PDA

View Full Version : which side of the family do you get your hair from?

TealDolphin
September 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Texture, color, thickness/thinness, etc.

I get my thickness and wavy/curlyness from my mom's side; I get my color from my dad's side.

tinti
September 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I think I got my thickness and color from my dads side, the texture from my mom. She started out as a wavy 2a, and now she has cute wurls.

pepperminttea
September 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Texture: I'm not really sure. My mother tells me her hair was never as fine as mine is, even when she was my age, and it doesn't run in my father's side either. Neither side has much waviness either, but since I managed to get mother to go cone-free, she's noticed more wavies so who knows. :)
Colour: My mother; auburn-ish brown. If I go silver the same way she has, it'll be all at the front, and dark at the back. I'm hoping I'll get it either evenly or go silver all over.
Thickness: Both sides.

mcaleeac
September 27th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Insane thickness and texture from my dad's Korean side, waviness and auburn color from my mom's Scottish/Austrian side. My sister got the reverse: stick straight, dark korean hair combined with thin fine texture from mom!

JulietCapulet
September 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
The patriarchal line I believe.

sugarpixie10988
September 27th, 2010, 09:08 PM
My moms! My dads side is pretty curly, and dark for the most part. My mom had blonde hair when she was younger, like I did, and it grew into a dirty blonde like mine is now. Hers was also pretty straight, but it seems to have gotten curlier as she's gotten older. I believe I also get my thickness from my moms side, but I'm not too sure about that.

Dragon
September 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure who my hair is from.

christine1989
September 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I'm adopted so technically neither side. I'm just about the only person in my family with dark brown hair. My cousin is adopted too and her birth family must have had the magic hair genes because her hair went from BSL to waist in 4 months! I'm so jealous! She chemically dyes, straightens, blow drys and still it grows like a weed.

swivelhop
September 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I have two-textures of hair, so take my mom's hair and my dad's and cram them all on one head. Then the color is all from my father's side.

Aleria
September 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Colour from my mom, everything else from my dad. I have the typical wavy, coarse, fishing-line thick strands so typical of natives here on the coast. However.. most of them have at least waist or TBL hair, so maybe it's a good sign! And my mom's barely got any greys at nearly fourty, so I may have gotten the best of both worlds.

Lady Mary
September 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Dad's hair (hopefully not his hairloss!) and color could be from either. My hair is red, my mother is Irish and my father is Scottish, so it's anyone's guess.

misspriss
September 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Mostly from my Dad. My Mom's hair is straight as can be and red/reddish brown. My Dad's hair (back when he had some) and his Mother's hair is dark brown and curly/wavy. Thick, dark, curly hair runs in his family. Red hair runs in my Mom's. I guess I get my tendency to gain red highlights in the sun from her side?

estherbeth
September 27th, 2010, 10:00 PM
My answer is equal parts 'no idea' and 'both sides'. Both my mom's and my father's families have mostly fine, straight hair, and both sides have slight variants on the same shade of red hair. So I have not the first clue.

Loreley
September 27th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I got my dad's hair. Thick, medium/coarse, wavy/curly, dark brown. My mom has very fine, thin, straight, brown hair.

Alix
September 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I get my thickness from both, I get my fine hair from my dad, I get my waves from my mom, and my color comes from both I suppose, since they both have dark brown hair and mine is light brown.

Neneka
September 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
My dad's although his hair went black in my age and mine remains silvery. :( My mom and sister are both blondes and everyone in my mothers' side have much finer and thinner hair than I have. I have it fine too but not like that (maybe I am F/M, not F)... I look like my father so much that I am always saying that I am sure about my father but not my mother if I look at myself.

Jules diamond
I've been told that my mom's mom used to have hair sort of like mine. Other then her, I'm the only one.

clkingtx
I think both. I guess both sides have similar hair!

MandyBeth
September 27th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Texture - all mom. Density is dad. Mix for the attempt to wave. Color - the mid shade is mom, but how I have no warm tones, that's the mailman. No one on either side has ashy tones, tons of blonde and red.

ETA:

Oh and mailman thing is a joke, as I am the kid who looks the most like him. As I get older and there are pics of his mom and me at the same age, we look like identical twins.

VitisVinifera
September 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Hard to tell - both sides are pretty similar. I do know I got the greasies from my dad's side:D And neither of them went gray until they were in their fifties, so here's hoping I got those genes as well!

pennyroyal
September 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM
My dad, fer sure. He has thick hair and my mom's is thinner. He still doesn't have much gray yet either so i am hoping i get that from him too!

