PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Water Effect On Hair?

Alex Lou
September 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Now, before stepping in a pool, I'll put conditioner on the length of my hair to protect it from damage. But the ocean is very different. It actually makes my hair look really nice with lovely spirals . . . and soft. And after I wash it, it feels the same as before I went swimming.

Is ocean water damaging?

I'm going to the beach in about an hour. I'll be swimming almost the whole time. I'm planning on spraying on some lime juice for lightening in the sun and that's it. Anything else I should be doing?

JenniferNoel
September 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
The salty water can be a little drying for me, as is the lime (or lemon, it's still citrus), so I do believe that would be the most negative effect. Last time I got salt water on my hair, like you said, it felt the same after as before, however several days later my ends got crunchy and started splitting. But mixed with the citric acid (lime juice), I can tell you that that is not the most wonderful thing for hair.

spidermom
September 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Your hair could get pretty dried out. But I always liked the effect of salt water on my hair before I was so concerned with growing it. Now I'd load it up with coconut oil and braid it for the protection.

kitten1986
September 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Probably too late now, but I always heard that you should wet your dry hair with clean fresh water before you go in the ocean, apparently it stops your hair from sucking up the sea water because its already at capacity... dont know if this an old wives tale, but I have always done it hahaha

nowxisxforever
September 26th, 2010, 05:16 PM
We have a saline pool in my complex and it's been a bit difficult with my hair, but not too terribly much. I wash it with a little shampoo and if it gets too dry, I slather it in coconut oil until wash day (or the next time I go swimming). Another thing to do is get your hair completely wet with non-salt water before you go in.

ktani
September 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
This may help, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115

Alex Lou
September 28th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the input.

I decided that it was fine. In past summers, I'd go swimming in the ocean twice a week and never noticed crunchy ends. I really don't see how rinsing it beforehand would do anything since the sea is fully saturating my hair for an extended period. And even if that initial water were to stay there somehow, the salt would be pulled to the area of less concentration (in my hair). But I did swim in a non-chlorine copper pool afterward, so I guess all the salt got rinsed.

Jasperine
September 28th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Maybe I'm just really slow, but I'm so going to coconut my hair before going into salt water the next time ^^ Good trick!

aenflex
September 28th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hair is like a sponge, getting it wet or preferably saturated with water or conditioner will prevent it from absorbing too much of the pool/sea water. I never let my hair interfere with chlorine. I live on the beach and I wouldn't go in the water every day without having my hair protected by oil, but a few times a month hasn't really done damage to my hair. I don't always remember that step but it's not going to stop me from swimming :)

candlesandfish
September 28th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I live in Australia and about 20 minutes drive from several beaches so swim a lot in the ocean in summer. I've had waist length hair for 7 years or more, and about BSL prior to that, gone swimming every day and not even washed it out some days (I know, shock) and it's stayed in fine condition.

As long as you wash it out well you should be fine :)

Alex Lou
September 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hair is like a sponge, getting it wet or preferably saturated with water or conditioner will prevent it from absorbing too much of the pool/sea water. :)
I believe about the conditioner. But if you just saturate it with water, chemistry tells us that the salt can simply move from the water outside your hair into the water inside your hair. And it will, because it goes to the area of less concentration.

I live in Australia and about 20 minutes drive from several beaches so swim a lot in the ocean in summer. I've had waist length hair for 7 years or more, and about BSL prior to that, gone swimming every day and not even washed it out some days (I know, shock) and it's stayed in fine condition.
Sounds good. I kinda suspect that it's not harmful. And I wonder if anyone has any information on if it really is?