PDA

View Full Version : Save or Splurge??

In2wishin
September 26th, 2010, 04:01 PM
MSN Money had an interesting article about the beauty things we buy and which ones we should splurge on high end brands and which products you can save by buying "Drugstore" brands. It is an annoying slideshow so I will sum up:

Splurge on:

Hair Brush (mentioned MP)
Hair dryers and heat stylers
Makeup Brushes
Moisturizer
Foundation
Tweezers and Eyelash curlers
Anti-Aging Night Cream
Anything you can't get anywhere else

Save on:

Shampoo and conditioner
Products with SPF
Eye Makeup Remover
Mascara
Toners
Cold Cream

If you want to actually read it: http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/your-money-today/staticslideshowrealbeauty.aspx?cp-documentid=25021234&gt1=32078#q=Beauty%20Experts%20Pick%3A%20Save%20or %20Splurge%3F%3A%20Splurge%20On%3A%20Facial%20Mois turizer%20

pepperminttea
September 26th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Interesting how at the top of an article for all sorts of make-up and anti-ageing type things, they have a little graphic link for 'real beauty.' Hmm.

</cynicism>

enfys
September 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I didn't read the original because I'm on my phone but I have to disagree with most of that. Cheap mascara and eye make-up remover isn't an option for many people with sensitive eyes.

A lot of make-up artists are recommending cheap brushes as long as the glue holding the ferrule on is good.

As for the hair things, my Tangle Teezer is a lot better than I imagine any Mason Pearson could be for me.
Mind you, they it right with the shampoo and condish in my opinion.

It's funny how what is great for some one is terrible for someone else. I'll read the whole thing tomorrow to see if I change my mind but I doubt it.

Bast
September 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I think that they were talking about cheap = drugstore and grocery store stuff, and splurge = makeup counters and Sephora.

(I, for one, do not find Neutrogena the cheapest out there, but that's one brand that is being used as the cheap brand)

Although spending more on tweezers? No thanks! I can get just as good results with the six dollars I spent on the tweezers and a 10x magnifying mirror as I could with the thirty dollars spent on a different pair of tweezers.

Igor
September 26th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I tend to agree. A conditioner doesn’t go ten times better from being ten times more expensive. I go for the middle priced range at supermarkets, usually what is on sale :shrug:

luxepiggy
September 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Normally I'm a buy-everything-at-Neiman's girl, but I purposely bought a cheapo department store hair dryer so I could get a lower wattage. The high-end stuff is all industrial-strength, burn-everything-in-its-path-to-a-crisp-if-only-I-could-lift-it-good-thing-it's-far-too-heavy type monstrosities! (^(oo)^)v

luxepiggy
September 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Although spending more on tweezers? No thanks! I can get just as good results with the six dollars I spent on the tweezers and a 10x magnifying mirror as I could with the thirty dollars spent on a different pair of tweezers.

The best tweezers I've ever used are the ones I bought for $0.50 at a Chinese restaurant supply store. :cheese:

proo
September 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I go with the cheapest suave-o out there, shampoo and condish - but it's waaaay dilute and followed with a lemon rinse. Works fer me.

christine1989
September 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Most of my products are on the expensive side but they are ones that last a long time which makes it worthwhile.

supermanok03
September 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM
i don't really like to "save" on stuff that goes on my hair/scalp/face/eyes. i mean, i won't pay unreasonable prices for items that are just marked up, like crazy expensive brands with the same ingredients as every other brand, but i won't purposely search out the cheapest things i can find, for things that go on sensitive skin!

rchorr
September 28th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I have to say that I use baby soap/shampoo to take eye makeup off (on the VERY rare occasions that I wear it). It's specifically designed NOT to hurt your eyes.

The only reason I tried it is because I had some in the house from when the kids were younger.

RCHORR'

Sundial
September 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I have to say that I use baby soap/shampoo to take eye makeup off (on the VERY rare occasions that I wear it). It's specifically designed NOT to hurt your eyes.

The only reason I tried it is because I had some in the house from when the kids were younger.

RCHORR'

Actually oil works just as well and if you oil your hair you will probably have them around :) I like it when stuff do double duty