PDA

View Full Version : How often to trim??

SupermanSeven
September 24th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering how often to trim your hair if you are trying to gain length as much as possible? I've trimmed about an 1 in. every 3 months because I want to achieve a blunt hemline. My bangs are not the same length as the rest of my hair so I'm also waiting for them to catch up. Is this a good method? Your help is much appreciated.

mariika
September 24th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Bump! I want opinions and details on this as well.

Antipodienne
September 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I trim about once per year, about 2 inches at a time. I find it gives me a chance to see exactly what damage I want to cut off.
My plan to thicken my hemline is to first get to my temp. goal of TB, then just maintain there. I will probably trim regularly (every 6 weeks-ish) until my ten or so inches of crap hair are trimmed away.

Anje
September 24th, 2010, 11:52 AM
It really depends on how evenly your hair grows and whether you want to keep the blunt hemline or get as much length as humanly possible. Some folks don't ever trim and keep the splits at bay by search and destroy only. If you can protect from damage, the fastest way to gain length is certainly not to cut any of it off! Most of us get damage eventually, though, so how much gets trimmed is based on what's necessary to keep the damage under control.

spidermom
September 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM
How much and how often to trim varies widely. I've been very satisfied with trimming 1/2 inch every 3 months, but I haven't trimmed since January of this year because my ends are in pretty good shape, and I want to gain as much length as possible. So really - there is no right or wrong answer. Trim as much or as little as you want or think you need.

florenonite
September 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Unless you have very fast growth, it will take you a long time to see progress if you trim 1" every 3 months. The average person's hair grows 1/2" per month, so you'll grow 1.5", cut 1", for a net gain of 1/2" every 3 months, or 2" a year. However, if your hemline or ends would suffer if you trimmed less frequently, this might be the best course of action for you.

My hair seems best with trimming an inch or so a year. I usually do this in a lump when I decide the ends are damaged, but I wonder if several trims of 1/4" every 3/4 month mightn't be better.

In the end, it's what works for you that decides how often you trim. I would suggest starting at, say, 1/2" every 3-4 months and go from there. If that seems like too little, up it to 3/4". If your hair seems fine, try reducing it to 1/4" or stretching out the time between trims until you find your hair suffering.

Spike
September 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Well, hair grows at an average of ½ inch per month. So if you trim 1 inch every three months, you have cut away 2/3s of your growth. This will absolutely keep your hemline blunt, but you will grow very slowly to your goal length.

I see you’re looking for 56 inches at the final. Even by LHC standards and measurements, that’s some long hair! Thus, it becomes a question of which is more important to you—the blunt hemline, or the ultimate goal length?

I’m in the same boat, but what’s currently keeping me from clipping is that I wear my hair up all the time. In a bun, no one can see the last sheer inches. And if I cut for a blunt hemline, I’ll be just barely APL instead of “can I call this BSL?” If you want to wear your hair down a lot, then the hemline may matter more than the sheer length. Conversely, you may choose length and just live with the taper and fairytailing.

Heidi_234
September 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Like others already mentioned, it mainly depends on how fast your hair grows. Average growth is usually around 0.5", so my rule of the thumb (from the trimming pact) is trim every other month at best, and no more than one inch each time. That would prevent me from trimming more than I grow, as I still want to gain length.

How long are your bangs? I grew out mine too, and at the point when they stopped to come loose when I wore my hair back/up, even though they are far shorter than my length, they barely made a difference anymore. Maybe you don't need them to catch up, but need them to grow out until they don't bother you, so there's no actual need in frequent trims.

My advice - keep track of your growth and your trimmings (excel is awesome for that). Make sure you don't trim too often or too much, and make it work with your hair growth. You'll have a calculated growth plan and a good sense of how much would this or that trim "cost" you length-wise.

Henrietta
September 24th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I'd start to cut less often if I were you. If you want to gain length... You can always wait for your bangs to catch up when you will be at your goal length. What about cutting an inch every three months? You could still maintain straight hemline and also gain some length.

torrilin
September 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM
My hair has historically grown pretty fast. With every 8 week trims of about 1/2", it takes me about 2 years to go from pixie to BSL. Cutting back to trims every 6 months or so does not produce noticeable speed increases for me in terms of growth. Yeah, there's probably some, but it's not a huge deal.

The longer your hair is, the longer it will take to "grow out" your bangs. This means I usually stop around chin length (the only short length I really tolerate) and grow out bangs if I am unfortunate enough to have had them inflicted upon me. Once everything is evened out, the march down through the hell of chin length to long enough to braid is not so bad. Your hair is as hard to manage as the shortest length strands, so if flyaways and loose bits drive you batty, getting to a manageable blunt cut ASAP is important.

Cinnamon Hair
September 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
If you want to gain as much length as possible then don't trim at all. You can do s&d (search and destroy) missions where you look at each individual hair end and clip any that are split with good quailty hair scissors. Otherwise, if the hair isn't damaged there is no need to trim, unless the hemline concerns you. Personally while growing I preferred to only trim once a year, between 1-2" or however much I felt comfortable with.

Neneka
September 25th, 2010, 02:32 AM
How many of you actually go to a real hairdresser for a trim? I have developped a phobia towards them. They always cut too much and make me feel uneasy and it's too expensive for me anyway. I just cut my hair myself. I also cut my boyfriends' hair because he too does not want to pay for a hair cut.

Kathie
September 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I'm trimming ~1cm every three months at the moment. I’m not opposed to not trimming at all, one day that may well be me, but I have some heat and dye damage to tend to as I grow.

I'm still going to the hairdressers- I'm not too worried about them taking to much because that hair has to go at some point. But I always ask them to take off the smallest amount that they can.

Sundial
September 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I used to trim every month because I thought it was necessary for healthy hair, but a long hair friend (hip length) commented that my hair barely seem to grow even though I said I was trying to grow it out.

She told me that I should not be cutting if I want to grow it out and that was probably the best advice that I got. I started stretching out the time between trims and trimming less each time (0.5" or less). The longest period that I have gone without a trim so far is 5 months and my hemline has not started to fairytale yet. I am not planning to trim anymore until I hit tailbone, but I intend to continue with frequent S&Ds.

Why don't you try growing it out without trims and only trimming when you notice your hemline getting uneven?? That way you get both a neat hemline and you still maximize your growth length. You can still do S&Ds in-between. I have gone for 5 months without noticing any changes to my hemline and you can imagine the amount of growth I managed to keep!