PDA

View Full Version : THick Hair updos

arwenevenstar37
September 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I was just wondering if any of you could help me because I don't seem to be able to do most of hte buns that I would want to do even at BSL because my hair is too thick and it won't hold...ex I have been trying to do a nautilus but it won't go through the loop...
Any ideas on buns for thick hair or any tips???

Aleria
September 24th, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm having the same problem - I've tried quite a few of the buns in the articles section and can't get any of them to stay - Chinese Bun, Split Bun, etc. My ends just can't wrap around enough to tuck in, and no clips or sticks can hold my hair in a Cinnabun.

tinti
September 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
have you tried to do two buns instead of 1? When I had 1 lenght hair I used to make a half up bun then take the remaining hair and do another bun, because 1, it was to thick and short to make a bun with my entire hair, and 2, if I tried to they allways fell out. The only buns I could do was the sock bun and the cinnabun and pincurls updo buns.

Maxs Mom
September 24th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I am anxiously waiting some responses. I have the same problem.

Igor
September 24th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Most iii’s simply can’t do buns until mid back. It’s too thick compared to the length to be secured coiled around itself

Using the search function with “thick” in the title for the mane forum yields 40 threads on the subject

BrightEyes7
September 24th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Personally my hair isn't super thick but it is still pretty thick.

When I had BSL all I could do was a cinnabun... but I did it a little different. Kinda like two buns....

I would gather my hair into a ponytail and secure with an elastic (yeah I use them!) and then I'd split the tail in half. Twist and wrap the first section around base (like a normal cinnabun) then hold and do the same with the second section but around the first wrapped section.

I think it looks a little nicer than the regular way, helps with thick hair, and when I was at BSL it gave me awesome bun waves!

Hope it helps...:p

Pixna
September 24th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm going to follow this thread, too!

I can do a Pencil Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34) -- it's my daily go-to updo. The secret for me is to not make it too tight. I've been able to do this bun since I was APL, but I've had to adapt it at each stage. It really IS adaptable -- you just have to play with it for a while to figure out what will work for you given your hair's thickness and length. I'm sure I'll adapt it again and again as my hair gets longer.

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2010, 11:17 AM
You could try this trick:
Gather hair as if doing a half up, but take as much hair as you can while still being able to the the bun. Do your bun of choice, but before securing it, wind the bottom section that you left out around the base.

bumblebums
September 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Gather hair as if doing a half up, but take as much hair as you can while still being able to the the bun. Do your bun of choice, but before securing it, wind the bottom section that you left out around the base.

That's what I was going to suggest, too. You can do any bun with a section of your hair and then maybe braid the parts that don't fit and wrap them around the base, or wind them around without braiding as Heidi suggests.

Pixna
September 24th, 2010, 11:24 AM

That's a terrific tip, Heidi! Thanks! :heart:

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM
That's what I was going to suggest, too. You can do any bun with a section of your hair and then maybe braid the parts that don't fit and wrap them around the base, or wind them around without braiding as Heidi suggests.
Like an accent braid, that's a great idea! I'll try it even though I do have enough length by now :wink:

That's a terrific tip, Heidi! Thanks! :heart:
You're welcome Pixna :flower:

proo
September 24th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Lately I've been "tying" mine and it's rock solid: dump head/hair over frontways, separate into 2 even hanks, twist both, then tie together like you would a shoelace - once, then one more time, so it's like a double knot. You'll have the 2 little ends sticking out which you can tuck in or let be. No sticks or tools or nuthin!

Sheltie_Momma
September 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM

This is what I did/still do.

You can also do the opposite. Pull top layer up like you are doing a half up. Twist and clip it up out of the way. Bun the bottom section, then take the top section, divide it into two flat sheets and pull it back, under and then back over again (like you are wrapping an ace bandage around the bun) - pin with bobby pins.

Thick hair needs more support for certain styles, in my opinion, until it gets very long or else has fairy tale ends that will wind around and help secue things. At nearly hip I can do a lot more than I could even 4 inches ago. I often need to re-inforce the style with hidden hair bands, clips and Amish pins - not to hold the style itself in place, but as a foundation so that it stays secure. Try watching Abigail Goss tutorials on youtube. I think she has some of the best techniques for building up the foundation underneath her buns to get height and balance and visual interest.

Olivia23
September 24th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have the same problem. I am at BSL and found that layers help with putting it in a bun because the layers make the end length thinner, so it's easier for me to tuck it into my bun. Of course I have to deal with all the layers sticking out though.

PrincessBob
September 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I do watch Abigail Goss's videos, but she uses a lot of product and sometimes teases her hair, which I do not like either of those techniques. and her hair is superlong so she can do a lot of styles that mid-back girls cannot achieve, yet.
I couldn't do a nautilus bun for a long time. Try looking at the way you insert your hair sticks, too, because I was doing it very wrong for years and much pulling and falling of hair occurred (and still does,sometimes). If you cannot fit it through the hole, set up a wider hole using more fingers for the wrap.
At this point if your hair is too short, try separating them sections as so many have suggested. It may not be exactly what you were hoping for, but will still look nice and be great practice for when you have hair long enough to do precisely what you want. I do side-by-side buns (some people call them mickey mouse ears, dumplings, or meatballs). I was finally able to do milk-maid braids by separating out about a third of my hair at the center back and braiding it down and then making the pigtails and wrapping them. I still have the braid at the back, but I was finally able to get the wrapped braids look.
If all else fails I suggest patience and practice. Try doing it on other people (I use my spouse's long but i-thick hair to practice a lot of up-dos). This is how I know I can french roll, but not on myself..

halo_tightens
September 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I feel your pain! I can't do any of the buns I'd like to do yet.

My MAJOR goal is a lazy wrap done with all of my hair, instead of the half-up version I wear most days. I tried it again last night with a very thin and strong metal stick, and I actually got it for once! It was really tight, though; it's the only way I could get it to work at all. I'd never manage it with a thicker or less sturdy stick. But it did stay up for a good hour or so before I took it back down to relieve the pulling.

On the plus side, it was pretty darned big while it lasted! ;)

arwenevenstar37
September 24th, 2010, 01:40 PM

This is a gerat tip!! Thanks a lot I will try it, also the variation with the accent braids :)

Thanks a lot for all the advice :)

little_acorn
September 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Accent braids are definitely your friends with thick hair. I'm growing out layers so I can do some of the buns that otherwise I might not be able too, but when I had a trim recently (1.5 inch ish) I struggled to do the nautilus again as I'd lost the layer that used to hold it and I'm pretty close to waist. Accent braids really help :)

Jessikinz
September 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Great trick! My hair seemed to have gain a lot of thickness since my last trim. Making it difficult to do certain buns.