PDA

View Full Version : Growing out pixie - layers?

Quixotica
September 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I've been growing out a very short pixie for about a year and 3 months. I've went from 1/4" to about 1" past shoulder at my longest layer and about 1/2" past chin length at my shortest layers (just around my face). I haven't trimmed or cut my hair at all since growing it out.

I'm thinking about having my layers cut/styled/cleaned up a bit? I'm very apprehensive though - I've worked very hard to grow my hair and I'm paranoid that I'd go in and lost a lot of my length. My hair doesn't look bad, but anyway....

Should I just continue to let my hair grow or trim it? What's your opinions/experiences? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to let it grow with maybe some S/D, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say :)

LuXious
September 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM
If you can live with it as-is, then leave it alone. If you could find a clear photo of a style you would like, you could take it to someone you know without a doubt you can trust. Otherwise, let it grow. Whatever you do, don't walk into a cheap chain and ask them to clean it up for you. They'll cut it up to your chin every time. I had hair past my shoulders grown from a pixie and asked for layers. She cut it like Carol Brady exactly only dorkier and with bangs halfway up my forehead. I cried when I walked outside. Did I scare you? Good.

sarahbrownie
September 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
When growing out my hair I always cut the hairs in the back or the lower layers. I never really cut anything besides the hair below my ears. However, that was when it was around 3-4 inches. You have the ability to pull it back at shoulder length, it might be worth it to keep growing it. However if you feel you wear your hair down most of the time it might be in your best interest to get it 'shaped' up (I know how those pesky layers can look awkward quick!). Anyway, you have a while to go before your goal, might as well enjoy your hair as you get there. :D

evampr18
September 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Grow it out. Definitely.

UltraBella
September 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM
My daughter just spent two years growing out an inverted bob and it was really helpful to have the layers cleaned up and give it a bit more shape so she could live with it while it was growing. We had it trimmed three times in all and it made a world of difference. Not all stylists will chop your hair off, plenty of them have grown out one style or another and completely understand. Go to someone experienced and be very clear about what you want.
Good luck !!

Dragon
September 27th, 2010, 12:55 AM
If it doesent look bad, definitely grow it out.

KittyLost
September 27th, 2010, 01:27 AM
If it's not bothering you then just leave it for a while, enforce the two week rule.

Maddy25
September 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hello :)

I too am growing out a pixie, I'm currently at 7 months withoiut trimming at all!

It may look weird for a while but if you leave it without trimming, you will be able to do things with it much faster. At 7 months I can do a ponytail and twisty updos and whatnot. If I would have trimmed off some of the weird layers I wouldnt have been able to.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 07:21 AM
If it doesn't look bad, doesn't stick out in million directions, you don't mind it, you feel fine with it- grow it! You can fix layers later. Maybe you would decide to have straight hemline. And if it is *ok*- leave it and grow.

spidermom
September 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I would grow as long as I could stand it, then have a little trim to even things up, so that it looked more like a style and less like a growing-out lack of style.

Beatrix_Kiddo
September 27th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I had the same problem, so I decided to make a little trim (0.5 cm) and it felt better. It's still uneven, but I'm going to wait until april for the next micro trim. In the meantime, you can buy beautiful hair toys and think in the updos you can create!

vintersaga
September 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm growing out my hair from a pixie right now (growing out from a buzzcut and I'm currently at pixie-length with lots of layers), and I'm going to wait as long as possible. I figure, like someone wrote, I will be able to do things with it sooner if I just let it grow. Put it up for example. :)

bunzfan
September 27th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I'm growing out my hair from a pixie right now (growing out from a buzzcut and I'm currently at pixie-length with lots of layers), and I'm going to wait as long as possible. I figure, like someone wrote, I will be able to do things with it sooner if I just let it grow. Put it up for example. :)

I grow my hair out from a very short Meg Ryan style crop and had regular trims as advised every 12 weeks, so its taken me over 3 years to get past APL . My hair has grown quicker since i just left it to grow. I read if you really want to grow your hair out to have 2 haircuts a years, after 3 months of no cutting i don't even have a split end so stick with it if you can.

Quixotica
September 27th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Did I scare you? Good.

Haha, you did scare me actually!

vintersaga
September 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I grow my hair out from a very short Meg Ryan style crop and had regular trims as advised every 12 weeks, so its taken me over 3 years to get past APL . My hair has grown quicker since i just left it to grow. I read if you really want to grow your hair out to have 2 haircuts a years, after 3 months of no cutting i don't even have a split end so stick with it if you can.

I sure will. It's been 5 1/2 months (almost 6 months) and so far my ends seem very healthy. I *hope* I will be able to go two years, but time will show how long I can take it without a trim.:) I hope my hair will stay as good as it is now, so when I'm starting to gain some length I will only trim once a year I think. But there's no hurry to think about that now.. as it will take some time for me to get there :)

aenflex
September 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I've just recently grown out a pixie, or am on the way to doing so, and I slowly eliminated the layers with trims every 5 weeks on the dot. When all layers were the the same length I had trimmed at angle one last time, no layers, but the back is a little shorter than the front. This is my favorite short style and I think it suits my face. If you hair the way it is now looks good and suits your face, maybe just leave it until the layers catch up to eachother and get frequent trims to move it along?? But everyone's different :)

bunzfan
September 28th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I sure will. It's been 5 1/2 months (almost 6 months) and so far my ends seem very healthy. I *hope* I will be able to go two years, but time will show how long I can take it without a trim.:) I hope my hair will stay as good as it is now, so when I'm starting to gain some length I will only trim once a year I think. But there's no hurry to think about that now.. as it will take some time for me to get there :)

I'm impressed you have been able to go that long without a sneaky trim i just couldn't manage it until i could wear my hair up. If you can keep up the no haircuts you will have lovely long hair in no time :)