PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for thinning hair and improving scalp?

dizzygazelle
September 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I've recently cut my hair for locks of love and am starting over growing it out again for similar purposes in the future. I have high blood pressure and heart problems that seem to be taking a toll on my baby fine hair. I've had fairly thin, silky-soft blond hair most my life but over the last few years it's started to shed more and more. My widow's peak is becoming a bit more pronounced as well. I use purelogy shampoo/conditioners regularly but I'm wondering if someone might recommend a special scalp/hair treatment that would strengthen my follicles that also works well with sensitive skin. I'm hoping to be able to donate my hair again to locks of love but so far I'm making more donations to my furniture:(

Centaur
September 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
You may want to do a search for "Locks of Love" using the search feature on this forum for some interesting stories and information.

As for follicle health...are you eating well and taking any supplements for hair health? Scalp massage to increase circulation may also help.

orbiting
September 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM
My best friend is a hair stylist - she says I have clogged hair follicles and generally I've always had very fine hair. I have some health issues as well... Obviously vitamins (I take a daily multi and a B-Complex with biotin and folic acid, which is also recommended for people on some of the meds I am on). She also recommended I begin using Nioxin (level 4, I have chemically treated hair). It smells like tea tree oil and mint (I have seriously sensitive skin as well as multiple allergies and chemical sensitivity). It has been making my head itch like mad and my scalp is breaking out some, but I've only been using it for a week (and both of those things happen when my hair grows in elsewhere, so...). The itchiness is calming down now, and my hair feels thicker overall.

My shedding has decreased since I started using the Nioxin. I don't use the scalp treatment, just the shampoo/conditioner...

LittleOrca
September 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
If you do start using Nioxin, they have it at Costco in the huge sizes (since I know you're in my area. ;) ) They also have the same stuff under a different name at Sally's. There it is called Nutriox.

And here are some links about LoL:

"Lather, Rinse, Donate": http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2
LoL at Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love
The Hair Donation/Locks of Love Debate : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=547&

If you want to donate your hair still to charities, I am sure someone here can point you to a nice, legitimate one. Me, I am keeping my hair. *hugs it.*

dizzygazelle
September 26th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the advice! I was thinking about the nioxin but not sure if it'd work for me with the allergies and health stuff. I do take my vitamins (multi, B, calcium and D) everyday and I have the nicest nails to prove it. As for donations, I just want my hair to go to a good person in need and don't much care what charities involved but Ill be sure to ask for your help Miss Orca when I do find it possible to donate again:)

Anyone else have any suggestions or natural remedies to recommend?

lauravmarcela
September 26th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Nioxin I heard was very good, they make supplements too (check with your doctor), it has niacin and biotin (and more) mix that is supposed to help. You may want to read up on Niacin since it's also one of the most popular things to take for high blood pressure.