PDA

View Full Version : I found an easy way to disguise my thin ends (pics).

Angeletti
September 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
So I love to wear my hair down for the first few days after wash day but lately I've become embarrassed over how the ends have been appearing so thin due to not really cutting or trimming over the years (I plan on reaching goal first then trimming regularly to thicken it up). My hair is naturally straight and that's usually how I like to wear it so yesterday I thought I would experiment by just curling it enough to see if I could hide my thin ends and surprisingly it worked. I thought I would share with you guys in case anyone else had thin ends and liked to wear their hair somewhat straight. This may be my favorite hairstyle now, the curls don't string together like my straight ends would so it's much easier to deal with and I don't have to walk around feeling like everyone is pointing at me and saying how thin my hair looks :)

Here are the before and after results. I just took the curlers out in the last pic and they look better when they fall out a bit but you can still get an idea.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/1-7.jpg

mali
September 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Wow,this is really pretty,Angeletti! Thanks for the tips!:p

Quixii
September 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Cool! I've always like how though my hair looks really thin at the ends when wet (and straight), once it curls up, it hardly looks thin at all because the curls disguise it all. :)

Svenja
September 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
That's lovely! Thank you!

Gumball
September 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM
That's a super cute way to fill in the ends, Angeletti! It really works wonders. Since it makes you feel better about your ends, too, then I think that's the best part!

Peter
September 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Wow.

WOW.

Your hair is incredibly sleek and shiny.

Angeletti
September 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone, I wasn't sure if it would look silly having straight hair then instant curl like that but so far you guys have been giving nice comments so it must not look too bad : )

Luckysock
September 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I love it! tell us about what curling method you used - rag curlers?

Siava
September 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
To me, your ends don't appear that thin at all. It's all in how we view them personally, of course. The curls are adorable!! They're quite playful and unexpected. Ooooh, you're going to start a trend. Just you wait. ;)

Arianwen
September 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I was thinking, thin ends? What thin ends? :)

Olivia23
September 26th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I think your ends look good straight. They don't look that thin to me at all. I sure wish my hair could be straight like that without using anything to straighten it.

GoddesJourney
September 26th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Oh, wow! That looks REALLY beautiful. I love the style and I love the color. Rock on.

selenechiba
September 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
That's stunning! I was thinking the same thing as Luckysock - what's your method? This is something I would love to reproduce.

Angeletti
September 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Here is my method for those of you who were wondering. I use the curlers in the picture below on damp hair and usually leave them in over night. I bought them many years ago so I'm not sure if they are still around in the stores but it would be easy to make them it looks like it's just a normal sponge with a piece of wire through the center. Hope that helps you guys!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/curlers.jpg

Hylia
September 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Your hair looks amazing! I really want to buy those curling sponges now, My hair has been so boring after ditching the curling iron, but these curls look great.

Fairlight63
September 26th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Your hair doesn't look thin to me either when straight. You have beautiful hair!

Those rollers look good also. I hope that I can find them some where.

Khepri
September 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Oh wow! Lovely, lovely, lovely. I love curls!

Angeletti
September 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the nice words about my ends : ) In that picture they are brushed so don't look as bad as normal, but minutes after brushing they tend to get stringy and tangled, I'm not sure if that's just due to having fine hair or if it's because I haven't had a good trim in a while, probably both.

Shellby
September 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Gorgeous! I love it. And I don't see thin ends either. Just beautiful hair. What kind of curlers are those?

Jezerellica
September 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Whoaa. Pic #3 is gorgeous. Your end curls blend so well with the top. The color is beautiful too!

Yozhik
September 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Angeletti, those curls look so cute and bouncy! Your hair looks so shiny, too.

Great idea :)

mali
September 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Wow,beautiful nails!

Little_Bird
September 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Of course I think the curls are gorgeous BUT! Your hair doesn't look thin at all to me. You can see it's untrimmed hair but it looks gorgeous.

I wouldn't be self conscious about wearing it loose straight as well =) It's beautyfull!

christine1989
September 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Wow! You sure did disguise them! I love the style. :)

LaurenH
September 26th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Cool! That looks great! :)

Pumpkin
September 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Your hair is beautiful straight or curly!! :)

Angeletti
September 26th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks so much! If anyone tries this you'll have to let me know how it turns out.

little_cherry
September 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Oh, Angeletti, your hair is sooo beautiful! What a wonderful idea!

McFearless
September 26th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Oh my god your hair is beautiful! Honestly my breath caught a bit when I saw it.

eezepeeze
September 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
You have the hair I have always wanted...black, sleek, straight, and shiny, and it even holds a curl...GORgeous!!!

shadowclaw
September 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
That's really pretty! I might just try it out, too, because my ends are thin, too. I also have those exact curlers. I bought them at Walmart like seven years ago and only used them a few times.

Delila
September 26th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Love the curly look, thanks for the tip!

