PDA

View Full Version : Updo

lyssymae
September 26th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I've got way too many questions. This is my fifth thread of the day. Anyway, I want to know if there are any "hair safe" ties I guess you could call them. Thanks!:D

tinti
September 26th, 2010, 09:27 PM
There are ties with no metal "things" on them that is less damaging :) And of course scrunchies are less damaging as well. Don't know where you can buy metal free ties in your area, but where I live I can buy them at hairdressers and in an accessories shop called Glitter :) Scrunches are sold everywhere.

Gumball
September 26th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I agree with what tinti said. Hair ties without metal pieces on them are definitely safer for your hair than ties that have the metal on them. The metal can snag and rip at the hair. Even though the metal-free ties are safer, they can still cause potential damage if they are used to tie the hair back very tightly. Most grocery stores I've been to sell them in the same area as the various other hair products.

Shellby
September 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Scrunchies may not be fashionable but they are my favorites. I feel that maybe I will bring them back. :) LOL I am always checking the hair goody aisles at the stores for new ones.

FrannyG
September 27th, 2010, 02:58 AM
You can cut circular strips from old stockings pantyhose to make your own hair-friendly ponytail holders. I like that you can make so many from a single pair of hose, and that you can still have a variety of colours.

torrilin
September 27th, 2010, 04:57 AM
For what it's worth, most versions of having your hair up don't actually need a hair tie. Braids that are left down will need one, and some of the interlaced buns like the Chinese bun do. But if you dig through the updos section, you'll find that those are a definite minority.

And while styles held up with a stick are really popular here, it isn't necessarily the greatest for your hair. I can often end up with my hair slicking into itself so tightly that it's impossible to insert the stick safely. Not fun :(. Most of the time, I end up using hair pins.

supermanok03
September 27th, 2010, 06:03 PM
for the longest time i used the ouchless hair ties with no metal to secure the end of my french braid. i LOVE french braids but now i try not to tie my hair at all. my ends just always seem so much thinner than the rest of my hair, and it can't be terminal length yet, so i attributed the damage to the hair tie on my ends.
i even tried alternating the spot that i tied it at, but it was still always near the end of my hair.
now i only braid my hair and tie it when i'm running or at the gym. at other times i have my hair pinned up with no ties. :(