PDA

View Full Version : Insults

Corvus1
September 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hey, guys. I'm new here. Making me the noob. so..... Here's the first of many: Do you guys remember what some people have called you over the years? I'm 14, in high school. so it's not normal for a guy with kind of curly hair to have shoulder length hair.:p One guy actually called me 'Rapunzel' I actually took it as a complement AND an insult. Ha Ha, I'm weird! :cheese:

Qwackie
September 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
They called me a dude because of my hair length..
How do they even think that I dunno.

jera
September 29th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Haha. I'm glad you were able to consider it a compliment and not just an insult. :p I'm female and just wish somebody would call me Rapunzel. :D I've never been teased about my hair except once when my mom cut my hair into bangs the boys I hung around with called me The Egyptian.It was meant to be an insult and it did hurt at the time, but I was 11, so there you go. :o

RitaPG
September 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Some people called me witch, satanic or freak. My semi-gothic inspired wardrobe caused quite a case of jealousy back then hahah. Not hair related insults but that's what I remember being called:shrug:
Don't think I've ever been insulted for my hair though :D

Whijun
September 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Most of the negativity I've gotten about being a guy with long hair has come from my family and relatives. I haven't had much said to me recently, but when I was in my teens, the "grown-ups" would always tell me to cut it, that I looked like some beggar off the street (despite the fact that I took care of my hair), sarcastically questioned my gender, and a few other unkind things.

What they didn't know was how stubborn and rebellious I am, so instead of discouraging me, it made me dig my heels even deeper. I don't think I would have cut my hair even if they didn't take any notice of it, but who knows.

I'm sure that when I was in high school, there were plenty of other kids who thought my hair was unattractive and such, but they never said it to my face.

I think every guy with long hair has gone through some of it from one source or another. Just a fact of life in this day and age.

You handled yourself well though. Good for you. :)

Harriet
September 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I was called the ging-er minger on several occasions. One girl proclaimed she hated me just because I was a ginger.

I've always liked my hair though and never let it get to me. What matters is if I like it not if other people do!

little_cherry
September 29th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Ahh, that sucks that guys get suck negative comments on having long hair. No one teased Van Halen and (insert many other band names here) for having long hair!

I think long hair is rocking!

angelfell
September 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
The only insult I got is when I was in middle school. I used to part my hair in two and wear it in front, leaving the 'butt-crack' on the back of my head. One day some popular girl frowned and said "That looks dumb, let me fix it" and took some of my hair and put it back there. She proceeded to unbutton some of the buttons on my button-up shirt because I had them all button. Excuse me for not trying to be revealing -.-.

Other than that.. I was never INSULTED for this, but I cut my own bangs once, they were full bangs, and I actually did them perfectly correct.. except they just weren't right for me. But someone said I looked a lot like Nelly Furtado when she had the same sort of bangs. I considered that a compliment.

Aevra
September 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM
As far as insults about my hair go...well when I was younger my hair was very unruly and my grandpa (On my dad's side) always told me to brush my hair more because I looked like a ragamuffin...
Recently though people have tried the whole "You're a ginger!" insult, but I think it's kind of funny.

Aleria
September 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM
The only thing that comes to mind is for crazy hair day, I'd do my hair in multiple braids (it was about waist at the time) And I got called Medusa, partially because I have a really nasty " I'm going to kill you" glare.
When my hair got cut off short due to lice I got the " you look like a boy!" a lot. Which I didn't, really. I had boobs already, for heaven's sake!

Igor
September 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hey, guys. I'm new here. Making me the noob. so..... Here's the first of many: Do you guys remember what some people have called you over the years? I'm 14, in high school. so it's not normal for a guy with kind of curly hair to have shoulder length hair.:p One guy actually called me 'Rapunzel' I actually took it as a complement AND an insult. Ha Ha, I'm weird! :cheese:

Some people! :rolleyes:

My grandmother used to give me crap for my long hair. She would always ask “When will you cut off all that ?” (Yes, imagine something along the lines of “splat”)
But the first thing she said to me after I had cut off my hair was: “Why did you cut off your hair? It was so [I]nice!" :ponder:

Chestershire
September 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
people call me weird (not because of my hair :p), but they're all lady gaga fans so I'm not gonna think to much about it. Welcome to the forum! :D

pepperminttea
September 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Most of the mean comments I get don't tend to be hair-centred, thankfully (but I'm female, so I guess it's more socially acceptable). I love long hair on guys though, so it's society's loss. :p

Have you heard of Alan Davies (http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS294&=&q=Alan+Davies&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=596)? If you're outside the UK, chances are you haven't, but he's well known in this neck of the woods for his dark curly hair, and at times, it's reached shoulder length with the curls unstretched. I've always thought it looked awesome. :D

Alex Lou
September 29th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I'm glad that you can laugh about what people say to you, Corvus.

