jpg

you can say if it looks ugly and doesnt look natural :o

most of the females in my family get red highlights from the sun. Mines is the only one that goes from red, to orange, to blond. I guess my hair is so thin and brittle the sun affects it more.

here's another pic - you can really see how much I start to resemble bozo the clown

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/5/l_d28e5c2a7f01f16bc426b538f55ba651.jpg

virgo75
September 30th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I think you look pretty with whatever you do to your hair, but in the lightened pictures it looks quite dry and brittle. Your siggie pic looks much healthier. :)

If you want those streaks, why not just buy some hair clips and clip them in? That way when you straighten your hair you can add the strips without damaging your hair? Plus you can vary the colors to be whatever you like. ;)

angelfell
September 30th, 2010, 09:46 AM
That is the most horrifying reaction I've ever seen :x. I feel so bad for her.. from the article it says they did the patch test, and it was okay, and then actually dyed the hair to result with that. I almost never want to dye my hair evereverever again D:

Calaelen
September 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Hi! Hairstylist here. I just wanted to give you a professional opinion on the hair colour.

This is what I would tell you if you ended up in my chair asking for the hair colour you showed. I would tell you that with your texture, and the curls that I am not sure it would turn out the way you're picturing it.

In order to get the look in the pic, you would have to straighten your hair every day, and if you left it curly with the two tones, it might look awkward.

Also, I am not sure if you've bleached your hair before, but to get that result, you'd have to, and with the later pics you posted with the lighter colour, I have to say I don't think your hair would respond well to bleach at all.

I think if you're unhappy with the two toned hair you have now, that matching the growth to the roots is the healthiest way to go, and for that, you could try the black Manic panic, though some have said it turned their hair too purple, here is a thread about using this technique http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55638&highlight=manic+panic , or another do it yourself option would be Clairol's Natural Instincts brass free collection in light brown. This particular colour goes much darker than the box says, which is why I say go with the light brown. Also, it is ammonia free, and not very damaging at all.

I use it myself all the time, and love the long lasting healthy results I get.

I hope you don't my coming in with a professional opinion, I am not trying to tell you what to do, but rather give the advice I'd give a client of mine.

I've seen similar colour jobs attempted on curly girls and they were not happy with the results, however, if you're confident that you wont mind the look with curls, and want to give it a try, that is certainly your choice.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do :)

talecon
September 30th, 2010, 03:03 PM
thanks for all the opinions everyone. I'm still going back and forth - I want to keep my hair natural and healthy but I dont like the colors it turns. I've been dying it darker neutral colors for so many years I want something different that pops. My hair when its lighter colored was on rainy days so that explains the frizzz. I'm thinking temporary dyes and manic panic at the moment but I'm mostly just undecided. I'll probably end up buying a wig with a short bob and wear that so I can stop thinking bout messing with my hair :P
The ends of my hair now seem really dry so I'm not exactly wanting to end up damaging it more. My dream would be to one day have hair dye in all different colors that doesnt damage hair :p
Lets say I buy manic panic in blue and dye all my hair with it, and I dont see it dyeing my roots because my roots are pretty dark but I dunno my hair sucks up color pretty well - would all the blue wash out so I can have my virgin roots again? Or will there still be a tint left over. Thnx for helping me decide! (Its driving me crazy seriously, I was just about to go to Sallys and buy a giant batch of bleach and try to get my hair as white as possible! - sounds silly but I always wanted my hair white like Storm from x-men, and I went to a doctors appt where there were all these little old ladies with white hair, it made me want it)

NotLostYet
September 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I did all my hair purple the day before yesterday, and before that it was blue :D

First - blue would give your black hair a blue sheen in the sunlight, but probably wouldn't be visible the rest of the time.

Second - blue is probably the hardest color to get to 'take' so hair has to be really bleached out first and it will fade to greenish within just a few washings (like, three), but of course the green tint will stay for months. Since your ends look like they have a reddish tint in the pics it may end up purpley. Just keep in mind that unlike regular dye it won't nullify your haircolor, it will just blend with it. (ie - my natural color is dark ash blonde / light ash brown with a handful of gray hairs and a few leftover blonde tips from the last time I traditionally dyed my hair about a year ago. I mixed dark purple and dark blue dye about a 3:2 ratio and then combined that with an equal part deep conditioner and let it sit on my hair under plastic for about 6 hours. The result is a lavendar cast to my virgin hair, with the lighter tones being more blueish, and the blonde tips VERY vibrant blue-violet. My hope is that the purple will fade to an ashy color instead of the green/mossy/chlorinated color that the blue faded to.)

Third - blue dye leaks. Some will rinse out every time you wash your hair and I make sure to sleep on a white towel (that can be washed with bleach) for the first couple of weeks.

I've never tried the black dye.

