PDA

View Full Version : Really Difficult Hair Stage Right Now-help

templeofvenus
September 28th, 2010, 08:24 AM
ok-here is my history.......

I have grown to past collar length from a very short bob. I have a blunt fringe some layers still, I colour my hair very dark and recently gave up all heat styling and keep this for special occasions. Have teeny trims every 4 months or so, have no split ends that I can see.

Right now I can get hair into a pnytail and twist at the back held with claw clip, however when its down and air dried it gets in my collar and annoys me a lot! even with a hairband in! from being a blow dryer to air drying has seen some odd hair behaviour! my hair is wavy all over the place! its curling in collar bits are flicking out, crazy little curls are popping in the under layer whats going on?! how do I manage this stage I really want to keep growing but its just not like my hair! I feel with length the waves will look fine but at this length aaaagh:confused:

I have tried no sulfates and no cones=more poofy frizz

sulfates and cones =more wave, still some frizz and in humidity crazy hair!

my hair is fine and I am scared ponytailing daily will break it

just looking for some advice or anyone with same issues since giving up flat iron etc

hope some of you hair gurus can help

breezefaerie
September 28th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I think everyone who has grown out their hair has gone through similar growing pains :(

Maybe try aloe to help smooth out the baby hairs?

templeofvenus
September 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I think everyone who has grown out their hair has gone through similar growing pains :(

Maybe try aloe to help smooth out the baby hairs?

like aloe vera gel applied to dry hair you mean? I have some at home I could try that! thanks! and yes I think its just a maddening stage at present I have to get through :)

spidermom
September 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I'd try some products too, things that help to smooth out and set the waves. I've been using a Fructis curl creme lately; it helps to smooth down the frizz as well as give definition to my spiral curls.

At your length my hair was so poofy and unmanageable that I used heat styling tools a lot. I ended up with a lot of damage to cut out, and I'm not sure it was worth it, but at the time it helped me feel better about how my hair looked.

templeofvenus
September 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'd try some products too, things that help to smooth out and set the waves. I've been using a Fructis curl creme lately; it helps to smooth down the frizz as well as give definition to my spiral curls.

At your length my hair was so poofy and unmanageable that I used heat styling tools a lot. I ended up with a lot of damage to cut out, and I'm not sure it was worth it, but at the time it helped me feel better about how my hair looked.

I will try and use something to tame the frizzy bits I am worried its damage from previous heat stying :confused: but to be honest its more like waves with some fuzz?? I really want to avoid the heat styling and prevent me having to cut later, so maybe a leave in conditioner and scrunch it will work I am bit lost with it but determined to get past this point as its the best I have grown it for a good 5 years always given up and got it cut by now!

HereIGrowAgain
September 28th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Each time, when I've grown out my hair, as soon as it's long enough to use heated styling tools, but not long enough to put up, I've used the blowdriers and flatirons. Then, the moment it's long enough to get slicked up into rolls or buns, I put it up like that and the drier and iron gets put away. Yes, it's damaging to the hair, but for me, it's better than hating what I look like.

Also, I have a sneaky way of putting my hair up when it's not quite long enough for regular buns and such - I get a banana clip (one that is very plain and flat), and put it in my hair. Then GENTLY pull it to the end of the shortest layer. Next, start rolling it towards your hair. Once the thing is laying on your head with the curve of the clip matching the curve of your head, pin like crazy. It'll give you a quick, fake french roll; it gets your hair "up" much sooner than waiting for traditional methods; and, if you are gentle and roll it loosely, you won't get any damage from the clip.

templeofvenus
September 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Each time, when I've grown out my hair, as soon as it's long enough to use heated styling tools, but not long enough to put up, I've used the blowdriers and flatirons. Then, the moment it's long enough to get slicked up into rolls or buns, I put it up like that and the drier and iron gets put away. Yes, it's damaging to the hair, but for me, it's better than hating what I look like.

Also, I have a sneaky way of putting my hair up when it's not quite long enough for regular buns and such - I get a banana clip (one that is very plain and flat), and put it in my hair. Then GENTLY pull it to the end of the shortest layer. Next, start rolling it towards your hair. Once the thing is laying on your head with the curve of the clip matching the curve of your head, pin like crazy. It'll give you a quick, fake french roll; it gets your hair "up" much sooner than waiting for traditional methods; and, if you are gentle and roll it loosely, you won't get any damage from the clip.

aha great tip for a fake roll! I could do that! I can do a peacock twist now with a claw clip, but do claw clips damage? it has no metal on it and doesn't seem to snag the hair?

breezefaerie
September 28th, 2010, 08:42 AM
You can use the aloe gel like a hair gel. It's not drying and is good for your hair.

templeofvenus
September 28th, 2010, 08:51 AM
You can use the aloe gel like a hair gel. It's not drying and is good for your hair.

will try that thanks :)

HereIGrowAgain
September 28th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I've never noticed any damage from a claw clip. French barrettes have snagged and snapped my hair quite a bit, and of course any rubber or metal bands.

Danaus plexippu
September 28th, 2010, 09:16 AM
When my hair was that stage, I pinned it up with small butterfly clips into a messy updo. Just start in the front and twist it then clip it. Do this all around your head (I'd have four or five twists and clips). Leave the ends loose in the back and walla...messy updo.

aenflex
September 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Right about there with you in length, my friend. And aside from fuss with it and keep it away, there is nothing I can do about the ends of my hair interfering with my collars, scarves, whatever. I just put it up and try to forget about it. The texture of my canopy is completely different than my underneath hair as well. I've found with my hair that the different textures tend to even out when it gets longer, BSL.

spidermom
September 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I have not found claw clips to be damaging. You can feel along the seams and make sure there are no sharp ridges. If there are, you can file them down.

CrisDee
September 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Come on over to the Super-Shorties Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405)! There are a whole bunch of us over there trying not to lose our minds while growing out a variety of short cuts with all sorts of hair textures - i'm sure you'll get many suggestions there :flower: