PDA

View Full Version : Oil Treatment for Dummies?

mcaleeac
September 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I was wondering if you lovely ladies would be willing to share your oil routines? I want to incorporate oil in to my hair's life because it sounds like it will help with my occasionally crunchy ends and overall hair health.

What kind of oil do you use? How/when/how much do you apply and what do you do with your hair once it's in there? How/what do you use to wash it out? I'm mainly interested in heavy oiling treatments; i think i understand the everyday application.

I also have insanely thick hair and wondered if this would affect my choice of oil.

If there is a thread i am missing feel free to direct me there; board searching returned a ton of results but not exactly what i was looking for ! Thanks!!

mcaleeac
September 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry for the misspelling in the subject, it's driving me crazy but i don't know how to edit!

JuneBride
September 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I just tried coconut oil for the first time today, so far I love it, but need some tips on how to get it out of my hair?!!? Thanks for posting!

McFearless
September 26th, 2010, 06:51 PM
You have to experiment with oils because they behave differently on everyone. They are good for sealing in moisture so I rub a little in my hair after a wash and add a little more every day. When I feel guilty for shampooing my hair twice in the same week(trying to cut down on washes) I'll do a heavy oiling the night before and then shampoo and condition as usual.

Don't go too crazy on the oil at first because it can be hard to get rid of. Build your tolerance slowly. Oils are soo addictive:)

Emerald88
September 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I use Monoi Oil or virgin de coco cream on my ends every night. I wear my hair to bed in a loose braid and put a small amount of oil (coconut oil is solid) on my palms & rub together to liquify then rub into my ends. I also use it on my length as needed when my hair is dry. Only a tiny amount is needed. If you are new to doing it, it is easy to go overboard & have oily looking hair & decide it's not for you. Use the smallest amont possible & you can always all more. I use a pea sized amount at most on my classic length hair.
I oil heavily with jojoba oil or shea butter creamy souffle as a pre-wash conditioner. I love oils & they have made all the difference in my hair.

Flaxen
September 26th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I mostly oil before washing.

Be sure to check out the oiling tutorial here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71). :smile:

Melisande
September 26th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Another good way to start using oil is mixing it with conditioner (makes washing out later easy because it's an emulsion) and leaving it in the hair before you wash. Washing out is easiest with conditioner.

I put a lot of oil in my hair before I wash (overnight is best) and a little after I wash.

Before wash: I massage scalp with jojoba oil plus essential oils (lavender, rosemary, sage...) or dabur vatika (with herbs). I put parachute coconut oil in the hair (with or without conditioner). It's part of my routine and I do it before I go to sleep, sounds more involved than it actually is - takes maybe three minutes.

After wash: tiny amount of oil a la Heidi in lengths and ends, every day. I use coconut oil, almond oil, sheabutter mixture (Fox recipe), avocado oil, olive oil, monoi tiare or any mix between these. I feel that each of them does something else to the hair so I let my hair have them all. But in tiny amounts, every day two drops, otherwise it's too oily. Updos hide oily ends if I err...

It took me a while to find this routine but it really does work for me. No split ends, more shine.

You also have to take into account that these are no miracle cures that will work immediately. In hair care, consistency really pays off. Try a routine for a while and only then check how it works, and tweak it.

Shellby
September 27th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for asking this as I was wondering it myself. I have been using some coconut oil at bedtime just on the ends. I am feeling a little more brave and want to try to use some more.

hmmm
September 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
A fellow LHC'er (I think?) has a couple of videos on youtube you might find useful:

Pre-wash oil treatment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXSF-_gIqxc)

Post-wash oil treatment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJdJ0RdiJv4)

mcaleeac
September 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks all and especially thanks for those videos! So helpful!