PDA

View Full Version : An awkward encounter

bumblebums
September 26th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I ran into my hairdresser yesterday. I almost didn't recognize her because her hair is now platinum. I also felt really guilty for not having been back to visit her in over a year... but I did send a co-worker her way, so at least she still has the same number of clients. Here's how our conversation went:

Hairdresser: "Hi! How are you!"
Bumblebums: "Oh, hey! I didn't recognize you, your hair looks so different!"
H: "Yours, too. It's so... long! I didn't know it was so wavy. It looks good!"
B: "Yeah, me neither... But that's what it does when I don't do anything to it. So, has my coworker So-and-So been coming to see you?"
H: "Oh, yeah. She told me about you."
B: "I haven't been going to any other hairdresser, I promise! Look, it wouldn't have grown this long if I'd been cutting it."
H: "I kind of figured you started going to somebody else..."
B: "No-no, I swear. I just stopped cutting it altogether."
H: "Wow, it's so long..."

I'm still chuckling to myself.

SpinDance
September 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM
That's too funny!

Carolyn
September 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
:D That's funny! It's amazing what happens when you stop getting your hair cut!

hmmm
September 26th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Ohh I'm dreading going back to my hairdresser when I need a trim... it'll be years before I do! She'll be soo mad at me :p :p

bumblebums
September 26th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hehe--yeah, I feel like a total traitor.

By the way, she is an excellent stylist for a longhair. She cuts exactly as much as you ask her to, doesn't try to push stuff on you, and gives sensible advice when you ask her to. That's why I sent my co-worker to her (she was having a hard time finding a good stylist in the area). So if any of you NYC longhairs need a good cutter, I'd be happy to send you her way! (And yes, this my guilt speaking.)

Carolyn
September 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hehe--yeah, I feel like a total traitor.

By the way, she is an excellent stylist for a longhair. She cuts exactly as much as you ask her to, doesn't try to push stuff on you, and gives sensible advice when you ask her to. That's why I sent my co-worker to her (she was having a hard time finding a good stylist in the area). So if any of you NYC longhairs need a good cutter, I'd be happy to send you her way! (And yes, this my guilt speaking.)You should not feel the least bit guilty for doing what you want with your hair. It's not your responsibility to support the hair industry if you don't wish to.

PrincessBob
September 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
That's right up there with the running into a friend whose baby shower you skipped to go on a date, whilst discussing the date with another friend.

Pumpkin
September 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM
You should not feel the least bit guilty for doing what you want with your hair. It's not your responsibility to support the hair industry if you don't wish to.

Thank you Carolyn!! :applause

Juneii
September 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
oh I know my hairdresser is a bit peeved at me. My mom and I have been going to him for a haircut since I was 5. But since my hair is long enough to trim it myself I don't bother to even go and get my bangs fixed.
My mom told him I was trimming it myself and he made some comment about how I don't know what I am doing and is probably cutting it crooked.

.. probably am but if it saves me the $18 for the cut then I am all for it.

TiaKitty
September 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM
LOL! At least you conversed with her instead of just turning and running, which is what *I* would have done...

Khepri
September 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Oh my goodness! That is wonderfully awkward! For me, hairdressers are the kiss of death to my hair. I stay as far away as I possibly can.

bumblebums
September 26th, 2010, 02:06 PM
You should not feel the least bit guilty for doing what you want with your hair. It's not your responsibility to support the hair industry if you don't wish to.

Oh, I know. If I felt different, I would be in that chair right now paying $60 to get an inch taken off the bottom. Which of course I can now do at home for $0! The only thing I don't get is the nice scalp massage at the end... it just never feels the same when you do it yourself. And BF never volunteers.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, I've given them enough of my money already. I used to be the owner of a pixie that had to be shorn every six weeks.

That's right up there with the running into a friend whose baby shower you skipped to go on a date, whilst discussing the date with another friend.

Hehe, you mean me telling you guys? I guess so. I was thinking it was more like, "Sorry I haven't been intimate with you lately, hon... It's not like I am cheating on you with another man--in fact, I've given up sex altogether!"

Roseate
September 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I was thinking it was more like, "Sorry I haven't been intimate with you lately, hon... It's not like I am cheating on you with another man--in fact, I've given up sex altogether!"

Ha, that's a good analogy! Like running into an ex-boyfriend who you dumped in order to go become a nun!

Little_Bird
September 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
But she liked your hair! That's great! :) Sounds like an open minded hair dresser at least :D

Yozhik
September 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ha, that's a good analogy! Like running into an ex-boyfriend who you dumped in order to go become a nun!

Haha! Best analogy ever. :D

Yes, it sounds deliciously awkward :)

christine1989
September 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
It sounds like your hairdresser thought you were cheating on her ;) At least she wasn't mad though.

young&reckless
September 26th, 2010, 05:44 PM
He he he, my hairdresser is also a bartender at my favorite pub so I just tip her more then the other bartenders and we call it even :)

bumblebums
September 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM
He he he, my hairdresser is also a bartender at my favorite pub so I just tip her more then the other bartenders and we call it even :)

Ah, don't even get me started on being faithful to bartenders... there's a guy I haven't been to see in about a year. I better start thinking of excuses I'm going to give him for that inevitable awkward encounter!

tinti
September 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM
haha, I'm glad I don't have to go through awkward hairdresser things. My mother is a hairdreser and she was cutting my hair every 8th month before. She won't notice it if I decide to cut/dye 4-5 months later than normal :) Sounds like an openminded hairdresser though. My mom hates it if I want one lenght hair and no bangs which is actually my goal.

Henrietta
September 27th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I'm chuckling too:D It's funny:D And you are brave. My hairdresser just... doesn't know I am not cutting my hair in general, unless I need my fringe to be shortened and if I trim- I don it by myself:D I just don't know how to tell that so... I won't.

motormuffin
September 27th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I had almost this same thing happen. I waited so long to get my hair done that by the time I called for the appointment, the hairdresser didn't even work there anymore. I had to hunt her down. The girl that answered the phone had to get my number to her on the down-low...she could have been fired. I had almost the same conversation with her that you had...almost exactly.

bumblebums
September 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I had almost this same thing happen. I waited so long to get my hair done that by the time I called for the appointment, the hairdresser didn't even work there anymore. I had to hunt her down. The girl that answered the phone had to get my number to her on the down-low...she could have been fired. I had almost the same conversation with her that you had...almost exactly.

Hehe, that's pretty weird!