PDA

View Full Version : "You're leaking orange!"

BelleBot
September 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm currently hennaing (hour 3 of 6) and nipped out of my flat to do some laundry, and someone came up to me and said "Excuse me, but you're leaking orange!" Whoops! Not exactly what I wanted to hear from a complete stranger! :doh:

Anyone else had any strange comments as a result of hennaing?
Also any tips for stopping the drippies? Just so I don't leak orange again! :rollin:

Anje
September 24th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Oh, that's great!

Honestly, I don't have a lot of help for you. I tend to only henna for an hour or two, and stay at home to do it. It invariably drips for me, so I've got a towel around my neck the whole time.

missjessiecakes
September 24th, 2010, 10:58 AM
you could try a henna gel instead.

Scroll about halfway down :) (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/annsophie/)

Alvrodul
September 24th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm currently hennaing (hour 3 of 6) and nipped out of my flat to do some laundry, and someone came up to me and said "Excuse me, but you're leaking orange!" Whoops! Not exactly what I wanted to hear from a complete stranger! :doh:

Anyone else had any strange comments as a result of hennaing?
Also any tips for stopping the drippies? Just so I don't leak orange again! :rollin:
I usually wind an elastic bandage around my hair where the plastic wrap ends. That tends to stop most of it - the only places I have had any leakage, are just behind my ears, and I can plug that with a bit of cotton wool.

marzipanfuntime
September 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Igor has an amazing turban thing in her blog, I think called The Sexy Smurf, where she puts layers of plastic wrap and old hats on. A bunch of big old stocking and beanie caps. You can also use an scarf you don't want and make a turban thing around the base of your plastic wrap. Anyway you are sure to look fetching :)

squiggyflop
September 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM
huh.. no ive never gotten weird comments.. um mostly because my hair only takes 20 minutes for my henna to give me the right color.. so i sit in a nice hot bath for those 20 minutes alone..
funny story though

kwaniesiam
September 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM
:spitting: I would have no idea how to respond to that. I've never left the house with henna on except to get drive-thru food once and I had a hat and a plastic bag on over it.

little_cherry
September 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM
LOL@ Bellebot! That's hilarious! Something like that happened to me and all I said was "yep, that's henna for you!" They seemed even more interested while even more of this goo was dripping on me and I explained what henna was..:D

I usually wind an elastic bandage around my hair where the plastic wrap ends. That tends to stop most of it - the only places I have had any leakage, are just behind my ears, and I can plug that with a bit of cotton wool.
Oh wow...thank you! What a brilliant idea! :D

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2010, 12:52 PM
You can make the henna less liquid, so it doesn't drip. My henna never leaks, that I know. If you are using henna that is harder to apply or harder to make it stick, I swear by adding sugar to the mix - it improves the texture so much! I can link you to the relevant thread if you're interested.

CrisDee
September 25th, 2010, 08:02 AM
You can make the henna less liquid, so it doesn't drip. My henna never leaks, that I know. If you are using henna that is harder to apply or harder to make it stick, I swear by adding sugar to the mix - it improves the texture so much! I can link you to the relevant thread if you're interested.

OOH, OOH, I am, I am!! :waving: The Drippies are why I have ended up henna-ing overnight - and getting up at 2am to rinse cos I can't take any more of the feeling of stuff running down my head and into my ears. I had been adding a few drops of honey to my mix, but then read somewhere that honey can interfere with dye uptake. I think I do remember it being less drippy, though - I'd LOOOVE to hear how I can have my henna and my sleep, too! :)

Heidi_234
September 25th, 2010, 08:23 AM
OOH, OOH, I am, I am!! :waving: The Drippies are why I have ended up henna-ing overnight - and getting up at 2am to rinse cos I can't take any more of the feeling of stuff running down my head and into my ears. I had been adding a few drops of honey to my mix, but then read somewhere that honey can interfere with dye uptake. I think I do remember it being less drippy, though - I'd LOOOVE to hear how I can have my henna and my sleep, too! :)
Here the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54267

The first post contains a link to H4H demonstrating how adding sugar can improve the texture. I was having trouble with regular sugar the first time, hence the thread. Essentially all you need to do is mix you henna, but avoid making it fluid. You can always add more water later if you feel like it could use more liquid. After you mix the henna, add sugar in generous amounts. I added 5 teaspoons for my root touch-up mix. You'll notice the texture changes a bit, and despite not being all drippy it applies and sticks to the hair beautifully. I had no henna falling off while applying, and definitely no dripping for many good hours I left it on my head.

jackie_brown
September 25th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Last time I hennaed, i put 2 TBS of mais starch in the mud.
I didn't drip at all ;)

CaityBear
September 25th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I always stay away from the public when I henna because I put a plastic bag on my head then I put a brightly coloured red and orange knit toque over top to keep the bag on and thus I look like a giant freak. haha

As for the dripping, I usually put paper towel or toilet paper around the bag and that catches it. It's usually super soaked by the end. lol

Unofficial_Rose
September 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
For me, I use several layers of cling film with cotton wool around the edges to stop the drips. All covered with a woolen beanie. Just so attractive.