Quixii
September 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Both my parents had blonde hair as a kid, which then darkened to brown by adulthood. Mine's still blonde (my mom's was brown by now, I don't remember about my dad), so I'm not sure what to say about that.
My mom's side of the family all had straight or wavy hair. My curly hair definitely comes from my dad. He probably has 3a/3b, if not completely 3b curls. He keeps it a bit too short to tell completely.

linnepinne
September 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM
I got the texture from my father for sure, my mother had much coarser hair yhan me. But i'm not to sure about rhe colour... Both my parents had really dark hair, black and dark brown. But i'm sort of dark blonde with honey streaks. My guess is my grandmother on my fathers side, or maybe the milkman? :p

Blond Unicorn
September 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I got my hair from my mom's side; which is partial cool. They have thicker and more hair, but get white (not grey, directly white) early. My Grandmom (97y) still has a lot of hair which makes me happy.
My father is nearly 70 now and has thin hair but no bold patches and not 1 hair grey.......

xoxophelia
September 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I guess I get my color from my mom's side and the texture from my dad's. I thought my hair was curlier but it turns out that was just damage. It is only loose waves :)

beez1717
September 28th, 2010, 02:32 AM
I don't know where I get my hair from since I'm adopted and we don't know my birth father at all, and we barely know my birth mother (oh well, I don't really care much at all anyway since my parents to me are the ones who adopted me)

Newniepg
September 28th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I got a bit of both, the frizziness and wave I get from my Dad but I get the colour, texture and freak streak of blonde from my Mum. Its weird, hers blonde is in exactly the same place as mine. :)

Alex Lou
September 28th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I got the red from both mom and dad. A recessive gene from each makes a redhead, although my dad doesn't have red hair. From my dad I also received extremely thick hair that started out blond and got dark as I got older. I got straight hair from him too, although at puberty, some gene from my maternal great-grandfather kicked in and I got some curl.

Lisa R
September 28th, 2010, 04:51 AM
I get my fine hair from both sides. It has a very very slight wave which I get from my mum. My colour is mainly from my mum (brown) with hints of red highlights in the light (from dad!).

Unzadi
September 28th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Complete strangers, as I'm adopted, but I have met a birth sister, and her hair is the same natural color as mine, enhanced to the same desired color, and she's also a longhair. Her hair is curlier whereas mine is wavy.

Nobody in either side of my family (as with other adoptees, my real parents are the ones who raised me) had hair like mine. Dad's side = 100% Mexican Basque. Mom's side = 100% Italian. Birth mother's last name = English or Irish ancestry.

candlesandfish
September 28th, 2010, 06:31 AM
My dad's grandmother, apparently! None of my family on his side have long hair so I can't be sure, but my mum's side all have fine hair that doesn't grow long and is dead straight. I have wavy very long hair, although my great grandmother's was red and mine is brown, albeit with red highlights. She was cornish, if that makes any difference :)

I have the height (or lack thereof), tiny hands and feet and brown almond shaped eyes to match, though thankfully I got an hourglass figure instead of the rather cuddly one that runs on that side of the family. Essentially they look like hobbits! :D

Luna12345
September 28th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Most of my fathers side have curly hair, Most of my moms side have straight hair and a few curly...so I guess since I have curly hair ...I take from both!:)

Merewen
September 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
The color I suppose comes from my dad's side of the family, since my aunt and cousins have blond hair (I'm the only one in my immediate family!). The not-so-thickness probably comes from my mom. I have no idea where the curl comes from. Neither parent's hair is nearly as curly as mine (my dad's is stick straight), but I have aunts and uncles that have some curl on both sides.

Actually, I have a cousin on my mom's side with hair that looks almost exactly like mine, so maybe more of it comes from her than I thought.

So, who knows?

angelfell
September 28th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I am adopted. I don't know who my birth father is, but I know who my birth mother is, and I'd say I think I got it allll from her. The texture, the color, everything. I didn't get her eyes, though.. she had bright brown eyes, almost golden. Mine are.. blue/grey/green/whatever they feel like being. I guess I got my eyes from him.. the mystery man :p.

HuggyBear
September 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I got everything from my mom's side. All of her side of the family have light, fine, straight hair. My dad's side has dark, thick, curly hair. My brother got my dad's hair and I got my mom's.

CryssieWillow
September 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
It is a pretty even mix. My dad is a curly and my mom has straight hair. The canopy texture is mom and the underlying hair is dad.
Colour is also even.

Intransigentia
September 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Both sides of my family have varying shades of brown, so the colour could be from anywhere.

But my mom, and most of her relatives (and my brother) have definitely-curly hair; my dad's side almost all has waves or even wurls; the closest thing I have to a wave is that when my hair is cut in layers some of the ends will flip outwards ever so slightly. Texture is from the mailman?

I hope I get the early-greying from my dad's side (yay, I have a dozen grey hairs already!) but not the menopausal thinning.

sibiryachka
September 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Dad's - lots of people in his family, including him, started life as blond children then darkened to some shade of brown by adulthood. My natural color is much lighter than either parent's, but lots of relatives on Dad's side have hair just like mine. The snow-whiteness and texture of my silvers, though, is straight out of Mom's family. Go figure.

AlleyKitten
September 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I get the color from my father's side, my grandmother had red hair, and there are a lot of blondes on that side, as well as reddish-brown tints. I probably get the condition more from my mother, who had long hair (elbow-length, so not super long) in college, and said that she "always had to keep whacking it off to keep it at that length". Nobody on my dad's side has long hair except sometimes one uncle.

