PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions from you lovely members?

angelfell
September 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM
So, I'm in the process of making my own routine for my own hair. I have, of course, taken to only shampooing my roots and conditioning the rest of the hair (and then roots too), and have avoided washing it every day like I used to. With this alone I have noticed an overall improvement in my hair. However, I'm unsure of where I should go next.. mainly because my hair does not need the same things all over. In fact, up until about 4 inches from the tips, it's very healthy and shiny. However, the last 4 inches.. is left-over perm damage, dryness, and split ends. I do get trims every 6-8 weeks of about 1/4 of an inch. I'm looking for tips of things to try and ways to do it so that I can treat the damage and all without affecting the healthy hair. Any ideas :)? I am willing to go out and buy just about anything.. when I get paid on Friday of course :p.

I am hoping to have pictures of me and my hair shortly. I have some older pictures (not really old) that gives a clue into what it looks like right now.. except for it's black at the moment rather than brown, but that's only semi-permanent.

little_cherry
September 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi there!

I suggest a deep treatment like the SMT (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128) to baby your ends followed by oiling the ends when the hair is damp after washing the SMT out with coconut oil.

RachieBaby
September 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Oiling my hair with coconut oil whilst damp has done wonders for my hair :) Doing deep treatments help too :)

angelfell
September 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
@little_cherry: I read that entire thread and I think I will try that soon, also following with the coconut oil to see how it does.

@RachieBaby: What kind do you use and where do you get it? Can a good brand be purchased at like.. WalMart?

Intransigentia
September 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Depending on the ethnic mix where you live, WalMart might or might not have coconut oil. I've gotten the same results with a grocery-store brand refined bleached deodorized coconut oil, and a fancy schmancy organic unrefined extra-virgin type. I prefer the coconut smell of the unrefined extra-virgin stuff.

Oh, and if you're one of the rare people whose hair doesn't like coconut oil, you can always use it instead of butter or margarine or other oil when you bake or fry. It's rich and yummy!

I've also read about using catnip for split ends, but haven't tried it myself.

angelfell
September 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Depending on the ethnic mix where you live, WalMart might or might not have coconut oil. I've gotten the same results with a grocery-store brand refined bleached deodorized coconut oil, and a fancy schmancy organic unrefined extra-virgin type. I prefer the coconut smell of the unrefined extra-virgin stuff.

Oh, and if you're one of the rare people whose hair doesn't like coconut oil, you can always use it instead of butter or margarine or other oil when you bake or fry. It's rich and yummy!

I've also read about using catnip for split ends, but haven't tried it myself.

Hagerstown has a mixture of all sort of people, and I'm fairly certain they even have an aisle labeled 'Ethnic Hair Care', so I should be okay then :p.

Catnip? We have that at my parents' house for my cat Muffin. I'll have to investigate :eyebrows:

jeanniet
September 28th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I would try an SMT, and daily oiling for your ends. If coconut oil doesn't work for you, try a different oil. I don't use coconut oil much anymore, because I've found that lighter oils (jojoba, camellia, and argan) work better for me on a daily basis, but everyone is different. You might also want to experiment with CO (conditioner only) to see how your hair likes it. I baby my ends, but I also baby the rest of my hair, because I know eventually that'll be my ends. ;)

You might consider trimming off 1/2" every time, rather than just 1/4". It's not that much more, but if you do that you'll have all the damage cut off in less than a year, and be on your way to longer, healthy hair!

angelfell
September 28th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I would try an SMT, and daily oiling for your ends. If coconut oil doesn't work for you, try a different oil. I don't use coconut oil much anymore, because I've found that lighter oils (jojoba, camellia, and argan) work better for me on a daily basis, but everyone is different. You might also want to experiment with CO (conditioner only) to see how your hair likes it. I baby my ends, but I also baby the rest of my hair, because I know eventually that'll be my ends. ;)

You might consider trimming off 1/2" every time, rather than just 1/4". It's not that much more, but if you do that you'll have all the damage cut off in less than a year, and be on your way to longer, healthy hair!

Hmm.. all these oils and such are such new words to me :p! I will have to look into them all. And that's true, I should still handle my healthy hair with care because eventually it will be my ends..

Very true.. I may even be so daring as to go 3/4 of an inch, then it will be even quicker, almost only 4 trims! My hair luckily *crosses fingers* grows at a decent rate, not very slowly.. so 3/4 every 2 months shouldn't hinder me too much right?

daaisychains
September 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Coconut oil, it will last you forever (seriously!) if you buy the solid stuff, and it is fantastic you can use it as a hair or body moisturiser it's that diverse. I usually put some on my eye lashes before i go to bed so i wake up with them soft in the morning.

Anje
September 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Definitely try oiling and an SMT. Try oiling heavily before a wash, and/or with a tiny dab after washing.

My Walmart carries virgin coconut oil with the herbal supplements in the pharmacy section. That might help you. Otherwise, check the oils and organic sections of supermarkets -- they tend to have assorted oils that are nice for hair. Coconut is a perpetual favorite (refined is nice if you don't like coconut scent, virgin smells lovely, brands like Parachute that I find at Indian groceries have a smokey-coconutty smell that some folks love and some avoid), but avocado, sweet almond, grapeseed, sesame, and olive oils are also popular.

You might like scalp massages. The main thing is to wiggle the scalp with your fingers more than move your fingers over your scalp and through the hair.

Finally, if your hair is long enough to get up, try putting it up to limit the wear on the ends. See if you can master a french twist -- they're great around shoulder-to-APL length, then get harder to do and require modifications as the hair gets longer.

angelfell
September 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
My hair is about 2 or 3 inches below shoulder length.. I'm not sure the EXACT length as measured by LHC.. until I get ahold of a tape measure, I pretty much googled each length in inches until I found something close to mine :p.

Coconut oil is suggested a lot.. which just makes me more eager to try it. I have tried olive oil and it has softened my hair for that day, but after washing, the softness is gone :(.