PDA

View Full Version : Music to Create By...

BrightBlack
September 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
So for the last hour or so I've been sitting here slowly creating a new hairstick by wearing out some semblance of a pattern with a file (don't feel like working with a dremel & too clumsy for knives hehehe) and listening to some music. My playlist was on random until I hit on Beethoven's Pathetique and I set it to play the rest of his works.

That got me to wondering, what do you listen to while working on a new hair stick (or any other hairtoy)?

Do you have a standard or do you follow the inclinations of mood?

Do you watch a TV show or movie to get creativity flowing? If so what do you watch?

What turns your static into clear images?

akuamoonmaui
September 27th, 2010, 08:33 PM
When I have to think I go to classical, too.

Cleaning - jazz

Amraann
September 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I go with my inclination at the time..

But when I first saw the title of your thread I was going to suggest classical.
LOL

pepperminttea
September 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm not a hairtoy maker, but in terms of music that clarifies creativity for me, it's usually contemporary classical or film scores. My favourites are Max Richter, Yann Tiersen, Philip Glass, and Michael Nyman.

JenniferNoel
September 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Film scores are great - some can be distractingly good, so proceed with caution. :D Thinking music often involves "white noise" music, like free form jazz at a low tempo or consistent classical.

Konstifik
September 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I like to listen to music from console/PC-games that I've played and liked. Makes me inspired by both the good music and the good time I had playing it. :D
Right now the Halo soundtracks get my mind going!

LittleOrca
September 27th, 2010, 11:49 PM
What do you listen to while working on a new hair stick (or any other hairtoy)?
Probably the same thing I am listening to when I create any other kind of art, visual or written. I listen to a lot of Celtic music, cultural music (Indian, Native American, Chinese, etc), or the group Within Temptation which is symphonic rock/metal.

Do you have a standard or do you follow the inclinations of mood?
I usually pick my music to match my mood at the time and therefore the art that is created is a reflection of both.

Do you watch a TV show or movie to get creativity flowing? If so what do you watch?
My television is on sometimes as background noise, mostly on Animal Planet, Nickelodeon, A&E, TNT, TBS, or a paranormal show when I am doing art or just in general. They don't really inspire me unless I am working on an image of a spectral figure or working on something that is very flowing or tragic, then you can guess what show inspires me the most. ;)

What turns your static into clear images?
The images are not always clear when I begin to work. Sometimes the piece just evolves out of it. This also happens with my hair toys. I know kind of what I want, and then as I finish up I may change the beads or the color or the style or the pose (if the stick has a sculpted animal on it) until it is what I think the perfect look is.

Quezie
September 28th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I used to listen to mostly Architecture in Helsinki when I drew. It made me feel energetic, and childish maybe. :p

serious
September 28th, 2010, 03:58 AM
I prefer to work in silence :shrug:

HereIGrowAgain
September 28th, 2010, 08:45 AM
When I make my beads I listen to the Celtic Tides cd. (I'm a beginning lampworker, and plan on learning how to make hairsticks one of these days to put my beads on!)

I've played the piano since I was 5, so I can't listen to classical music without becoming completely tense. Every muscle in my body tenses up, as I am listening for any timing, tonal, or random error. It sucks. :rolleyes:

luxepiggy
September 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
I usually like baroque music when I'm designing - I love François Couperin, especially Les Concerts Royaux & Les Gouts Réunis! (^(oo)^)v

RadiantNeedle
September 28th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I'm currently on a huge Miriam Stockley kick at the moment, but I liberally mix that with Rajaton, Déanta, Capercaillie, Karl Jenkins and sundry others. I can go through thousands of songs while I work, and I can't work without music, I've found!