My brother has the reddish-brown hair, much darker than mine, but it's also fine and thick, and I think it would look great long.

Jezerellica
September 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
My Dad!!! Thanks Daddy!! Long eyelashes, hair type, and even the pattern of hair growth on my legs. It is hilarious!

Mom has like no hair on her legs. Soooo, that would be nice but whatever. The hair on my head and lashes make up for it!

Purdy Bear
September 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
From my Fathers side, including the alopecia. I had curly very dark brown almost black hair, it was extremely thick, which I think may be a link to the Canadian Native American somewhere in the family history. Im the only one with Alopecia Univarlis though, most of those that have had it stay with Areata.

Phexlyn
September 29th, 2010, 02:39 AM
My mum's side, definitely. The colour, the texture, even the hairline is the same. :)

constantki
September 29th, 2010, 04:14 AM
My mom's hair is too damaged for me to be completely sure. My hair resembles my dad's a lot though in thickness and color although mine is curlier and his hairs are much finer than mine are.

strawberrywine
September 29th, 2010, 04:20 AM
half and half :) my dad has brown curly hair and my mum has strawberry blonde wavy hair. colour from my dad texture from my mum.

sunshine-locks
September 29th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hmph. A mix of both, really
Mum's is medium thickness, slightly wavy, rich brown and has very little silver although shes into her mid 50's :O
Father's is..thin, he's nearly bald.. completely straight, and half strawberry blonde, half white. but it's hard to remember since i only see him 1-2 times a year.

BrightBlack
September 29th, 2010, 06:27 AM
The waves from my mother - the color came from about 3 generations back on my father's side. LOL

I was born blonde with blue eyes to people in brown/brown families. Of course my poor hair darkened about 4th grade to an unimpressive shade of blah (though there is a lovely coppery shine in the sunlight...)

I'm still the only one with blue eyes ^_^ Mom said there were a lot of milkman jokes. hehehe

bumblebums
September 29th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I'm a composite. The color is mostly mom, the texture is mostly dad. My hair is thicker than my mom's, more like my dad's.

FrannyG
September 29th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I definitely get my hair from my dad's side. Fine hair, but lots of it.

drquartz1970
September 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I believe I inherited my naturally curly hair from my maternal grandfathers family tree. They were of Scottish - English descent.

GrowAlready
September 29th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I think it is a combo. I get my waves and thickness from my mom. I get the color from my dad I suppose since mom is a blond.

julia941
September 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
My hair is 100% from my father's side. It is very thick and lt. brown with natural blond and auburn lights in it. I'm very happy about that - my mother's hair is very thin yellow-blond and I've sometimes wondered if she loved him for his hair (in the 60's his was very long and thick). She always kept my hair long as a child. I've read that the best predictor of male baldness is the mother's father's hair. If so, my son is also very lucky because my father still has a very thick head of hair (whereas my husband has already lost a lot of hair and his maternal grandfather was completely bald). My son's hair is like mine, just a little darker.

nemileo
September 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I have all the other colors from my mother, but I didnt get the haircolor:mad: So I have olive skin, brown eyes, dark lashes and brows and mousy hair....
Texture is close to my dads wavy and messy mane. Some of my hairs are very fine, and some are more solid and curly, so it could be quite a mess. I am happy for the volume though there are always waves going in different directions...:D

Calaelen
September 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
I get everything about my hair from my dad's side. My mom has thin, fine textured, stick straight, brown hair.

My dad had thick, medium, slightly wavy, blonde hair.,all of which I have, my blonde hair is colored brown, because I might be the only person in the world who was born with a hair colour that did not suit them in any way.

Sagi1982
September 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Thickness: from my mom.
(Natural) color and texture: my father's side, he was also a natural blonde.

Laylah
September 30th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I get the thickness and texture (thick, wavy-almost-curly) from my father's side, especially his grandmother. I get my color from my mother (black).

rena
July 24th, 2011, 04:03 AM
My mom had fine, stick straight dirty blonde hair that is now a light shade of brown. Even though its thinned out she still has an impressively thick braid. She told me she used to have so much hair that she could easily have 4 of those braids! Thats like iiii hair! Dad had very dark brown almost black curly hair which mom claimed was even thicker than hers! It was on the coarse side too I think. Dad started greying in his teens while mom still has color in her late 50s. My hair is no where near the thickness of my parents' when they were my age. Still wondering what happened there.

Sooo, put those together and I get medium brown hair that is on the finer side, i/ii thickness (boo!), with everything from fine and straight to coarse and curly. I don't see any greys so I think I may follow mom's slow grey trend.

Plumeria
July 24th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I have my structure probably from my Dad`s Side. But no one really knows. :lol:. I am the only one with this kind of hair. The whole family has more or less curly hair. Mine is very straight. My hair is fine and the thickness is somewhere between thin and normal but it is clearly thicker than the hair of my mum`s family. The colour is (as blond always is) a product of both side´s.

