PDA

View Full Version : Could really use some good advice, having problems

Barefootgirl
September 24th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I am a Caucasian woman, late 40s.

Over the past couple of years, my hair texture has really changed from smooth and silky with a slight wave, to coarse, wire-y and dry.

This is not from damage related to heat styling, etc. (I am gentle on my hair)

I suspect this has resulted from hormonal or dietary changes, although it cannot be pinpointed as of yet.

My point here is that I have never had this hair texture before so I do not know how to care for it or manage it - I work a professional job and cannot afford to walk around on the job with a "woolly mop".

My definition of long hair is shoulder length...so that said, I am not too terribly worried about incurring a little damage to my hair in order to make it appear smoother. (I am a frequent trimmer.)

That said, I do not believe my situation is drastic enough for a salon or home straightening treatment - yet.

I did start using coconut oil for deep weekly conditioning treatments and that seemed to help somewhat. I have also begun to do conditioner washing instead of shampoo washing, although I am somewhat confused about how to clarify and when to clarify.

I would love some tips on how to smooth my hair and make it appear less wire-y.

I realize flat ironing is a dirty word, but I may have to resort to that if I do not go the chemical straightening route.

I would love some tips on flat ironing (I have never done it) from anyone here familiar with that.

All tips appreciated, I almost feel desperate here.

Thank you BF

luxepiggy
September 24th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I find the cold shot setting on the hair dryer, directed down the hair shaft, ups my smoothness & shine a lot.

Don't know if you're OK with cones; if so, have you tried using something like biosilk? My old roomie had hair like you're describing. One day she did this charity fashion show and came home with great hair, because the stylists had put Biosilk in it.

paperwhite
September 24th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Have you tried any deep conditioning treatments? Going CO is a good step, but try an SMT (have to go find the link...) and see how it works out for you. Sorry you're having to cope with such a drastic change in texture, I hope you find something here that'll help! :)

ETA: Here it is:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Give it a shot, play around with the ingredients. Different mixes work for different people :)

tinti
September 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
There is clarifying shampoos to be bought. I just got myself one :) It's called Jonathan Detox Dirt. But some use Baking Soda, some use ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) and so on. I just saw a thread yesterday .... *search*

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55878

Ah, I love the net log :)

ktani
September 24th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I am a Caucasian woman, late 40s.

Over the past couple of years, my hair texture has really changed from smooth and silky with a slight wave, to coarse, wire-y and dry.

This is not from damage related to heat styling, etc. (I am gentle on my hair)

I suspect this has resulted from hormonal or dietary changes, although it cannot be pinpointed as of yet.

My point here is that I have never had this hair texture before so I do not know how to care for it or manage it - I work a professional job and cannot afford to walk around on the job with a "woolly mop".

My definition of long hair is shoulder length...so that said, I am not too terribly worried about incurring a little damage to my hair in order to make it appear smoother. (I am a frequent trimmer.)

That said, I do not believe my situation is drastic enough for a salon or home straightening treatment - yet.

I did start using coconut oil for deep weekly conditioning treatments and that seemed to help somewhat. I have also begun to do conditioner washing instead of shampoo washing, although I am somewhat confused about how to clarify and when to clarify.

I would love some tips on how to smooth my hair and make it appear less wire-y.

I realize flat ironing is a dirty word, but I may have to resort to that if I do not go the chemical straightening route.

I would love some tips on flat ironing (I have never done it) from anyone here familiar with that.

All tips appreciated, I almost feel desperate here.

Thank you BF

Here is a post on clarifying, chelating, baking soda and more, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1260283&postcount=6.

I just completed a blog post on silicones, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/, taken from my posts in a thread today.

This is the updated catnip article, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118.

I hope some or all of this information may help you. It may also help if you see your doctor, to see if there is an underlying medical problem that needs addressing, if you have not done so already. I am not sure from your post.

leslissocool
September 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
My hair is like that! It's been coarse, dark , wire-y and puffy all my life! I am Italian, so I have a massive amount of it too...

I found that deep conditioning helps me a lot. I deep condition with coconut oil about once a week now, and it really affects the texture, making it more smooth.

If you use cones, I am big on smoothing serums (like super skinny serum). It really helps cat my hair and give the appearance of smoothness and manageability. I clarify only about once a month (if I need to) I use a shampoo with sulfur, very mild though, so i don't get much build up. I do a hot oil treatment after too, and then use a mild shampoo and conditioner to get the oil out.

