View Full Version : What length do you think is too long?

shockinglength
September 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
What is everyones personal prefferance on hair length? What length do you think is too long? For me I'd say if it could be sat on.

McFearless
September 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
For me, anything longer than hip length is too long.

Aleria
September 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
If you can't look after it, it's too long. Anything less than that is fine :) I'd be stoked if I could grow mine to "fingertip length", which is long enough to touch your fingertips when they're at your side. About halfway between classic and knee-length, though YMMV. I had waist length hair at one point, and it was not long enough for me.
ETA: personal opinion, of course. Does not reflect on other's hair. Taking care of it is their problem not mine.

Peter
September 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM
For myself, it seems that somewhere around waist or hip is a good length. I'm not very good at doing buns, so going longer is fairly inconvenient for me.

For others... couldn't care less. It's not my hair.

christine1989
September 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Waist to tailbone is ideal to me. Any longer and it can be tough to maintain a good hemline (kudos to those who can though!)

nellreno
September 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
For me, I think hip or tailbone is the longest I can stand and the longest that would look good on me. But, I've never had hair that long so I can't really be certain.

Nastasia
September 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
For my own hair? I haven't found it yet :). I suppose floor length would definitely be too long, because then I wouldn't be able to let it down without it trailing on the ground.

For other people's hair? Not my business.

Angeletti
September 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
For myself I'm planning on growing to classic (and maybe mid thigh someday if I ever manage to get my ends nice and thick) so anything below mid thigh for me would be too long.

As for other people I don't think any length is too long.

beez1717
September 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
as soon as you can't take care of your hair appropriately then it's too long. That depends on the person of course.

bte
September 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Too? Long?

Sorry, don't understand.

Lisa R
September 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM
For me it would be between waist to tbl. But if someone wants to grow hair past that and it looks healthy and well looked after I think go for it!

What I meant to say is between waist and tbl would be a nice long length for me but anything beyond that would be too long for me to handle!

Melisande
September 28th, 2010, 11:37 PM
On others: none of my business. Myself: I didn't get there yet so I can't decide beforehand. I'll know it when I get there! (I'm shooting for classic length, cut back from tb to hip some months ago)

Jezerellica
September 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
For me? I'm not sure yet. I'll know it when it happens.

Others have their own choices, but I'm kinda grossed out by seeing someones hair dragging on the ground. Yes, it is not my business so I have looked away...

Macaroni
September 28th, 2010, 11:45 PM
For me, any length longer than waist is too long. I've maintained waist length for years. I self-trim when I think my ends are too dry.

moonkitty
September 29th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I don't think there is such a thing as too long!

ravenreed
September 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I don't know that any length is too long. I think between BS and Classic is the most esthetically pleasing to my eye, but every length from bald to floor+ can be attractive.

Dragon
September 29th, 2010, 01:16 AM
On myself, not sure yet. On others, when its dragging on the floor.

sunrain
September 29th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I think no length is too long as long as the hair is well maintained.

Phexlyn
September 29th, 2010, 01:35 AM
On others: none of my business, but it should be clean and well-cared for.

On myself: I don't know yet, obviously classic is not too long. It basically depends on how well I can manage my hair and if I like the look on myself. I'll find out some day :)

Purdy Bear
September 29th, 2010, 02:28 AM
From my personal experience it was anything you could sit on, at this length I got it caught in doors etc but then I was only about 10 at the time.

From a totally practical point of view anything longer then ankle I should imagine would be very hard to live with.

Milui Elenath
September 29th, 2010, 02:47 AM
My goal is classic and I believe that will be long enough for me. I've just past tailbone length and for the first time in years my hair is beginning to irritate me with its extra length and care. It could be a phase, it could be WO but at this point I don't see myself going beyond classic but of course I reserve the right to change my mind. :D

ravenreed
September 29th, 2010, 03:39 AM
OT- I hit this point just before TB. Everything was bugging me- my updo's were being difficult, and so on. I decided to wait a bit and see if I adjusted and I did. I am now creeping past TB, waiting to see if I can stand another few inches or if TB is my limit.

My goal is classic and I believe that will be long enough for me. I've just past tailbone length and for the first time in years my hair is beginning to irritate me with its extra length and care. It could be a phase, it could be WO but at this point I don't see myself going beyond classic but of course I reserve the right to change my mind. :D

30isthenewblack
September 29th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I don't think there is such a thing as too long. It all depends on your personal preference and how long you want your hair. Don't worry about what other people think or conform to other people's standards of beauty. Do what makes you happy.