Sweet Beat
July 24th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I think both... There are relatives having similar hairtype compared to mine both in my mom's and dad's side :)

Henrietta
July 24th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I take my hair totally after my mum. Colour and texture... She used to dye it and had perm, but her virgin hair was exactly like mine.
If I had my dad's genes in this place I'd have black hair. There was a time I regretted it but now I'm happy with my colour. Braids like crown and lace are more visible on lighter hair ;)

Jing
July 24th, 2011, 05:22 AM
I'm a bit of a mash-up. My dad had black hair and my mom was Scandinavian blonde (they're both all grey/white now). I ended up with medium brown, with copper and silver tints. As for texture, I'm not sure. Dad's hair is too short to type and he's been balding since I was a little kid, but his sisters all have curls, and are maybe on the slightly coarse side of medium. Mom is something like 1b, judging by older pictures, but I have no idea about strand thickness. She's been dying and styling her hair since before I was born.

Krentje
July 24th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Mom and Grandma are 3B strong curls, medium blonde.
It is not very certain who my dad is... so i have to guess!

My hair is auburn, 1A, fine, a small ii and translucent in sun light. On old pictures of my mom, she is a 1B or 1C into her mid twenties, than suddenly the curls hit in! I saw this happen with my older cousin as well.. Very funny but difficult to explain to long-time-no-see friends that no, he really didn't perm his hair :D. I am curious of what will happen to me!

noelgirl
July 24th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I get my thickness and texture from my mom, who has thick, wurly blonde hair, and my color mostly from my dad, who has straight black hair even darker than mine. Both of them have a mix of hair genes too, though - for example, my mom is German and Portuguese, and she gets her color from her mom's side (German) and texture and thickness from her dad's side (Portuguese). So my hair is a lot like my grandpa's (who still has a full head of hair at 88 ) and nothing like my grandma's.

Madora
July 24th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Per "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" (1981 Doubleday)...

"We literally inherit our hair from our mother's father and our father's mother, along with any of their hair problems--hair will be thicker, thinner, sparse or abundant, straight or curly, depending on your family tree."

Firefly
July 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Probably a mix. It's hard to tell from my Mom because for so many years her hair was processed in some way. I don't have my dad's kinky/curly texture, but I seem to have inherited his delayed greying. He didn't start to go grey until his late 50s, and at 42 I haven't started yet. My mom (and sister), however, greyed very early (20's/early 30s).

VikingVampChick
July 24th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I'm adopted, but know bioparents' ethnic backgrounds. She was Irish, him - Dominican. I've got 2b/c, m/c, ii (almost iii when it's longer) dk brown/black hair (nat. color). The texture is definitely from him (I've met other Caucasian looking Dominicans with texture just like mine). The color - could go either way.

Cainwen
July 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
My hair seems to be a happy medium between my mom and dad. My dad's family has very straight, fine textured hair and they all started out platinum blond, though my dad's hair eventually turned very dark brown ( I thought it was black growing up). My mother's side has very very thick, dark curly hair. Mine has turned out medium brown with curls/wurls and medium thick texture. Still waiting to see which side I take after for greying though. My mom started going grey in her early thirties, my Dad's mom is just starting to go grey at 87 :D

Wavelin
July 24th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I got it from my momma :D We have about the same hairtypes and colour, and so does my brother (mousy blah blond, about 2a/b, M, ii/iii). To bad really, my dad has ashy almost black hair and something like 3a, F, ii/iii, it would have been super-pretty on me :D

Krentje
July 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM

"We literally inherit our hair from our mother's father and our father's mother, along with any of their hair problems--hair will be thicker, thinner, sparse or abundant, straight or curly, depending on your family tree."

I heard this before but i thought it was a fisherman's wife's tale to explain why some men are balding early while their fathers still have (lots of) hair and are surprised by that? It is still a 50 % chance a baby will get part of the Father's mother's hair genes, but it is a toss, it could also be the mother's mother, right?

(not meaning to insult, just curious! :))

chahuahuas
July 24th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I got my curly medium brown hair from my mom (well, hers was wavy/curlyish before she fried it with the straight iron & dye & SLS 'poos...), but I got my thick black, long eyebrows from my dad.

It's funny because my sister has the exact opposite combination: she gets her thin brown, short brows from my mom, and she gets straight dark brown hair from my dad (his hair is black with grey now, but it was dark brown when he was younger.)

Along with his dark eyebrows, I also got most of my dad's features, and my sister got most of my mom's, so the only thing we got from the other parent is our hair :p

Issmene
July 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
The coarseness & thickness from my dad
The waviness is a combination of my mum's (1c/2a?) and dad's (2c/3a?)
The color I got from my grandpa on my mum's side, I think. So, genewise (Is that a word?) there must be a blond family member on my dad's side too, as my dad's hair is very darkbrown and my mum's light brownish or something like that (I have never seen her natural color xD)

mrs.bad85
July 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM
My parent both have thick hair which gave me really thick hair I think my mom had cury hair when she was younger and wore her hair longer. The color is funny though Dad as almost black hair and mom is a red head so my siblings and I are all a light brown very dark blond but we can dye red convincingly.

