PDA

View Full Version : Can treating your hair/scalp well encourage new growth?

rosieex3
September 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Ever since I've stopped dying my hair, using harsh shampoo which dried out my scalp and hair, brushing wet hair, and straightening my bangs..I've noticed that I have more "frizz" all around my scalp by my forehead/hairline/temples and whatnot. It all seemed to be smoothed down until I've started co-washing and throwing away the chemicals/heat. I have wavy hair that pretty much needs length to be weighed down and not fluffy looking. Could the frizzy looking hairs around my forehead be new growth coming in? I know that new hairs show a taper at the end, but I honestly can't tell. Thanks in advance!

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
I discovered something like that too lately. So I bet it is a new growth;) Does the frizz bother you or you can cope up with it?;) If it bothers you I am sure someone here would find a way to fix it. I ignore my baby hairs and I let them grow long to catch up;)

spidermom
September 27th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Yes, I would be willing to bet money that you are seeing new growth.

growing2shine
September 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Im having the same thing.:D My scalp is very sensitive (as all my skin is:rolleyes:) and after I have stopped useing dye, heat, and washing my hair all the time I can now see many little hairs comming out and when I look at my pictures it's very clear that it's because of my new way of treating it. I also remember when I started dying, my hair did shed like crazy and I acually though at one time that I would end up bald.shudder: But im glad I didn't!!!:pinktongue:

supermanok03
September 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
yes!! that happened to me too! i started sleeping with a satin sleep cap on at night, and i noticed a bunch of really short hair around my hairline that would sort of stick out when my hair was up (since i don't use hairspray or anything on my hair).

i guess before the sleep cap i was experiencing breakage from friction on my pillow while i was sleeping! i want to start massaging my scalp before bed too to help with circulation, but i'm always lazy to undo the dutch braid lol.

Chiara
September 27th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, definitely. I think that it's also that the hair does not get weathered as badly (ie eroded) from all the harsh treatment, so that it is thicker and more visible. I am clearly seeing this around my hairline, at the moment, I think in part because I am stretching washes and using a mild washing technique. Shampoo seems to be a prime source of hair damage for me.

rosieex3
September 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Yay, I'm super happy now! I can definitely put up with the frizz I have around my hairline if I know it's going to grow in nicely. I don't mind it much. Thanks so much for the replies, so exciting! I've been hoping my hair would thicken up, because it seems a lot thinner then it was when it was all virgin.