For me personally, I think the longest I would grow my hair is hip or tailbone curly. Mind you, it would have to be at least 6" - 10" longer when straight to bounce up and I think that is quite long. It may even hit terminal before it reaches that length :smile:

Othala
September 29th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Too long in my eyes is when the volume and quality of the hair have significantly deteriorated. For example, if my hair reached knee length but from hip down my hair was say only 10 of the volume of my hair at waist length, I would consider that too long. Then again, even if the hair volume was comparable to the hair at waist length but the hair strands were badly weathered/split/broken, then the hair would be too long.

constantki
September 29th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Too long is when it gets actively in my way so I can't live comfortably with it.

RachieBaby
September 29th, 2010, 04:33 AM
When you can't take proper care of it anymore I think. Im trying to grow to BSL which is the longest my hair will have ever been so im hoping i'll still be able to look after it well and maybe continue growing :)

Monsterkitti
September 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM
When its too difficult to care for properly or it is annoying to live with.
Im not sure when I'll get to that point, Id love to get to Classic but I think the sittting on it factor might mean its too long for me.

pepperminttea
September 29th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Providing I can still look after it, I don't know of a length that's too long yet. I think past my arm's reach things will get harder, though not impossible, but I'm nowhere near there (yet!). :)

redneckprincess
September 29th, 2010, 05:00 AM
as of right now Id have to say waist/hip....that may change as i get closer to that length...but i doubt it....

supermanok03
September 29th, 2010, 05:16 AM
on myself, it's too long when the ends start to thin or are noticeably thinner than the majority of my hair. then i start trimming back to get even thickness all around.

other people are of course free to their own hair preferences, but i definitely notice if hair is not well kept or is damaged. then i can't help but think "that needs a trim!!"

MerryKat
September 29th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I have not found it yet for myself - currently around Hip and planning on classic as first goal (but I know once I reach there I will want to try for longer) - providing it does not become a huge hassle at some point. Currently the longer it gets the easier it is to deal with.

Eolan
September 29th, 2010, 05:31 AM
On myself, probably anything beyond classic. But having never been there, it's hard to say. On others, it depends on the person and the hair, really. But that said, generally I love all lenghts! :)

dudbarbu
September 29th, 2010, 06:31 AM
On myself something below waist length, on other people when hair drags the floor.

adiapalic
September 29th, 2010, 06:40 AM
On myself? Well, I just got to classic... it's definitely more to work with than waist/tailbone because I can accidentally sit on it. But I love the way it looks and feels :) I might consider anything past my thigh to be too much maintenance for me, but I don't know how much from personal experience. So, really I'm undecided.

As for anyone else, it's really none of my business. :flower: I do admire good floor-length hair though!

drquartz1970
September 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM
probably could handle waist to tailbone length OK. anything longer would be too much hassle what with sitting on it and or getting it caught somewhere like a car door. Wearing loose would be more dangerous at that length and the extra care needed might be too exhausting for some.

Carolyn
September 29th, 2010, 06:48 AM
My goal is "sitting on it" length. Then I'll see.

FrannyG
September 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM
On other people, no length is too long, in my opinion, as long as they are happy with it.

Practically speaking, I think that hip or tailbone is likely the maximum length for me, and only if I can maintain nice ends at that length.

FrannyG
September 29th, 2010, 06:50 AM
My goal is "sitting on it" length. Then I'll see.

Well, when that happens, you'd better brag about it by showing us a photo of you sitting on your hair. We endearing weirdos love that,:p you know.

RavennaNight
September 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I guess when it starts getting in the way. I'm almost TB and it's not in the way yet ;)

jojo
September 29th, 2010, 07:04 AM
For me I think classic is the limit but ive never been that long so who knows, i may get there just for the hell of it (if my hair will grow that long) and cut it back to TB or hip.

However, I love looking at very long hair hair on others IF its healthy and well looked after. To me theres nothing worse than scraggly, split endy hair thats long just for the sake of being long. Id rather look at APL hair which has been looked after well, but give me well maintained floor length hair on others and I can drool for England!! LOL

aries
September 29th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Is there such a thing? bte said it best.