Sama
July 24th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I get the top half texture of hair [gentle waves] from my father, and the bottom half/underside texture of my hair [1-inch kinks] from my mother. :rolleyes: I get my hair color from my mother - dark brown mixed in with strands of darker and lighter browns, reds and about 3 strands of blonde [how'd those get in there? :p] and reddish undertones.

crysz
July 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I get my long thin hair from my mom and my coloring from mom and dad.

aliceinmadness
July 24th, 2011, 10:03 AM
weeeellll....your hair is the result of a lot of gene interplay, and it's not as simple as saying it's dominant or recessive. Codominance and/or incomplete dominance are also probably involved. You inevitably get your hair from both sides of your family.

But to answer your question without the technical detour, my hair most resembles my grandmother's on my paternal side. As least as far as anyone knows. No one is sure what the natural hair is for at least 2 generations on my mother's side since they get bleach and perm-happy.

AceOfCurls
July 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM

This would be true for me. Even though I'm mixed, I do have hair like my aunt, uncle, and cousin from my mom's side of the family, and they get it from their dad's side. All of us have fine curly hair. I'm very happy about this since my grandma is going bald, although my hair loss problem might be because of that gene. I don't know though. I'm counting on that to be just from stress.

gthlvrmx
July 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I have both, i was born with my mothers straight hair but had my dad's hair color when he was born. His was a lighter dirty blonde when he was born, mine got darker due to my mom's genetics. I got my mother's thickness and fast growth and then puberty hit and my hair went curly! He has afro-like hair, so i got somewhere in the middle of pin-straight and afro curly.

SC
July 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Color from my mums side since she had blonde hair when she was young, thickness is from my mum as well as the texture. Maybe texture can also be from my dads side, I'm not so sure about it.

Ligeia_13
July 24th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I guess I get it mostly from my dad's side but not completely. Its like I'm slap bang in the middle. My dad has black incredibly wiry hair (well, he used, its going grey now :p) and my mother has very fine, baby like blonde hair.

Mine is dark brown, medium thickness :)

88Marisa
July 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Honestly, I got weird hair genes. Both my parents have dark brown hair and straight to wavy hair. I got much lighter hair with a strong curl pattern. NOBODY in my extended family has hair anywhere near as curly as mine, and the color is bit of an oddity too (but the lighter color genes probably come from my dad's side). I've had to learn how to take care of my curls properly through research and experimentation, I certainly didn't get good guidance as a kid...

I certainly take after both my parents in other features, but the hair is a mystery...

Mairéad
July 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
My hair isn't quite like anyone in my family. I'm the only red head and I don't know any of my grandparents so I don't know what hair they had. I'm the only one with straight hair that isn't baby fine and thin. My mother and sister have dark, dark hair that is wavy and doll like. My dad and brother have dark, dark short hair. My brother has a wave pattern but it's kept so short that it's hard to tell. I think my texture may be most like my dad's.

MissManda
July 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I thought I replied to this thread, but when I skimmed through, I guess I didn't (unless I missed it).

My mom has thin to normal thickness fine hair that is about a 1b. She was blonde as a baby and her hair darkened to a tawny ash color. I get my straightish, fine hair from her.

My dad has medium-dark brown hair that's definitely coarser than mine, M, that appears to be smack dab in the middle of normal thickness. He has some spiral curls and waves, so I'm guessing he's at least a 2c. I get my color from him.

My dad's mom has very fine straight hair that is about normal thickness. It's black and is turning iron gray. My dad's dad had red hair that is a definite C in texture and normal thickness and has some wave to it and it has turned a sandy gray.

My mom's mom has ultra fine hair that she perms. I think she might be a i or an i/ii. Although her hair is baby fine, she is diabetic, which can cause hair thinning. Before it turned gray, I was told it was the typical Nordic dark blonde. My mom's dad had dark brown medium-textured hair but I don't know what level of curliness he had.

No one in my family has/had thick, fine hair like me, so I have no clue where the iii came from, but I sure am glad to have it. :D

backwoodsbeauty
July 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I got the thickness and texture from my mom and the color from my dad.

oktobergoud
July 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
My mother's! I have my mom's hair (like, it's exactly the same, fine, texture, colour.. even almost the length ;)). We have fine hair but a lot of it, with a bit of wave, very easy hair actually.

My dad (and his mother and sister) have the most awful, dry, coarse, full, thick hair I have ever seen. I mean, seriously, I know this might sound disgusting but it's like very coarse frizzy pubic hair :P Okay maybe not pubic hair but SO COARSE, you can hardly do anything with it. I am so SO glad I do not have that hair. It's also a bit curly, but not crazy much. It's like a caucasian afro or something, without the actual awesome curls.