I wouldn't recommend hair relaxing, I honestly believe that a good hair straighter with lots of heat protection ( I use the CHI one, so far my hair hasn't been damaged by heat so far, and i straighten my hair quite a bit) three times a week is better than the damage one session of hair relaxation can do. I had it relaxed when i was younger, and it just turned into a mess... If your hair is wavy, then it'll take you less time to straighten and to me it seems a little too extream to do such a heavy chemical treatment you will have to keep up with (and increase damage every time to your hair).

kitten1986
September 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Alot of people on this forum might be horrified that I am going to give you this advice, however, I am completely aware of how damaging straightening (flat ironing) is to your hair, and I no longer straighten since being on these boards (ok maybe twice a year or so).

If you straighten your hair, you are going to damage it. There is no two ways about it. But there are some ways I think you can reduce the damage. I think that because your goal length of shoulder is relatively short by LHC standards, and you get trims often, and after all it is your hair, here are some tips if you decide to go the home straightening route.

If you do resort to straightening;

- make sure you buy a straightener with variable heat setting alot of the straighteners just heat up to 220 degrees Celcius which is horrifically damaging, if you have *some* control over the heat that you straighten I believe that you will damage your hair less

- invest in a really good heat protectant spray and use it every time you straighten or blowdry

- make sure you are doing regular moisture treatments, it wont repair the damage you are doing with the straightener, but it will make your hair feel softer, smoother and more managable

- if you are oiling with coconut oil (or anything else for that matter) do it AFTER you straighten, you dont want to put a high heat onto your hair if it has oil in it!

- make sure you get regular trims to get rid of the split ends, you might find you have more splits when you straighten

- I no longer straighten my hair, but when I did I found that it was best to do it in sections, I would pin all the hair above my ears on top of my head and do the thin layer at the nape of my neck then let a little more hair down and work my way through my hair like that. Use a small thin section of hair each time so you only have to run the iron over it once, this should also reduce some damage.

Hope that Helps, and I Hope I didnt offend anyone :flower:

aenflex
September 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
It may be sort of a taboo subject, but if you are gonna straighten, I say go with the best and invest in a chi/fhi/sedu iron and something to put on your hair like Redken heat glide. Try to find a product that doesn't contain alcohol. If you choose that route, that is. When I used to iron my hair I made sure to do it only a few times per month. Always had better results by washing/conditioning followed by blowing my hair completely dry then ironing. I am sure you know it won't help your texture over the long haul, but if you don't plan or growing it...

Jammy
September 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I have always had coarse wiry hair, deep oil treatments never did anything to help

what did though was putting a couple drops of coconut oil on damp hair after washing it and letting it dry like that.

Makes it soft and shiny not in the least bit coarse or greasy!

Hope it works for you! =)

little_cherry
September 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I have a few coarsies and have found that argan oil is fantastic for these....extra moisture is a plus. What I do is clarify/chelate, SMT, wash out and the oil my damp hair heavily..usually by morning, my hair has soaked up most of the oil..I re-braid or bun my hair for the day without any issues. Eventually my hair ends up soaking most of the oil. I do this once a month and use conditioner only for the rest of the month. Sometimes I use cones to smooth the roughness down.

dropinthebucket
September 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Women in their mid-to-late-40s who suddenly experience a change in hair texture resulting in coarse, wiry hair might check into other symptoms of hypothyroidism, as these are the typical onset years. If you've no other symptoms then, of course, that won't be the culprit, but it's worth mentioning, just in case, as the hair texture change is one of the key, identifying features of the condition.

ll
September 24th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Try oiling your scalp a bit overnight and then washing it out in the morning. I think hormonal changes can result in the scalp producing less sebum, and then one's hair feels very dry, coarse and wiry. Using a bit of oil on the scalp once or twice a week helps compensate for the "missing" sebum.

HTH :)

swivelhop
September 24th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have to agree with kitten1986 about the variable flat-irons. I can curl my hair on my finger with body heat, and flatiron it low enough that water wont even sizzle on the iron. I would of NEVER guessed if I hadn't tried.
Also hair wrapping:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51781&highlight=doobie
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53490&highlight=doobie

These are my weapons until I find an other magic conditioner that gives me wash and go hair again.

LadyLongLocks
September 24th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I found the coolest brush! Please don't flat iron! It is just too damaging.
Look at this brush! It looks like it would work well. I would suggest it to people trying to get straighter hair but are afraid to use a flat iron or other measures.
:DAMAZING BRUSH!
Denman Thermo-ceramic Straightening Brush (http://killerstrands.myshopify.com/products/denman-thermo-ceramic-straightening-brush)

I dont own one since I have straight hair, but I still like the looks of it!
I think it is an amazing idea!
Has anyone tried it?