BrightBlack
September 29th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Aesthetically, I don't think 'too long' is possible.

However, for personal convenience I don't think I'll ever grow mine past the waist. I'm too clumsy for something as wonderful as classic. LOL If I can sit on my hair, I'll end up unable to turn my head quite often.

Fairlight63
September 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I was thinking waist length is the longest that I could handle, but as I am almost at waist now, it doesn't seem that long after all. So maybe tail bone length. But I think that when I get to waist that I will maintain it at that length for a while to even up the ends.

Arianwen
September 29th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Too? Long?

Sorry, don't understand.

What she said.

redkdawg
September 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I really admire people who have hair that is tailbone length and longer. Unfortunately I don't think I will ever be able to get mine past my tailbone - it's just too fine and thin, and besides - if I can sit on it, it tends to be "too long" for me to handle.

KristiLe
September 29th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I think that when hair gets too long is when it starts to get in the way or when it gets too heavy to wear in most updos. As far as looks go, I'm not a huge fan of length below the hips. To each their own though!

KristiLe
September 29th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I think it is too long when it is too heavy to do most updos. As far as looks go I prefer it not to be below the hips.

RitaPG
September 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I had a classmate with curly APL hair, it was a dirty, ratty, split, ball of tangles. Not to mention she had lice and I got it from her.
I think she should have a buzzcut.

But honestly, if the owner can handle his/ her own hair properly, keeps it clean and healthy, then no length is too long. :)

For me... I'm not there yet lol, so I don't know.

Juneii
September 29th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I had a classmate with curly APL hair, it was a dirty, ratty, split, ball of tangles. Not to mention she had lice and I got it from her.

GROSS.

for me, past knee length is generally too long. A few people can pull it off fine, but when it gets that long I feel it detracts from the person.

rags
September 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM
For other people I like all lengths as long as the hair is cared for and looks good.

For myself, I think classic would be my limit, but having had long hair most of my adult life and it never going past tailbone, I'm pretty sure I'm terminal at tailbone.

MrsGuther
September 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Whenever I've had my hair past waist length it is pretty difficult to deal with (think of a blonde afro/lion's mane). I wouldn't say any length was "too long" though. I think that it all depends on how much aggravation in caring for their hair that that individual person is willing to go thru.

RitaPG
September 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
GROSS.

You can say that allright! I had to wash my hair everyday for a week with chemical shampoo to kill the bastards, the lice comb broke my hair and made it fall out in clumps!
And I had to work with her for a whole month after that incident.:justy:

Loreley
September 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
On myself: I think anything past knee length would be too long for me.
On others: I really like calf length or ankle lenght on other people but I couldn't have that long hair. It'd be too much for me. Too long on others is when it reaches the floor or it's longer than that.

embee
September 29th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Depends on the care. If I can take care of it and it's not in my way, then I've not found Too Long yet.

For others, not my business, but RitaPG sure has my sympathy. That co-worker would have been better bald. Yuk.

may1em
September 29th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I, personally, wouldn't want my hair any longer than tailbone. It already takes forever and a day to dry, and I want to be able to wear it down without worrying about getting it into a huge tangle.

But everyone's different, and some people can take care of and enjoy hair much longer than mine!

slythwolf
September 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I used to think long enough to sit on was too long for me. Then I learned how to put my hair up in a way that looks good.

Now, I don't know; I don't think there is an objective "too long".

pennyroyal
September 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Too? Long?

Sorry, don't understand.
Agreed! :D

slz
September 29th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Too? Long?

Sorry, don't understand.
Is it "third", or "fourthed" or more ?
Well anyway, this :p .

Khiwanean
September 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM
For me, I don't think I could stand having it past fingertip length. Of course, I've never had it that long, so maybe it wouldn't be as hard to take care of as it is in my head.

I don't think there is a point where the hair is too long on other people. I would say that floor length is too long to wear down when one is out and about though.

Calaelen
September 29th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I think healthy hair looks gorgeous at any length, for me personally it would be too long dragging on the floor, it would just get damaged, and to me anything longer than an inch or two above the ground is kind of unnecessary.

My perfect length on me will likely be mid calf, but not longer.

virgo75
September 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
For my own hair, I'll have to reserve judgement until I make it to tailbone. If I make to that and it's still healthy and I can care for it, then I'll try for longer.