My husband got teased a lot when he was in school. Certain bullies would call him Jesus and it still really bothers him.

As a high school senior, he and some of his friends were attacked by a recent grad and his friends who thought he was gay based on the long hair. One of our friends got the worst of it: he was knocked down and one of the guys was stomping on his head repeatedly.

Shellby
September 29th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome! I have always liked guys with long hair. Just sayin'. Anyway I remember having long braids and some idiot took to calling me Pippi from Pippy Longstocking. I am blond and she was a redhead. And mine definitely did not stick out, but he called me it and it stuck for a while. *sigh* kids, right?

Nae
September 29th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I was told I had "Klingon hair," I still haven't decided if it was a compliment or an insult.

Toffee20
September 29th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Not exactly an insult, but my mum told me how much I would suit a fringe for aaages until I got one. & then a few months later she tells me actually quite liked me not having a fringe, & I got the 'wrong sort' of fringe?!

Another thing people say "Isn't your hair long" or " Your hair has grown so much since I saw you" What do other people say to this type of thing? I guess if I managed to keep my hair up that would avoid this!

xx

Toffee20
September 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I'm glad that you can laugh about what people say to you, Corvus.

My husband got teased a lot when he was in school. Certain bullies would call him Jesus and it still really bothers him.

As a high school senior, he and some of his friends were attacked by a recent grad and his friends who thought he was gay based on the long hair. One of our friends got the worst of it: he was knocked down and one of the guys was stomping on his head repeatedly.

Children can be so so horrible :(
Strange that Jesus was used as an insult.. I guess anything can be made into an insult..

Hylia
September 29th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I was called goth a lot for having long black and pink hair. I dont take it as an insult, but sometimes people meant to say it in an insulting way.

Anje
September 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I was told I had "Klingon hair," I still haven't decided if it was a compliment or an insult.
I've got a friend with 'Klingon hair'. In her case, as a hard-core Trekkie, it's a total compliment! Klingons have awesome hair, anyway.

tinti
September 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
My grandma likes calling me a donkey :p

Charlotte:)
September 29th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I can't wear a pink shirt without being called Barbie, because my hair is long and blonde.

pepperminttea
September 29th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Post-first season of Next Gen, that's definitely a compliment in my eyes. :D

Nae
September 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Lol, you guys are making me smile. It was a pretty hard core trekkie who told me that, I wan't sure whether she meant it was wild like their hair is sometimes or just thick and curly. Honestly, it is probably both at times.

tinker bug
September 29th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I got called a freak on a regular basis by one of the more popular girls... kids can be really awful sometimes...

Peter
September 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Queer, ***, gross, girl.

How the hell is "girl" an insult in the first place? These people are beyond me.

I don't get insulted anymore though. Seems that the people around me have just gotten accustomed to the fact that I have long hair and it's not going away.

Corvus1
September 29th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Haha. I'm glad you were able to consider it a compliment and not just an insult. :p I'm female and just wish somebody would call me Rapunzel. :D I've never been teased about my hair except once when my mom cut my hair into bangs the boys I hung around with called me The Egyptian.It was meant to be an insult and it did hurt at the time, but I was 11, so there you go. :o
Well, I'm a guy. and my hair barely comes close to my chin. So it's kind of exaggeration.

I was called the ging-er minger on several occasions. One girl proclaimed she hated me just because I was a ginger.

I've always liked my hair though and never let it get to me. What matters is if I like it not if other people do!
That's something I never got: why do people make fun of/ insult redheads? Gingers especially? Redheads are so good looking, that I get envious when I see the NATURAL (notice i said natural. ;)) redheads flaunt their hair. they're lucky to be redheads.

Thanks! Glad for the hospitality!