I'm very happy with my typical, boring Dutch hair ;D (that I dye with henna to make it less boring hehe)

88Marisa
July 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM
My mother's! I have my mom's hair (like, it's exactly the same, fine, texture, colour.. even almost the length ;)). We have fine hair but a lot of it, with a bit of wave, very easy hair actually.

My dad (and his mother and sister) have the most awful, dry, coarse, full, thick hair I have ever seen. I mean, seriously, I know this might sound disgusting but it's like very coarse frizzy pubic hair :P Okay maybe not pubic hair but SO COARSE, you can hardly do anything with it. I am so SO glad I do not have that hair. It's also a bit curly, but not crazy much. It's like a caucasian afro or something, without the actual awesome curls.

I'm very happy with my typical, boring Dutch hair ;D (that I dye with henna to make it less boring hehe)
They probably just don't know how to take care of their curls so that they look frizzy and not dried out. I haven't met many Caucasians who know how to take care of curly hair.

TheMechaGinger
July 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I got the color and thickness from my dads side (only I have fine hair like my mom, my dads side is mostly cherokee and they all have thick course hair) but I think I got the straightness from my moms side. Everyone on my dad's side has wavy hair and so do most on my moms side except a few

akuamoonmaui
July 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM
From my Dad's Irish side.

CrystalStar
July 24th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I get the straightness from my Mums side of the family, and I believe the thickness is a bit of an anomaly as no-one else in my family has thick hair!

AlleyKitten
July 24th, 2011, 12:49 PM
The color is from my dad's side -- his mother had red hair, and several of my relatives on that side are blond. I think the rest of it I got from my mother, who had long hair in college that she says "just kept growing, and I kept having to whack it off". Mine is probably wavier than hers, but I don't know if she was blowing it straight or flatironing it or what (it was the seventies...), and it's short now.

terpentyna
July 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Color is mixed (ash- dad to dark brown - mom), thickness is mixed (fine to medium), but texture is mom's - 1b.

BlazingHeart
July 24th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hard to say which side mine comes from - my dad's hair is wavier than mine, I think, but my mother's family tends towards wavy hair, too. My mother has very little wave - less than me, I think. Both sides of the family have some red, though I think I get my chestnut with hints of red from my mother's family - more of them have color like mine. My dad's family is either very dark brown or dark red-brown (er I think - my aunt dyed her hair for so long I'm not 100% certain what her color was), mom's family has more variety and includes some sandy-haired folks.

Nobody has my thickness, though. Both sides of the family are prone to thick hair, but nobody has hair as thick as mine. Nor do other people have my multicolored hair like mine - I vary from almost platinum blonde to deep red-brown, and the hair thickness varies with the color (also something I don't know of in anyone else in the family).

~Blaze

theodora
July 24th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I get my texture and thickness from my dad. At over 60 he still has an amazing lion-type mane (he's often told he looks like Harvey Keitel in his prime) with barely some greys at the temple. My poor mom however has super thin hair which is thinning quite a lot at the moment actually. But then again she still insists on blow drying her bob pretty much every other day (probably uses a horrible plastic round brush while doing so).

In terms of colour they both have darker hair than me(and dark eyes actually), my mom a lovely brown although it's getting lighter due to percentage of white hair as she uses vegetal hair dye which doesn't cover much, and my dad a chestnut colour. My brother has super dark brown, coarse and very wavy hair (he seems to have gotten the spanish blood from my mom's side).

I think I get my dark blonde from my maternal grandma but it's hard to know has she had white hair for as long as I remember and the photos from before are black and white/sepia so hard to tell. She did say she was blonde, but, could be that she was bleached blonde.

bigred199
July 24th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I got my hair color and fine texture from my dad. As far as curl (or lack thereof) I don't know where I got it. My dad's hair has always been too short to observe much curl, and my mom curls hers every day--so I'm not sure what it looks like uncurled!

Oldfashioned
July 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I got the red-brown color from my dad's side and my texture from my mom's... Though she gets corkscrews from the temples down having fine hair and I get waves and wurls having M/C hair. What's funny though is that for the past 4 generations (from my neices to my maternal grandmother) is that there are patterns of two sisters - one blond, one brunette - one curly, one straight hair.... is there a trend forming?

longcurlygirl<3
July 24th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I got my curls, thickness and texture from mom; my hair color from my dad :)

knux
July 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I got the deep black colour from my mother's native Canadian side, but the wavy texture is from my father's Irish side. In the summer I also find myself with a lot of red highlights, which my family has always attributed to the Irish side as well since I am one of the only members without red hair on his side.

:)

JuliaDancer
July 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I may be a combo... My mom has coarse, black, thick, Chinese hair (not the pin straight fine kind), but mine is a bit wavier, slightly lighter but still dark brown, that shines reddish in the sun. My dad was born with blonde hair that turned brown, then black, now white. My hair's not as coarse as my mom's, but it definitely has Asian strength.

Kelikea
July 24th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I have color very much like my mother. The wave and thickness was not really like anyone else's in the family until my mom started getting waves last year. Before that, it was stick straight. Now she has 2b/2c hair, as far as I can tell.

