PDA

View Full Version : CWC and Cones Question

mcaleeac
September 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I've started CWCing and like it. For those of you who do this, do any of your products have cones? I think my hair likes cones but i worry about build up and hidden damage.

I wanted to try going sulfate and cone free but i'm a little murky on the science. Do I have this straight? :

1. Sulfates are needed to remove cone products
2. Cones are bad for some b/c they build up easily
3. Sulfates are bad because they can strip the hair

If I continue using cones, is oiling redundant? If i ditch sulfates but keep using cones will i get crazy build-up? If i want to try sulfate/cone free and oiling, should i clarify first with something to remove past cone build up?

Thanks for any help!

x0h_bother
September 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I use cones and sulfates, cones in the shampoo and cond and sulfates in the poo, and I oil with coconut oil just fine and the sulfates take care of that. I have only had luck going cone and sulfate together, I hear going cone and sulfate free at the same time is also a good route. I went cone but not sulfate free and had no success, so I would not recommend it. Good luck!

BrightEyes7
September 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I tried cone free and didn't like it... but now I'm doing the sulfate free route and love it. I use the Loreal ever strong line of sulfate free shampoo but I use my Costco brand conditioner which I believe has cones.

So for my opinion on your questions....

1. I use sulfate free shampoo but don't have any build up.
2. Yes cones can cause build up. But typically this is in fine hair. You have super thick coarse hair... I'm pretty sure it can handle cones.
3. Yes sulfates can strip your hair. I switched to Sulfate free and noticed a difference first shampoo!!!

I ocassionally oil with coconut oil and haven't noticed any build up.

I would try going sulfate free first. Stick with the cones, your hair may need them. Switch to a sulfate free shampoo and see the results. But try one thing at a time. Just switch your shampoo. If you like it switch conditioner, then you'll know what individual product works best.

As far as clarifying, does your hair need it? Does it feel like you have build up? If not there is no need to clarify.

It is just trial and error but you'll eventually find what works best for your hair!

Dragon
September 29th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I’m currently experimenting with cones .

hmmm
September 29th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I've started CWCing and like it. For those of you who do this, do any of your products have cones? I think my hair likes cones but i worry about build up and hidden damage.

I wanted to try going sulfate and cone free but i'm a little murky on the science. Do I have this straight? :

If I continue using cones, is oiling redundant? If i ditch sulfates but keep using cones will i get crazy build-up? If i want to try sulfate/cone free and oiling, should i clarify first with something to remove past cone build up?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, I use cones. I've gone cone-free for a year or so, then I decided to try cones again, was pleased with the results, and am sticking with it.

I still have a cone-free conditioner I haven't used up, though, so I use that for the first 'C'. Lots of people use coney conditioners for both.

I oil heavily before washing my hair, regardless of what products I use.

I use sulphate shampoos because I haven't yet found a sulphate-free one where I live... plus they do the job quite well. If I notice that my hair feels dry because of them, I just put a little oil on it and that fixes the problem. It usually doesn't happen though, because I use heavy cones.

dainaleeo2
September 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks for any help!

I'm assuming CWC stands for condition wash condition? sorry, some people use it for 'condition-wash' & then another condition, as in CO washing then conditioning. Sorry, kinda confusing.
But, that's what I do. I CO wash with a simple Suave condish w/ no cones, then usually follow up with a heavier one w/ cones. Sometimes not, but most have them in it.

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Sulfates are needed to remove cone build up: Yes, you can use that method, since they will build up over time [the ones that aren't water soluble or the ones that are lighter & don't dissolve after you rinse]. that's why locks either go limp, or more frizzy. I just clarify every few weeks, & try to use an ACV after every other wash. That gets rid of the build up from the wash. It really helps, & gives insane shine :)

2. Cones are bad for some because they buildup: True for some, like the heavier cones. Dimethecone for example is the heaviest & so it builds up more than the others. if it has PEG in front of it, then normally that means it dissolves in the water. other ones are lighter & simply leave the hair after a very short amount of time. I think also if your hair is more dry/damaged that it can take longer to see the build up, but then again it differs for everyone. Cones don't let water pass into the hair so after awhile they can make hair dryer because no moisture can get in.

3. Sufates can be bad because they strip the hair: Yes yes yes!! they are TERRIBLE!! my hair was so dry & tangly after using shampoo or the first time in ages that i had to start all over & oil again to make up for it. There's so much research online that shows we don't even need shampoo, that basically it was a marketing choice & since we as a society drink that up, now it's a social norm. I can't tell you how many people think my shampooing with conditioner is disgusing & weird, but my hair looks ten times better than theirs because they strip it constantly. my roommate for example washes every day. it's good she had thick hair, but i can tell how frazzled the ends are & that her hair is oily because her scalp over produces oil to make up for the constant loss. So i'm anti-shampoo, & when I do it, its usually only once a month, & i add jojoba oil to at least soften the blow.

As for the question about oiling, yea, I would say start fresh, & clarify hair first to remove everything. That way you can also assess your hair & see what you need. Then I would do a nice oiling for your hair. I actually remove oil w/ CO washing, since it's actually much easier than with shampoo, which i felt I had to do twice. If there's build up then it would be harder for the oil to work as well. Cones are bad for some, but others like them. I personally need them since my hair is very porous & since I heat style sometimes, my hair would only get worse without the silicone barrier over my hair. I just try to use an ACV rinse every other wash, which helps greatly in removing excess oil without having to resort to shampooing.

Hope this helps! :)