(also, love your manicure, very pretty! Nail stamping is so much fun, don't you think?)

melrose1985
September 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I don't think your ends really look that thin, but the curls look great on your hair!

tanya222
September 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Firstly I honestly don't think your ends look thin at all! You have lovely hair! And secondly this is an awesome idea, it looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing it!

paperwhite
September 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Clever tip, it looks great! :)

Bonkers57
September 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Oooo, pretty! Have bookmarked for future reference! :D

So I love to wear my hair down for the first few days after wash day but lately I've become embarrassed over how the ends have been appearing so thin due to not really cutting or trimming over the years (I plan on reaching goal first then trimming regularly to thicken it up). My hair is naturally straight and that's usually how I like to wear it so yesterday I thought I would experiment by just curling it enough to see if I could hide my thin ends and surprisingly it worked. I thought I would share with you guys in case anyone else had thin ends and liked to wear their hair somewhat straight. This may be my favorite hairstyle now, the curls don't string together like my straight ends would so it's much easier to deal with and I don't have to walk around feeling like everyone is pointing at me and saying how thin my hair looks :)

Here are the before and after results. I just took the curlers out in the last pic and they look better when they fall out a bit but you can still get an idea.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a203/genazollner/1-7.jpg

tinti
September 26th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Wow that looks great! That's something I have to remember when/if my ends starts looking thin and awwful :)

LuXious
September 26th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Very pretty!

KittyLost
September 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM
It looks beautiful :)

ilovelonghair
September 27th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I have to try that, I love it! I sometimes use another trick: I make a french braid and roll the end around the braid, so all the hair gets wavy and the ends look like Angeletti's ones.

Phexlyn
September 27th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Those curly ends look great! Thanks for the idea :)

Drynwhyl
September 27th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Personally I think your ends aren't thin at all, but it looks lovely curled like that (:

Theobroma
September 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Your hair looks stunning!

Angeletti
September 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I have to try that, I love it! I sometimes use another trick: I make a french braid and roll the end around the braid, so all the hair gets wavy and the ends look like Angeletti's ones.
I'll have to try wrapping the tail around as well, good idea : )

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Your hair is so shiny! Beautiful. And it lays perfectly on your back with those curls:) Thanks for this trick:)

anodyne_ame
September 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM
You're hair is gorgeous!! I want mine to look that good one day. And seconding everyone else's comments - what thin ends?! The color is beautiful too, I was just drooling about it in the black hair pic thread :)

My hair is straight with thin ends (really :D) and I like to wear it down more than I probably should, I'm definitely trying those curls, especially if they hold very well, usually my hair goes back to stick straigth after two hours no matter what I do.

aenflex
September 28th, 2010, 09:09 AM
absolutely beautiful!

Angeletti
September 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM
You're hair is gorgeous!! I want mine to look that good one day. And seconding everyone else's comments - what thin ends?! The color is beautiful too, I was just drooling about it in the black hair pic thread :)

My hair is straight with thin ends (really :D) and I like to wear it down more than I probably should, I'm definitely trying those curls, especially if they hold very well, usually my hair goes back to stick straigth after two hours no matter what I do.
I hope they work out for you. I have always had the issue of curl falling out within hours as well when I used to use curling irons and regular heat curlers not to mention I'd have to load my hair with tons of hairspray just to get them to stay in that long. I wish I would have found these back in my younger days : )

Eolan
October 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Thank you for posting this! I got my hands on some curlers and I am so trying this!

LouLaLa
October 28th, 2010, 09:20 AM
LOVE this. I am so putting my hair in rags tonight!

Thanks for sharing, you have really pretty hair and the ringlets make it look even shinier. SO subscribing to this thread to use in future! Any product used?

Angeletti
October 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks and I hope it works for you! I don't believe I used any products when I had done the curls that day because I was hoping some of the curls would fall out a bit. I do use hairspray occasionally but not very often because I hate to put it on my hair.

PJ-Sander
October 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Great idea--and your hair is gorgeous!

MsBubbles
October 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Well it sure looks beautiful but I'm also a 1a/F/ii and these will have fallen out of my ends within half an hour. :(

Angelica
October 28th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Your hair looks absolutely incredible! So shiny and thick, especially with the curls added. My problem as well is that curls can't hold in my fine hair. But I might try it as I haven't tried to curl my hair for a long time.

violetmermaid
October 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
even though I don't think they look thin, I understand your plight. My sister is a hairstylist & even though I told her I didn't want layers, while sitting in her chair after she colored it, she began to cut layers. Once that first layer was cut, there was no turning back. so the end of my hair is not as thick as the top, which drives me nuts. love my hair, but it's just one of those ocd things I guess,lol. but I don't like it enough to cut it off,lol.:p

ddiana1979
October 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
That's gorgeous. :D I'm going to try that. I don't know how much luck I'll have, because my hair despises curl & goes back to straight within about 30 minutes, but I'll give it a shot.

Vermelha
October 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Very pretty! I do this too to disguise my thin ends!

mrs_coffee
October 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Your hair is so shiny and beautiful, especially with the curls. I love it.

TinaDenali
October 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Wow, so pretty!!! I love it!!

CaityBear
October 28th, 2010, 06:12 PM
That's really cute! I might just have to try that. My ends are fairly thin too from old layers and hair just breaking off at different lengths.

My other problem is I kind of don't like braids. I LOVE braiding my hair and just leaving it down, but the end of the braid gets so thin I hate to show it... :(