Hatsumomo
July 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM
My mum. My dad is bald. Well....I suppose I'm a bit of a mix to an extent. I get the thickness, coarseness and colour from my mum but I must get the straight texture from my dad....I'm not sure though, it used to be curly and the straightness seems to be a new thing.

For argument's sake, I'll say my mum :)

flourish
July 24th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Both of my parents have thick hair so that's a toss up. I get my waves/curls from my mom and my coarse texture and color from my dad.

catarinalaree
July 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Actually no-one in my family has hair like mine so I really don't know. The colour I guess I get more from my mother's side but neither my mother or my father have my wavy texture and/or as much hair as I have. I get told I got a lot from a grandmother who I never got to meet, maybe I get my hair from her.

elbow chic
July 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Fineness and color is dad's-- he has that "typical" thin/fine/pale scandinavian hair.

Volume and thickness and most of the waviness from Mom. She had a TON of hair back in the day. I've got a bit over 4.5 circumference but I know hers was way thicker, probably well over five inches. It was strong as all get outs, too, and grew like a tumbleweed. aiii.

Medical issues gave her a huge shed a year or two ago, hopefully she'll regain at least some of her losses once the doc gets her meds sorted out. It can be hard to convince your doctor that you have lost half your hair when you still have a 3 inch ponytail. :eek:

Narya
July 24th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Difficult to say... I'm quite sure I get the fine and not-so-thick from my mom, but she is a shade lighter than me, and my dad is a shade darker, even when he got waist length (or longer, it's been years since I last saw those photos) hair. My waves/wurls could come from both parts, my dad is a bit curlier than me (I'd say solid 3a) and my mom is a bit wavier (2b/2c).

So I'd say I'm quite mixed, as with everything. Also, it's funny, because people that only know my father tell me I'm just like him, and people who only know my mom that I'm just like her (the ones that know both are 50&#37; of each opinion!), so I might be a really "mixed mix" from both of them on everything!

CurlyNaomi
July 24th, 2011, 04:47 PM
My thickness and curls are without a doubt from my father and my auburn color from somebody in my father's family. My dad got black hair.

Asequui
July 25th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I definitely get my hair from my dad's side...lol I think...
Both my mom and maternal aunt had/have absolutely baby fine straight hair, and not a very dense amount of it.

My dad had dark hair that was quite thick.
My cousin on my dad's side and I used to be hair twins when we were both younger, in terms of color.

However, mine is decidedly more wurly than my cousin's and even she has commented (while attempting to braid it years ago) on the sheer amount growing out of my head. :D

So, I think I mostly get my hair from my dad's side of the family but as far as texture and density goes, that's a bit of a mystery. :shrug:

Alaia
July 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I don't know which side of the family I get my hair from. Texture I think from my mother's side.

Colour... I think I get it from my dad's side of the family, but if it were truly from his side of the family I'd have many more greys by now. Dad's hair was very dark as a child, but his siblings and parents are/were blonde like me.

If it were totally from my mother's side, I'd have much darker hair than I do now (she too started out blonde and went darker, but I'm still blonde just about).

MissAlida
July 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM
My mom has very thick individual hair strands, while my father's are thin. I'm somewhere in between. As for the color, both of them have dark brown hair, so that's obvious. My texture however is something ineteresting. Before I cut my hair short, I had straight hair, a 1b at most, which would have come from my father's side. But since I've grown it out, it turned into wavy/curly. My mom had hip lenght wavy hair,no layers, and I think that when my hair will be that long and my shedded hair will regrow, it will look much like hers, since the weight will straighten the curls. But I wouldn't mind if my texture stayed like this even at that lenght...well, we'll see:D.

littlenvy
July 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I get my hair from my dad's side or rather the females on my dad's side of the family tree since the males hair is not so bad. Very poor genetic pool.

Amber_Maiden
July 25th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Probably the thickness from my moms side- though its a lot thicker than anyone in her family... And the colour is from both sides...

Jeno86
July 25th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think my wavy hair comes from my dad's side (Native American) but the color I believe comes from my mom's side (Irish, Scottish and Dutch). Either way, it still weirds my family out because no one in the living generations has hair like me.

SoulOfTheSea
July 25th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I got my hair from my dad FOR SURE. The super waviness, the puffiness (although I can blame my mom for some of the puffiness) and the light brown color, all come from my dad. I have the waviest and thickest hair of my sisters.

sakuramoon08
July 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I think I get my hair color and thick/thin hair from my mom's side. It's interesting because I'm the only one with green eyes/ brown/blondish hair in my family. The eye color skipped a generation I guess in both sides of my family until it hit the grand kids. I'm also the only light complected one too.

oktobergoud
July 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM
They probably just don't know how to take care of their curls so that they look frizzy and not dried out. I haven't met many Caucasians who know how to take care of curly hair.