That cannot go unnoticed. Stomping someone's head for having long hair?! How far has the evolutionary clock gone back?!?! That dude should be sent to jail for months. there is NO excuse for that. absolutely inexcusable.

Qwackie
September 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Oh, I remember in like, I dunno, second grade or so, my mom cut my bangs to save a buck. I didn't like them (and still don't) anywhere above my eyebrow, always below. They always got in my eyes and she cut them to like right next to my hairline.
Let's just say the results of poorly cut bangs and having no friends isn't great.

jeanniet
September 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
My kids call me a hippie, but they're teenagers so they don't count. ;) Welcome to you! I have a 14 year old with curly hair, and I wish he'd grow it out more. If he had his choice it would be 1/2" long.

PiroskaCicu
September 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM
A few people called me "Cousin It" when my hair was waist length... My teacher once said I should cut my hair because i looked like a hippy and that it wasn't the 70s? Just rude if you ask me :P.

luxepiggy
September 30th, 2010, 04:49 AM
The best was when someone said I needed to go to a real salon if I wanted to dye my hair because the drugstore stuff I was using looked "really obviously fake"

You've no idea how much I enjoyed telling her it grows out of my head that "really obviously fake" colour (^(oo)^)v

Dragon
September 30th, 2010, 05:06 AM
A guy I use to go to school with had shortish very curly black hair. He had the nickname of Dunny Brush.

Unofficial_Rose
September 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Queer, ***, gross, girl.

How the hell is "girl" an insult in the first place? These people are beyond me.

Ah, my son used to get this at his (all-boys) school. He has plenty of answers "What's the matter, don't you like girls? Then perhaps you are gay too?" :D (although he's not homophobic, actually he's bi)

Think they have given up now. He's made it clear he won't cut his hair based on other people's opinion.

I've only got shoulder length hair, but sometimes have it very dark. This lead to one girl saying to another girl that I looked like Morticia. Pretty sure it was meant to be an insult, but I have to say I thought it was kind of cool and I've been cultivating that look ever since.

squiggyflop
September 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM
highschool: creep, death, pinky (i had pink hair), yeah im sure my goth wardrobe didnt help me.. i also got a lot of "oh my god what did you do to your hair"

college: no real insults (not coming from my dad.. but dad is being playful and not really trying to hurt me) dad sometimes calls me hippie..

Corvus1
September 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Ah, my son used to get this at his (all-boys) school. He has plenty of answers "What's the matter, don't you like girls? Then perhaps you are gay too?" :D (although he's not homophobic, actually he's bi)

Think they have given up now. He's made it clear he won't cut his hair based on other people's opinion.

I've only got shoulder length hair, but sometimes have it very dark. This lead to one girl saying to another girl that I looked like Morticia. Pretty sure it was meant to be an insult, but I have to say I thought it was kind of cool and I've been cultivating that look ever since.

awesome! I always thought Morticia looked SO hot.:D plus she lways seemed in a sultr mood, playing with her hair. :3

KittyLost
September 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
There's been a few for the colours I've had my hair. Ones that I can think of...

When I had all-over pink hair I was called Pimple.
When I had all-over purple hair I was called Vimtohead and Shlurple the Purple.
When my all-over red hair faded to an orangey colour (which I liked) I was called Basketball-head.
When I've had multiple colours running throughout my hair I've had stuff said to me like "oh did you paint yourself" "you look like a christmas tree" "witch" etc etc

I got called freak, goth, greebo quite a lot. I wasn't particularly bothered by it, they weren't very inventive insults it was just interesting to see what they came up with. I went to a school that was quite frequently known as Chav Central, and it had a terrible reputation.

anna francesca
September 30th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Hey, Corvus1 I've been called Rapunzel before to, although I am female so it wouldnt be meant as such an insult, other than that I was called Pocahontas. Im in high school too so I would know how narrow minded people are there. Go on and rock that hair :rockerdud

irishlady
September 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I'm 23 now, but when I was a kid I used to wear hearing aids, which I hated, and got my hair cut into a bob, with a blunt fringe/bangs straight across, to try and hide them. The other kids called me "Prince Valiant" after that character in the books. And I'm female! It hurt because I couldn't win either way, if they saw the aids they'd call me "robot ears."
Kids are cruel, thankfully I refuse to wear those stupid things now, I cope fine without them anyway.