Kudos for leaving the house while hennaing, I've never dared :D

TiaKitty
September 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Has anyone tried Fia's gel recipes?

I just put my henna into the freezer... I wonder if I mixed pectin up and added after I thawed, if it would work?

I just used plain water to make the mud which is in the freezer, and I suppose if I used some lemon juice in with the pectin mix, it might work...

What do y'all think?

sibiryachka
September 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Has anyone tried Fia's gel recipes?

I just put my henna into the freezer... I wonder if I mixed pectin up and added after I thawed, if it would work?

I just used plain water to make the mud which is in the freezer, and I suppose if I used some lemon juice in with the pectin mix, it might work...

What do y'all think?

I was wondering the exact same thing! Seems like it would, since the dye release has already happened during the freezing/thawing. I always make my mix mashed-potato thick before freezing it, then add conditioner to get it to applying consistency after it thaws. I don't see why adding pectin at that point wouldn't work too... But then again, "I don't see why it wouldn't work" are some famous last words :p I think I'll watch this thread a while to see what others might have to say before forging ahead!

Aredhel77
September 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Oh I hate you all for playing on my susceptibility to the power of suggestion...!! :p

It's 11:30 here in England and I can't sleep so am now off to henna my hair LOL. As you would. :D

Hopefully no drippies :)

RocketDog
September 27th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I get around the drippies by applying my henna right before bed, then sleeping with a big honkin' wool beanie over the plastic wrap to keep everything toasty warm. It usually has a few henna crusties on it when I take things down to rinse in the morning, but I've never leaked through to my pillow.

BelleBot
September 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Well I usually wrap it in several layers of cling film, then a big woolly hat and leave it overnight so no drippies, but I guess this time gravity is to blame, only started dripping a couple of hours after applying it.

I tried paper towels, but they didn't really work. Towel round the neck works, but then it looks like I'm going to the gym or can't afford a scarf! :p

marisa
September 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Last time I hennaed, I lost track of time and had to walk down the street to meet the kids bus.
I had a beanie on with a hoodie up over it and tried to look inconspicuous, but still managed to run into a chatty neighbor out walking her dog.

She never asked what was going on with my head, but sure stories must be circulating the neighborhood now. :)

sibiryachka
September 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Now it's me! I just got back from a walk to the library - hey, it's only 93 degrees out - and when I wiped the sweat off my neck, it was orange!! I hennaed my roots Monday night and haven't washed yet... guess there's more residue on my scalp than I realized ;) Time to wash, definitely. I usually wait it out for the full 3 days of oxidation, but not this time.

nemileo
September 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hehe, I have a story about henna, witch I hope is not found too private..

A while after i met my husband (to be at that time) I was visiting him at his apartment. In the morning we decided to take the morning shower together. A coupple of days before this I did a henna application for gloss to my damaged, black hair. Because my hair was dyed black, you couldn`t really see the henna except in sunshine, so my boyfriend did not now about it.

After showering for a little while, my boyfriend screams and jump out of the shower. When I ask him why, he yells that there is pee in the shower. It was offcorse just orange/yellow water from my hennaed hair, but it took me a lot of time to explain that for him. I guess he still feels disgusted about it... But now he has seen me hennaing dozens of times during the years, and he can even see the color now that I have given up chemical dye, so I guess he finally believes me :oops:

cocolady
October 20th, 2010, 04:50 AM
Hehe, I have a story about henna, witch I hope is not found too private..

A while after i met my husband (to be at that time) I was visiting him at his apartment. In the morning we decided to take the morning shower together. A coupple of days before this I did a henna application for gloss to my damaged, black hair. Because my hair was dyed black, you couldn`t really see the henna except in sunshine, so my boyfriend did not now about it.

After showering for a little while, my boyfriend screams and jump out of the shower. When I ask him why, he yells that there is pee in the shower. It was offcorse just orange/yellow water from my hennaed hair, but it took me a lot of time to explain that for him. I guess he still feels disgusted about it... But now he has seen me hennaing dozens of times during the years, and he can even see the color now that I have given up chemical dye, so I guess he finally believes me :oops:

lol omg :D guys are like that. They just don't understand why we would put anything like that on our head lol.