No it really is unruly! (I know a few pages later hehe)
My mom used to be a hairstylists and she tried many things on my dad's hair.. but it doesn't work :( It's not really curly either, it's just.. idk.. one big ball of coarse coarse fluff..

However, it might get better when they tried something like the curlygirl-method, but I don't think it will ever look AWESOME curly. I'm just really really REALLY glad I don't have their hair! :P

meganb990
July 25th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hair from dad's side of the family they all have wavy hair and the color are both from his side.

AnnaJamila
July 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I get my hair from my dad's side of the family, both in color and texture. We're pretty directly related to the old German monarchy via Queen Victoria's husband Prince Albert. Add a dash of Irish and Scots and there's that half of my ancestry!

wendy51
July 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM
My dad =], My hair are as strong as his =] . 4b also ^^

annieangel149
July 25th, 2011, 04:18 PM
when i was little i thought i was an adopted child! i was sooo light blonde and i was the odd one out! until i found out later that my great great grandfather had blonde hair just like me! :D... dads side!

my hair is not course though so i get the straight slick hair from my mum's side! we are all dead straight tho so im never gonna get those lovely curly waves i dream of! lol!

apparently i have thick hair like colin firth (my husbands second cousin) but im not related to him so i guess that doesn't count lol!!!!

Lostsoule77
July 25th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I get my hair type, texture, and thickness from my dad and my color from my mother. I'm completely happy with this because my mom's hair was very thin, but my dad's was much darker. Plus my mom had red tones in it which I got and love. :)

DoubleCrowned
July 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
My dad's hair was always thick; his hairline barely receded at all, and didn't get a bald spot.
But my hair is thin and fine like my mother's.
She and her mother acquired see-through hair on the top and sides as they aged and both went bald in back.

Doesn't look good for me, does it...

Miss Maisie
July 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
My dad has big, beautiful, dark waves. My mom has straight, thin, fine dark hair.

My brother got the dark waves.
My sister got the straight hair, but it's definitely thick! Hers is dark but has a lot of red.
I have the darkest hair, but it's somewhere in between my parents, texture-wise. It was curly when I was young, and I always thought it was straight (but had a lot of body). After reading the boards here and letting my hair dry without brushing it, I see that it has some wave to it, for sure.

It's getting thinner as I get older, but that's probably from layers, chemicals, and heat styling. I'm cutting back on all of the above to see if I can regain some of that thickness!

Ermine
July 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I think I got my fine hair from my mom's side and my color/slight waviness from my dad's side.

What will be interesting is whether I go grey or thin/ashy when I get older. It's probably a 50-50 division between my older relatives. My dad is going grey (didn't start until 40, still has pretty much all his hair) and mom went ashy. Also a tossup with my grandparents and great grandparents. I really hope I go grey.

neko_kawaii
July 25th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Texture and base color from my dad with a hint of my mom's red. My son has my exact texture and color. I was so sure he would have his dad's black hair but you can see the red high lights in his short hair which is so strange because my highlights didn't develop until my hair darkened in the late teen years. My mom's family is funny. Both of her parents had straight black hair but she and two other siblings are curly red heads, each a slightly different shade. The other sibling has black hair. What are the odds of that!

eternalknot
July 25th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Both of my parents have thick, coarse, straight black hair - I take after them both, I guess!

My kids all have my hair color, but they get their super thin and feathery texture from my husband's side. My husband actually has thick, coarse, wavy hair but his mother has thin, feathery strands.

Mountaingrrl
July 26th, 2011, 12:49 AM
One of my mom's relatives who hadn't seen me in decades recognized me two blocks away by my hair. We all have very thick curly/wurly hair on that side of the family. My dad was a redhead as a kid and went darker as an adult; I get that from him.

TheCaityCat
July 26th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I can't say I got my hair from either parent. My father has thick, black, coarse hair because he's part Native American (it used to be black, anyway, now it's thick salt and pepper). My mother has fine, thinnish, dark brown hair that was straight until she went gray. I suppose my hair's thickness could be from my dad but I doubt it.

I get my hair from my mother's mother. She used to have thick, wavy hair like me. I'm not sure where the color came from. Grandma was a blonde while she was a girl/teenager, but it darkened to brown before she hit my age. Mine's been the same color since I was a toddler. I hope my hair follows what Grandma's has done, though! It's still wavy, but it's a gorgeous silver color. Not gray or white. Once I hit 78 I'm going to keep my hair long instead of chopping it short.

Liss
July 26th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I get the majority of my hair from my mother's side, but I get the occasional grey one thrown in from daddy!

Dark40
July 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Texture: I've gotten from my dad's side, and color also from dad's side. The thickness I've gotten from both sides.

irishlady
July 26th, 2011, 05:36 PM
My mother's. Her sister had hair like mine, maybe slightly more auburn than mine, and same texture. Her father's brother had my colour too.

AuburnAlight
July 30th, 2011, 06:24 PM
My mom's hair is stick straight and strong but my father's is wavy and fine so I have got the mix of that: a fine hair that is usually straight but sometimes gets light waves.