PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone with PCOS managed to grow long healthy hair?

Karala
September 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
This has got to be my biggest concern in my hair growing journey...

I've always shed what seems like a lot to me, and my ends have always been very thin, about 3 times thinner than the hair at nape level (and I'm only bsl). I don't know how much of that was due to dying my hair with harsh chemicals for years (seems pretty common for those who dye their hair every month for years to end up with thin, dry, ratty ends)... But I know I'm very concerned that it might actually have more to do with the fact that I shed a lot of hairs that are about half my total lenght, so I'm assuming they have a shorter life span that leads them to fall out prematurely, and that would mean only a small percentage of my hair would have the ability to grow long (like, longer than shoulder lenght or APL), which would also mean I'll never be able to grow my hair long with a nice thick healthy hemline. A pretty bleak prospect.

So if anyone has any success stories of growing long healthy hair despite PCOS, I'd be thrilled to hear them and collect some hope!

Karala
September 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
...no one?

Anje
September 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I can't speak for the folks with PCOS, but you might want to search for threads on it in the Health & Body Beautiful forum. I'm pretty sure there are a number of members with that disorder, and you'll at least get to see what sort of hair they've managed to grow!

ETA: Here's the main thread on the subject. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9294)

Othala
September 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hello....Yes!

ReluctantlyCurl
September 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I can say in my experience, I have been diagnosed with PCOS and my hair is just brushing waist. So yes, you can grown past APL :)

As far as wonderful, shining, strong-as-nails hair, well, I'm not going to go that far. But, I haven't really noticed any change in my hair since being diagnosed. I was also diagnosed as diabetic, and I was told sometimes there is a relationship between the 2 conditions, so not sure if that makes my experience different.

rhysiana
September 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
My PCOS has always been pretty asymptomatic, but it's never had any effect on my hair (which is virgin and almost classic, blunt hemline, only slight taper.)

Brianna
September 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
*raises hand*

I do shed quite a bit, and my hair will never be really thick, but it's at hip now and still looking pretty good. :)

Malibu Barbie
September 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Yes.. I have very strong hair and nails. I read in a book the average person loses hundreds of hairs a day its normal. Most have to brush or comb it to notice this. I don't lose much hair during the week but I wash my hair once a week. I lose most of my hair when I wash it, but that is normal because the strands cling to the other hairs in your head.

Calaelen
September 30th, 2010, 04:26 PM
there are many pics of my hair in my albums, I have PCOS, and I think my hair is in great shape despite this, but I am on BC to regulate my hormones.. I have a private album with some pics in it too, so if you want to see more, feel free to send me a friend request.

Also, I find taking MSM at 4000mg per day has helped with thickness, though my hair has always been very thick due to genes. I did shed quite a lot when my hormones were very out of whack, and before going on MSM to see if it would help. I shed maybe 25 hair per day now, even less I think.

Karala
October 1st, 2010, 04:36 AM
I can't speak for the folks with PCOS, but you might want to search for threads on it in the Health & Body Beautiful forum. I'm pretty sure there are a number of members with that disorder, and you'll at least get to see what sort of hair they've managed to grow!

ETA: Here's the main thread on the subject. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9294)

Thanks for pointing that out to me, I had already browsed through anything PCOS-related on this board, but I thought it would be interesting to have a thread dealing with this one question only :]

Thanks for your replies and for giving me hope! Of course, everyone and everyone's symptoms is/are different, but it's encouraging to see that PCOS is not automatically a "you will never be able to grow long hair ever!" condamnation.

I was on the pill and cyproterone acetate for years, did several minoxydil treaments (the latter being pretty effective, but only as long as I didn't stop the treatment), but after a lifetime of taking up stupid medication after medication which I highly suspect of just messing me up more (two accutane treatments at a time when I was suffering from severe depression already... countless anti-depressants that never relieved my depression, when I was suicidal and should NOT have had so much heavy medication with me at home ... yeast infection treatments that left me with more severe yeast infections each time, until I learned how to treat them myself with tea tree oil and calendula, cyproterone acetate when my liver was probably already effed up from the accutane treatments, having high-dose pill prescribed to me even though I was a smoker...), I've grown completely disgusted with medication and seeing doctors altogether, and although I'm considering taking the pill again now for controlling hormonal issues from PCOS (including shedding), I can't quite bring myself to do it because my trust level concerning "traditional" health-care has dropped down to almost zero.

Sorry for the slightly out-of-subject rambling. Long story short: I would take the pill to keep my out-of-whack hormones, hence shedding, under control, but I'm too scared to put myself in a doctor's hands again, because I know from experience that doctors can and will play around with my health.

halo_tightens
October 1st, 2010, 06:31 AM
I have PCOS, and my hair is thick and strong. :)

It actually seems that my hair is the one aspect of my body that is completely unaffected by it... I have the usual problems with my cycle, skin, tendency to put on weight, etc., but my hair has always been thick and healthy. (Well, it's healthy when I'm not damaging it with chemicals and heat, of course.)

I do shed insane amounts, more than I've ever seen anyone shed in real life. Somehow, though, it still remains a solid iii. HTH!

Jules diamond
October 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
I don't know if I'm quite there yet, but I've been growing with no real problem for years. :D

Actually, I didn't know shedding was an issue associated with PCOS.

daisygirl
October 3rd, 2010, 06:50 AM
I also have PCOS and have no problems growing hair (I just wish it was all on the top of my head!). My hair actually grows fairly fast, at least 10 inches a year which is above average. It's currently at 27" - I had my fiance measure it last night for me so I have a number to start with now, I haven't measured it since I had it chopped to my shoulders about 18 months ago - it was down to only about 12" then. So, 15 inches in 18 months :)

I'm always fascinated by the symptoms of "cysters" as I call them. I know *so* many, from being in support groups, that are experiencing male pattern baldness and I feel horrible for them :(

daisy