PDA

View Full Version : No comb No brush, anyone?

Leisa
May 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hi:) Who here doesn't use a comb or brush?

I stopped using a comb/brush about two months ago as an experiment. I'll fingercomb to remove a tangle but thats about it.

I have 2c hair. My hair twists into sections on its own which I just leave alone. Don't know if I'll continue on this track or not?

jesamyn
May 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've done the fingercomb-only thing when I was doing the Curly Girl routine. I stopped doing it 'officially' when I decided that the routine overall didn't work for me, but I still go days sometimes without taking a 'real' comb to my hair. It sort of depends on how my waves want to act on any given day. I think only people here or on naturallycurly.com would understand that doesn't mean that I don't groom it at all. ;)

jojo
May 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Id love to be able to do this but my hair goes too much like a scarecrows when I have tried.

Periwinkle
May 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I'm currently experimenting.

Up until a couple of months ago, I brushed my hair about 10 times a day. I then decided, after seeing some posts on here about the benefits of ditching the brush, to go cold turkey for a week. I had very few problems, but decided to go back to brushing simply because I always had. However, I found myself brushing less. I then found a wide-toothed wooden comb, and started using that, and found it to be far more successful than brushing or nothing. I'm currently finger-combing and using the comb, and it's working fabulously.

centurytoolate
May 24th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I quit brushing/combing after joining here. I may have taken a brush or comb to my hair a grand total of 12 times in two years. My hair has been very happy with it.

FrannyG
May 24th, 2008, 01:06 PM
This is something I would just love to do, however, my hair looks like separate pieces of spaghetti if I don't comb it. It always has, since I was a little girl.

Eden Iris
May 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'm experimenting with reduced combing and brushing: brush once a week just before washing, and comb only once a day before putting it up or braiding. I really think the brush is causing shedding, but finger combing alone isn't working for me -- I get tangles and I can't get my hair into a smooth bun.

Just_Isabel
May 24th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I usually only comb or brush my hair before washing, so about 1 - 2 times a week.
Combing my hair makes it go from curly to wavy, brushing makes me look horrible, finger combing is ok.

EdG
May 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I finger-untangle, only.

Pro: very gentle. :)

Con: time consuming and my hair is never completely untangled. :(
Ed

Dancewithme
May 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I haven't used a brush or a comb for about 2 years! I finger comb gently to detangle and that's it. I have super coarse hair, and it doesn't tangle very easily, so I don't know if that makes a difference. Brushing my hair makes it a puff ball lol :silly: Wide tooth combs are ok for my hair, but I have been fine just using my fingers.

swan
May 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
i finger-detangle everytime i wet my hair which is almost every day with few exceptions when i skip a day. i've not brushed for a few years now and stopped combing since about three years ago. but i do wonder sometimes if not brushing may damage the scalp or not --given there's so much talk of scalp exercise. i try to do gentle massages though if it can make up for a brush.

Haith
May 24th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I stopped brushing/combing about five years ago. My hair just tangles so easily that there really isn't any point. And, if I brush, my wavy hair goes straight and frizzy. The only thing that I use my comb for is to smooth out the sides of my french braid.

Riot Crrl
May 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Only in the shower with conditioner. This results in about 1% of the loss and breakage that I used to get from dry brushing it out before washing. I would try to just use my fingers but the job would never be thorough and my scalp demands being stroked with teeth or it is really not happy.

chloeishere
May 24th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I am a no-comber right now, because I lost my horn comb (I'm getting more, though), and I refuse to use brushes. They just make me look frizzy anyway.

My signature picture is uncombed/ finger combed only, right after my hair dried. My hair is less tangly at the damaged sections if I comb-- I only comb about once a day, or sometimes right before I put in an updo to smooth my hair out.
I do tend to get stringy or clumpy without combing, so that's why I do it. My hair is wavy, but I don't feel that it's wavy or thick enough to look good without being combed regulary.

florenonite
May 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I don't use either most of the time.

kimki
May 24th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I'm experimenting at the moment. I usually only comb once a day. Occassionally if I'm putting my hair up for a special reason I might use a brush to smooth it. But most of the time I just finger comb.

spidermom
May 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I try to avoid running my fingers through my hair. I drag out more hairs that way than I do with a comb. Also, it can become a rather unattractive, unconscious habit. I'm trying hard not to become someone who constantly fiddles about with my hair, and keeping my fingers out of it is part of that. They're just too darn handy! It's kind of a ritual with me: picking up the comb, spending some quality time detangling, oiling, and smoothing my hair.

AnneAdeline
May 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I comb, or else my hair gets all spaghetti-like as frannyg mentioned. I only use my boar bristle brush once every few days. Since LHC, I have stopped using any other brushes. They cause a lot of damage to my hair.

spidermom- I've been trying to stop playing with my hair. It really helps me to wear it up. If it's down, I just can't keep my hands away! This is something I do when nervous or tense, but I guess it's better than chewing on my fingernails.

1nuitblanche
May 24th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I don't use a brush or comb very often, except enough to get a decent looking part (sometimes it does that on its own though, which is fantastic). When I brush it, it doesn't stay brushed-looking long enough for me to think it's worth it.

CaityBear
May 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I sort of wish I could...but my hair would be a disaster then. lol

itsjackie
May 24th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I used to not use a comb ever - just finger comb - and my hair would always be poofy when it dried. But ever since I started combing my hair while it's wet, it turns out a lot prettier (:

momma smurf
May 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I have only used a brush/comb when I straightened my hair a couple of times to guide it through... Just detangle with my fingers on the average every day. :D

intothemist1999
May 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Me! Just finger combing now.

fatmoogas
May 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
An interesting alternative at any rate.

LilyMunster
May 25th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I have 2c hair and could go without combing. I already use no brush. I do mostly finger combing and every other day a really thorough wide tooth horn comb out. I have to mist at least and usually combing oil or conditioner as well.
I would end up losing more hair in breakage due to stubborn tangles if I gave up the horn comb altogether. I did a mini experiment 2 winters ago when I was flu sick for over a week. Tangle City.