PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Place To S&D

Dragon
September 28th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Where is your favourite place to S&D?

Mine is in front of the computer screen.

ilovelonghair
September 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Good idea! But I do mine outside in the sun. Got to try the computer one, but I bet the ends will end up in my keyboard....

spidermom
September 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM
In the truck as a passenger on long trips.

kitten1986
September 28th, 2010, 07:02 AM
on the kitchen bench much to DBF's disgust hahaha :disgust:

I have black hair and I find it easier to find white dots/splits when the hair is against a dark background (such as the granite kitchen bench)

the only thing that really annoys me about s&d though is that i still cant see the hair at the back when I bring it around, so I am afraid that the back is a bit neglected at this stage!

Heidi_234
September 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I have black hair and I find it easier to find white dots/splits when the hair is against a dark background (such as the granite kitchen bench)

S&D under good but scattered light over a distant black background works best for me too. I do it by a windows with a black spread over my legs. :)

the only thing that really annoys me about s&d though is that i still cant see the hair at the back when I bring it around, so I am afraid that the back is a bit neglected at this stage!
You can separate the sections of hair you feel are not getting much attention and do them separately. I routinely separate my canopy hair and my nape layer and S&D them separately, because they get many split ends there.

masa_inn
September 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
In traffic. For some reason, car lighting is the best :confused:

Merewen
September 28th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Either in front of the computer screen or in the morning light coming though the window.

Angeletti
September 28th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I love to be outside in natural light but since I rarely leave my house I usually do it in front of the computer screen as well.

estherbeth
September 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM
In front of the computer screen. I bring up a notepad window (for the bright white) and hold my ends up in front of it to snip. :toofers:

Jenn of Pence
September 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM
At my desk at work...not because of lighting, but I always find myself looking at my ends and distracting myself from doing my work. ;) I also like car trips where I'm a captive audience.

YesitsReal
September 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
In the truck as a passenger on long trips.

Not to change the subject, but I totally read this at first as "In the trunk as a passenger on long trips"! lol...I was wondering why they made you ride in the trunk! And how you could do S&D in the dark! :rolleyes:

Siava
September 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
At my desk when nobody is looking. :couch:

HuggyBear
September 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM
In the car while waiting in line to pick up the kids from school. Always keep a small pair of hair scissors in the car. :)

jeanniet
September 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
In my chair under a lamp while watching TV (sort of).

christine1989
September 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I second in front of the computer screen! Since my hair is dark the light from the screen helps the taipered ends show up. I just put a paper towel over the keyboard and snip away. :)

lsnyder09
September 28th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Not to be Naive, but I'm still learning all the wonderful terms of the longheads...what exactly does S&D stand for? Thank you for bestowing your knowledge on me oh great wise ones :drama:

Carrowyn
September 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Newbie here, but I'm familiar with the term. Please correct me if I'm wrong at all though! S&D means search and destroy, and in hair terms is means going through each strand of hair, finding split ends, and snipping them off. Time consuming, but I'm thinking of starting to do it for myself, since it's been forever since I've had a trim. I'm terrified to get a trim too since hairdressers always take off more than "an inch". :mad:

PrincessBob
September 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Search and destroy, you cut away the split ends, fairy knots and white dots from individual hairs. I do it on my couch in front of the computer screen (which is next to the tv) while watching netflix.

JenniferNoel
September 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I haven't done it since I started the wear hair up for a couple months challenge (I'm contemplating going for a year!) but when I do, I like to do it in the bathroom, alone and quiet. It's relaxing.

Olivia23
September 28th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I've also found the car seems the best place to see split ends but it's too messy. My favorite place is outside in my favorite patio chair.

eamane
September 28th, 2010, 02:58 PM
In front of the computer :) I have tried to S&D outside the sun at times but it doesn't work as well...

VitisVinifera
September 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
In front of the computer. Our keyboard is on one of those slide-out shelves so I try to remember to push it back. That's another reason I love LHC - the light background!:D

Carolyn
September 28th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I keep a pair of my hair scissors on my lapdesk so I can S & D while I surf the net. Most of my S & D is done during computer time.

Shellby
September 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have been doing this for years. I had no idea other people did it, too. I do it usually in my bathroom since the light in there is great. I used to do it with a magnifying light up mirror when I lived at home. I have a small cuticle scissors that work really well. Snip snip.

supermanok03
September 28th, 2010, 06:29 PM
AT WORK or while i'm supposed to be studying/doing assignments. this is the time i'm most fidgety and have nothing else to distract myself with except for my hair lol.

autumn_aqua
September 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM
It would definitely be in the car if I wasn't driving. That's the only place the splits really show up for me. I've considered just going someplace to park and snip, but I'm worried someone would think I was engaging in suspicious behavior and might call the police. I'd hate to have to try and explain! :oops:

Dars
September 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM
At my desk which is an off white colour and has sunlight coming through from the window next to it. And also in my car parked at a park I go to relax in summer with music turned on and the windows rolled down. :)

RadiantNeedle
September 29th, 2010, 04:49 AM
At my computer/work desk with natural light coming in the window right beside me.

GrowAlready
September 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I really wish I could do it at work. Something about the lighting. I was finding a bunch the other night, then got home and couldn't find them. Too bad I can't have any "weapons" at work. I can't even bring my crochet hook!

JuneBride
September 29th, 2010, 08:33 PM
What are some scissor brand/type recommendations? I need to start doing this...

Soraine
September 30th, 2010, 03:14 AM
In the light coming in from my living room window, and my bedside lamp.