PDA

View Full Version : Coconuts

lyssymae
September 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I'm writing a lot today, this being my fourth thread of the day. I've heard coconut oil is great to keep your hair shiny and smooth but I'm not sure where to get it. I live in the northwest if that helps:D.

tinti
September 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I got it in a special shop where they sell only natural, virgin things like oils, tea, vitamins, and such.

pepperminttea
September 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
When I was in the US I got mine in Fred Meyer's, in the organics section. Most supermarkets have it. :)

lyssymae
September 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
When I was in the US I got mine in Fred Meyer's, in the organics section. Most supermarkets have it. :)

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? :D

liagibba
September 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
yep! I get mine in the organic section of Frederick Meyer! I think it's $9-$11 fot the jar, and it lasts forever!

Gumball
September 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM
yep! I get mine in the organic section of Frederick Meyer! I think it's $9-$11 fot the jar, and it lasts forever!

I can attest to that! I got mine at a Whole Foods, but I've seen different brands of it elsewhere. Mine was about $6-7 for the jar. I've had it for over two years and it still works well and smells great!

Amraann
September 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I know they do not have Publix in the NW but I buy mine in the grocery store.

Some stores have it with the other oils but some have it, like mentioned above, in the organic/health food section.

Also if your store does not carry it the manager may agree to order it for you.

AreWild
September 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I got mine at Whole Foods, too. If you have trouble finding it you may want to ask a store employee. I expected it to be with the olive oil and other cooking oils, but it was on the other side of the store next to nutritional supplements. :rolleyes:

lyssymae
September 26th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks! But now I have another question:rolleyes:. How do you apply it?

JuneBride
September 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I bought some today at GNC for $7.99 and used it for the first time!!! It made my hair super soft after just one use!

spidermom
September 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM
I got mine at Fred Meyer organic section, too.

Just scrape a little out, rub it between your palms, then run your palms down your hair (sandwiched between your palms). Then comb through.

McFearless
September 26th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I apply it as a leave in after I wash my hair. A little goes a long way. I wash my hands and scrape a little bit from the jar and rub it between my hands. Then I sandwhich my ends with my two hands and rub whatevers left onto the length of my hair.

Flaxen
September 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks! But now I have another question:rolleyes:. How do you apply it?

Check out The Oiling Tutorial (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71). :smile:

lyssymae
September 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks so much everyone! But since it is my job as the newbie to ask questions, I have to ask another one. WHEN should I apply it?

tinti
September 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I apply it the night before I wash my hair, or a couple hours before. I just split my hair in 2 sections, like you do the braids on each side, and go through it with my coconut oiled hands. When my hair is dry I just take a teensy bit and apply as a leave in.

Toffee20
September 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM
North west of where? If I may ask you!
I found some reasonably priced in a shop in Warrington, (north west in the UK!) can't remember what it is called at the moment though...

Anje
September 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks so much everyone! But since it is my job as the newbie to ask questions, I have to ask another one. WHEN should I apply it?
That tends to take some trial and error.

A lot of people like to coat their hair with it heavily a few hours before washing. Tends to cut frizz and result in well-moisturized hair.

I like to put in a dab (seriously, start with a drop/oiled fingertip) after washing, while it's still damp and before I comb it out. I think this makes the combing easier. Others comb, then apply it to their damp hair. The major trouble with putting it on damp hair is that you don't get to gauge whether you've applied too much until it's dry.

A third set likes to wait til hair is dry, then apply a little bit. Some people complain that it makes their hair feel a bit crunchy this way, but that really varies from person to person, and even from year to year. Mine used to hate getting oil on dry hair, now it likes it.

aenflex
September 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
For heavy oilings I just put it all over my dry hair the night before wash days. For lighter oilings, I put just a little on my wet hair after washing/conditioning. Sometimes I put a lot on my ends and hit em with the blow dryer just to warm them up. Mix it in with conditioner/honey for my own version of SMT. If you haven't heard of SMT you should try it. There's a thread or two :)

breezefaerie
September 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I got mine at Walmart, in the cooking oils section. $8.00 for a giant tub of LouAna's Coconut oil.

Love it!