The nice part about it is that it perserves the natural variegation of your hair instead of making it all one blanket color.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 1st, 2010, 01:38 AM
I think you can dye your ends to match your virgin color :) It's so pretty.

talecon
October 1st, 2010, 10:52 AM
I added a dark purplish temporary dye yesterday :) It didnt do much for the virgin hair which I like but it did help the red hennaed hair blend better because its now darker. I like it, its not that much change but just enough to stop me from wanting to destroy all my hard work. With it blended better now I dont think that people are seeing a straight line where my roots meet the red hair color. I'll post pics later when I rinse out all the oil I got globbed in my hair. My hair was super dry this morning. Which brings me to the question. Do temp dyes cause damage?

NotLostYet
October 1st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Glad you like it :D

My deep purple makes my hair look darker too - until I get outside or in bright light and you realize it's actually purple :D

I have never heard of depositing dyes being drying, but I usually mix mine with a deep conditioner to dilute it. Did the dye have alcohol in it?

Alvrodul
October 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm sitting here browsing through colors because I'm really wanting to dye my hair right now
this is my super colorful hair picture I took today
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs663.snc4/60331_1388763278817_1224147355_30841622_8055337_n. jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs002.snc4/33470_1388763478822_1224147355_30841623_4784244_n. jpg

and I'm debating whether to dye it or leave it be. I love dying my hair so the fact that I've left it be this long is quite an accomplishment

but anyway, I'm googling and I come across this
http://sachiniti.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/hair-dye-not-so-innocent-girl-looks-alien/

the most severe reaction to hair dye I've ever seen :run:
The color of your hair is lovely! You certainly don't need to fry your hair and risk allergic reactions - but that is my opinion.:)
I used to use chemical hair dyes myself, but when I used them, I tried to go for as long as possible between each dive into the dye vat, because I was worried about getting an allergic reaction to the dye (a real concern since I already have allergies), as well as the effects on my hair.:(

talecon
October 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Glad you like it :D

My deep purple makes my hair look darker too - until I get outside or in bright light and you realize it's actually purple :D

I have never heard of depositing dyes being drying, but I usually mix mine with a deep conditioner to dilute it. Did the dye have alcohol in it?

I think it may have. I know I read the ingredients but my memory really sucks so I cant remember. but the texture of my hair is back to normal after I rinsed out the oil and conditioned it so thats good.:)

spidermom
October 1st, 2010, 03:34 PM
Not that I'm encouraging you to dye your hair; it looks fine as it is. I merely want to point out that just because some other woman had a bad reaction to hair dye doesn't mean that you will. My DD gets awful-looking hives all over any part of her body that comes into contact with coconut of any kind, including coconut oil. You probably have no idea how hard it is to find a shampoo and conditioner that she can use because most of them contain a coconut product of some formulation. So be prudent. If you decide to dye your hair, do the allergy test.

NotLostYet
October 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
oh, I know what you mean, Spidermom. My sister is allergic to lavender. Can you imagine :(

supermanok03
October 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM
in my opinion, i wouldn't bleach your hair. personally i don't like the look of super bleached curly hair, especially if hair is very dry/brittle. my own hair used to be wavy, and i've bleached it a few times in the past. my hair would also turn liiiight brown in the summer because of chlorine from the pool and the sun, and i hated the bright fried look. so i started dyeing my hair black (my hair is naturally black), but it was so damaged that it wouldn't hold the dye and would fade to light brown over and over. finally i gave up on the dye and started using henna.
fast forward a few years and my hair is in EXCELLENT shape, it is back to jet black again, and box dyes haven't touched it in years. not all of my hair is virgin yet, but it doesn't fade to bright brown anymore and it is all jet black again. plus it's in great condition.

i wouldn't bleach it, i would go for henna and try to take care of its condition first, then it will be healthy and shiny looking and hopefully won't change to copper as much!

talecon
October 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Not that I'm encouraging you to dye your hair; it looks fine as it is. I merely want to point out that just because some other woman had a bad reaction to hair dye doesn't mean that you will. My DD gets awful-looking hives all over any part of her body that comes into contact with coconut of any kind, including coconut oil. You probably have no idea how hard it is to find a shampoo and conditioner that she can use because most of them contain a coconut product of some formulation. So be prudent. If you decide to dye your hair, do the allergy test.

I'm not so much worried about a bad reaction to hair dye. I've been dyeing my hair for years and never had a bad reaction from it. However, last year my sister dyed her hair and got an allergic reaction. Nothing as bad as the girl in the picture though

talecon
October 6th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I finally got around to taking new hair pics. this is my new color

its really not much of a change

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/image201010060001.jpg?t=1286395009

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/bronxbeauty8/image201010060003.jpg?t=1286395057

you can still kinda tell where my virgin hair is and since its a temporary dye I'm sure it'll lighten up a bit over time but for now I'm satisfied :)

Jasperine
October 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Well, that is not such a bad case actually. And the patch test is a bit silly, you can always get allergic to something..

But you can't go around fearing everything. Just be careful when you do it ;)
Henna sounds like the best idea though!