PDA

View Full Version : 1867 hairstyle

redkdawg
September 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I found an image of a chignon that I may play with this weekend. Has anyone ever tried recreating an historic hairstyle?

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt9/redkimba_photo/1867Petersonsdoublechignon.jpg

eamane
September 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
That looks very nice :) Looking forward to pics to see if you make it!

Harriet
September 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM
This looks very interesting, I may try it too. Nice find!

arwenevenstar37
September 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM
this looks great :)

HairColoredHair
September 24th, 2010, 04:01 PM
That looks neat! (And fairly simple, surprisingly)

misstwist
September 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Must try!

What's the book?

Luckysock
September 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
so neat how you can see they are using strings not elastics like we do now - I can't imagine trying to get my hair into an updo with string :s

Capybara
September 24th, 2010, 07:11 PM
so neat how you can see they are using strings not elastics like we do now - I can't imagine trying to get my hair into an updo with string :s

Maybe that's why they had ladies in waiting - I'll have to convince my sister to help me with this, can't imagine doing it by myself (with strings at east - hair ties would be pretty straight forward :) )

akuamoonmaui
September 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I'm tryin' it this weekend! Hopefully my hair is long enough!

Heavenly Locks
September 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Beautiful, I can't wait to see photos of the attempts. :)

misstwist
September 25th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hair isn't quite long enough to replicate using that method. I think the idea of a double chignon is still there, though.

I pulled out the front bangs section and clipped it away. Then made a high pony and pulled it through bottom to top with my not-topsy-tail.

I formed a top loop, held the bottom of it in place with a finger, formed a bottom loop, then stuck in a Grip Tuth comb in the middle where the two loops meet. I took a couple bobbie pins and anchored the bottom loop to the top loop.

Then I took the bang section and arranged it in a wave at the front. I clipped that down, then used my not-topsy-tail to guide the tail of that piece through the bottom loop. Brought that around over the top and pinned the end under the bottom loop.

Not quite so pretty as the illustration, but when is it ever. I made the thing dang high because of the collared shirt. If I were wearing a turtle neck or something collarless it would be a lower.

*images have been moved to album*

SgtMomArmy
September 25th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Misstwist- nicely done!!

adiapalic
September 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
That's a really neat engraving. I think the illustration is pretty well-done too--easy to interpret. I might try this.

CaityBear
September 25th, 2010, 01:20 PM
It looks cool. :) Might have to try it some time.

mali
September 25th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Gorgeous!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool ::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Loreley
September 25th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I love it! I'll have to try it tomorrow. :D

Carolyn
September 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I like your 'do, MissTwist. The style looks fairly easy to do if you have enough length.

Yozhik
September 25th, 2010, 02:01 PM
How cool! I can't wait for my hair to dry so I can try this!

Henrietta
September 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Good job! You are an inventor, you know!

And what a nice book! Funny source of new hair ideas;)

tanya222
September 25th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Is that a Godey's Lady's Book?

I used to stalk auctions of those on ebay ages ago, when I had money..... aeons ago... (sigh) won one... no hairstyles though..

misstwist
September 25th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I looked at the illustration again and it occurs to me that if the length of the pony is tied like it shows, rather than banded like we would naturally do, then each portion would be tied to the initial ponytail base in turn.

Duh!

That would make a difference in how the shape turns out.

I think my hair is still too short to get the full effect with the ends split and pulled around.

misstwist
September 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I think it's Peterson's Ladies' Magazine, not Godey's.

Is that a Godey's Lady's Book?

I used to stalk auctions of those on ebay ages ago, when I had money..... aeons ago... (sigh) won one... no hairstyles though..

Charlotte:)
September 26th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I followed the pictures exactly and tied the strings to the base of the ponytail, but it always ends up looking more like Padme's Battle Bun: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=149

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Jezerellica
September 26th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks for sharing this historic pic with instructions! I have a collection of victorian magazines but don't have anything like that! What a cool thing to find, and then to be able to try it is so fun too!

bumblebums
September 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I followed the pictures exactly and tied the strings to the base of the ponytail, but it always ends up looking more like Padme's Battle Bun: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=149

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Hmm, could be that your hair is too springy to fold the way it does in the picture? Maybe it works best with very pliable hair. (Mine probably wouldn't work for this style, even if it was anywhere near long enough to try it.)

I love the awesome, clear instructions in the book!