On others - For some reason I don't like to see hair that drags on the ground. Even to the feet is fine, but once it's longer than that I don't like it as much.

In general - healthy hair looks good at all lengths, unhealthy or uncared for(dirty) hair looks gross no matter how long or short it is.

EdG
September 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I used to think that there is no such thing as too long hair.

After reaching terminal length, I realized that one's body has a definite notion of what is too long. I now define "too long" as "beyond terminal length". Of course, the length will be different for everyone. ;)
Ed

JenniferNoel
September 29th, 2010, 01:46 PM
...Floor's the limit?? *chuckle*
For me, too long is when it becomes more of a nuisance than a relaxing hobby/vanity. When it becomes difficult to braid and comb.

kimajo
September 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I can't wait until I have to worry about my hair being too long!

Sheltie_Momma
September 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I don't know yet. I'm almost at hip and if anything it is easier to manage then it has ever been. I'm not sure that I will grow it to the point of it being my "thing". I'm not sure I want it to be the major defining thing you would think about when describing me. As long as it is integral but not all consuming, then I'll keep growing. Does that make any sense?

Chestershire
September 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM
knee is to long
for me :D

Capybara
September 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Well, when that happens, you'd better brag about it by showing us a photo of you sitting on your hair. We endearing weirdos love that,:p you know.
This made me giggle :)

I don't have a "too long length," yet. The length my hair is now is probably the longest it's ever been, but I'm having no problems taking care of it. It's easier to put up (the length seems to support itself), and braid (finally, I can cross over more than a few measly sections :p thick hair...Both a blessing and a curse). Also, I find that the longer my hair gets, the less I have to wash it - maybe the sebum has more surface area to cover? I used to have to wash every day, but now I only wash about twice a week. I only wash when I need to, and the added length has really cut down on the time I need to dedicate to that :)

On other people, I don't think it's my place to say what's too long. To each his own - If you like a certain length, go for it :) I have a friend who keeps her hair length between a bob and a pixie, with blunt bangs, and it is gorgeous :crush: So much hair envy!

Whijun
September 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I don't know where I would stop yet (and I'm already reaching knees).

On other people, it should be well cared for.

In general though, I don't think there is such a thing as too long.

enfys
September 29th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I can't imagine opting for longer than knee length. Classic is just an interim goal for me before I shoot for fingertip, and that's close to knee...I have grave concerns about the weight though. I don't have thin hair!

For other people, I don't know. Or mind. So long as they are happy.

MissManda
September 29th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have no idea what will be too long for me in terms of hair length. I'm guessing anything after knee, but I won't know until my hair starts growing past classic. I know for sure that I couldn't stand anything more than ankle length.

As for everyone else, they can grow their hair as long as they want to if it makes them happy.

Like a few others have stated, I also feel bothered by the sight of hair dragging on the ground because I get freaked out by what could get caught in it and the damage that is being done to the hair.

Merewen
September 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
For others: no such thing. The longer it is, the farther down my jaw will drop.

For me: I'd prefer to not trip on it. I have no idea if I'll be good with hair I can't reach the ends of or not, but I definitely shouldn't be tripping on it.

julliams
September 29th, 2010, 07:14 PM
For me waist is ideal but since I am only a couple of inches away, I may even venture to tailbone. After that I think I would find it too long. I don't want to be sitting on it or having it get in the way in the bathroom, if you know what I mean. I think it will be too heavy at that stage too as I'm at past BSL now and it's already noticeably heavier. I guess that comes from having thick hair and alot of it.

Jules diamond
September 29th, 2010, 11:58 PM
For myself, tailbone is the lowest I could go without it being a problem. I'm not willing or coordinated enough to be able to deal with hair longer then that.

On others though, I can appreciate hair of all style, texture and length.

lajsa
September 30th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I think no length is too long as long as you don't find it too bothersome to deal with and live with. I mean, I wouldn't go "oh no, my hair is ankle length, it's too long!", but if it was so heavy I couldn't lift my head or something I might decide to cut it :p What I think I mean is that I don't think any length itself is "disgusting" or something like that. The longer it is, the more impressive. But if it makes life hard, it's too long.

Soraine
September 30th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I don't think there's such a thing as too long. I guess its all personal preference, what is long to others may not be long to you, vice versa. I do however feel that for me, if it gets too bothersome to upkeep then it may be time to cut and maintain at a less annoying length.