When I was a teen, my hair was always neat and tidy for school, in a long ponytail (it was midback length then) but the teachers would tell me to cut it, and get it out of my face (even though I didn't have any fringe/bangs).

Nowadays I just try not to care anymore, and wear my hair how I want.

Don't let anyone insult you, it's your hair after all :)

phistash
September 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I have a very Italian last name, and the kids in middle school used to call me Petroleum Jelly, because my name (only sort of) sounded like Petroleum. Lame.
That didn't bother me, but I do remember being upset when a neighborhood kid called me Where's Waldo. I had short hair, I was 14 and awkward, wore glasses, and my favorite shirt was red and white striped. I guess I had that one coming.

In college, I was the Anti-Christ. Because I had a shaved head, which is EVIL, apparently.

It takes more than name-calling to upset me anymore, though.

Alex Lou
September 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM
That's something I never got: why do people make fun of/ insult redheads? Gingers especially? Redheads are so good looking, that I get envious when I see the NATURAL (notice i said natural. ;)) redheads flaunt their hair. they're lucky to be redheads.
I don't understand either. I'm a redhead and was never made fun of. Sometimes people would compare me to a fireball or tell me that my hair looks like fire, but these were just strange compliments. More often random strangers stop me to tell me how beautiful my hair is.

But no one used the term "ginger" where I grew up until the South Park episode came out. It's really more of a racial term, I think.

Aevra
September 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
-flaunts her natural hair-
Yeah, I love being a natural red head. It's very unique, especially my particular penny/copper colour. People make fun of red heads because it's not a common colour, and because it's not common or normal it must be "weird" and worth of insulting...that or they're just jealous.

He is
September 30th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'm thirteen now, but when I was nine or ten my hair was mid back length and super curly. I didn't really know how to take care of it and some times went so long without combing a dred lock would form. My stepmom called my hair dry and constantly flat ironed it. My mom didn't know about all this damage when she permed it so it fell off at a little longer than chin length. I had to get it cut about two inches all around even the baby hairs. My mom told my step mom to stop messing with my hair.At twelve my hair was shoulder when my step mom took me to a salon where they put a texture softner in my hair. A week later when I washed my hair expecting looser curls my hair was straight and thin and dried extremely frizzy.My mom trimmed it about half an inch for three months. I finally took charge of my own hair and started deep conditioning which added shine back to my hair this summer. I discovered lch and have been usong castor oil and shea moisture. My hair is now almost to a third of my back. I went to my dad's house and he said my hair was dry and my step mom, my hair was soft to the touch though. I guess I just can't please them, but at least I have my mom's support. I let my step mom blow dry it when I last visited. I just can't wait until they see my hair to my waist with all the curls back in it( in about two years).
I'm african american but I think long hair on guys is pretty awesome. It gives them a nerdy air if they wear glasses and a rocker edge if they don't. I like the nerds and most girls go for a rocker. Keep growing what ever you do.

He is
September 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Oh yeah I forgot. I never got insults because of my hair. My name used to be Butler when I lived in Kansas and the children in kindergarten there were racist. When I moved some dude found out my old name and called my Veronica Birdcrap.

Corvus1
September 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
-flaunts her natural hair-
Yeah, I love being a natural red head. It's very unique, especially my particular penny/copper colour. People make fun of red heads because it's not a common colour, and because it's not common or normal it must be "weird" and worth of insulting...that or they're just jealous.
-starts playing with hair- Redheads are so irresistible!:D

Corvus1
September 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
by the way, guys, thanks for all the welcoming reception. I know i'll enjoy talking to you and getting to know you, and learning the best ways to take care of my hair! Again, thanks for the welcome and support! ^_^

Aevra
September 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM
-starts playing with hair- Redheads are so irresistible!:D

Trust me, when you posted that you did NOT want to be playing with my hair. My hair hates cones and I bought a leave-in conditioner and I guess I missed the cones when I was reading the ingredient list and all today my hair was greasy and stringy and super gross. :cry:

It's wet now though.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 1st, 2010, 01:43 AM
The last "insult" i received was in primary school. Some girl called me "broom-haired".

I no longer get insults but people do comment on my hair not looking great :(