View Full Version : Help please- After a deep coconut moisture

Back_To_Basics
September 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
After a deep coconut moisture how long do you wait to
CO next time / or your routine of washing?

I know I've read some do a oiling twice a week..some once a week. Some do a heavy oiling before a CO wash or their routine wash. This is probably the most over again asked question... :o and thanks for any help.

daaisychains
September 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I usually do a heavy oil once weekly before a wash.
And if my ends are particuarly dry, i put the teeniest scraping of coconut oil right on the tips and pop it back up in a bun. That way my ends are getting maximum protection.

So yeah, intense oiling session once a week for me, but my hair is genetically thin so i do all i can for it.

Hope this helps.

pepperminttea
September 27th, 2010, 01:11 PM
When I use coconut oil, it's generally the day before a wash, so it stays on my hair no longer than a day (or two if I'm feeling lazy and don't need to be anywhere). I use a lighter oil for non-prewash oiling.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I wait 3 to 24 hours. And I CWC;) I use coconut oil before every wash.

Carolyn
September 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
It's up to you so experiment and find out what you like. I do it the night before I wash and CO it out in the morning.

Anje
September 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I tend to wash before I need to go into public again, so deep oilings don't stay in for a long time in general. If you're able to get your hair into a style that looks less obviously greasy than mine does, I suspect your hair will only benefit from having oil left in for days.

tinti
September 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM
It's up to you what you do, of course. I put some on my hair either a couple of hours before I wash (Co mostly but CWC once a month atm) When my hair is allmost dry I put a tiny bit on my ends as a leave in.

sibylla
September 27th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I think coco nut oil is so benificial for my hair that I could go a couple of days with it in my hair and scalp.Normally I leave it during the night,it doesn´t stain my pillow.I´ve learnt to feel when my hair is thirsty..

Back_To_Basics
September 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you.

redneckprincess
September 27th, 2010, 06:36 PM
If I'm not doing anything, going anywhere, seeing anyone other then those who live with me, or even just wearing my hair UP, I try to keep coconut oil in my hair most everyday.
And CO wash every 1-3 days

JuneBride
September 27th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I did coconut oil for the first time yesterday (left on for about 2 hours) and then CO'd for the first time. I think I should have S&C'd and then started CO'ing today, because I don't have the hang of CO yet and couldn't get the Coconut Oil out...

x0h_bother
September 28th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I wait 3 to 24 hours. And I CWC;) I use coconut oil before every wash.
WOW! I should try this. OP, I always wash after coconut oiling.

luckyduck
September 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I apply a very small amount of coconut oil daily, then put my hair up. I always wait tip my hair is dry to apply it, if I put it on damp hair it makes it feel all crunchy!

little_cherry
September 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I did coconut oil for the first time yesterday (left on for about 2 hours) and then CO'd for the first time. I think I should have S&C'd and then started CO'ing today, because I don't have the hang of CO yet and couldn't get the Coconut Oil out...
When I CO to get coconut oil out, I first wash my hair out with warm water before gently working some cone free conditioner and leaving it in for the duration of my shower. Then I rinse and CO as usual.

I hope that explained it o.k.

JuneBride
September 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
When I CO to get coconut oil out, I first wash my hair out with warm water before gently working some cone free conditioner and leaving it in for the duration of my shower. Then I rinse and CO as usual.

I hope that explained it o.k.

Thank you!!! I shampooed and conditioned the next day and then the day after (today) I co'd. I will try the whole thing (with the coconut oil) all over again with the tweaks I have learned on TLHC and from you :) [probably on Sunday - when I can walk around all oily! hehehe]

Back_To_Basics
September 29th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I apply a very small amount of coconut oil daily, then put my hair up. I always wait tip my hair is dry to apply it, if I put it on damp hair it makes it feel all crunchy!

I will have to try light coconut oilings on dry hair. Maybe that is what I'm doing wrong In the past ....I'd spray my hair lightly with my spray bottle (distilled water) then lightly put coconut oil on hair....but my hair felt a little crunchy after. I will try it on dry next time for light oilings. That makes sense, because when doing a heavy oiling before CO washes I put the coconut oil on dry, and my hair feels soft (oily though) while waiting to CO wash it.
So many things to try, and it's fun learning, and figuring out what works, and what doesn't.