PDA

View Full Version : Putting the benign in 'benign neglect'

guilty_biscuit
September 28th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Confession: I am really, really bad at putting my hair up. My hair is about shoulder length and very fine, prone to slipping out of all sorts of clips, barrettes, pins, and ponytails--although, honestly, my failure to style my hair is at least 50% incompetence on my part, and 50% difficult hair. I have failed at everything from a simple english braid to a messy bun.

I would like to start practicing a little benign neglect--just throwing my hair up and forgetting about it until it gets some growth, but I'm having trouble doing anything but a plain jane pony tail, and I'm a little worried that over time I will damage my hair that way.

Are there any extremely simple, even-a-complete-incompetent-can-do-this hairstyles that are gentle on the hair, professional looking, and don't fall apart if your hair is super fine/slippy?

Also, is there anyone else out there who struggles with this kind of thing?

tinti
September 28th, 2010, 06:27 AM
There's allways the french twist or peacock twist you could do, and put a sturdy claw clip in, like I do all the time.
French twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tr4-zNno6Q
Peacoc twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmX88wOShQM
Just use clips instead of the combs, or whatever you have.

Or topsy tails is also something a bit different :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS03cxWcU5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLri2c12xOU

Also you can change where you put your pony so you don't keep damaging the same hair.

bumblebums
September 28th, 2010, 06:29 AM
It would be easier to give you advice on hairstyles if you tell us what your hair type is. But at 19" (which is what it says in your profile), your best bet is probably a peacock twist. Sock buns are pretty easy--if you can do a ponytail, you can do a sock bun.

guilty_biscuit
September 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
I'm not totally sure I understand the hair classifying descriptions--so here's my best try:

My hair is very fine, straight, and medium thickness (pony tail circumference is about 1 3/4 to 2 in). It has no wave to it, but when it is rainy outside it frizzes like nobody's business.

What is a sock bun? Forgive my ignorance--but I am totally picturing a bun with a sock over it...

bumblebums
September 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Have a look at the articles--there is a whole section on styles. And Torrin Paige has a youtube video for the sock bun (although there are many others).

MandyBeth
September 28th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Similar hair. French braids work. Otherwise, my ends don't stay in anything.

spidermom
September 28th, 2010, 08:05 AM
A peacock twist is about all I could manage at that length.

moominhapa
September 28th, 2010, 08:14 AM
If you like wearing a ponytail, go ahead! I would't worry too much about damage. As long as you use a hair friendly elastic (like a fluffy scrunchie) and try to put the ponytail on different places on your head every once in a while, I think you'd be fine until your hair grows out long enough to do some buns. Alternatively, french braids and twists with claw clips or similar work well on that length, I think.

d1angel
September 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm right there with you - 19 inches, straight hair, too short for most updos. I use a claw clip part of the time, and a "messy bun" some of the time. (My messy bun is to put my hair in a pony, but not pull the hair all the way through the last twist of the elastic, so it is sort of doubled up.)

x0h_bother
September 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Use a pencil or whatever is handy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Meh8Swh38

CrisDee
September 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Your hair sounds very similar in texture to mine. Unfortunately my hair is too short for my favorite "benigh neglect" hairstyle (a type of French twist), otherwise I'd make a video of it and post it somewhere. But I'll try to just explain it.

Gather your hair into a low ponytail in your hand. Twist it, and at the same time, begin to pull the end of the pony up toward the top of your head, creating a rolled effect from the base of the ponytail to the top of your head. When you reach the top of your head, fold the remaining length as necessary and stuff it under the roll. Secure it with whatever you have handy - most of the time when I did this style, the only thing on hand was a stick pen, so that's what I used. I've also used a French twist comb and a couple small two-prong forks I have. Now that I've discovered LHC, I've invested in a couple hair forks that I can't WAIT til my hair is long enough to use! :)

Laylah
September 28th, 2010, 05:05 PM
You could try 2 english braids. That might be easier since you can see what you're doing facing the mirror.

guilty_biscuit
September 28th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I love Torrin Paige's youtube page, but I have yet to successfully replicate a single hairstyle she's shown (frown). She has beautiful hair, though.

Maybe this is just me (and seriously, again, I'm pretty hair-incompetent), but claw clips just fall right out of my hair. I don't know if it is that they are too heavy or what.

Maybe I'm just stuck with a pony for the time being...

guilty_biscuit
September 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Oh, yes--the double english braids I can do moderately well. Back when I used to wait tables this was my hairstyle of choice, since it kept my hair out of the way really well and kept hair off my neck during hot outdoor summer days on the lunch shift.

Mostly stopped doing it lately because I teach college students and since I am young myself I try to look as professional as possible--the double braids have the unfortunate side effect of making me look about 12.

bumblebums
September 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I love Torrin Paige's youtube page, but I have yet to successfully replicate a single hairstyle she's shown (frown). She has beautiful hair, though.

Maybe this is just me (and seriously, again, I'm pretty hair-incompetent), but claw clips just fall right out of my hair. I don't know if it is that they are too heavy or what.

Maybe I'm just stuck with a pony for the time being...

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/search/0/EcTLnOvOEyw

Just skip the braided part.

The claw clip thing: some of the ones you buy at the drugstore just suck. Look for ones made in France--I don't know why, but they are just nicer. Everything from the shape to the texture to the quality is better than the regular drugstore stuff... Often, they'll be in a separate stand at the end of the aisle, at least in the drugstores I've seen (in the US, of course).

You can also do a Gibson tuck.

tinker bug
September 28th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Have you tried dumping it into hats or snoods?

luthien_belewen
September 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Don't feel bad that you can't get your hair into an English braid or messy bun--those are hard for shoulder length hair. (I still can't pull off a decent English braid yet, need more length, and I've just barely begun to manage a small bun) French braids are better for this length--but take practice!

Try a sock bun--pony tail your hair, get the cut-off end of a sock, roll it up, stick on the base of the pony, cover the sock with the pony hair, secure with another elastic. You can tuck the lose ends around the base, or just leave it for a cute messy look.

As far as the clips go, those jaw clips are hard to stay in my hair too (I have similar hair to you--fine, straight, somewhat thick), and I've had limited success with them. Try a Ficcare or beak clip. I have a little metal beak clip and it holds my french/peacock twists perfectly, they have a bit tighter fit, and will stay in all day! Just twist a low pony to the back of your head and slide the clip sideways across the twist.